Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’m sort of a newb.  Who was Carl 

A poster who keeps getting negged off the board by the crowd, but who isn't clever enough to change his posting pattern so that it's obvious within two or three posts who he is

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So if we believe this person is actually real, they must have Duncanville connections?

If you’re talking about horn from Dallas, he says he’s the cousin of a 5 star sophomore and gets told what’s in the players’ group text. Most people think the cousin he’s describing is Whittington. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah. It might even be commitable, he's not an awful take. He is an awful TWO takes, which his deadweight brother means for aggy.

Ehhh. I really doubt that. He’s not trending in a good direction. I’m 100% sure the tOSU offer isn’t acceptable. I’d be skeptical about Texas. A real top 3 of aggy, Baylor, and Nebraska seems more likely. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh. I really doubt that. He’s not trending in a good direction. I’m 100% sure the tOSU offer isn’t acceptable. I’d be skeptical about Texas. A real top 3 of aggy, Baylor, and Nebraska seems more likely. 

Yeah if that tOSU offer was commitable he'd be already be sending his brother Greetings from the Buckeye State postcards and talking about how the Short North is just as cool as Over The Rhine if you really spend some time there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Texas making progress with top defensive target?

The fall season may be in question, but recruiting moves on. As conferences make decisions about their fall schedules, coaches continue to recruit any way possible. Over the weekend, I spoke with several sources and prospects to get the latest on their recruitments. The Longhorns are moving into a strong position for one of the top defensive targets on the board, and I have the latest.

Texas is trying to close in on finishing the defensive back class, and I caught up with sources surrounding the top safety prospect left on the board. I also spoke to several 2021 wide receiver targets to see where things stand between them and Texas. In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we bring you all that plus updates on several 2022 targets high on the Longhorns.

—As Texas sorts through options on the defensive line, all eyes will turn towards Shemar Turner. The four-star defensive lineman from DeSoto recently released a top five schools list which included Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M. The Top247 defensive lineman is a priority for each of those schools and one of the most highly-regarded prospects in the state of Texas. I spoke with sources near Turner over the weekend and it sounds like Texas is in a good position.

As I’ve maintained over the last few months, the Longhorns have been putting in a ton of work on this front. According to two sources I spoke with, Texas seems to hold a lead right now with Alabama and A&M trailing closely. LSU and Georgia are also in the picture, but I was told the first three have the best chance right now. Of course, this is subject to change, but those I spoke with thought Turner would ultimately stay close to home from what they know.

—Oscar Giles has been able to make a strong connection with Turner’s uncle, but this is a group effort from what I’m told. Chris Ash and Mark Hagen are also involved while Jay Valai is increasing his involvement as well. Several commits are working on Turner as well including Ishmael Ibraheem and JD Coffey. Jordon Thomas visited Austin early in the spring with Turner and struck up a relationship with each other. He’s also been involved from a recruiting standpoint. The Desoto staff also has some pro-Texas members including four former Texas alums.

Nobody there is pushing Turner to Austin, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have those voices in his ear. I was told that Turner still plans to make his decision in the fall and he’s watching Texas closely to see how the defense looks this year. It sounds like that’s a common theme among prospects. Several high school coaches have stressed that this is a crucial year for Texas on the field with their kids.

—Despite the good news, nothing is done at this point. With Turner still looking at a fall decision, Alabama and Texas A&M won’t be easy to put away. Alabama has a great record with putting defensive linemen in the NFL, and Turner has a really strong relationship with Texas A&M defensive line coach Terry Price. With Turner on the rise heading into his senior year, it should be quite a race for him down the stretch.

—I spoke with a source near Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba. The four-star prospect could be the last piece to the Longhorns’ secondary class in 2021, but they will have to hold off a few other schools. Clemson and LSU are the two I’ve heard the most buzz around recently, but it sounds like Clemson is really the biggest threat at this point. The biggest part of his decision could come down to official visits in the fall.

Mukuba has been clear that he would need to visit a school before committing to that program, and the possibility of not having official visits this year could play in favor of Texas.  If official visits happen, Clemson will certainly be a threat and LSU could factor in as well. If visits don’t happen, it sounds like Texas could be the odds-on favorite. Mukuba would probably be the last take in the secondary for Texas, so I’ve decided to put my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Manor DB Devin Lemear to Baylor.

—I spoke with 2022 Garland safety Chace Biddle over the weekend. Texas was one of the first schools to offer the Top247 prospect, and he told me that they are his leader at the moment. The biggest difference for Biddle has been the way Texas approached his recruitment and the fact that they believed in him from the very beginning. Biddle said he has a strong relationship with both Chris Ash and Jay Valai, and both of those assistants emphasize a full approach to everything instead of just talking football. It’s early, but the Longhorns are knocking this recruitment out of the park. Biddle also mentioned Oklahoma and Texas A&M to me, but he made it clear that Texas is the leader. I’ve decided to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas with a confidence level of 8. I don’t believe a decision is coming anytime soon, but Texas is out to a big head start.

—I spoke with Lexington (KY) Frederick Douglass wide receiver Dekel Crowdus over the weekend. He made it clear that he keeps in regular contact with Texas and some of the commits in the class. That said, I don’t get the feeling he’s anywhere close to coming off of his commitment to Kentucky. Not only that, Crowdus mentioned he was in contact with several other schools he’s considering as well. We will have a full story with him later today.

—I caught up with Royce City wide receiver Ketron Jackson last week to get the latest on his recruitment. He told me that he still stays in regular contact with Texas and actually spoke with Tom Herman during the middle of the week. Herman was on his vacation, but he made sure to reach out to Jackson. Texas will get an official visit from Jackson if he can take them, but I get the feeling that they are in third place (at best) right now. TCU and Arkansas are the perceived top two, and I think Arkansas is gaining an edge from talking with Jackson. I’m putting in a Crystal Ball for the Razorbacks as of now.

—2022 Humble Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks decommitted from Oklahoma State last night. Texas offered before he made his original commitment. Banks was actually on the phone with Texas just prior to making the decommitment public. The Longhorns are ramping contact back up over the last month and making a play for him along with Texas A&M who recently offered. Banks liked Oklahoma State because Stillwater had a small town environment, so that could work against Texas going forward. That said, this could be a race between Texas and Texas A&M early.

• Like 6

On 7/5/2020 at 5:09 PM, Moderator said:

That's essentially how any interaction in society works.  Those with power dictate terms.  Your employer tells you how to act.  Whether they have enough power to make their demands is the deciding factor if something happens.  Since the players bring in a lot of revenue, I'm going to guess that almost all the demands will be met.  Also who is the "them" they telling how to act?  I doubt CDC or Hartzell give a shit about keeping anything the same.  

The revenue largely comes from the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

"Several high school coaches have stressed that this is a crucial year for Texas on the field with their kids."

Then how is Aggie even in this conversation?  

They're not.  They recruit the Eastern Corridor now.

• Like 2

Bit of a saga unfolding.

Adonai Mitchell has decommitted from Ole Miss publicly, though he apparently told Ole Miss on May 15th. Then, The Tennessean newspaper ran a story that he was committing to Georgia on Sunday. Then, sources told 247 that he decommitted from Georgia....on Sunday night. He has put out zero info on twitter. 

https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Whats-going-on-with-Adonai-Mitchell-149102586/

https://247sports.com/Player/Adonai-Mitchell-46085140/

We offered on 6/30, he's from Texas and coming back to play his senior season (if there is one). Texas expected to receive a visit before he committed anywhere. 

Best guess is he isn't a take for Georgia and didn't find out until after the story ran. Wild stuff. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Bit of a saga unfolding.

Adonai Mitchell has decommitted from Ole Miss publicly, though he apparently told Ole Miss on May 15th. Then, The Tennessean newspaper ran a story that he was committing to Georgia on Sunday. Then, sources told 247 that he decommitted from Georgia....on Sunday night. He has put out zero info on twitter. 

https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Whats-going-on-with-Adonai-Mitchell-149102586/

https://247sports.com/Player/Adonai-Mitchell-46085140/

We offered on 6/30, he's from Texas and coming back to play his senior season (if there is one). Texas expected to receive a visit before he committed anywhere. 

Best guess is he isn't a take for Georgia and didn't find out until after the story ran. Wild stuff. 

Hah, always kind of darkly funny watching impulsive teenagers discover that an "offer" can be uncommitable in real time.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Oscar Giles has been able to make a strong connection with Turner’s uncle, but this is a group effort from what I’m told. Chris Ash and Mark Hagen are also involved while Jay Valai is increasing his involvement as well. Several commits are working on Turner as well including Ishmael Ibraheem and JD Coffey.Jordon Thomas visited Austin early in the spring with Turner and struck up a relationship with each other. He’s also been involved from a recruiting standpoint. The Desoto staff also has some pro-Texas members including four former Texas alums.

This bullet point gruntles me. 

• Like 1

Scoop

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

TEAM

Mandatory team workouts began earlier this morning. These workouts replaced the “voluntary” ones. Workouts will remain similar to what we’ve previously reported: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, both feature a lifting and running/sprinting/agility session. Tuesdays and Thursday will be running sessions followed by player led positional work.

I asked how good of shape the team is in and heard it’s a mixed bag of players who were really working and those who did the minimum and are trying to work themselves into better shape now. I also heard, “but you can’t really prepare for McKnight.” Some players did improve their body composition while being away, while others more or less held serve. Given the missed oversight, I’ve heard the biggest concern from an S&C standpoint are the bigs. That stands to reason. Those guys are playing in the same elements while carrying 100 pounds more than some other players.

Along with workouts being mandatory, the coaches are afforded two hours per week with the players. This is similar to how things were pre-spring ball. This is valuable time and it’s mainly spent on walk-throughs without a football in which players are making checks and matching formations.

With workouts becoming mandatory the biggest question for us is whether or not DeMarvion Overshown would show up. That answer is ‘no,’ he’s not in Austin. It’ll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Overshown is switching positions and has had trouble staying healthy. Can you depend on him heading into the season?

[I’d ask BJ Foster if he’s willing to play Will. If not, it might be David Gbenda time]

That brings us to our next topics of Covid-19 and player protesting. Unfortunately, those topics must be covered this week, but it isn’t all bad.

Protesting: I’ve heard the school will make an announcement soon — likely today — on intentions of meeting player demands. I don’t know the exact details but I’m confident the song will stay, while the school will meet requests on other items. One person whose opinion matters to me based on who he is and what he’s done for the school thinks it’s a good deal all around. In situations like this you can never make everyone happy, but I think this is going to work out for the most part.

[If this announcement was going to go over like a lead balloon I think the announcement would happen on a late Friday afternoon]

Covid-19: Obviously everything is still on the table but from sources outside of UT circles I’ve heard the Big 12 will be in lockstep with the SEC and play as many games as possible. This matches my read of Chris Del Conte, but previously it didn’t match my read of the Big 12. We’ll see what happens when it comes to nut-cutting time but if there’s a way to play games this fall I think Texas will. That could be a big if. My knowledgeable source from the Friday Humidor wasn’t very optimistic.

RECRUITING

Today could be Junior Day at IT. Lots of targets who share their father's name on the docket.

While Texas' 2021 class remains at 14 pledges, the offensive side needs help. Let's catch up with a few names to know.

Malcolm Johnson, Jr, WR - St. Stephen's and St. Agnes HS in Bryans Road, MD: The 6-foot-1, 185-pound self-professed fastest receiver in the nation holds almost 30 offers, including OU, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Miami. Texas is making a push for his services, looking to add his speed and explosiveness to a wide receiver haul in need of such attributes. His 2019 campaign produced 832 yards, on 47 catches and seven touchdowns, and produced a 6.26 in 55 meters, per 247. Oklahoma and the hometown Terrapins seem to hold the early advantage, but I'm hearing he's really interested in visiting UT. Tom Herman is involved here, which ups the stakes a little.

Dekel Crowdus, WR - Frederick Douglass HS, Lexington, KY: I was able to catch up with the four-star stud from the southeast recently. While the dynamic playmaker is currently committed to UK, he's safe to say he's looking around. He noted how he's building a relationship with Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich, and is very open to a trip on the Forty Acres. With a verified 4.40 40, Crowdus wants to optimize that speed at the next level. He prefers a college with a great staff, great facilities, and the opportunity to play at the next level. See: Devin Duvernay, Dekel. If UT continues to grow with Crowdus, this is a recruitment I'd watch closely.

Now, on to the 2022 class.

While we've all wondered who might be the first pledge of the '22 class, Texas looks good for a few of the state's top prospects. Add another name to the list.

Kelvin Banks Jr, OT - Humble Summer Creek: A quiet, relative unknown burst on the scene last month after a strong camp. Inside Texas readers have read about him in the past, and the 6-foot-5, 285-pounder is starting to heat up. After an early pledge to the Mullet, Banks de-committed from Oklahoma State yesterday. That might've been coming. Now, Banks catches calls from college coaches on the daily. Texas, LSU, Auburn, USC, Oregon, and Texas A&M are establishing relationships and he's in no hurry to make another commitment anytime soon. Herb Hand has been more proactive here than late, and Banks is certainly receptive to the Horns. Don't be surprised if this kid is a national guy in 6-9 months.

Bobby Taylor Jr, - Katy: The four-star corner with East Texas roots - Bobby Taylor played at Longview, Notre Dame, then the NFL for a decade - is really enjoying his recruitment. Like, a lot. He recently dropped his Top 12 - LSU, Texas, Alabama, Texas A&M, TCU, and Auburn are a few on the table. While the in-state crop of talent at corner is stacked for 2022, Taylor might be a take if others - Denver Harris, Jaylon Guilbeau, Austin Jordan - fall through. He's a fan of the Longhorns and really wants to visit the ATX. But I get the sense he's a fan of most schools.

And then there's the Class of 2023.

Anthony Hill Jr, LB - Denton Ryan: At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, he might be one of the best prospects in Texas, and the nation for 2023. he played sparingly for the Raiders' state championship runner-up team last fall, and looks to be a starter on an absolutely loaded 2020 squad. His dad introduced him to football at a young age and has been in love ever since. His main goal right now it's recruiting - despite LSU, Alabama, and FSU offering recently. His goal is getting back to state and winning this season. He's a young monster that will be a national recruit over the next year or so. And he just so happens to really like the Longhorns. I'm sure Sanders and Bowman have nice things to say too.

• Like 5

Buckle up

https://president.utexas.edu/messages-speeches-2020/a-more-diverse-and-welcoming-campus?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=UTAustinSocial

A More Diverse and Welcoming Campus
July 13, 2020

Dear UT Community,

During the past month, I have listened to — and spoken with — scores of students about how The University of Texas at Austin can promote diversity, inclusion and equity and fully support our Black students.

These and similar conversations with alumni, faculty, staff and community members have been challenging, fulfilling and eye-opening all at the same time. I went into them understanding that UT has worked hard in recent decades to become a more diverse and welcoming campus. I came out of them realizing there is still more work to do — and that this work starts and ends by creating an environment in which students, faculty and staff are fully supported before, during and after their time at UT.

This goal is shared by many, including the Chairman of our Board of Regents, Kevin Eltife. The Chairman and I have worked closely during the past few weeks, and I’ve been grateful for his ideas and inspiration. I am excited by the next steps and future conversations that are emerging from this process, and I know that Chairman Eltife, our university leadership and I share a common goal of making UT the best it can be for all of our students, faculty, staff and alumni for many years to come.

The number of Black undergraduate students on campus has risen by nearly 9% during the past five years, and we are also optimistic about enrollment in this fall’s entering class.With support from the Board of Regents, we have launched the $160 million Texas Advance Commitment and programs such as UT for Me, which are providing many eligible Black students, among many others, with millions of dollars of additional financial support and resources to ease the financial burden for them to attend UT. 

Even so, our Black students still comprise only 5.1% of the student body. And during the past five years, more than 1,900 Black students who were automatically accepted here given their outstanding performance in high school instead chose to go elsewhere. Obviously, these talented students had many college options and made choices for a variety of reasons. Equally obvious to me is that many of those talented students do not believe our campus will be a welcoming home to them, and that we have not provided enough resources to ensure they will get all that is possible out of a UT education. I have heard this from current and former students, from faculty members, and from staff members. It is clear from these conversations and from the data I’ve reviewed that we can do better. So, together with the support of other members of university leadership, I am announcing a series of initiatives today to change that. 

These efforts fall into two categories. First: doing more to recruit, attract, retain and support even more talented and diverse students, staff members and faculty members who can change the world. And second: reconsidering how to best reflect our values, both in the symbols and names on our campus, and the openness with which we tell our history.

Every action we take must support the people who make UT such a special place and must fulfill our mission to teach, learn and discover.

To recruit, attract, retain and support talented and diverse students, faculty and staff, we will:

Work with a group of students, faculty, staff and alumni to allocate a multimillion-dollar investment from Athletics’ revenue to worthy university programs — whether on or off campus – that work to recruit, attract, retain and support Black students. We expect that our investments will include at a minimum:

Expanding our presence and outreach in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and elsewhere to better recruit outstanding high school students from underrepresented groups. We will raise additional funds to establish more private scholarships specifically dedicated to recruiting students such as those 1,900 Black students who were accepted here and chose to go elsewhere. 

Providing significant new resources to expand programs that provide transformative opportunities for future Black leaders, including some of the outstanding work already being done within the university. 

In conjunction with the Texas Exes and using a new program within Texas Athletics as a pilot project, launch an effort to improve our students’ ability to position themselves for post-graduation success. This will maximize the impact of our vast alumni network and corporate relationships. 

Adopt a university-wide plan to recruit, develop and retain world-class facultymembers who bring more diversity to our research and teaching missions. This plan has been in the works for more than a year under the leadership of Vice Provost for Diversity Ted Gordon and includes new funding for research and scholarship.

Refocus and sharpen the implementation of our Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan (UDIAP), which was released in 2017. We will regularly signal our priorities, commitment and progress toward measurable goals through a refreshed and better-communicated plan, overseen by Vice President Leonard Moore.

Expand the UT Austin Police Oversight Committee to include more community members and a broader range of students, have it meet more frequently, and broaden its mission to oversee student and community engagement, communications and the exploration of creative approaches to community policing, on-campus safety and wellness issues. 

The second set of actions addresses issues related to our campus and its symbols. After listening to many constituents, I’ve based these decisions on our role as an institution of higher education that is designed to teach and enable discovery. In doing so, I’ve relied upon the input I’ve received from our students, faculty, staff and alumni, and the work to date of our Campus Contextualization Committee, chaired by Vice President Leonard Moore.

I have weighed the effects that specific individuals or symbols have made on our university; how they fit with our values today; and the opportunities we have to use the stories surrounding these individuals and symbols to educate, to learn, and ultimately, to move us closer together as a community.

To ensure that we recognize and learn from our history and reflect our values through our campus symbols, we will: 

Rename the Robert L. Moore Building as the Physics, Math and Astronomy Building and provide historical explanations within the building about why past university leaders chose to name the space for Professor Moore.

Honor Heman M. Sweatt in additional ways: by creating the Heman M. Sweatt Entrance to T.S. Painter Hall as the main entrance on 24th Street; placing a statue of Mr. Sweatt near the entrance; and then reimagining, redesigning and rededicating a major space in the building as an exhibit and gathering place where we will tell the story of the U.S. Supreme Court case of Sweatt v. Painter. This will recognize Mr. Sweatt’s courage and leadership in changing the world through the 1950 case that he won, allowing him and other Black students to attend UT. This will also place Painter Hall within the context of our university’s resistance to integration under T.S. Painter’s presidency, and ultimately to the Sweatt decision’s crucial role in integrating public education. 

Honor the Precursors, the first Black undergraduates to attend The University of Texas at Austin, by commissioning a new monument on the East Mall. This will be the central feature of a larger space dedicated to the pioneering students and faculty members who helped move the university toward becoming more inclusive. 

Erect a statue for Julius Whittier, the Longhorns’ first Black football letterman, at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium.

At the suggestion of the Jamail family, rename Joe Jamail Field at the stadium in honor of Texas’ two great Heisman Trophy winners, Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams, two Longhorn legends with a record of commitment to the university. 

Educate our community and visitors about the history and context of many of the names that remain, such as the Littlefield Fountain, the statue of Gov. Jim Hogg, the Belo Center and the pedestals on which a series of statues stood until 2017. Building on the work done by the Campus Contextualization Committee, this education may take the form of plaques and a website that our community and visitors can easily access from their phones.

Own, acknowledge and teach about all aspects of the origins of “The Eyes of Texas” as we continue to sing it moving forward with a redefined vision that unites our community. 

“The Eyes of Texas,” in its current form, will continue to be our alma mater. Aspects of its origin, whether previously widely known or unknown, have created a rift in how the song is understood and celebrated, and that must be fixed. It is my belief that we can effectively reclaim and redefine what this song stands for by first owning and acknowledging its history in a way that is open and transparent.

Together, we have the power to define what the Eyes of Texas expect of us, what they demand of us, and what standard they hold us to now. "The Eyes of Texas" should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history. Only then can we reimagine its future, and I look forward to partnering with our campus community to do just that.

These are the actions we will take together. They represent the continued evolution of our university, which has been taking place for 137 years and will carry forward for generations to come. 

As we develop the details for these plans, I will share them publicly.

To all who have been so candid with me about your frustrations, your concerns, your experiences and your beliefs — thank you. It has been a humbling experience to hear and learn from you. 

Respectfully yours,

Jay Hartzell
Interim President

Co-Signed by:

Daniel Jaffe
Interim Executive Vice President and Provost

Darrell Bazzell
Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Soncia Reagins-Lilly
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Leonard Moore
Vice President for Diversity and Community Engagement

Chris Del Conte
Vice President and Athletics Director

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So they didn't get the Eyes changed, and some of the monuments keep their names, but they got the dang football field renamed (pretty cool of the Jamails) and a whole bunch of new programs/statuary/etc..

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

All of this sounds extremely fair. Was surprised to hear they're renaming the Field but interesting that the Jamails suggested the change.

• Like 5

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Despite commitment, Dekel Crowdus still listening to others

Spoiler

Despite commitment, Dekel Crowdus still listening to others

MikeRoach

Dekel Crowdus is committed to Kentucky, but that isn’t stopping Texas from pursuing him.

The four-star wide receiver from Lexington (KY) Frederick Douglass High School has been in contact with the Texas staff. The Longhorns are making their pitch for the speedy slot led by Texas wide receivers coach Andre Coleman.

“I’ve been talking with the Texas receiver coach,” he said. “He’s a good person. He stays in contact with me. He’s always checking up on me and stuff like that.”

Crowdus is an electric presence with verified 4.4 speed in the 40 yard dash. He knows that Texas loves to feature the slot as a big part of the offense.

“They always keep a fast, little slot and they throw that rock to him like they did this past year,” Crowdus said.

Crowdus has been learning about how much production Texas slots put up over the last two years and he said the opportunity to play in that type of offense means a lot to him.

“It means a lot to me,” he said. “I can get the ball and just take off.”

COVID-19 is threatening the football season and official visits. If Crowdus can take his trips, he plans to visit Texas while taking all five of his planned trips this fall.

“Yeah for sure,” he said. “I plan to take all five of my official visits if we can.”

Texas isn’t the only school on Crowdus. He mentioned Ole Miss and a few others as schools recruiting him hard right now.

“Texas, Ole Miss and a couple of more,” he said.

Texas commits have also been working on Crowdus. JD Coffey has been corresponding with him over social media for a long time, and Crowdus is now a part of the Texas commit group chat.

“I know JD from social media and stuff like that,” he said. “He’s just been telling me they need me and want to get me there. They put me in the group chat with them on snapchat. They are cool, but I ain’t really met them in person. They stay in contact for sure.”

At 5-foot-10.5, 165 pounds, Crowdus is ranked as the No. 43 wide receiver in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Kentucky, according to 247Sports Composite.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Every bit of this remains correct.

If you are a Texas fan and you don't have a fucking mountain of respect for Tom Herman and how he has handled this entire thing I don't know what to tell you. 

Yeah he comes off as an arrogant asshole but appears to be a decent guy in reality. Kinda the reverse of most CFB coaches.

• Like 4