Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You'd think that with Brent's work history (sports agent) that Blake would have a good idea of the scope of social media and how information spreads. Blake being surprised to find that a lot of Texas alums are very aware of how this is playing out and his role in it, is boomer-mode.  He's basically one of those assholes captured on video that are surprised to find that the entire internet saw the video of them showing their ass. 

Kristy? 

That reminds me, Kristy can get fucked too. She could have influenced her kids but instead she’s letting them go play football an 8 hour drive away or a fucking plane trip and a 90 minute drive away. For a shittier fucking education. She and her husband both can be named persona non grata in Austin until the end of time and then set on fire as far as I’m concerned. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

this actually isn't a bad idea. Who would write the questions we could rotate the questions once per week (those who have access keep access).
It won't be super automated, but theres definitely a way we can do this and have the recruiting board be a special permission to post in (anyone can view)

Dude I’ll write the questions for this happily. I promise to not abuse this and mock certain posters for my own amusement. 

There can also be something akin to “get permission 12 times and never have to take the quiz again” if that tech is feasible. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I still think he's been a qualified success as a coach. We'll see how he responds.

He will sign what appears to be an underwhelming OL class, and we will wait 3 years before we see if it was underwhelming or not. My guess is with the OL, just keep taking the high 3 stars to mid 4 stars and develop the shit out of them. You don't need a 2005 Texas OL to make the college football playoffs if you have a competent OC and above average developed OL.

The average 247 ranking of the 20 OL that started in the CFP was .9009, with 2 guys that were at the level of T. Brockermeyer, though there were 3 more that were in the high 4 star ratings. 

Clemson - .9090

Ohio State - .9084

OU - .8967

LSU - .8895

11 guys received a composite score under .9000, and currently Texas has 15 OL with an average composite of .8935.

I feel like this board picks and chooses which assistants to shit on based on if they just like them personally or not.

Hand has objectively done a poor job this cycle so far, It’s okay to point that out. You don’t have to go off the deep end about it, but OL recruiting is a mess right now even outside of the Brocks and Hand shouldn’t get a pass on that, it’s his position group. 

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I feel like this board picks and chooses which assistants to shit on based on if they just like them personally or not.

Hand has objectively done a poor job this cycle so far, It’s okay to point that out. You don’t have to go off the deep end about it, but OL recruiting is a mess right now even outside of the Brocks and Hand shouldn’t get a pass on that, it’s his position group. 

It's why I said qualified success - last year he did a good job recruiting (4 4-stars in a down year is nice work) and a generally good job coaching - the line was clearly better, but had a couple high profile farts that might or might not have been been more based on play-calling.

This year's OL recruiting has been pretty shitty and it's weird we haven't seen many backup plan offers, so it's not over, but it's been weird to watch, given his track record.

The Brocks can go fuck themselves, though, boy have they seemed like divas, especially Blake.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He will sign what appears to be an underwhelming OL class, and we will wait 3 years before we see if it was underwhelming or not. My guess is with the OL, just keep taking the high 3 stars to mid 4 stars and develop the shit out of them. You don't need a 2005 Texas OL to make the college football playoffs if you have a competent OC and above average developed OL.

The average 247 ranking of the 20 OL that started in the CFP was .9009, with 2 guys that were at the level of T. Brockermeyer, though there were 3 more that were in the high 4 star ratings. 

Clemson - .9090

Ohio State - .9084

OU - .8967

LSU - .8895

11 guys received a composite score under .9000, and currently Texas has 15 OL with an average composite of .8935.

We all thought the transition class 2 man OL haul was underwhelming, but will be 2 big time hits.  Only problem is if no HS season to be able to identify a Hookfin or Karic for this class.

Offering and getting Ezra would easily make up for missing on James, but Tommy has no replacement.  Whatever the hell happened with Savion Byrd is still puzzling.

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, I don't think that saying Herman and Blake are the primary reasons that the Brocks aren't coming here excuses Hand for the rest of the cycle. It's not a binary HAND GOOD or HAND BAD. It's not his fault the Brocks are off to Alabama and it is his fault this class is currently a mess. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's why I said qualified success - last year he did a good job recruiting (4 4-stars in a down year is nice work) and a generally good job coaching with a couple high profile farts that might or might not have been been more based on play-calling.

This year's OL recruiting has been pretty shitty and it's weird we haven't seen many backup plan offers, so that's not been ideal. 

The Brocks can go fuck themselves, though, boy have they seemed like divas, especially Blake.

I’m over the Brocks, it’s the lack of movement outside of them that is frustrating me about Hand. If we offer Oyetade in the next two days right after the Brocks commit, I’m gonna lose it. 

1.  Education

2.  Anyone want to wager Saban is not there in four years?

3.  A commitment to Alabama under Saban is a year to year proposition in terms of your scholarship.  A commitment to Texas under Herman is also year to year, but there was zero chance that Herman would pressure a legacy to transfer.

4.  Herman did a solid for your other kid.

Regardless, I am completely OK with Brocks choosing Alabama or going elsewhere if they think that is in there best interest.  

But don't recruit Milroe in a group chat.  Don't do your Dad's alma matter wrong like that even if you or he personally despise Herman or Hand.  It's a bush league move to your brother's football team (at least currently).

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I might have a little less animosity for Herman if he kicks Luke off the team.  It would make me smile.

Can a T ring be repossessed?

You should be ashamed, Blake.  You are no longer welcome here.

T-Ring-1-300x225.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Whatever, best of luck to them. Crystal clear now that they were never gonna come here, so ultimately we all got worked up over nothing.

I'm very comfortable with them never starting, having some guys who didn't shit all over our recruiting starting over them, picking up Sports Management degrees from Bama (or Tech or some shit if they transfer for playing time), and disappearing into the ether.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, deech said:

1.  Education

2.  Anyone want to wager Saban is not there in four years?

3.  A commitment to Alabama under Saban is a year to year proposition in terms of your scholarship.  A commitment to Texas under Herman is also year to year, but there was zero chance that Herman would pressure a legacy to transfer.

4.  Herman did a solid for your other kid.

Regardless, I am completely OK with Brocks choosing Alabama or going elsewhere if they think that is in there best interest.  

But don't recruit Milroe in a group chat.  Don't do your Dad's alma matter wrong like that even if you or he personally despise Herman or Hand.  It's a bush league move to your brother's football team (at least currently).

Thats the only problem anyone should have with this.  If the twins don't want to come here - whatever.  But don't try to steal this class' QB on your way out.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm very comfortable with them never starting, having some guys who didn't shit all over our recruiting starting over them, picking up Sports Management degrees from Bama (or Tech or some shit if they transfer for playing time), and disappearing into the ether.

This right here.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I mean at the risk of being a fucc boiiiyeeyee, are we continuing forward with the "Brocks crootin' Milroe to Bama" deal as 100% fact? 

As much as Bryce Foster's Mom putting the kibosh on UT.

So yes on both.

• Like 3

I mean at the risk of being a fucc boiiiyeeyee, are we continuing forward with the "Brocks crootin' Milroe to Bama" deal as 100% fact? 

His response didn't even really show that they were recruiting Milroe to Bama. To me, it was more of just trashing the Big XII

He's been pretty spot on. If a certain highly-touted DL releases a UT commitment video in the near-future I think we can safely say he wasn't bullshitting us.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Only problem is if no HS season to be able to identify a Hookfin or Karic for this class.

It'll be more challenging for sure. I will say that I've seen a lot of people talking about Leyrer here and I get it, but I will say that one guy that I think fits the athletic/frame/build/mentality that we've seen this staff pursue in Hookfin, Jones, etc ... is De'Kedrick Sterns from Del Valle. I think he checks a lot of boxes in terms of late-risers at OT. 

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Whatever the hell happened with Savion Byrd is still puzzling.

Well, he couldn't start for his own HS and a lot of teams have gone hot-and-cold on recruiting him because they were very much in a holding pattern of wanting to see if he could actually beat out Early and if he did would he perform to his potential and develop as the season went on. His ranking was, and remains, all about potential. He has a great frame and performed really well at a couple of camps as a JR-to-be but he is a project and his rating is very much about potential -  very low floor, very high ceiling. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dude I’ll write the questions for this happily. I promise to not abuse this and mock certain posters for my own amusement. 

There can also be something akin to “get permission 12 times and never have to take the quiz again” if that tech is feasible. 

image.png.f2eda017d4463c9f6cd855d7bc6d581a.png

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So they didn't want to come to Texas because Herman is an asshole, but they are going to go play for Saban?

As I understand it, unlike Clemson and Texas, Bama started out with the the "omg James you're so great also" sell while happily recruiting some better interior guys at the same time. Apparently McKnight and the Clemson S&C guy both had some very honest criticism and Blake got real pissy about it.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's been pretty spot on. If a certain highly-touted DL releases a UT commitment video in the near-future I think we can safely say he wasn't bullshitting us.

Shemar Turner committing in the next 72 hours would be quite splendid. 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Did you see the twitter like from Tommy posted earlier in this thread? It would seem to confirm it. It's a VERY weird like otherwise. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's why I said qualified success - last year he did a good job recruiting (4 4-stars in a down year is nice work)

This cycle has definitely been a fart so far on the OL even if you blame Herman for the Brocks. 

But people have selective memory. 

1) In '18 Hand did a good job with a late addition of Christian Jones. Looking like our starting RT and is apparently a stud in the making. 

2) In '19 Hand landed Johnson (#57 composite recruit), Hookfin (#250 composite), Shepherd (#338 composite), Tyler (JUCO). 3 blue-chips. 

3) In '20 Hand landed Majors (#194 composite), Gerth (#259 composite), Parr (#276 composite), and Karic (#361 composite). 4 more blue-chips. 

4) Hand also landed 2 highly sought after grad transfers in Braun and Anderson. Lots of schools wanted those guys. 

Hand was arguably one of the top recruiters on staff before this cycle and to classify his recruiting as "below average" is just complete stupidity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Well, he couldn't start for his own HS and a lot of teams have gone hot-and-cold on recruiting him because they were very much in a holding pattern of wanting to see if he could actually beat out Early and if he did would he perform to his potential and develop as the season went on. 

This is a mischaracterization. Duncanville needed help at DL and Byrd was best available, he took one for the team.

Duncanville does have two other good OTs, but I’m not sure either one of them is as good as Byrd on offense, and I know neither one of them are as good as him on defense, which is why Byrd was the one who made the switch 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It'll be more challenging for sure. I will say that I've seen a lot of people talking about Leyrer here and I get it, but I will say that one guy that I think fits the athletic/frame/build/mentality that we've seen this staff pursue in Hookfin, Jones, etc ... is De'Kedrick Sterns from Del Valle. I think he checks a lot of boxes in terms of late-risers at OT. 

Nahlin mentioned Cole Carson as a guy we should look at for LT