Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, texifornia said:

I'll tell you what, he looks like an Arkansas commit: https://247sports.com/player/cole-carson-46098660/

Counterpoint: he also looks just like a guy who would come to Austin’s grow an exaggerated handlebar mustache, wear some novelty suspenders, and whine that he can’t graduate with a degree in mixology with a minor in lute playing. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Counterpoint: he also looks just like a guy who would come to Austin’s grow an exaggerated handlebar mustache, wear some novelty suspenders, and whine that he can’t graduate with a degree in mixology with a minor in lute playing. 

9693686.jpg

Is this the face of a man who excels at the lute?

Yes Yes A Thousand Times Yes Starz GIF by Blunt Talk - Find ...

Oh and way too much sunshine for our taste.

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just now, Thiefery said:

What could Hand have done different?  Fawn all over James for his dad's amusement instead of telling him what he really thought he was?

You've got a point. Coaches have always been completely honest with every recruit about their priority, position, redshirt years, playing time, depth charts, etc. No reason to break that trend now.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

What could Hand have done different?  Fawn all over James for his dad's amusement instead of telling him what he really thought he was?

Offer more backup plans. We got caught in the worst of both worlds where we didn't kowtow at the start, but then have been too respectful through now in terms of not offering more guys.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This cycle has definitely been a fart so far on the OL even if you blame Herman for the Brocks. 

But people have selective memory. 

1) In '18 Hand did a good job with a late addition of Christian Jones. Looking like our starting RT and is apparently a stud in the making. 

2) In '19 Hand landed Johnson (#57 composite recruit), Hookfin (#250 composite), Shepherd (#338 composite), Tyler (JUCO). 3 blue-chips. 

3) In '20 Hand landed Majors (#194 composite), Gerth (#259 composite), Parr (#276 composite), and Karic (#361 composite). 4 more blue-chips. 

4) Hand also landed 2 highly sought after grad transfers in Braun and Anderson. Lots of schools wanted those guys. 

Hand was arguably one of the top recruiters on staff before this cycle and to classify his recruiting as "below average" is just complete stupidity. 

Yep. Hand was known as a good recruiter coming to Texas and has a lot of success recruiting in his first two years like you mentioned. Everything was looking good for the 21 class until Beck/Herman put forth some of the shittiest, most uncreative game planning/play calling performances against OU, ISU, and Baylor. The OL never had a chance in those games. We did exactly what those defenses hoped we would do and everyone knew what was coming. 

Combine that with a shitty defense and a 7-5 record and  suddenly Hand starts to struggle in recruiting. There’s no denying this class is bad right now and will be a big negative for him if he doesn’t turn it around, but do we think his struggles are due to him all of a sudden forgetting how to recruit, or because Herman opened the flood gates on negative recruiting pitches against our OL and team in general? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Hasn't Nahlin been on full tilt with respect to Herman for a while?

Yeah, about 8 or so months. 

Hand’s class this year and the Brocks being cunts are actually almost completely independent failures IMO.   

The Brockermeyers were sucking off Clemson before their S&C guy hurt their widdle feelings. Go look up all the OL draft picks Clemson has sent to the NFL the last decade. Go ahead I’ll wait. And now tell me how wonderful the ACC is versus the Big 12 that theyre shitting all over. They’re parents didn’t push them to Texas, and I won’t speculate what Luke told them, but at the end of the day the parents didn’t stick up for Texas, and then their kids became poisoned. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Nahlin mentioned Cole Carson as a guy we should look at for LT

Fuck Nahlin even more, because I went and watched the HUDLs. Pittman is an excellent OL coach, so I can understand that he might see something I don't but this kid's lack of flexibility is on full display. It makes my lower back hurt just to watch this shit. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9705677/5de6b438664bbc09c06065a9

Compare him and his flexibility directly with Da'Kedric Sterns 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9746827/5dcd75482348190d883013dc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You think this is bad? Wait until next year when we'll probably go through this same song-and-dance with Quinn Ewers.

Not to be a masochist, but my 5 years too early prediction is Ewers>Trevor Lawrence. If he goes to OU, it’ll be like AP all over again, except worse, because he plays QB. 

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You think this is bad? Wait until next year when we'll probably go through this same song-and-dance with Quinn Ewers.

Full and peak satyanash promised a year from now. 

Except I don't recall Ewers's older brother, father, and grandfather all playing for the Texas Longhorns Football team. So it's a little different, dontcha think?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fuck, just wait til tomorrow when they actually commit publicly, the Football board reads about it in the AAS or on ESPN, and they trundle over with their HAWT TAEKS

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Hasn't Nahlin been on full tilt with respect to Herman for a while?

Nahlin's consistently said that the Brockermeyer twins are the biggest must-gets for Texas this cycle. And we didn't get them. So I don't know how much of today's reaction is related to his beef with Herman.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin's consistently said that the Brockermeyer twins are the biggest must-gets for Texas this cycle. And we didn't get them. So I don't know how much of today's reaction is related to his beef with Herman.

What about his tweet today that even Prince Dorbah knows it's time to offer Jack Leyrer?

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Except I don't recall Ewers's older brother, father, and grandfather all playing for the Texas Longhorns Football team. So it's a little different, dontcha think?

Except if we lose Ewers, it won't be to Alabama. It'll be to a much worse school, one that plays us every year.

Edited by satyanash

26 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He could’ve moved on.

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Hand was known as a good recruiter coming to Texas and has a lot of success recruiting in his first two years like you mentioned. Everything was looking good for the 21 class until Beck/Herman put forth some of the shittiest, most uncreative game planning/play calling performances against OU, ISU, and Baylor. The OL never had a chance in those games. We did exactly what those defenses hoped we would do and everyone knew what was coming. 

Combine that with a shitty defense and a 7-5 record and  suddenly Hand starts to struggle in recruiting. There’s no denying this class is bad right now and will be a big negative for him if he doesn’t turn it around, but do we think his struggles are due to him all of a sudden forgetting how to recruit, or because Herman opened the flood gates on negative recruiting pitches against our OL and team in general? 

This excuse could be made for almost every assistant, but for whatever reason, it’s not.

Edited by Lonestar88

49 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Well, he couldn't start for his own HS and a lot of teams have gone hot-and-cold on recruiting him because they were very much in a holding pattern of wanting to see if he could actually beat out Early and if he did would he perform to his potential and develop as the season went on. His ranking was, and remains, all about potential. He has a great frame and performed really well at a couple of camps as a JR-to-be but he is a project and his rating is very much about potential -  very low floor, very high ceiling. 

OU and LSU seem to be recruiting him pretty hard 

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You might. We’re not getting Ewers. Most here know that. But we know you’ll welcome the temporary company for anyone who joins you for some aggressive pussy rubbing when Ewers commits to Bama or OU. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This excuse could be made for almost every assistant, but for whatever reason, it’s not.

For the other offensive coaches:

Yurcich: Not known as a recruiter

Coleman: Not known as a recruiter, and has been defended on his coaching bonafides

Drayton: I guess could be defended more, but pretty openly doesn't recruit outside of his room, which is supposed to be a job requirement at RB coach

Edited by texifornia

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, about 8 or so months. 

Hand’s class this year and the Brocks being cunts are actually almost completely independent failures IMO.   

The Brockermeyers were sucking off Clemson before their S&C guy hurt their widdle feelings. Go look up all the OL draft picks Clemson has sent to the NFL the last decade. Go ahead I’ll wait. And now tell me how wonderful the ACC is versus the Big 12 that theyre shitting all over. They’re parents didn’t push them to Texas, and I won’t speculate what Luke told them, but at the end of the day the parents didn’t stick up for Texas, and then their kids became poisoned. 

An under appreciated aspect of the Brocks recruitment is the younger sibling aspect. Anyone who has grown up in family of multiple sons is probably familiar with It. The oldest son typically emulates the dad, especially if he’s highly accomplished. The middle/younger ones then often are the ones who want to go in different directions, even to the point of not doing something because it’s expected of them. Not saying it’s like that every time, but it’s a pattern that makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You might. We’re not getting Ewers. Most here know that. But we know you’ll welcome the temporary company for anyone who joins you for some aggressive pussy rubbing when Ewers commits to Bama or OU. 

Don’t SLC like belly tats and bleaching their hair? That dude is going to OU unless Lincoln Riley dies or goes to the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

OU and LSU seem to be recruiting him pretty hard 

OU for sure. LSU just grabbed Dellinger and seem to be pushing super hard right now for Leigh and Pounds. I think they are very much keeping an iron in the fire mode on Byrd by comparison. It feels like Byrd is their backup to Pounds and Leigh. 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Or, more likely, Ohio State

Clemson is basically sitting out 2021 by taking Bubba Chandler and they haven't offered a single QB in 2022. If I was going to put a long-term guess on Ewers final spot I wouldn't leave Clemson out of the race. I think they are much more likely than is currently perceived.

15 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He could’ve moved on.

Except not really because 70% of the coaching staff is new so they’re not as tied down by lays year’s results. Ash and all the defensive coaches can sell his past success and easily side step the questions about last year’s defense.

The offensive coaches can’t, and our entire offensive staff is struggling to recruit, except for Yurcich, who came in with Milroe already committed. So that also points to the problem being bigger than just Hand not recruiting well enough. 

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

An under appreciated aspect of the Brocks recruitment is the younger sibling aspect. Anyone who has grown up in family of multiple sons is probably familiar with It. The oldest son typically emulates the dad, especially if he’s highly accomplished. The middle/younger ones then often are the ones who want to go in different directions, even to the point of not doing something because it’s expected of them. Not saying it’s like that every time, but it’s a pattern that makes sense. 

Maybe. But 100% his parents and specifically his Dad are being disingenuous fuckfaces as it concerns Texas.   

Let me be real fucking specific. It’s one thing when you say you’re letting your kids make their own decision. It’s another when you don’t stick up for your alma mater during the decision making process, and bring up quality of education, distance, joining your family. It’s also something else when you don’t poke holes in the bullshit spewed by the coaches recruiting your kids. Things like pointing out that players get drafted from the Big 12 all the time, that they are represented in the college football playoff regularly. That the NFL is migrating towards Big 12 style of play. And all of that especially when you were a college player, a college coach, and have NFL experience, as well as the value of a UT degree. 

There simply aren’t enough different ways for me to express how badly the Brockermeyers can get violently fucked by magically animated chainsaws or slashed with thorns and the open wounds doused in blended up ghost peppers until they have cardiac arrest. And I like to think I’m pretty creative in imagining new ways for people to get fucked. Fuck them.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1