Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except not really because 70% of the coaching staff is new so they’re not as tied down by lays year’s results. Ash and all the defensive coaches can sell his past success and easily side step the questions about last year’s defense.

The offensive coaches can’t, and our entire offensive staff is struggling to recruit, except for Yurcich, who came in with Milroe already committed. So that also points to the problem being bigger than just Hand not recruiting well enough. 

You think Ash’s name carries that kind of weight? Nobody on this board even wanted him at the time he was hired.

Why would Ash be able to sell his past “success”, and Yurcich wouldnt? Yurcich probably has the better resume.

Edited by Lonestar88

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

You think Ash’s name carries that kind of weight? Nobody on this board even wanted him at the time he was hired.

Why would Ash be able to sell his past “success”, and Yurcich wouldnt? Yurcich probably has the better resume.

Well, one won a national title, and the other one never out scored their rival. So...probably not. 

most folks problems with Ash were related to Hermans buddy hiring bullshit as opposed to his resume. His biggest coaching related concern was assembling a staff. 

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Why would Ash be able to sell his past “success”, and Yurcich wouldnt?

Ash is a better, more experienced recruiter. But coordinators aren't judged on recruiting as harshly as postion coaches because we need them to gameplan, and his position is finished, and seems to have a backup plan in Drones.

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Because everyone knows it will still be Herman’s offense, so it can be negative recruited on last year’s issues, unlike a brand new defense. Yurcich and the offensive assistants can’t sell a brand new offensive system and side step all the issues with our offense last year, like our defense can. 

Again, name a single offensive coach that is recruiting well this cycle. All these factors point to the issue being a lot bigger than just Hand not recruiting well enough this cycle. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ash is a better, more experienced recruiter. But coordinators aren't judged on recruiting as harshly as postion coaches because we need them to gameplan, and his position is finished, and seems to have a backup plan in Drones.

I agree with this in general, I was just responding to the idea in the quoted post.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, one won a national title, and the other one never out scored their rival. So...probably not. 

most folks problems with Ash were related to Hermans buddy hiring bullshit as opposed to his resume. His biggest coaching related concern was assembling a staff. 

I guess. I feel like Ash won a championship the same way Juwan Howard did. I mean, he was there. Fickell was the co-DC.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Because everyone knows it will still be Herman’s offense, so it can be negative recruited on last year’s issues, unlike a brand new defense. Yurcich and the offensive assistants can’t sell a brand new offensive system and side step all the issues with our offense last year, like our defense can. 

Again, name a single offensive coach that is recruiting well this cycle. All these factors point to the issue being a lot bigger than just Hand not recruiting well enough this cycle. 

Fair enough, but man, if the case is no one can escape the Herman stink, then we’re just fucked. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's the hardest to project, I'm sure @texasstrong12 can tell you.

I think you always want talents like Brockermeyer. But yeah, I've kind of taken the wait and see approach with OL based on recent history. 

Just look at Herman's track record with 3 stars recently in Josh Jones, Cosmi and Kerstetter. 

I think you always want to stack blue-chips but I'm done shitting on 3 star OL reaches like I did with Kerstetter and Cosmi. Somebody should do some type of historical comparison of blue-chip bust rates on the OL compared to other positions. I bet it's higher than all the other positions because of how tough the position is to project (as has been discussed here by several posters). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Fair enough, but man, if the case is no one can escape the Herman stink, then we’re just fucked. 

That’s pretty much where we’ve been for a while with the caveat that a big season this year could’ve change it, but now we’re not going to even get that chance. The new defensive staff is getting that first year coaching bump, but I don’t see a whole lot of reason for optimism with any of our offensive recruiting without a season to play.  We’re probably going to be reliant on some good evals of lower-rated guys, which this staff has shown it can do well. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Makes you wonder without football as a certainty, might they choose UT because of the whole education and closer to home aspect. Let's say football gets cancelled this year, do they choose to sit in Tuscaloosa for a year and wonder how much better it would be stuck in Austin instead?

Also I think we are like 2/30 on success rate when HayesFawcett does the edit. 

They're not going to Stanford, they chose Bama.  Clearly education wasn't that much of a consideration.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

OU for sure. LSU just grabbed Dellinger and seem to be pushing super hard right now for Leigh and Pounds. I think they are very much keeping an iron in the fire mode on Byrd by comparison. It feels like Byrd is their backup to Pounds and Leigh. 

Clemson is basically sitting out 2021 by taking Bubba Chandler and they haven't offered a single QB in 2022. If I was going to put a long-term guess on Ewers final spot I wouldn't leave Clemson out of the race. I think they are much more likely than is currently perceived.

I mentioned LSU because some of their more in the know posters have talked about him quite a bit. They're kind of in the same situation that Bama has been in the past though where they're in on so many top recruits that no one knows who they might actually land

I agree about Clemson (although word is Ohio State does actually lead right now), if they do decide to go after him. Dabo, Kirby, and Saban have a habit of winning recruitments that they shouldn't win. 2022 is deep though at QB, and it wouldn't surprise me if they fall in love with a different QB. Awhile back 247 tOSU mod said that the coaching staff had four QBs they thought were takes, with one they were still evaluating who could potentially be a take... in the state of Georgia alone. Then there are a couple of other highly rated QBs in the region as well. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Are people going to freak out about Ewers? It’s been pretty well known he’s likely headed elsewhere. Also I don’t have near the concerns about the QB room as I do about the future at LT.  

I'n not worried about the future of the LT position.  I know Tommy is the rare player who can start immediately, but I believe Hookfin will be a fantastic LT. We still have Jones as well, Tom has clearly transformed the OL dept from what we have seen the past decade.  Hopefully Cosmi and Kertsetter getting drafted makes the 22 OL class think about Texas hard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Should've fired Herman last year

I mean, you may think that, and if herman is canned in a couple years you’ll feel justified. But it doesn’t change the fact that the possibility of that happening last year is about on par with All of aggy waking up one day and not being racist ignorant fucks by and large. Just completely unrealistic to the point of impossibility that it’s a highly mockable take. You should have to put back the Greg davis avatar for this nonsense. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Was Foster just in the group chat to make fun of the Big 12 before remembering what conference Oregon is in?

or Oklahoma. 

Foster wants to go to the Olympics. He was interviewed on IG this week and when asked if he could win a NC or Super Bowl or go to the Olympics which would he choose — and he chose Olympics. He knows that his best chance to develop as a thrower is at Texas (noting Piperi’s development under Sion). OU can sell him a lot of things on the OL and his redass mother will let him go there without a hissyfit but his lifelong friends/teammates AND his best shot at the Olympics are both in Austin and anyone who doubts both is full of shit — and that includes his mother. Foster rejoining on the heels of his discussion of the Olympics is ... interesting to me. 

on his infamous spreadsheet— if his dad was actually being honest and unbiased with the data — they’d have the throwing programs and their chances of getting Foster to the Olympics listed accordingly and weighted — but of course  if they did that he’d already be at tu. Whoop.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you may think that, and if herman is canned in a couple years you’ll feel justified. But it doesn’t change the fact that the possibility of that happening last year is about on par with All of aggy waking up one day and not being racist ignorant fucks by and large. Just completely unrealistic to the point of impossibility that it’s a highly mockable take. You should have to put back the Greg davis avatar for this nonsense. 

If we lose to Tech it is a very real possibility and you know that. Kicked the can down the road. 

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

If we lose to Tech it is a very real possibility and you know that. Kicked the can down the road. 

But we didn't, and then we won the bowl game, so it turns out it wasn't much of a possibility at all.

And I don't even really like the guy. That said, it turned out, shockingly, that he was exactly the right man for the moment in the BLM protests. Makes me hope he's learned his coaching lessons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

But we didn't, and then we won the bowl game, so it turns out it wasn't much of a possibility at all.

And I don't even really like the guy. That said, it turned out, shockingly, that he was exactly the right man for the moment in the BLM protests. Makes me hope he's learned his coaching lessons.

The fact we were in year 3 and it was a legitimate possibility should tell you all you need to know.

You even said he was better at handling SJW matters than coaching so not sure why you feel the need to defend him.

• Fuck You 1

Meh like I said earlier about the brocks and any Texas kid that leaves. Fuck em with a reverse pineapple. And if you’re a legacy fuck you twice. This is why I like the staff going out of state. If in state douchebags wanna bounce cool again pineapples and shit.  This is peak 2020 anyway 

4 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I absolutely do not believe we’d have fired him after year 3, with CDC at the helm, if we’d lost to tech. I’d we’d gone 5-7. Absolutely fucking not and you’re mistaken. Guess what, we go 7-5 this year he won’t be fired. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I absolutely do not believe we’d have fired him after year 3, with CDC at the helm, if we’d lost to tech. I’d we’d gone 5-7. Absolutely fucking not and you’re mistaken. Guess what, we go 7-5 this year he won’t be fired. 

Welp we're used to sucking at this point sooooo 

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

The fact we were in year 3 and it was a legitimate possibility should tell you all you need to know.

You even said he was better at handling SJW matters than coaching so not sure why you feel the need to defend him.

It wasn’t a legit possibility. And “telling you what you need to know” is so far from the same thing as “this is a thing that could have happened” it’s absurd. Do you think you’ve learned who Herman is? Maybe. Does that mean a school is firing a coach after multiple top 5 recruiting classes when he took a step back in year 3 after being ahead of expectations in year 2 and eating 15-20 million dollars? No. Never. Don’t be MarkStanco. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It wasn’t a legit possibility. And “telling you what you need to know” is so far from the same thing as “this is a thing that could have happened” it’s absurd. Do you think you’ve learned who Herman is? Maybe. Does that mean a school is firing a coach after multiple top 5 recruiting classes when he took a step back in year 3 after being ahead of expectations in year 2 and eating 15-20 million dollars? No. Never. Don’t be MarkStanco. 

I guess I have different people in my ear than you. Thought there was crossover. 

Dude sucks. He'll be gone but not soon enough.

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

I guess I have different people in my ear than you. Thought there was crossover. 

Dude sucks. He'll be gone but not soon enough.

Oh, make no mistake. Boosters raised enough money to cover a buyout. But it wasn’t happening under CDC in year 3 of a coach’s tenure. Which is why he told the boosters Thanks But No Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, make no mistake. Boosters raised enough money to cover a buyout. But it wasn’t happening under CDC in year 3 of a coach’s tenure. Which is why he told the boosters Thanks But No Thanks. 

He told Boosters it's Shaka or Herman but not both. He did neither because the Rona bailed him out.

this actually isn't a bad idea. Who would write the questions we could rotate the questions once per week (those who have access keep access).
It won't be super automated, but theres definitely a way we can do this and have the recruiting board be a special permission to post in (anyone can view)

So, uh, about this idea. Yeah.