Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 7/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Ketron Jackson goes in-depth on recruitment, top schools

Hide contents

Ketron Jackson goes in-depth on recruitment, top schools

MikeRoach

Ketron Jackson has been busy over the spring, but recruiting is starting to slow down for him. The four-star receiver from Royse City (Texas) still keeps in contact with many of his schools, but his focus has been narrowed after recently releasing a top seven. Jackson said he’s enjoying his time and not putting any pressure on himself.

“Everything is good,” he said. “It’s just been real chill, especially since I cut down my list. It’s been good though.”

Tom Herman is taking this recruitment on personally. On the day of the interview, Jackson spoke with Herman just prior to speaking with Horns247. The Texas head coach was on vacation, but that didn’t stop him from keeping in contact.

“I just finished talking with coach Herman,” Jackson said. “He went on vacation to California. He showed me pictures and stuff, it was great. We were talking about how we both can’t surf.”

Andre Coleman is involved as well. Jackson said he keeps in contact with the Texas receivers coach as well.

“I still talk to him,” he said. “I haven’t talked with him as much as I’ve talked with coach Herman, but I still communicate with him pretty regularly.”

Official visits are up in the air with the fall season in question due to COVID-19. Jackson said he spoke with a few schools and nobody seems to know if official visits will be allowed or not.

“I talked to a few schools and they are all saying the same thing,” he said. “They really don’t know if there’s a guarantee we would have them. They are still saying they don’t know. It just depends on if they have a season or not. It might not allow people to come up if they don’t.”

If Jackson can take his official visits this fall, he knows two out of state schools he for sure will visit. He can only take trips to five of his top seven, but two schools in that group are local to the Dallas area.

“I’ve got two Pac 12 schools in my Top 7,” he said. “I know for sure they are going to get official visits because of the travel. I haven’t really made my mind up on the other ones yet, but I’ve been to a few schools. It might be the other ones at the school that are at a distance because SMU and TCU aren’t far enough away for me to waste an official visit on.”

Texas would be in the group of official visits Jackson would take if he can, but the Longhorns have some competition in front of them.

“I’d probably still take an official to Texas just because,” he said. “I’ve only got seven schools so I can fit them in.”

Each school in his top group has been in heavy contact with him, but two stand out as the ones he hears most from.

“The heaviest would have to be TCU and Arkansas,” he said. “All of them have been on me weekly.”

As far as committed prospects, one school stands out the most when it comes to recruiting from prospects already in the class.

“Arkansas has a group of commits that have a group chat and I talk to them,” he said. “They are recruiting me very hard.”

Jackson originally planned to make his decision in the fall after visits, but his timeline could be changing.

“That’s still the plan,” he said. “Now it’s just based off if we have visits or not. If we don’t’ have visits, I may just make a decision earlier.”

At 6-foot-2, 186 pounds, Jackson is ranked as the No. 26 wide receiver in the nation and No. 25 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Any update on Ketron Jackson? 

My nephew’s son just graduated from Royse City HS.  He knows Ketron and said he was an awesome receiver...said he felt like Arky was probably the current leader, since he also wants to run track.  Said he had always liked Texas though.     Then he said:

”All Texas has to do is match Arkansas’ offer...and they get him...unless something dramatically changes...said he liked the sec since their games would be televised”!

Seriously?

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Count me as one who would have preferred we got both cosmi and little. 

Feel like it was an either/or situation. Didn't think Cosmi got an offer until we missed on Little. At least that's my recollection. In hindsight, of course we take both.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a colossally inaccurate and dumb fucking post.  It I’m not going to waste my buzz typing a long response tonight. But a fucking lot if not a majority of folks knew the Brocks weren’t coming here months ago. Don’t cite one poster and blanket everyone else on this board as some kind of consensus. No one is saying we’re fine and a 3 star gem will replace the Brocks. Fucking no one. At best, folks are saying it isn’t a death knell to the program. And it isn’t. Take my point about Clemson’s OL the past 5 years as an illustration. Just fucking stop. 

So why/how has it been known for months? No insider here. 

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So why/how has it been known for months? No insider here. 

They were leaning Bama for ages, and that silent has been around for months too. After the season we already pretty much cooked. Between Luke telling them the locker room was fractious and the staff wasn't great, and Blake getting his panties in a twist about Clemson and Texas saying James wasn't very flexible (if my recollection of @golfclap's telling is right), they just haven't been trending our way.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just watched the hudl of the guy @golfclap mentioned Sterns.  KU commit.  Yeah he looks really athletic/quick off the ball.  Plays aggressive as well.  Listed at 250 lbs can he get up to 300 and still maintain the athleticism?  Listed at 6'4.  

IMO, Sterns and Leyrar > Cade.

Is Leyrer your stereotypical pretty maxed out Highland Park kid or does he have room to grow?

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

FWIW, Nahlin doesn't seem to think Luke badmouthed Texas.

spacer.png

This supports my theory that the oldest son aspiring to be like the dad and younger sons trying to do their own thing, sometimes almost out of spite. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Is Satya typing up his sandy vag post tonight for the Brock commits? Or waiting till tomorrow so the sand is fresh?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

You guys can't seriously think the criticism and dismay surrounding this decision is only from Football board posters who don't follow recruiting?

Everyone and their mother acknowledged at the start of the cycle that this year's OL class would not be a success without the Brockermeyers. Instead it's the recruiting posters, the guys who should know better, who are now regurgitating the usual "it's fine, we didn't really need him/we'll find a 3-star gem to replace him" takes. I only have to go back a couple of months to find both the $9.95-ers and @Longhorn94-type insiders still assuring us that the Brockermeyers will probably end up here. Nothing about our dismal offensive performance last year changed in those few months, so what happened? Clearly the relationship with Herman and Blake deteriorated beyond repair, and that should be a very worrying sign for our blue-chip targets moving forward.

The Walker Little situation aside, this is definitely the worst recruiting miss of Herman's tenure so far here, and it comes at a time when Hand is already having problems elsewhere. OL classes like 2021 don't come around very often, and losing this recruitment is a pretty definitive sign that this staff cannot survive on selling hope any longer. And I'm not even going to get into the further damage that a cancellation of the 2020 season would cause.

I think we all knew there was no way he could wait until tomorrow. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What’s happening with this Regis kid?  Gilin’ and profilin’?

Probably going to aggy after Texas shuts down DL recruiting with the commitment of Turner from DeSoto. Of course, Looch will immediately say that Regis is the best SEC ready interior DL in Texas and he will immediately jump into the texaggy Top 10.

Though with the Brocks now likely headed to Bama, maybe the take 5 DL. They are losing 3 to graduation, while Carson(portal) and Mpagi(medical) could be attrition candidates.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably going to aggy after Texas shuts down DL recruiting with the commitment of Turner from DeSoto. Of course, Looch will immediately say that Regis is the best SEC ready interior DL in Texas and he will immediately jump into the texaggy Top 10.

Though with the Brocks now likely headed to Bama, maybe the take 5 DL. They are losing 3 to graduation, while Carson(portal) and Mpagi(medical) could be attrition candidates.

Bahaha what a moron. We’re not passing on Regis. 

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Fuck off back to the football board.

oh suck a dick, James has zero position flexibility and his film is average. He'll need at least 2 years of development just to see if he can crack the 2 deep and there are multiple better options in the state like Ezra and Lehrer from DFW

Edited by Houston20

oh suck a dick, James has zero position flexibility and his film is average. He'll need at least 2 years of development just to see if he can crack the 2 deep and there are multiple better options in the state like Ezra and Lehrer from DFW

Im not telling you to fuck off because of your scouting report on james. I’m tell I’m you to fuck off because you and satya are spacedocking to how you think this will reflect on Herman and the program. It’s fucking tired ass football board bullshit. Have fun snowballing each other to your Herman hate.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Can’t believe this isn’t already posted...Or I missed it.

To quote a very recent, very prescient poster of ours, what a fuccboi. 

this geezer was long fuckin gone before I saw VY’s rose bowls and decided i was gonna go to Texas. I’ll save my explicity-laden and derogatory comments for real life, but ol Blake seems like a douche of the highest order. Hang tight in Ft Worth, ya douchebag 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 7

Sup fuccbois?

Really though, a highly rated legacy duo that doesn't help take the mantle early in the cycle as class leaders and recruiters for their state and family school?

I can't be bothered to lament the loss since its been pretty obvious to me for a while; but I am glad there's one less prideful, entitled and arrogant parent for the coaches to stroke and keep satisfied.  It never helps having one of those around regardless of whether they're alums or not.

Aight back to being fuccbois

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Is Leyrer your stereotypical pretty maxed out Highland Park kid or does he have room to grow?

He's about 6'6 275 (type of frame staff likes) and looks pretty mobile/athletic on hudl.  Just my take he looks better than Cade.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13137476/5de288674deb1113b068fbbe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's about 6'6 275 (type of frame staff likes) and looks pretty mobile/athletic on hudl.  Just my take he looks better than Cade.

yeah he does seem to have good feet.  Good thing is he doesn't need to come in and play immediately or anything like that.  He'll have a solid two years to hit the weight room and get coached before competing in his RS-SO season.  The benefits of having a HEALTHY OL depth chart is great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If we're moving to a four man front long term, I'd think that there's room for both in the class 

43 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

35 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yeah he does seem to have good feet.  Good thing is he doesn't need to come in and play immediately or anything like that.  He'll have a solid two years to hit the weight room and get coached before competing in his RS-SO season.  The benefits of having a HEALTHY OL depth chart is great.

The knock right now is that the highlights are better than the game tape, meaning that he needs to be more consistent from play to play 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Feel like it was an either/or situation. Didn't think Cosmi got an offer until we missed on Little. At least that's my recollection. In hindsight, of course we take both.

It did feel like that at the time, although if the staff really did like Cosmi a lot, he should have had a spot in the class regardless of what Little did 

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

For the other offensive coaches:

Yurcich: Not known as a recruiter

Coleman: Not known as a recruiter, and has been defended on his coaching bonafides

Drayton: I guess could be defended more, but pretty openly doesn't recruit outside of his room, which is supposed to be a job requirement at RB coach

Great points.  The offensive staff really is underwhelming as a recruiting group.

Boulware is an upgrade, but Drayton and Coleman need to step it up with better on field production and recruiting...

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great points.  The offensive staff really is underwhelming as a recruiting group.

Boulware is an upgrade, but Drayton and Coleman need to step it up with better on field production and recruiting...

I think we get one more season out of Drayton before he goes back to the NFL. It's obvious they will need to fill that vacancy with Valai's offensive counterpart. Boulware can help coach the RBs in the finer points if we get a guy like Samples, though idk that Samples would actually be a candidate considering Valai is currently running point on Dallas. Might be a redundant set of connections.