Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think we get one more season out of Drayton before he goes back to the NFL. It's obvious they will need to fill that vacancy with Valai's offensive counterpart. Boulware can help coach the RBs in the finer points if we get a guy like Samples, though idk that Samples would actually be a candidate considering Valai is currently running point on Dallas. Might be a redundant set of connections. 

Move Boulware back to RB and let Samples coach TE and inside WR. I'll take two rainmakers in Dallas considering how well we already do in Houston

Just now, RGBIII said:

Move Boulware back to RB and let Samples coach TE and inside WR. I'll take two rainmakers in Dallas considering how well we already do in Houston

That and the fact that DFW is only growing in population and is arguably the richest talent pool in the country.

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

I remember when the board had a meltdown when Walker Little committed to Stanford.  We took 3 star Cosmi, a guy Herman had evaluated very early on at UH.

Would anyone here trade Cosmi for Little at this point?  Anyone?  Cosmi will go higher in the draft.  He punked the LSU DL.  He punked the Georgia DL.  All the scouts watched those games.  There’s a reason he’s a top 15 pick.  He will go higher than any Bama OL this year.  Then you have Kerstetter.  Another 3 star that started as a true freshman at RT.  He’s one of the best pass blocking players in college football and can play multiple positions.  He’s going to get drafted as well.

Herman and his staff have done a fantastic job of evaluating OL.  Christian Jones was a fucking great take.  They flipped Hookfin from Matt Rhule, one of the best evaluators on football.  He’s going to be very good in time. 

It sucks we’re missing out on Tommy.  James wouldn’t have half of his power 5 offers if he wasn’t related to Tommy.  He’ll never sniff the field.  But Texas will always be Texas.  We’ll find the next 5 star or we’ll develop the next 3 star into a top 15 pick.  Enjoy your Bama degree Brocks.  Enjoy being in that shithole and enjoy watching Saban recruit over James.  Luke can go fuck right off and go play at a G5 school as well.  Blake and his wife should be embarrassed.  

giphy.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

That and the fact that DFW is only growing in population and is arguably the richest talent pool in the country.

20 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

There are still more studs coming out of Duncanville too

This. Also I get the impression Valai’s ability to recruit won’t be tied to Dallas. It seems like it’s his personality. We might be able to just send him anywhere and have success (Assuming he can coach). Being a lockdown Dallas guy was a great transition because of his relationships there as a springboard, but after a year or two they should just be a perk, not the main narrative. Same with Samples given time.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Super K says he's not sure OU has room for Burris anymore and no on Abiara.  Is Burris a guy we'd still take?

I am 100% sure he's higher on the board than Regis. That said, unless we generate some flip momentum with Landon Jackson, watch aggy there. And I think that's fine, as long as we get Turner. 

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Im not telling you to fuck off because of your scouting report on james. I’m tell I’m you to fuck off because you and satya are spacedocking to how you think this will reflect on Herman and the program. It’s fucking tired ass football board bullshit. Have fun snowballing each other to your Herman hate.

I repped this for the outstanding use of the term spacedocking.  You love to see it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Per Carl, Shemar Turner has recorded his commitment video for the good guys. 

They need that to drop ASAP. Luckily, the Brocks are not the pied piper types that will tank momentum, but there will be some negative perception to overcome. Landing Turner would curb that completely, at least in the minds of 17yo kids. 

If anyone is interested in 2021 class counter size, I went back several years to see how many available spots we have, and it's 29 (four open spots from 2020). This is only the limiting factor from the 25 class counter, and not the 85 fall camp roster rule. Any transfers we bring in count against those 29, and also some spots will likely need to be for 2022 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

If anyone is interested in 2021 class counter size, I went back several years to see how many available spots we have, and it's 29 (four open spots from 2020). This is only the limiting factor from the 25 class counter, and not the 85 fall camp roster rule. Any transfers we bring in count against those 29, and also some spots will likely need to be for 2022 

Tom and the staff know how to have flexibility.  I'm sure they will be on a couple grad transfers, case in point the AZ LB.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Took a stroll over to OBs, and people are bumping every old topic about Tommy Brockermeyer 

Not even a month ago Ketch doubled down on his Tommy and James to UT prediction.  He really thought there was no way Momma Brock would let her boys go anywhere else but Austin.

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I am 100% sure he's higher on the board than Regis. That said, unless we generate some flip momentum with Landon Jackson, watch aggy there. And I think that's fine, as long as we get Turner. 

That would suck. I love Regis, but I liked Casey Hampton over Shaun Rogers. 

Just now, saul silver said:

Are there any details on why Blake and Tom don't get along? 

No, and we have no idea if that is true. But, the older son is on the UT football team so there is scuttlebutt that the turmoil last year and coaching changes were brought to Blake's attention.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sorry, sounded like Super K said OU has moved on from Abiara.

Worth noting that OU has taken five transfers (all on offense) over the past two classes, which takes up five class counter spots 

47 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Are there any details on why Blake and Tom don't get along? 

Yes

45 minutes ago, Bevo said:

No, and we have no idea if that is true. But, the older son is on the UT football team so there is scuttlebutt that the turmoil last year and coaching changes were brought to Blake's attention.

Wrong. A few of us have a pretty good idea that it's true. Additionally, it seems like Luke loves it at UT and his teammates. Oh, by the way, the Brocks should have fucking been committed before last year even fucking happened. But they weren't.

40 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yes. 

This guy knows his shit, folks should pay attention. 

12 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Is the Brock dad well liked in Austin on Alumni weekends?

Not anymore he's fucking not. 

• Like 1

Humidor

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

STATE OF RECRUITING

We’ve been sounding the alarms on offensive line recruiting of late. You give the benefit of the doubt as long as possible but you can’t write about how loaded the 2021 offensive line class is and then dismiss it as not a problem when UT misses on almost all of them. That would lack context.

Since it became clear Texas was sliding with other members of the offensive line class (and offensive class in general), hopes have pinned further on the Brockermeyer brothers, James and Tommy, ending up playing for the Longhorns like their grandfather, father, and brother. But we’re not optimistic they’ll choose Texas when they announce today.

We’re not going to beat a dead horse. Texas didn’t lack effort. If - little ‘if’ - they pick Bama today, it’s not for any of the ridiculous reasons that you might have come across elsewhere. It’s a business decision, not an emotional one, and if that’s the case, it’s very, very difficult to fault them.

To that end, some emo fans are looking for reasons to cast them as the bad guys. “They’re recruiting Jalen Milroe to Alabama!” Huh, where did that come from? Those two parties barely even know each other.

With a good season can Texas win them over? Maybe. Texas won’t lose hope and won’t stop recruiting them, but they won’t be an easy flip. Texas does have some buttons to press but they only resonate with a very good season.

Where does Texas go from here?

Because they haven’t been very proactive with backup plans it’s hard to answer that question definitively, but here are some guys who make sense:

Ezra Oyetade - Lakeview Centennial: We mentioned earlier this week we expect Texas to extend an offer to 247Sports’s top-rated center in their national rankings. Luckily for Texas, he’s not your usual prospect. Per Oyetade it doesn’t matter when he’s offered. That’s not important to him. It’s a good thing because waiting until after the Brockermeyers decide would irk most kids.

Mike Myslinski - Bishop Kenny, Jacksonville (FL): Another UT legacy (Tennessee) whose father was a 9-year NFL vet is more likely to end up as the center take in the class than James Brockermeyer. Herb Hand has a pre-existing relationship with the family. I think a decision this summer is still expected for the under-rated three-star. He’s a legit player, the type that ends up at Iowa before the NFL. Iowa is the greatest concern at this time. Myslinski recently toured Austin.

Connor Heffernan, Georgetown - BAYLOR: Texas likes the local product enough to put him in the ‘probably to get offered’ category tomorrow or sometime soon. He’s a good player, sort of in the Andrej Karic mold. He seems pretty solid but maybe Texas changes that.

Tate Williams, Wall - BAYLOR: He’s on the radar. He moves really well and would provide versatility, not dissimilar to Kerstetter. These Baylor commits seem pretty solid, though.

Erick Cade - Denton Braswell: UT is recruiting the giant project but he’s a wait-and-see type. He’s a developmental prospect and given they all are but we rarely write it, you can tell he’s a developmental prospect.

Cole Carson - Bogota Rivercrest, Clarksville: ARKANSAS: The 6’6, 275-pound OT/DT from small town East Texas is a Arkansas pledge, but still listening to Texas, Baylor, TCU, and Arizona State. An offer would definitely get his attention.

Jack Leyrer - Highland Park: UT is interested, but to what degree is undetermined. Leyrer has obvious traits but in UT’s defense, plenty of schools want to see his senior year.

Kamron Scott - Converse Judson: He has the attention of some in Austin but they have yet to reach out to him. Right now the biggest school recruiting him is Florida State. He has tons of upside but might be a guard.

Albert Reese - Clearwater Academy, Clearwater (FL): Reese is an interesting one and we’ve added him because he’s the type of out-of-nowhere offer they could make. Big kid at 6-foot-7, 310 pounds. Baseline movement and bend is there, though he could be a right tackle. Shows some quickness. Interesting kid, kind of like Willie Tyler. He’s a move-in from Canada.

In a cycle where Texas needs every opportunity possible to evaluate, there likely won’t be many. They really are diligent, perhaps to a fault, when evaluating. This isn’t setting up well for them feeling comfortable with making offers to guys who require the most thorough evaluations.

TEAM

The team keeps working in the same fashion I’ve been mentioning and they will for the next three weeks. This week, after working with coaches during their limited window, the players broke out into 7 on 7 work absent the coaches. That allowed them to use a football.

The personnel was intentionally mixed and matched in order to make the contests “fair” so it wasn’t a true barometer of the depth chart, but we already know the impermanent depth chart within a small margin of error.

One position that won’t be decided for some time is wide receiver. As we’ve reported, receivers will move around much more than in the past. e.g., Jake Smith is also working outside while Marcus Washington has worked inside. There aren’t just a lot of intriguing parts to work with at the position, those parts are also versatile.

The only two guys who I think are “set” at a position are Brennan Eagles at X and Jordan Whittington at H. But that isn’t to say they’re locked in to start, though Eagles probably is.

Both Mike Yurcich and Andre Coleman want the receivers versed in each position. This will give them more flexibility as need arises, perhaps in-game.

With Anthony Cook’s departure, the staff has moved Marques Caldwell to Spur. But if something were to happen to Chris Adimora, then Chris Brown would likely get the nod. Brown will cross-train at Spur and boundary safety. Josh Thompson, weighing north of 210 pounds per one source, may be another one to watch at Spur.

D’Shawn Jamison was named pre-season All Big 12 on Thursday. He’s not even an official starter but he’s the best bet to start at boundary corner. That would leave Jalen Green, Kenyatta Watson, and Josh Thompson competing for CB2.

The staff would love to move another big safety to linebacker but that’s not popular with the candidates. We don’t think those moves are going to happen, at least not yet. We did report Tyler Owens was moving but that was premature. You can glean how that move went over.

Speaking of safeties-turned-linebacker, DeMarvion Overshown returned to work on Thursday.

Regarding the poll question posted on the board the other day asking who is the best pass rusher after Joseph Ossai, “Probably Jacoby Jones but that’s not for certain. It could be Bimage.”

Prince Dorbah had successful minor surgery on his knee and should be good to go for August camp. Hopefully August camp is good to go for August camp.

This next week is going to be huge for the start of college football.

JAY HARTZELL

We expect the interim tag to be removed from the acting school president and former Dean of McCombs. That will likely come as no surprise after the recent week.

Said a Cigar, “Next board meeting there will be a decision on eliminating his interim or doing a search. Could always happen sooner via an emergency vote (it’s pretty cool, like a DocuSign for fiduciary boards). Sounds like it’s inevitable though unless something bad happens.”

Something bad like the Brockermeyers picking Bama???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I like Regis a lot more than Burris.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They need that to drop ASAP. Luckily, the Brocks are not the pied piper types that will tank momentum, but there will be some negative perception to overcome. Landing Turner would curb that completely, at least in the minds of 17yo kids. 

Negative perception will definitely be there for fans and media, but I’m not sure how much two Fort Worth private school OL kids move the needle with other recruits.

• Like 4

Love that half assed attempt by Nahlin to discredit Carl. How foolish is one to actually believe Jalen Milroe doesn't know the Brockermeyer twins?

The assertion that the team’s top QB commit in class and top OL legacy recruit would “barely know each other” seems a bit ridiculous, at least on the surface.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Humidor

Hide contents

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

STATE OF RECRUITING

We’ve been sounding the alarms on offensive line recruiting of late. You give the benefit of the doubt as long as possible but you can’t write about how loaded the 2021 offensive line class is and then dismiss it as not a problem when UT misses on almost all of them. That would lack context.

Since it became clear Texas was sliding with other members of the offensive line class (and offensive class in general), hopes have pinned further on the Brockermeyer brothers, James and Tommy, ending up playing for the Longhorns like their grandfather, father, and brother. But we’re not optimistic they’ll choose Texas when they announce today.

We’re not going to beat a dead horse. Texas didn’t lack effort. If - little ‘if’ - they pick Bama today, it’s not for any of the ridiculous reasons that you might have come across elsewhere. It’s a business decision, not an emotional one, and if that’s the case, it’s very, very difficult to fault them.

To that end, some emo fans are looking for reasons to cast them as the bad guys. “They’re recruiting Jalen Milroe to Alabama!” Huh, where did that come from? Those two parties barely even know each other.

With a good season can Texas win them over? Maybe. Texas won’t lose hope and won’t stop recruiting them, but they won’t be an easy flip. Texas does have some buttons to press but they only resonate with a very good season.

Where does Texas go from here?

Because they haven’t been very proactive with backup plans it’s hard to answer that question definitively, but here are some guys who make sense:

Ezra Oyetade - Lakeview Centennial: We mentioned earlier this week we expect Texas to extend an offer to 247Sports’s top-rated center in their national rankings. Luckily for Texas, he’s not your usual prospect. Per Oyetade it doesn’t matter when he’s offered. That’s not important to him. It’s a good thing because waiting until after the Brockermeyers decide would irk most kids.

Mike Myslinski - Bishop Kenny, Jacksonville (FL): Another UT legacy (Tennessee) whose father was a 9-year NFL vet is more likely to end up as the center take in the class than James Brockermeyer. Herb Hand has a pre-existing relationship with the family. I think a decision this summer is still expected for the under-rated three-star. He’s a legit player, the type that ends up at Iowa before the NFL. Iowa is the greatest concern at this time. Myslinski recently toured Austin.

Connor Heffernan, Georgetown - BAYLOR: Texas likes the local product enough to put him in the ‘probably to get offered’ category tomorrow or sometime soon. He’s a good player, sort of in the Andrej Karic mold. He seems pretty solid but maybe Texas changes that.

Tate Williams, Wall - BAYLOR: He’s on the radar. He moves really well and would provide versatility, not dissimilar to Kerstetter. These Baylor commits seem pretty solid, though.

Erick Cade - Denton Braswell: UT is recruiting the giant project but he’s a wait-and-see type. He’s a developmental prospect and given they all are but we rarely write it, you can tell he’s a developmental prospect.

Cole Carson - Bogota Rivercrest, Clarksville: ARKANSAS: The 6’6, 275-pound OT/DT from small town East Texas is a Arkansas pledge, but still listening to Texas, Baylor, TCU, and Arizona State. An offer would definitely get his attention.

Jack Leyrer - Highland Park: UT is interested, but to what degree is undetermined. Leyrer has obvious traits but in UT’s defense, plenty of schools want to see his senior year.

Kamron Scott - Converse Judson: He has the attention of some in Austin but they have yet to reach out to him. Right now the biggest school recruiting him is Florida State. He has tons of upside but might be a guard.

Albert Reese - Clearwater Academy, Clearwater (FL): Reese is an interesting one and we’ve added him because he’s the type of out-of-nowhere offer they could make. Big kid at 6-foot-7, 310 pounds. Baseline movement and bend is there, though he could be a right tackle. Shows some quickness. Interesting kid, kind of like Willie Tyler. He’s a move-in from Canada.

In a cycle where Texas needs every opportunity possible to evaluate, there likely won’t be many. They really are diligent, perhaps to a fault, when evaluating. This isn’t setting up well for them feeling comfortable with making offers to guys who require the most thorough evaluations.

TEAM

The team keeps working in the same fashion I’ve been mentioning and they will for the next three weeks. This week, after working with coaches during their limited window, the players broke out into 7 on 7 work absent the coaches. That allowed them to use a football.

The personnel was intentionally mixed and matched in order to make the contests “fair” so it wasn’t a true barometer of the depth chart, but we already know the impermanent depth chart within a small margin of error.

One position that won’t be decided for some time is wide receiver. As we’ve reported, receivers will move around much more than in the past. e.g., Jake Smith is also working outside while Marcus Washington has worked inside. There aren’t just a lot of intriguing parts to work with at the position, those parts are also versatile.

The only two guys who I think are “set” at a position are Brennan Eagles at X and Jordan Whittington at H. But that isn’t to say they’re locked in to start, though Eagles probably is.

Both Mike Yurcich and Andre Coleman want the receivers versed in each position. This will give them more flexibility as need arises, perhaps in-game.

With Anthony Cook’s departure, the staff has moved Marques Caldwell to Spur. But if something were to happen to Chris Adimora, then Chris Brown would likely get the nod. Brown will cross-train at Spur and boundary safety. Josh Thompson, weighing north of 210 pounds per one source, may be another one to watch at Spur.

D’Shawn Jamison was named pre-season All Big 12 on Thursday. He’s not even an official starter but he’s the best bet to start at boundary corner. That would leave Jalen Green, Kenyatta Watson, and Josh Thompson competing for CB2.

The staff would love to move another big safety to linebacker but that’s not popular with the candidates. We don’t think those moves are going to happen, at least not yet. We did report Tyler Owens was moving but that was premature. You can glean how that move went over.

Speaking of safeties-turned-linebacker, DeMarvion Overshown returned to work on Thursday.

Regarding the poll question posted on the board the other day asking who is the best pass rusher after Joseph Ossai, “Probably Jacoby Jones but that’s not for certain. It could be Bimage.”

Prince Dorbah had successful minor surgery on his knee and should be good to go for August camp. Hopefully August camp is good to go for August camp.

This next week is going to be huge for the start of college football.

JAY HARTZELL

We expect the interim tag to be removed from the acting school president and former Dean of McCombs. That will likely come as no surprise after the recent week.

Said a Cigar, “Next board meeting there will be a decision on eliminating his interim or doing a search. Could always happen sooner via an emergency vote (it’s pretty cool, like a DocuSign for fiduciary boards). Sounds like it’s inevitable though unless something bad happens.”

Something bad like the Brockermeyers picking Bama???

Honest football question: Why do safeties seem to hate moving to LB so much? Seems like a much more emotionally fraught move than almost any other common position switch.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Love that half assed attempt by Nahlin to discredit Carl. How foolish is one to actually believe Jalen Milroe doesn't know the Brockermeyer twins?

Not to mention that Tommy liked the fucking tweet discussing it yesterday. He literally validated it online.

As for Nahlin (I assume) trying to shit on surly 

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If - little ‘if’ - they pick Bama today, it’s not for any of the ridiculous reasons that you might have come across elsewhere. It’s a business decision, not an emotional one, and if that’s the case, it’s very, very difficult to fault them.

wrong the west wing GIF

Dead. Ass. Wrong. 

• Like 3

Just now, texifornia said:

Honest football question: Why do safeties seem to hate moving to LB so much? 

As a WR, I think it is because they are pussies. They like to hit defenseless receivers with a full head of steam and get glory picks on errant passes. They don't like to mix it up on the interior against OL and get buried in the masses and blindsided by TEs, OTs and crack backs and have to play with broken bones and such.

• Like 3