Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honest football question: Why do safeties seem to hate moving to LB so much? Seems like a much more emotionally fraught move than almost any other common position switch.

Should just show those guys Isaiah Simmons highlights and then show where he got drafted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

As a WR, I think it is because they are pussies. They like to hit defenseless receivers with a full head of steam and get glory picks on errant passes. They don't like to mix it up on the interior against OL and get buried in the masses and blindsided by TEs, OTs and crack backs and have to play with broken bones and such.

I'm out of rep for today (I didn't even know that was a thing) but this is the gist of it. It's a lot easier to deliver blows coming downhill or taking angles to pull RBs/ballcarriers down from the side than to take on a pulling OT and maintain gap integrity despite giving up 100 pounds to the guy. It's also a lot harder to be forced to read/react when you are 4-6 yards off the ball and right on top of it, than to read/react from the far hash and 15 yards deep. 

• Like 2

Honest football question: Why do safeties seem to hate moving to LB so much? Seems like a much more emotionally fraught move than almost any other common position switch.

Going from living outside of the trenches to inside is a big jump physically and psychologically, no matter how much the LB position is changing. My guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. It's also a lot harder to be forced to read/react when you are 4-6 yards off the ball and right on top of it, than to read/react from the far hash and 15 yards deep. 

Yes, you lose your bird’s eye view of the field, and now you’re in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fud said:

If anyone is interested in 2021 class counter size, I went back several years to see how many available spots we have, and it's 29 (four open spots from 2020). This is only the limiting factor from the 25 class counter, and not the 85 fall camp roster rule. Any transfers we bring in count against those 29, and also some spots will likely need to be for 2022 

Given the Covid landscape, holding spots for transfers seems imperative.  UT has the money to provide the safety precautions most schools can't.  Why take a 3 star project taking up 4-5 years on scholarship, when you can find a proven starter on the transfer market who is looking to move to a school guaranteed to support their athletic aspirations. 

On the flip side, there is the aggy strategy of hamstringing your roster to make the 85 limit and sit out the transfer market to fill immediate needs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You know who else liked that tweet later on?

It was Barzini Blake.

Man, I hadn't see that. hahahha. 

Nahlin/Wells "If - little ‘if’ - they pick Bama today, it’s not for any of the ridiculous reasons that you might have come across elsewhere. It’s a business decision, not an emotional one, and if that’s the case, it’s very, very difficult to fault them."

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-11-16-02-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-11-15-47-AM.pn

9.95 bitch

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Man, I hadn't see that. hahahha. 

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-11-16-02-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-11-15-47-AM.pn

9.95 bitch

That tweet asserts four different things. I'm not sure if liking it is necessarily endorsing every single thing in the message. Also, sometimes people like tweets so they can find them more easily later on. 

Additionally, when Carl clarified to what he was actually referring, it wasn't even obvious that the message meant that they were recruiting Milroe, it was more about them shitting on the Big XII because they'd already made their decision 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

That tweet asserts four different things. I'm not sure if liking it is necessarily endorsing every single thing in the message. Also, sometimes people like tweets so they can find them more easily later on. 

Additionally, when Carl clarified to what he was actually referring, it wasn't even obvious that the message meant that they were recruiting Milroe, it was more about them shitting on the Big XII because they'd already made their decision 

Being on twitter for some time now, I've kinda picked up on a thing where popular figures will like negative tweets directed towards them as a way of taking the high road by not replying, and also letting you know they saw it. Kinda like a "fuck you!" without saying it.

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Being on twitter for some time now, I've kinda picked up on a thing where popular figures will like negative tweets directed towards them as a way of taking the high road by not replying, and also letting you know they saw it. Kinda like a "fuck you!" without saying it.

Yep

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

If you want exactly the collection of older suburban DFW white dudes that are going to be distraught about this.... yeah OB is pretty much where you'd go.

Lol. I told my dad last night about Brocks. He just said, “aw, shit. SHIT”

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I get several hundred comments per day on Twitter and use Tweetdeck to like them all. I don't even read them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yep

To go further, had the tweet only said, "Brocks have been trying to recruit Milroe.", the fact both liked it could absolutely mean something. But the tweet said "good riddance" to the kid, and then called the father an ungrateful helicopter parent. The likes are a "fuck you" and a chip on the old shoulder, IMO.

Just now, Enchubben said:

Hopefully Turner drops his commitment to Texas video in like 5 minutes so we can focus on that and not the twins do tuscaloosa saga.  Bonus points if it steals the thunder from them.

This sounds like something far sexier than what we're actually getting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Hopefully Turner drops his commitment to Texas video in like 5 minutes so we can focus on that and not the twins do tuscaloosa saga.  Bonus points if it steals the thunder from them.

I’m not saying we aren’t getting Turner, but you guys might want to pump the brakes on the confidence train considering we have exactly one source on the matter and it’s Carl. Carl Winslow. Perhaps optimism versus expecting, I suppose is what I am proffering in this situation. 

1 minute ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Don’t be that guy.

Why not? I don't think the sky is falling. I think we'll be fine at OL. But still, fuck them and fuck their stupid ass dad. It''s not like they handled it with class. The dad was a bitch throughout the whole process. So fuck him and they can fuck right off to Alabama. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1