Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't a torn labrum ruin Tony Boselli's likely HOF career?

Incompetent surgeon ruined his career.

The NFL screwed the Texans. They certified that Boselli was healthy for the expansion draft, but made the Saints withdraw Willie Roaf from the expansion draft.

Boselli never played another game, Roaf never missed a game. New Orleans traded him to Kansas City where he was in the Pro Bowl the next 4 years, 2 times All Pro. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Since he's reading, Josh Chatham sounds like he has a tiny dick and can't come up with any decent content for his SB Nation blog. Besides, everyone knows SB Nation blogs suck and it's Russian roulette with their bloggers always at risk to be laid off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Since he's reading, Josh Chatham sounds like he has a tiny dick and can't come up with any decent content for his SB Nation blog. Besides, everyone knows SB Nation blogs suck and it's Russian roulette with their bloggers always at risk to be laid off.

Lol might as well be bleacher report

kid fury gay GIF

So let me get this right....some Bama Fuc Boi wrote a post gloating about Bama taking away some legacy recruits and he warns their fans that the language may be offensive?

Bama fan should probably put down the moonshine and plead the 5th when it comes to being offensive. You can thank your lucky stars Colt got hurt or we would be 8-0 against you.  And don’t worry, you will get your chance to see if we are back in 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Don Hornleone said:

FWIW, the board has been pretty tame compared to some other recruiting losses in the past. When big Shirley spurned us for LSU, not THAT was a fucking meltdown of epic proportions.

That’s what 10 years of “meh” does to you. 
We are all used to the beatings unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, Harvdog said:

So let me get this right....some Bama Fuc Boi wrote a post gloating about Bama taking away some legacy recruits and he warns their fans that the language may be offensive?

Bama fan should probably put down the moonshine and plead the 5th when it comes to being offensive. You can thank your lucky stars Colt got hurt or we would be 8-0 against you.  And don’t worry, you will get your chance to see if we are back in 2 years. 

The mouth-breathing Alabama fans (most all of them) think they still would've won that game If Colt had not been injured.

They still think they & Joe Willie got robbed in the Orange Bowl.

Edited by Armybrat

45 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The mouth-breathing Alabama fans (most all of them) think they still would've won that game If Colt had not been injured.

And that is because they don’t think very well.

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

If there is an afterlife, I'm sure my father loves to walk up behind Bear Bryant and whisper, "Nobis," just to watch the meltdown.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Was there some indication he was wavering? Is he rebutting rumors?

Or is this simply a good post by one of our commits and I'm now reaching the point of surlification where I only see the negative in anything?  

Edited by Junior Bonner

2 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

Was there some indication he was wavering? Is he rebutting rumors?

Or is this simply a good post by one of our commits and I'm now reaching the point of surlification where I only see the negative in anything?  

The motion blur in the picture clearly indicates he's wavering. Doomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, victory88 said:

It’s going to be funny in a few years when James is 3rd string and Blake calls and texts to Saban are on ignore about why he isn’t getting reps.       They processed out Tua’s little brother the minute his big bro declared for the draft.  

giphy.gif

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Recruiting notes from UC Camp

DURANT, Okla. — A talented group of underclassmen descended on the Oklahoma-Texas border for the Elite Underclassmen Camp presented by ESPN and Under Armour. The combine-style setup followed COVID-19 protocols and mimicked the NFL Combine. Athletes were put through measurement and testing before taking part in position-specific combine drills.

Horns247 was on the scene to take in the event and talk with a wealth of sources to pick up some intel on where Texas stands with the talented group of underclassmen on the board. We were also able to gather some information pertinent to the current recruiting class. Is Texas still behind with underclassmen prospects, or are they surging in certain positions? In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we give you the goods on what we learned over the weekend.

2021 notes

—There have been some rumors regarding Texas commit Jalen Milroe and a wandering eye when it comes to his commitment. I checked with sources over the weekend and was told that there wasn’t anything to worry about at this time. Several people near Milroe acknowledged that Bama still stays in constant contact, but Milroe seems to be dedicated to loyalty. I personally think there may be some frustration over the way the receiver and offensive line class is coming together, but Milroe is also trying to remedy that by helping recruit. Nick Harris will have a full report out later today, but Milroe is working on Texas targets like Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis. We will continue to monitor this situation as it’s always disturbing when another program is courting one of your prospects, but as of now, nobody close to Milroe thinks he’s close to flipping.

—Speaking of Texas commits, I was able to connect with sources near Texas commits Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders. I asked these sources flat out if I should ever worry about those two commitments and was told very bluntly, “no.” I was told both Bowman and Sanders are locked into their recruitments and working on recruiting others to Austin. I was told that Sanders specifically is tired of talking about it and doesn’t even answer other coaches. Once the recruiting process ended for him it was over. Certainly good news for Texas fans out there with two of the more important prospects in the country.

—I reported last week multiple sources near DeSoto defensive end Shemar Turner notified me that Texas held the edge for him. Sources I spoke with today indicated that Texas A&M was surging as well with a great effort from Terry Price. While it’s clear that the Aggies are a legitimate threat, I was told that someone very close to Turner indicated more favor toward Texas because of the way the University handled player demands for racial diversity. There appears to be a gap in the information depending on who you talk to, but this is what I’ve been able to figure out. Terry Price is a difference maker in this recruitment on the Texas A&M side, and I sense that Turner has a great relationship there. Texas is a longtime favorite and the family probably prefers Austin more there. Alabama is also in the picture, but it feels like this could be shaping up to be a head-to-head in-state race as more people near him think Turner is leaning toward staying close to home.

—Texas is definitely in on Arizona graduate transfer Tony Fields. There are still some boxes to check for Fields, but Texas has the need at linebacker on the weakside. I’m still attempting to gather more info on Fields’ side, but I’ve been told that Texas feels this is a prospect they could land.

—Englewood (CO.) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm is supposed to be in Austin today to see the city for himself. I’m set to catch up with him after the visit to get his thoughts. It sounds like this race is coming down to Texas and Wisconsin as the Badgers have been pouring the attention on. We will see how things shake out once Helm is done with his visit.

—I spoke briefly with McKinney (Texas) North wide receiver JJ Henry today.  He keeps in steady contact with Andre Coleman and Tom Herman.  Henry still appears to be in no sort of hurry.  While he doesn’t open up a ton, it sounds like this race could come down to Texas and Texas A&M as well.  Conor doesn't have the sense of urgency the brother does. I’m not sure anyone has an edge right now.

Underclassmen notes

—Cy-Park 2022 linebacker Harold Perkins is likely to be one of the best in the country by the time his class signs. He stays in consistent communication with the Longhorns and has been able to watch film with Coleman Hutzler. Perkins said he’s working on a strong relationship with Hutzler and it appears Texas is treating him like a major priority. It’s still very early but this is a recruitment where Texas is going to have to outlast some big schools. I think they are in a good position early, but they need to work to make sure they maintain that position.

—El Paso (Texas) Burges running back Tavorus Jones was one of the headliners of the camp. Jones is pretty new to the fame that comes with being a Top 100 prospect, but he’s taking it in stride. Texas was the first school to offer, and that was something that stood out to Tavorus and something he will remember. He speaks frequently with Stan Drayton and other members of the coaching staff. Alabama and Florida are two schools Jones is also very interested in at this point.

—Kansas City (MO.) Blue Valley North ATH DaSan McCullough is one of the best overall prospects in the country. Texas is recruiting him has a hybrid player with a role like DeMarvion Overshown’s in mind. McCullough said the entire defensive staff is involved in his recruitment, but he mainly talks with Jay Valai and Coleman Hutzler. McCullough referenced the changes the Texas leadership enacted for racial diversity and strong potential with the NIL (Name, image, Likeness) potential as reasons Texas is making an impact in his recruitment. He was originally scheduled for a spring visit but COVID-19 removed that possibility. McCullough is itching to get to Austin and see what it’s about and is in no hurry to make a decision. He named Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan and LSU as other schools doing a great job in his recruitment.

—I spoke with LSU commits Bryce Anderson and Bryan Allen Jr. during today’s camp. Texas hasn’t spoken with Allen in a while. It isn’t for lack of trying, but Allen is locked into his commitment and not terribly responsive according to him. Anderson is listening to what Texas has to say, but he’s pretty solid in his commitment to the Tigers. He would like to make a visit to Texas when they become available, and he’s interested to see what the new defense looks like under Chris Ash.

—I spoke with LSU commits Bryce Anderson and Bryan Allen Jr. during today’s camp. Texas hasn’t spoken with Allen in a while. It isn’t for lack of trying, but Allen is locked into his commitment and not terribly responsive according to him. Anderson is listening to what Texas has to say, but he’s pretty solid in his commitment to the Tigers. He would like to make a visit to Texas when they become available, and he’s interested to see what the new defense looks like under Chris Ash.

—I caught up with 2022 defensive tackle Bear Alexander. He actually looked like he slimmed down since the last time I saw him and is now headed over to Denton Ryan. The former Dallas Skyline product said that he talks with Texas frequently and corresponds mostly with Tom Herman and Oscar Giles. Texas was one of the first schools to offer Alexander and he mentioned he will remember things like that when it comes decision time.

—If there’s a guy on the offensive line I think the Texas staff is putting themselves in a good position with, it’s Frisco High School OL Cole Hutson. It’s still early and Hutson wants to take his time with the recruiting process, but Herb Hand and Texas are making an impact early. Hutson is a sharp kid with a fantastic frame and a desire to find an elite business school to attend. Texas fits that need well, and Hutson said his relationship with Herb Hand is going swimmingly so far. Texas A&M and Arizona State are schools to watch out for as well. Hutson’s father played baseball for the Sun Devils and he has a lot of family back in Arizona.

—Everything is status quo with Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry. He’s not prone to massive swings in his recruitment and he’s truly an astute observer of college football and the recruiting scene. At this point, it sounds like Ohio State, LSU and Texas A&M are the schools recruiting Dewberry the way he wants to be recruited, but I think this one takes a while to play out. Oklahoma should also be mentioned as Dewberry is high on Bill Bedenbaugh as an offensive line coach and their development over the last few years can’t be ignored. Dewberry loves Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand and Tom Herman has been really involved with the recruitment recently. He will be watching Texas and Texas A&M both this season to see how they pan out on the field to take stock of what the future holds for both programs. He’s also watching to see how former Atascocita OL Samuel Cosmi does this season and in the NFL Draft. When talking to Dewberry and those around him, it doesn’t sound like there is much going on right now.

—Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek offensive tackle Jacob Sexton has been keeping in contact with Herb Hand weekly. The two usually talk about food and football Sexton said, and Sexton actually camped with Texas last year. He likes the facilities and admitted that he actually grew up a fan of Texas. His father is originally from Pampa, Texas and grew up a Longhorn fan so Sexton mentioned that he grew up watching Texas as well. Oklahoma leads on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, but it sounds like a recent Stanford offer could be a big game changer.

—Humble (Texas) Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks stood out again during the camp. While Texas A&M picked up an early Crystal Ball, I don’t get the sense that he’s anywhere close to a decision at this point. Texas and Texas A&M seem to be the front runners right now, but Banks wants to make sure he sees all of his options. LSU and Oklahoma State are two schools that could also make some noise early on.

—2023 El Campo (Texas) RB Ruben Owens holds interest in Texas, but it sounds like OU is the early leader. Owens spoke with our Nick Harris and indicated that his relationship with Stan Drayton is strong and he wants to visit Austin again. While the Sooners are probably in the top position, don’t be surprised to see LSU play a factor as well. It’s till very early here.

—2023 Austin (Texas) Westlake WR Jaden Greathouse already holds a host of offers from power-five schools. He’s been talking to some schools, but he said contact with Texas has been off and on. Greathouse deals with Mike Yurcich mostly and said the culture at Texas stands out to him most. Greathouse also mentioned Oklahoma as a school he wants to visit and a program he has interest in.

—2022 Denton (Texas) Ryan cornerback Austin Jordan doesn’t talk much, but Texas is high on his list. After offering during the spring, Jordan has been talking with Chris Ash and Jay Valai while getting the full court press from teammates Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders. There will be a ton of defensive back options in next year’s class, but it seems like Jordan is yet another prospect high on Texas.

—The same can be said for 2022 Plano (Texas) John Paul II cornerback Terrance Brooks. While his offer didn’t make any shockwaves, Brooks is quietly putting together an elite skillset in a dream frame. Texas is prioritizing Brooks in a major way and Chris Ash speaks with him daily. Brooks was the prospect who turned my head the most during the camp and a guy Texas fans will definitely want to acquaint themselves with.

—Brooks’ teammate and 2023 DB Braxton Myers is also picking up the same amount of attention. He enjoys talking with Jay Valai and connected well with the Texas assistant right off the bat. Myers mentioned Baylor, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma as schools he’d like to visit and his sister is a volleyball target being recruited by Texas. Myers’ father played at Alabama and Myers grew up watching the Longhorns.

—It’s clear that Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers is the top quarterback target for Texas, but the Longhorns are lining up some contingency plans. I spoke to a trio of quarterbacks this weekend who said they’ve been talking with Mike Yurcich. Jones (Okla.) quarterback Carson May said he’s had a few talks with Yurcich, but it sounds like Oklahoma State could be the dream offer right now. Flower Mound (Texas) quarterback Nick Evers is another prospect to keep an eye on. While Evers doesn’t have a wealth of starting experience, he’s been tearing up the spring in 7v7 and camps. The physical tools are fantastic and production is all that’s needed at this point. Austin (Texas) Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik said he recently had a few calls with Yurcich as well, and despite a strong Texas A&M influence in the family, Klubnik loves the culture at Texas and is close with former Westlake passer Sam Ehlinger.

• Like 2

(Rivals) Fact or Fiction: Losing Brockermeyer twins won’t hurt Texas

Losing the Brockermeyer twins won’t hurt Texas.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Losing Tommy and James Brockermeyer hurts. I don’t care how big a diehard Texas fan you are, there’s no way to spin this. These are Texas legacies during a pandemic where more and more prospects are staying home, and yet they still leave for Alabama. I know it’s not a loss to a conference rival and every recruiting loss to Alabama can be explained away by Nick Saban’s amazing recruiting but this stings. The OL is a big need for Texas and these two would be multi-year starters in Austin. There was no better time to keep them home and Tom Herman couldn’t do it.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. This is a major loss for Texas but really not all that surprising if you look at recent trends. It’s hard to believe, but the Longhorns have not done all that well with elite in-state recruits in recent recruiting cycles. In the Mack Brown days, he would hold a junior day and basically load up the entire recruiting class mainly with in-state prospects. That hasn't been the case under Herman. No one expects Texas to get all the top guys, but they need to start getting some if they want to build themselves back into national title contenders.

Kobe Boyce is an inspiration. 

Farrell’s take: FACT. The Texas cornerback went public with his battle with depression and explained his reason for stepping away from football on Twitter. Depression is not talked about enough and having a player like Kobe Boyce speak about it publicly is good for everyone. It allows others to see that the stigma around mental health needs to be banished and that so many who suffer from it should speak to it. He wasn’t a star at Texas on the field, but he was solid. But he’s a star off the field by sharing his experience.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Mental health issues are definitely not discussed enough at any level and in society in general and maybe Boyce’s story will help others work through their personal difficulties. Football is incredibly important to many people for many different reasons - one of them helping them cope with issues off-the-field - but if Boyce feels it is best for his well-being to step away from the game to work out some problems then I applaud him for it. Hopefully his courage can inspire others to face their situations head on and overcome them.

42 minutes ago, satyanash said:

No one expects Texas to get all the top guys, but they need to start getting some if they want to build themselves back into national title contenders.

Texas has recruited well under Herman, but Farrell is not wrong, at some point Texas needs to land the "can't miss" guys in Texas. 

Like Ewers next year, there is another recruit Texas needs to land, but won't because we're not there yet. 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

Whatever. They could’ve been part of turning their legacy program around and being remembered forever but chose to be another good forgotten player for the Bama machine. Their choice tho so good luck

I remember similar things being said when A'Shawn Robinson chose Bama.  Can't fault these guys wanting to be winners and get drafted early.  Herman hasn't done his part so we are going to miss on guys like this. 

• Fuck You 1