Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Free viewing for today (If you care)

Tuesday is FREE VIP DAY at Horns247

ByTAYLOR ESTES 69 minutes ago

9710513.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

We at Horns247 are taking down the paywall on ALL of our VIP content, as well as giving the ability to read all VIP posts and replies on our message board, which will be in effect until Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.  With many changes headed to the Forty Acres, we at Horns247 want to ensure Texas fans don't miss a single update, so we're opening up all VIP content to give the public an exclusive, 24-hour look into all that comes with being a Horns247 member.

Edited by LTtxfan

The sport's web jockeys are continuing to ride the hell out of Blake's sons choosing Bama.  I expect them to drop a fresh batch of rehashed woe is Herman and Texas articles in the morning and every day until some new recruit chooses Texas, thus beginning the yeah, but they're not the Brocks.  If anything, they're building some hype on these kids that if they don't start or do well, they will have a jolly big, burnt orange F'k you to their family and all these recruit writers.   And they'll get it for the remainder of the days they live in Texas.  

"My role as a father is to provide them with knowledge and education on how to make that decision, the best decision that they can make."

Sure would be great if Herman cut Luke and said, "My role as a head coach is to provide the team with knowledge, education and preparation on how to win, along with the best decisions that I can make. And we just had better opportunities at the position."  And it would be true.  

Spiteful?  Who gives a f'k--Bama can take Luke since the Brocks are all in on Saban and what they offer.  I'm sure Texas can find another 2 star linebacker.  Hell, get a transfer.  The complete Bama package doesn't include an education you big half wit.  If they did nothing but go to school, at Texas they'd have the alumni base and education to be successful. And I sure hope the mental midgets asked Saban about the part of their package that includes what happens to their scholarships should one if not both of their sons sustain an injury that prevents them from competing in football.  Oh yeah, like an injury that Tommy just rehabbed from.  

If Herman does manage to beat Bama, I hope during his press conference he repeatedly mentions being just fortunate enough to get players who along with their families bleed burnt orange.  The bonus would be the press conference in front of a huge picture of Texas players in victory formation with scoreboard in the background, and then Herman giving a "Hook'em" to the all the recruitniks along with the recruits that chose to leave the state because they doubted Texas.    

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

The sport's web jockeys are continuing to ride the hell out of Blake's sons choosing Bama.  I expect them to drop a fresh batch of rehashed woe is Herman and Texas articles in the morning and every day until some new recruit chooses Texas, thus beginning the yeah, but they're not the Brocks.  If anything, they're building some hype on these kids that if they don't start or do well, they will have a jolly big, burnt orange F'k you to their family and all these recruit writers.   And they'll get it for the remainder of the days they live in Texas.  

"My role as a father is to provide them with knowledge and education on how to make that decision, the best decision that they can make."

Sure would be great if Herman cut Luke and said, "My role as a head coach is to provide the team with knowledge, education and preparation on how to win, along with the best decisions that I can make. And we just had better opportunities at the position."  And it would be true.  

Spiteful?  Who gives a f'k--Bama can take Luke since the Brocks are all in on Saban and what they offer.  I'm sure Texas can find another 2 star linebacker.  Hell, get a transfer.  The complete Bama package doesn't include an education you big half wit.  If they did nothing but go to school, at Texas they'd have the alumni base and education to be successful. And I sure hope the mental midgets asked Saban about the part of their package that includes what happens to their scholarships should one if not both of their sons sustain an injury that prevents them from competing in football.  Oh yeah, like an injury that Tommy just rehabbed from.  

If Herman does manage to beat Bama, I hope during his press conference he repeatedly mentions being just fortunate enough to get players who along with their families bleed burnt orange.  The bonus would be the press conference in front of a huge picture of Texas players in victory formation with scoreboard in the background, and then Herman giving a "Hook'em" to the all the recruitniks along with the recruits that chose to leave the state because they doubted Texas.    

So when James gets processed and finishes at a directional school and doesn't get drafted. Who is daddy gonna go cying to then? 

Edited by NorLa Horns
fat fingered

To win a NC you have to be at least two of these three:
- Willing to cheat at least to level of rivals
- An elite in game coach
- A great salesman.

Herman is none.  
aggy has two of these, why no rings and trophy?.

Of course the salesmanship may be for lightly used CPO cars, but still..

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lol he dropped because he got a knee injury, fuck that shit.

That's part of it. He wasn't as long as he was thought to have been, which supports him now playing guard in the NFL. He also had some bad tape from the few games he played; see him getting his ass kicked by the Maryland DE. He did come back and kick ass against West Virginia though. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sterns, Foster, Whittington. All composite 5 stars. All also from the state of Texas.

And Sanders this year. Farrell is just trolling for clicks. People shouldn't get mad, that just makes him(RIvals) more money. It's like getting mad at Skip Bayless. 

53 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sterns, Foster, Whittington. All composite 5 stars. All also from the state of Texas.

Plus Sanders and decent chance of Bowman sneaking in there as well. Rivals should be completely ignored. They are by far the worst 995ers out there and that’s saying something 

• Like 3

The Rivals acquisition of Alliance is the only reason they still exist at all. They purchased a bundled base of loyal fucks they could drop their national perspective on top of. Heckman built the damn thing to collect ad revenue, (which he did again with Scout before selling it off) and the national perspective has always been about driving click traffic. They've attempted to co-opt many different revenue models, including the adidas partnership, pay to camp, elite camp, etc. all while using the actual revenue drivers, the team sites, as cheap labor. 

There are really decent Rivals team sites out there that have their own sources and push their own content. Ketch is a garbage human and can't help himself but to feed the beast, so OBs is unfortunately not an example of a stellar Rivals site. The major issue Rivals will have to confront will be adding subs, which the national group hasn't paid attention to in too long. Recruiting content is all about rankings, insider info, and video highlights. Rivals has decided that they want to offer counter culture rankings (see ad revenue), limit their insiders to regional (as opposed to by school), and try to do the rest with camps. Miscalculation, you stupid fucks. How do camps add revenue to team sites? You know, the lifeblood of your business? They don't. 

The team site subscriber base is going to take a hit when they age out of caring. Go look around OBs at the active poster "Member since" date. '02, '03.... And they don't have the backing of a CBS type. Yahoo isn't throwing money around anymore. If they were really smart, they would go buy up one of these recruiting analytics startups and begin incorporating data. Hell, even SI is putting out a superior recruiting product right now which is run by one guy in a closet somewhere, cranking through video and doing real rankings and real work. 

All of this to opine that Rivals will never be a legitimate site for national information. You're at the mercy of your team site, and if you attempt to look beyond that, you're just feeding the click machine. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, cochamps said:

Wescunt mentions that second rounder Connor Williams was thought to be a first round pick out of HS.  His UT bio had him rated no higher than #53 in the STATE in three separate ratings.

First round my ass, Wescunt!

He stated Williams was a projected first rounder at the start of the 2017 season, not high school. He's not wrong here but still a tool. 

Edited by Blackcat00

13 hours ago, Harvdog said:

So the last 10 years made your kids, who evidently grew up bleeding burnt orange, choose Alabama over Texas?  So recruits that were here under the last 4 years of Mack and the sh!t show that was Charlie were the deciding factor?  Forget that the first 2 lineman that Herman signed in Austin will be high draft picks...So they had zero interest in changing the narrative?  Instead they are taking the easy route and just being sheep who follow and not someone who leads?  Hell of a job you did there, Blake. You raised 2 boys who don’t have the balls or heart to make a difference. I give Luke high marks for putting in the hours to help his team and a big middle finger to the “twins” who decided to follow the path of lesser resistance. 

You can't change the narrative when there is so much rot at the top.  I don't blame them for not joining a sinking ship.  2 offensive lineman are not going to overcome the arrogance of Tom Herman and right this ship.  They see the writing on the wall.

I don't understand the Luke vs. the "twins" argument.  Luke had no options.  He could play on scholarship for Rice or walk on at Texas.  Might as well go play for your "dream" school.  The twins had options.  They went with the option that gave them the best chance of winning and getting to the NFL.  You can't blame them for that. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

7 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

You can't change the narrative when there is so much rot at the top.  I don't blame them for not joining a sinking ship.  2 offensive lineman are not going to overcome the arrogance of Tom Herman and right this ship.  They see the writing on the wall.

I don't understand the Luke vs. the "twins" argument.  Luke had no options.  He could play on scholarship for Rice or walk on at Texas.  Might as well go play for your "dream" school.  The twins had options.  They went with the option that gave them the best chance of winning and getting to the NFL.  You can't blame them for that. 

You're like the new 6th Street. Come over when there's bad news to dump on Herman, then leave.

• Like 9

Honestly I'd respect them more if they had gone to OU. Gong to Alabama just proves you don't give 2 shits about football beyond it being a job, Tommy will make his millions and then retire early. He made a business decision so good for him but he'll have 0 impact on the history and legacy of Alabama he'll just another cog in their factory who was there for his required 3 years. Or maybe he'll get hurt his 2nd year never play and will be forced to transfer. He preferred that to joining the pride and winning tradition of becoming a Longhorn for life.

• Like 6

Texas blurb from the recruiting mailbag on the athletic 

Spoiler

How is Texas looking in the 2021 cycle? — Zachariah F.

I have a really hard time figuring out Texas sometimes because on the surface it looks as though the Longhorns’ class is in good shape and headed for more success. But on the other hand, I feel like there are a lot of missed opportunities. For instance: The Brockermeyer brothers, who just committed to Alabama, are Texas legacy recruits who spurned the in-state school in favor of the out-of-state powerhouse. And as things stand right now, the top three players in the state of Texas are going elsewhere: Brockermeyer is going to Alabama, five-star running back Camar Wheaton of Garland Lakeview Centennial is a heavy lean to Oklahoma, and five-star offensive guard Donovan Jackson of Bellaire Episcopal in the Houston area is headed to Ohio State.

Yes, Texas has commitments from five-star athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders and four-star athlete Billy Bowman — teammates at Denton Ryan High who are both top 35 players nationally. And yes, Texas is basically its own country in terms of size, and it’s harder to keep kids home from a geographical standpoint than it is in other, smaller states such as Ohio or Georgia. But for as good as Tom Herman has been at accumulating talent — and he has been, given the Longhorns were No. 4 in college football last year in the Blue-Chip Ratio — it just doesn’t seem like Texas has truly maximized its potential.

Texas’ 2021 class right now ranks No. 11 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12. Who is going to criticize that? Not me.

However, sometimes I like to think about what could have been, and Texas, which I always think is on the verge of breaking out on the field, has the resources and the ability to be in the conversation with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and now LSU for best program in America.

Instead, Oklahoma has won five straight Big 12 titles and is the king of that conference, doing so by taking elite-level talent like Wheaton (soon) and four-star wide receiver Cody Jackson of Richmond (Texas) Foster, four-star weakside defensive end Clayton Smith of Texarkana Texas High and four-star cornerback Latrell McCutchin of Austin (Texas) LBJ, whose high school is miles away from the Longhorns’ campus.

Texas’ class is fine. It will likely finish in the top 10. But could it have finished in the top five with a little something extra? Yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

I have a really hard time figuring out Texas sometimes because on the surface it looks as though the Longhorns’ class is in good shape and headed for more success. But on the other hand, I feel like there are a lot of missed opportunities. For instance: The Brockermeyer brothers, who just committed to Alabama, are Texas legacy recruits who spurned the in-state school in favor of the out-of-state powerhouse. And as things stand right now, the top three players in the state of Texas are going elsewhere: Brockermeyer is going to Alabama, five-star running back Camar Wheaton of Garland Lakeview Centennial is a heavy lean to Oklahoma, and five-star offensive guard Donovan Jackson of Bellaire Episcopal in the Houston area is headed to Ohio State.

Yes, Texas has commitments from five-star athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders and four-star athlete Billy Bowman — teammates at Denton Ryan High who are both top 35 players nationally. And yes, Texas is basically its own country in terms of size, and it’s harder to keep kids home from a geographical standpoint than it is in other, smaller states such as Ohio or Georgia. But for as good as Tom Herman has been at accumulating talent — and he has been, given the Longhorns were No. 4 in college football last year in the Blue-Chip Ratio — it just doesn’t seem like Texas has truly maximized its potential.

Texas’ 2021 class right now ranks No. 11 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12. Who is going to criticize that? Not me.

However, sometimes I like to think about what could have been, and Texas, which I always think is on the verge of breaking out on the field, has the resources and the ability to be in the conversation with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and now LSU for best program in America.

Instead, Oklahoma has won five straight Big 12 titles and is the king of that conference, doing so by taking elite-level talent like Wheaton (soon) and four-star wide receiver Cody Jackson of Richmond (Texas) Foster, four-star weakside defensive end Clayton Smith of Texarkana Texas High and four-star cornerback Latrell McCutchin of Austin (Texas) LBJ, whose high school is miles away from the Longhorns’ campus.

Texas’ class is fine. It will likely finish in the top 10. But could it have finished in the top five with a little something extra? Yes.

Is this Max?

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

Kinda the way a lot of us feel. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

and four-star wide receiver Cody Jackson of Richmond (Texas) Foster

Pass. I have doubts about Troy Omeire's speed and separation at the next level. He's 6'3" 212 pounds. In Jackson's fastest ever 200 he finished 2 spots ahead of Omeire at 5'10" 158 pounds. Sorry but Caleb Johnson is the guy OU has that I'd be more excited about. FFS, Jackson runs the 2nd leg on his own teams 4x - again and well under 170 pounds. Not the anchor and not the lead. 

32 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

four-star cornerback Latrell McCutchin of Austin (Texas) LBJ, whose high school is miles away from the Longhorns’ campus.

Fucking hard pass. Texas saw him 5 weeks in a row,  certainly wants his teammate, and still wouldn't offer. He's a shithead that isn't well liked by his peers, has p.i.t.a. parents, and he probably goes 150 pounds right now coming off a knee injury. Yeah, he's the missing piece of the puzzle to get over the hump. 

36 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

But could it have finished in the top five with a little something extra? Yes.

Sublime.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Pass. I have doubts about Troy Omeire's speed and separation at the next level. He's 6'3" 212 pounds. In Jackson's fastest ever 200 he finished 2 spots ahead of Omeire at 5'10" 158 pounds. Sorry but Caleb Johnson is the guy OU has that I'd be more excited about. FFS, Jackson runs the 2nd leg on his own teams 4x - again and well under 170 pounds. Not the anchor and not the lead. 

Fucking hard pass. Texas saw him 5 weeks in a row,  certainly wants his teammate, and still wouldn't offer. He's a shithead that isn't well liked by his peers, has p.i.t.a. parents, and he probably goes 150 pounds right now coming off a knee injury. Yeah, he's the missing piece of the puzzle to get over the hump. 

Sublime.

he loves pumping up ou commits

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Sublime.

Yah, I'm not agreeing with every single bullet point, but the overall flavor of the write-up, I got it. Good class going, feel like we've lost a couple we should have gotten, though. I think a lot of us feel that way. Not depressed about it or anything. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That was actually a more-than-decent blurb. I guess he's fine if you're outside of tOSU's bailiwick.

I was just responding to the question about it being Olson. Wasserman was a mouthpiece for OSU which makes me dislike him....that and a Michigan grad degree. That's why I called him literate. His writing is usually fine, and when it's not Ohio State, it's fairly even keeled.

• Like 1

One of the long term axioms of recruiting is the preceding season impacts juniors more than seniors. At best, we were underwhelming in 19. Not sure why people are surprised when that axiom holds true and our recruiting is underwhelming. 

We’re Longhorns. Stop acting like a bunch of pussies.