Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Texas probably goes to college World Series and has a very good shot to win it if they finished the season. When the season ended they were ranked #1. Bowman just now being offered is the story not that he has any intention on flipping. 
We were ranked #3. OU was 6th.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-today/nfca-coaches

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
4 hours ago, bEastTexas said:
His girlfriend was the Gatorade national player of the year and believe she’s the #1 overall softball recruit for her class. Wouldn’t consider her dead weight. 

Plus, OU's softball program is a hell of a lot better than ours.

Maybe so, but Texas finally has a competent coach.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

sounds about right as ive said before the visits are wack compared to the strong era visits 

Who gives a shit, because Strong was a horrible coach and his development of the good players he did sign was worse than his coaching.

Strong's last class was ranked 7th and had 17 4 stars.

Of those 17 players only Johnson, Duvernay, and Jones lived up to expectations, and only because of longevity. Duvernay spent 4 years being coached by Dumb and Dumber, while Jones and Johnson were in and out of the training room.

Meanwhile, Hudson(retired), McCulloch(bust), Fowler(transfer), Delance(transfer), Elliott(transfer), Buechele(transfer), Daniels(transfer), Fitzgerald(retired), Urquidez(transfer), Porter(transfer), Okafor(bust), Cuffee(transfer), Christmas(transfer), Southall(transfer/grades).

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
5 hours ago, bEastTexas said:
His girlfriend was the Gatorade national player of the year and believe she’s the #1 overall softball recruit for her class. Wouldn’t consider her dead weight. 

Plus, OU's softball program is a hell of a lot better than ours.

Pre-White.  No one expects OU to be better moving forward.  No one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Blackshire's mom comment isn't really about UT, seems like it was clear over a year ago that the staff didn't see him the way Bama has.  We all said he wasn't a LB and will spin down to a DE, yet the staff was higher on other DE prospects.  Aggy hasn't been high on him either from reading their write ups.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Blackshire's mom comment isn't really about UT, seems like it was clear over a year ago that the staff didn't see him the way Bama has.  We all said he wasn't a LB and will spin down to a DE, yet the staff was higher on other DE prospects.  Aggy hasn't been high on him either from reading their write ups.  

Yeah, this. We weren't in on that from the jump because Blackshire is not a linebacker. We prioritized elsewhere. They had consistent communication from the Bama staff and are butthurt that Ash didn't reach out after the hire. With Turner trending away from aggy, they called Blackshire. That's it. That addresses the entire quote.

• Like 3

Mike Leach wants Blackshire at LB...for Bama!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

sounds about right as ive said before the visits are wack compared to the strong era visits 

Coaches change

imagine saying this with a straight face when talking about Texas (vs Bama)

why people burn bridges in any situation really confuses me. there is no need to, and if he changes his mind, gets hurt and Bama trapdoors him, Saban retires and they hire Sean Snyder as their HC, etc you have pissed some people off for literally no reason

I was not aware her new position was announced, but it appears that Tory Tekyll left Texas for a role called "Assistant AD, Director of Football Operations" at Kansas. So, basically her title here with "Assistant AD" tacked on the front. She's not on the administrative staff, she's on the football staff. 

It was particularly unfortunate to lose Tory, and it's particularly irritating that it doesn't look like much of a promotion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

FWIW @Longhornfrenzy had a screenshot from some random OU 247 mod that OU will be a real player for Bowman and stay in it up until NSD....seems like wishcasting and sunshine pumping but his gf going there definitely gives me pause...hope this isnt Bru part 2 electric boogaloo

It's not from one of their recruiting reporters/analysts, it's a random mod whose handle is "Mooreboomer", who I'm assuming is an appointed fan mod to help control the board in his free time or something. It's basically "I think he'll take visits to OUbecause of his girlfriend, and I think if OU lands Foster, Wheaton, and Byrd, it'll catch his attention" 

• Like 2

Here's the post from "Mooreboomer"

"I’m calling my shot... Billy Bowman will keep OU in this until NSD.

There is no doubt he will be in Norman a couple times from now until NSD. I’ll go as far to say he will take an OV if they are allowed.

Don’t kid yourself either, he is paying attention to where the top 3 Texas guy left on our board and UT’s board (Byrd, Wheaton, and Foster) end up going. He already sees Cody Jackson, Clayton Smith, and Latrell McCutchin all top guys at their positions.

This offer meant something to him and he is going to be very open to the opportunity of playing in Norman. Can we close him? I think that depends on where the 3 Texas kids go and if we can officially host him for a visit. I think if you get him in a room with LR and staff, he’s in."

Here's a post from someone else in that thread

"I have known both of them for several years. Outstanding young adults. However, flipping Billy is highly unlikely. He has been locked into UT as hard as anyone I have covered in the Metroplex the last 10 years. He was even doing the hook em horn signs at Jayda’s Gatorade Player of the Year award ceremony I attended. Not disrespectfully at all but letting everyone know where he stands. Even in the pic he and I took. Him and J‘ Tavian Sanders the DE For Denton Ryan have been as active as any for UT trying to recruit players to UT. Bryce Foster And Wheaton included... I would love for this to happen but it’s more of a pipe dream going forward.

My question is this, WTH took so long to offer him in the first place? You can’t blame FUMS for all of that because Grinch was here too and it took him 18 months to offer? SMDH.

Len,"

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's not from one of their recruiting reporters/analysts, it's a random mod whose handle is "Mooreboomer", who I'm assuming is an appointed fan mod to help control the board in his free time or something. It's basically "I think he'll take visits to OUbecause of his girlfriend, and I think if OU lands Foster, Wheaton, and Byrd, it'll catch his attention" 

guy even threw out McCutchin's name lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was not aware her new position was announced, but it appears that Tory Tekyll left Texas for a role called "Assistant AD, Director of Football Operations" at Kansas. So, basically her title here with "Assistant AD" tacked on the front. She's not on the administrative staff, she's on the football staff. 

It was particularly unfortunate to lose Tory, and it's particularly irritating that it doesn't look like much of a promotion.

Meh.

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Agreed, like I said definitely seems like wishcasting

Getting tied up in knots about random internal admins, even if they're popular with the team, moving around is a great way to always feel like the sky is falling. It's much more "just a job" for them than it is for coaches.

Yeah, that happened a couple weeks back. I'm also not pleased. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Getting tied up in knots about random internal admins, even if they're popular with the team, moving around is a great way to always feel like the sky is falling. It's much more "just a job" for them than it is for coaches.

The concern is more about her role on the football staff and now being a less than opportune time to replace it. You would think that Tom would push to match title and salary when on the surface, the job is the same. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

One of the Horn mods reached out to him last night and Bowman laughed it off and said there is nothing to worry about. 

1) If Tory was difficult to replace, I doubt that Texas would have just let her walk

2) Given the budget struggles that athletic departments are having, there should be plenty of out-of-house options available to replace her with 

59 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The concern is more about her role on the football staff and now being a less than opportune time to replace it. You would think that Tom would push to match title and salary when on the surface, the job is the same. 

Its entirely possible that the work she wants to do is already being done by someone at Texas.   I'd say its likely that she is taking on a bigger role in the athletic department at Kansas - even if her job title is similar to what she had at Texas.

22 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Some of y’all are just looking for shit to be worried out.

I'm looking for shit NOT to be worried about... but regardless of what any 995er or OU fanboy mod says, one element in all of this remains undefeated, and is a wildcard whether I like it or not. 

Piggybacking on [mention=2757]canadianhorn21[/mention]'s post from yesterday, I think we'll all be happy to see Jaden Alexis' Twitter likes: https://twitter.com/jayialexis/likes
(except for the first one, but pretty much every recruit likes posts they're tagged in)
Dude is liking Texas softball tweets. Put him in the calculator.184d46f36d00415f7f337a36f1788f36.jpg
  • Like 5

Wells talked to Helm after his self-guided tour, article on IT. Looks like it went well, he facetimed with Yurch and Boulware for some of it. Wells says he's down to Wisconsin, Iowa, and Texas and there should be news "in the next week or so".

Notably, fOSU is out. No indication of which side ended that relationship, although he also took a self-guided tour of Columbus. I am going to choose to believe that he dropped them after said visit. Columbus is....not great. Especially if your exposure to it is in the middle of the day with your dad. Also, Colorado is out but we knew that when they took Olsen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wells talked to Helm after his self-guided tour, article on IT. Looks like it went well, he facetimed with Yurch and Boulware for some of it. Wells says he's down to Wisconsin, Iowa, and Texas and there should be news "in the next week or so".

Notably, fOSU is out. No indication of which side ended that relationship, although he also took a self-guided tour of Columbus. I am going to choose to believe that he dropped them after said visit. Columbus is....not great. Especially if your exposure to it is in the middle of the day with your dad. Also, Colorado is out but we knew that when they took Olsen. 

I'm not sure how much of a priority he's been for OSU. He doesn't show up on 11 warrior's like last six recruiting pages. I'd search 247, but 247's search function is a joke 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Notably, fOSU is out. No indication of which side ended that relationship, although he also took a self-guided tour of Columbus. I am going to choose to believe that he dropped them after said visit.

The Buckeyes have increased their attention on Dametrious Crownover recently, so I say your theory checks out. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wildly under-ranked IMO. I get that he's mostly got WR HUDL and so you have to project but when you see his few plays on D, he covers an incredible amount of ground quickly. He takes good angles and he's clearly got a lot of athleticism and a frame to gain good weight. He looks like a badass centerfielder style FS to me, but still very physical. He's just scratching the surface.  

Just now, golfclap said:

Wildly under-ranked IMO. I get that he's mostly got WR HUDL and so you have to project but when you see his few plays on D, he covers an incredible amount of ground quickly. He takes good angles and he's clearly got a lot of athleticism and a frame to gain good weight. He looks like a badass centerfielder style FS to me, but still very physical. He's just scratching the surface.  

He attends University so it isn't like he is an unknown. I assume his low ranking is due to lack of mutual interest with the home school.