Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Wildly under-ranked IMO. I get that he's mostly got WR HUDL and so you have to project but when you see his few plays on D, he covers an incredible amount of ground quickly. He takes good angles and he's clearly got a lot of athleticism and a frame to gain good weight. He looks like a badass centerfielder style FS to me, but still very physical. He's just scratching the surface.  

Agreed. He has much better ball skills than Lemear, and if Mukuba leaves us at the altar, I hope we refocus on Gilbert. Lemear is a poor man's Jerrin Thompson in my mind. At least someone like Gilbert provides some positional versatility. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Agreed. He has much better ball skills than Lemear, and if Mukuba leaves us at the altar, I hope we refocus on Gilbert. Lemear is a poor man's Jerrin Thompson in my mind. At least someone like Gilbert provides some positional versatility. 

I think Lyrik Rawls might be backup option the staff has on their radar as well

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He attends University so it isn't like he is an unknown. I assume his low ranking is due to lack of mutual interest with the home school.

I think the services were ranking him more as a WR prospect early. ESPN still has him ranked super low. Rivals being Rivals - they actually dropped his ranking 5 slots since January, this despite some really good teams making him a priority (Alabama, for instance). It's 9.95er nonsense.

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Wildly under-ranked IMO. I get that he's mostly got WR HUDL and so you have to project but when you see his few plays on D, he covers an incredible amount of ground quickly. He takes good angles and he's clearly got a lot of athleticism and a frame to gain good weight. He looks like a badass centerfielder style FS to me, but still very physical. He's just scratching the surface.  

I wonder if Corey Collier could potentially take his spot at LSU

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Do you know what LSU has for numbers? I mean, I guess he could be their 3rd S take, but with Gee and Ryan, I just don't know. Are they taking 3 S and 6 DBs overall? 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Lyrik Rawls might be backup option the staff has on their radar as well

TCU and Patterson should've sealed that deal a long time ago. I don't know what has changed up there but they don't seem to be doing well at reading the pulse of recruits. Previously they read the room really well and ended up with guys like Trevon Moehrig-Woodard and Sewo Olonilua by knowing when to go after them. TCU should've been able to have Rawls committed and fucked it all up and then flubbed communications with Lemear and lost him as well. They may be able to get back in on Rawls but they should be done and have a really nice duo. Instead, they are a couple of dominoes falling from having to go after Placide Djungu-Sungu (this was simply for @texifornia's benefit) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Do you know what LSU has for numbers? I mean, I guess he could be their 3rd S take, but with Gee and Ryan, I just don't know. Are they taking 3 S and 6 DBs overall? 

I think Ryan is a nickel for them, so two safeties aside from him I think 

I think two corners, unless there's a third best player available type who they can't tur ndown 

I think their class limit is 24

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

32 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Looks like the Corey Collier thing changed yesterday. Some LSU posters think he wasn't a take right now

Here's what one of their two insiders who I pay attention to is saying

"You're exactly right here. If it was up to CCR, he'd be a Tiger, but O has final say on the total numbers, and right now O thinks he is filling his 26 spots with exactly who he wants. Collier is first man out unless something changes between now and his commitment. I have no clue if it will or won't change between now then though, so it's just sort of a wait and see at the moment."

"2-3 OL
1 RB
2-3 DL
1 LB
1 WR
1 TE
2-3 DBs

Just off the top of my head ballpark numbers. "

"Thomas Jr as 4th
IF (not sure they will) they took a 5th, I could see it being Malik Nabers because they feel he could play WR or CB for them, but as it stands idk that he makes it in."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
23 hours ago, Fud said:
Maybe you're right that he hasn't had much speed specific training, but it's worth noting that he's a Cherry Creek kid, the equivalent of the Woodlands in Denver, and likely has a lot of high dollar training available if he wants it
I don't have a dog in the fight, I haven't seen anything of him other than a backflip video 

If he lives in Cherry Creek, he would have gone to Valor Christian if his parents were really all about football.

Splitting hairs..  basically BAMA vs Ohio State.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

He looks like a WR to me. I feel like he and Knox are going to combine for roughly 6 trillion yards. 

against aggy alone. 

You mean tall slow safeties with poor agility playing corner aren't good matchups against Mike Leach-coached offenses?

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

on McCaskill ... 

What’s to like about a 200 pound back (with a frame to go to 225) who runs with power and balance that happens to run a 10.9?

Oh, everything that’s right. 

What’s to like about Yurcich and not Drayton being the recruiter? 
girl smile GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

So Roach wants Texas fans to be amped about a 2022 5’9” RB from Mater Dei that is all but committed to OU. This despite an in-state crop of Jaydon Blue, Jadarian Price, Tavorus Jones, Emeka Megwa, and more? 

Was he feeling jealous of my hate for Nahlin’s Bullshit the past few months? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So Roach wants Texas fans to be amped about a 2022 5’9” RB from Mater Dei that is all but committed to OU. This despite an in-state crop of Jaydon Blue, Jadarian Price, Tavorus Jones, Emeka Megwa, and more? 

Was he feeling jealous of my hate for Nahlin’s Bullshit the past few months? 

Roach loves everyone he saw on that SoCal trip he took because 

a) DID YOU KNOW HIS WORK SENT HIM TO LA WOW

and b) most of the best kids go to the big private/Catholic schools and are super-polished from a media standpoint - I think they're nicer to him than a lot of the Texas kids

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also of note... I would be very hesitant to put a SoCal kid, and more specifically a Mater Dei kid,  on my commit list as an OOS school in a year when it is VERY likely that USC gets a new HC. No matter who they hire they are going to get a big bounce but if they hire well? Or even decent? Those kids will fight in open hand combat for their offer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Roach loves everyone he saw on that SoCal trip he took because 

and b) most of the best kids go to the big private/Catholic schools and are super-polished from a media standpoint - I think they're nicer to him than a lot of the Texas kids

This reminds me of Hamm going to LSU and crushing on Austin Thomas because he treated Hamm like a human being, so Hamm was like “he’s basically the reason LSU recruits so well”

fucking magical. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Also of note... I would be very hesitant to put a SoCal kid, and more specifically a Mater Dei kid,  on my commit list as an OOS school in a year when it is VERY likely that USC gets a new HC. No matter who they hire they are going to get a big bounce but if they hire well? Or even decent? Those kids will fight in open hand combat for their offer. 

Even if they hire a certain Jeff Fisher?