Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, CL Horn said:

Garza:aggy::Helm:Texas?

Oh Jesus no, Helm's being pursued by TE-heavy schools like Iowa and Wisconsin. He's not as dynamic as King, but he's a real prospect. Garza is just Jimbo blowing a spot on a blocking surface that keeps the Katy pipeline alive into next year when there's a bunch of good recruits from the area.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh Jesus no, Helm's being pursued by TE-heavy schools like Iowa and Wisconsin. He's not as dynamic as King, but he's a real prospect. Garza is just Jimbo blowing a spot on a blocking surface that keeps the Katy pipeline alive into next year when there's a bunch of good recruits from the area.

Yeah what you said.  Plus Helm actually splits out at WR some in addition to playing in-line and blocking and stuff.  Still wish we had King, but Helm isn't some scrub take.

Garza is another Glenn Beal.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Myslinski is getting a run of Texas picks on Rivals.  2* baby!

Let's hope Rivals continues to be ass my dude.

I really hope that if Myslinski ends up being a take, that it doesn't come at the expense of Oyetade.

Also, I'm with @golfclap on trying Ike Iwunnah out on the OL.

Intrigued by how OL recruiting is beginning to unfold.

I think Myslinki is a good center prospect. His size and competition are suspect, but he moves well and plays nasty; two boxes checked. I think he'll potentially be particularly effective working to the second level. I prefer Ezra if we're just going off of hudl, although there's not much of a delta there in my eyes between the two, but I'm wondering why his offer list isn't as good as you'd expect from his hudl, especially regionally; maybe he's smaller than we think, or there's something else that's being missed? No offers from the TCU, Baylor, and Okie State (or anyone in the Big XII) types much less Texas, LSU, OU, and A&M, although he does have some mid-tier P5s in Mizzou, Virginia, and Arizona. Texas and LSU are both kicking the tires on him as a backup plan right now, it seems.

Going through Myslinki's offers and their 247 sites, it seems like Iowa, FSU, Maryland, Michigan State, and Louisville all want him, which doesn't necessarily mean he's a good prospect in and of itself, but it also arguably means that Texas isn't completely going out on a limb in potentially taking him. Iowa in particular pushing for him is noteworthy, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Going through Myslinki's offers and their 247 sites, it seems like Iowa, FSU, Maryland, Michigan State, and Louisville all want him, which doesn't necessarily mean he's a good prospect in and of itself, but it also arguably means that Texas isn't completely going out on a limb in potentially taking him. Iowa in particular pushing for him is noteworthy, imo. 

I watched this kid's stuff last Friday, and all of the pancaking and driving is a bit hard to gauge based on competition, but outside of that he's still interesting. A guy you don't want to "have" to take, sure, but the stuff I saw showed some good feet and movement, and some good athleticism displayed on defense as well. Sometimes those evals work, sometimes they don't. 

Would hope that, in the event he does commit, that he fills out. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I watched this kid's stuff last Friday, and all of the pancaking and driving is a bit hard to gauge based on competition, but outside of that he's still interesting. A guy you don't want to "have" to take, sure, but the stuff I saw showed some good feet and movement, and some good athleticism displayed on defense as well. Sometimes those evals work, sometimes they don't. 

Would hope that, in the event he does commit, that he fills out. 

They could be wrong, but Hand/Yancy/Herman/Yurcich wouldn't take him if they didn't think he'd put on the necessary weight to be able to eventually anchor at a high level 

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: How can Texas finish the 2021 class?

As the 2020 season draws nearer, the Texas staff is looking to fill out the recruiting class and cap off the first cycle under this mostly new staff. The Longhorns are more than halfway done with this class with 14 total prospects in the class. With anywhere from 10-11 spots left, the way this class finishes could determine the ultimate ceiling of this group. Texas could be on the verge of adding several commits in the next month and we are starting to get a clearer picture on the way this class could look once completed. Two big Texas targets also visited Austin in the last week while the Longhorns made moves in those races.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, I draw out how this class could be filled and provide updates on several Texas targets who could be making a decision soon. Prospects aren’t able to do much when they take their own visits during the COVID-19 dead period, so the reaction to those visits has been mixed. I spoke with Ketron Jackson and sources near him, and it sounds like the reaction to his Austin trip was strong.

Jackson made the trip with a 7v7 coach who showed him around the Texas campus and then took him up in the hills to show some of the beautiful views of lakes and rivers. Jackson told me he’s seen the campus a few times when he was there for state track and field, but this was really the first time he’s looked at the football side of things.

The visit concluded with a trip to Terry Black’s to get some barbecue and Jackson left Austin late Saturday night to return home. While he wasn’t able to have any face-to-face interaction with Texas staff or players, Tom Herman and Andre Coleman both communicated with him via FaceTime while he was on the visit. It also helps that Jackson has recently been in contact with several Texas receivers. Jackson told me that he already had a great appreciation for Coleman after building a relationship with him, but the Texas receivers gave him nothing but excellent feedback when it comes to Coleman’s coaching style.

It was mentioned that Coleman’s to-the-point style was something Jackson actually appreciated about him and he feels development is the most important thing he’s looking for.  Some of those players have also told him how good Hudson Card looks in early workouts which stuck out to him as well.  I've heard from a few sources that Jackson's father prefers Texas most as well.

I think Texas made a huge jump in this recruitment following the visit. In fact, I’d say Texas is at the top of his list along with schools like TCU and Arkansas. My Crystal Ball pick is on Arkansas at the moment, and I’m not quite ready to change it yet. I’d probably lower my confidence score quite a bit, but I want to see how this plays out over a longer period of time. I really like where Texas stands as of today though.
Gunnar Helm (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | USCfootball.com, 247Sports)

+++

Englewood (CO.) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm is expected to make a decision later today. His visit to Austin pushed Texas into a strong position within the recruitment. I’m told that Helm and his father loved their time at Texas but the process of making a decision is more difficult than they imagined. Texas has a lot of what Helm wants in a school but a long relationship with Wisconsin and great faith in how the Badgers use the tight end made them think. The Texas staff told Helm to take a few days to talk things over with his family in order to make the best decision. My pick is on Texas and I have no reason to move off of that.

+++

There have been a few questions about when a commitment could come from Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch wide receiver Jaden Alexis. I checked last week with sources in south Florida, and the Texas buzz is still considerable. Alexis seems to be in no hurry to make a decision, but I’m told that Alexis is still expected to make a decision before the summer ends. With August almost upon us, I could honestly see him making his commitment in the next few weeks. As far as where things stand, I still feel confident that Texas is doing the best job in this recruitment.

+++

Offensive line dominoes could start to fall this week depending on what happens with Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski. The three-star prospect will pick between a few schools and Texas is in the running. There’s some confidence on the Texas side with this one, but nobody knows for sure and Myslinski himself said his mind isn’t made up when asked.

If Texas lands him, they would likely move on to looking for tackle bodies and if they were to miss, they’d have to move on to secondary targets on the interior like Ezra Dotson-Oyetade. Iowa seems to be the other main source of competition I’ve heard for Myslinski, and I think the Hawkeyes will be the biggest source of competition. We’ll continue to check back this week to see where things stand as Myslinski comes to a decision.

+++

I checked with sources regarding Arizona graduate transfer linebacker Tony Fields. Fields recently tweeted a top three that includes Texas with Minnesota and West Virginia. Fields and the Longhorns have been talking since he entered the portal and I was told that the conversations have been productive. Texas has the opportunity for playing time and a strong record with graduate transfers under Tom Herman that they can sell.

Add in the fact that Chris Ash and Coleman Hutzler are two of the stronger recruiters on staff and I’d say that Texas is in a good position here. We will keep checking in with sources on this front to see if Texas can add a vital piece to the 2020 roster.

+++

How will the Texas class shake out? With 14 commits already in place, it’s tough to see Texas going over the 25 man limit by much. Let’s say there are ten to eleven spots left in the class. Where will those spots be dedicated to down the stretch?

Running Back

Texas is still chasing an elite back in the class with Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson on the board. Jonathon Brooks is already in the class, so it’s unlikely that the Longhorns would go to another option if they miss on the top two targets. If Texas loses out on Wheaton and Johnson, I expect they will close up shop.

Wide Receiver

Casey Cain is already a member of the recruiting class and I could see Texas taking two or three more. Jaden Alexis is a vital piece here because he has the versatility to play inside or outside depending on need. If Texas lands Alexis, the staff can likely choose to take one less prospect at the position.

Offensive Line

Hayden Conner is locked in as one of the strongest members of the class, and I think the total number up front could be three to four. If the Longhorns can add one more interior body, they may choose to take one or two tackle bodies depending on the way the rest of the class plays out. Of course, this could change depending on the way things go with primary targets like Bryce Foster, but I don’t expect it to be a large position group.

Tight End

Like running back I could see this being a group that either adds one more or stands pat with what they currently have. With Gunnar Helm set to make a decision soon, he could be the last piece of this tight end group that has seen so much recruiting attrition in the last two years. This could also be a position where Texas chooses to save room in order to add other parts to the recruiting class.

Defensive Line

The Longhorns already hold commitments from Jordon Thomas and athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders who could end up at defensive line once he gets to college. Depending on how they view Derrick Harris Jr., he could factor into that number as well. It’s clear that Texas will likely take up to two more prospects on the defensive line, and it’s likely those will be interior prospects. Shemar Turner is the guy I see them holding a spot for, and if they could land Albert Regis, that would probably round out the group.

Linebacker

I believe Texas would like to take two more at this position with eyes on a top target like Terrence Cooks. If the Longhorns could find another target, I believe they would likely take a third. I don’t see Texas reaching just to fill a number, but if a committed target decides to open his recruitment, I think the staff would stretch to take another at this position.

Defensive Back

Texas is just about done in the secondary with commitments from Ishmael Ibraheem, Jamier Johnson, JD Coffey and Billy Bowman, but they would likely take one more if they could land Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba. If Texas misses on Mukuba they could take a shot at secondary targets like Devin Lemear, but Chris Ash could also choose to bank that number for next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No surprise there. But there’s more than enough talent on campus to win and win big. He just has to coach. If he wins big this year, he’ll be pulling in sick talent for 2022. If he steps in his dick again, he’ll be in his way out. Once you settle in on that, and know he’ll be leaving the cupboard pretty well stocked, the uncertainty becomes easier to stomach. 

our defensive line should be fucking filthy this year. I mean filthy, and 2 deep. We lost a stud WR, but there should be more overall talent at WR than we had on the field at times last season. Eagles, Smith, Whittington and Washington are fiiiilthy. And that’s before we see what we get from Black, Moore, and whoever else. RB is fucking filthy. The only question mark is the oline, honestly. And it’s not if they’ll be deplorable it’s just can they take the next step. 

Unless Yurich is a complete fucking fraud and is Tim Beck level shitty, we should be in plenty good shape. 

Now, do you feel better or do I need to write another sentence with the word filthy in it?

Could you do one more sentence with the word filthy?

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No surprise there. But there’s more than enough talent on campus to win and win big. He just has to coach. If he wins big this year, he’ll be pulling in sick talent for 2022. If he steps in his dick again, he’ll be in his way out. Once you settle in on that, and know he’ll be leaving the cupboard pretty well stocked, the uncertainty becomes easier to stomach. 

our defensive line should be fucking filthy this year. I mean filthy, and 2 deep. We lost a stud WR, but there should be more overall talent at WR than we had on the field at times last season. Eagles, Smith, Whittington and Washington are fiiiilthy. And that’s before we see what we get from Black, Moore, and whoever else. RB is fucking filthy. The only question mark is the oline, honestly. And it’s not if they’ll be deplorable it’s just can they take the next step. 

Unless Yurich is a complete fucking fraud and is Tim Beck level shitty, we should be in plenty good shape. 

Now, do you feel better or do I need to write another sentence with the word filthy in it?

If we get off to a hot start and beat both LSU and ou.. there will be some flips the staff can get from other schools.

Wheaton's first interview in a while, with Spiegleman 

"Camar Wheaton has found a way to remain out of the spotlight again this offseason.
The nation's top-ranked running back, Wheaton is brings an aura of mystery unlike any prospect in the 2021 class. He's the top-rated player in Texas, top-rated player at his position and No. 7 overall prospect in America, yet his recruitment remains a mystery with only shreds of intel to sift through.

At this stage in the process, the five-star running back from Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial is in communication with about six teams, including Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M and SMU. Wheaton indicated he is speaking with coaches from all of those schools pretty regularly, though sources have told Rivals that the Longhorns and Sooners are making the hardest pushes at this stage in the process.

Wheaton does not have a precise timeline in place to unveil his commitment, but hinted that he is getting closer and closer toward a decision, which could come at any point, including even the near future.

"I'm coming closer to decisions," Wheaton told Rivals.

Wheaton does not give much away when discussing individual teams or coaches. He offered the following responses on the six teams he mentioned recruiting him hardest at this point in the calendar.
On Oklahoma: "They're talking to me and making sure I'm working out, I'm healthy and they've been checking on my friend (who recently passed away)." ... Wheaton also mentioned his visit to Norman before the Dead Period was important since he's been unable to visit other college campuses since March.
On Texas: "It's basically the same. We weren't expecting that our last visit (to Texas) was gonna be the last college visit. It became more appealing. I've been in touch with them weekly and they're trying to see where I'm at in the process." ... Wheaton was coming off his weekly Zoom call with the Texas coaches prior to this interview.
On SMU: "They keep texting me and telling me that me (and Preston Stone) are enough to change the program around."
On LSU: "They're really just checking on me and also seeing where I was in the process. They let me be in the driver's seat."
On Alabama: "They've been checking in on me, seeing where I was with the process."
On Texas A&M: "They want me to make one more visit out there to see."

While the usually tight-lipped Wheaton is not one for giving away too much information regardless his top schools or where he's at with his recruitment, did offer the following criteria as the biggest X-factors in sorting through his top schools.
"The coaches, my teammates and how my family feels about the school," Wheaton outlined.
He also added that his family likes all of the schools he's giving strong consideration to.
As Wheaton moves closer and closer toward a decision, he is still awaiting word on whether or not he'll be able to take his official visits. The five-star indicated that he'd prefer to take his official visits in the fall, but is open to giving a commitment without them.
"I want to see them on my visits, but it could be any day," he said.
MORE ON WHEATON

The nation's No. 1-ranked back has devoted the offseason to sharpening his footwork, his vision out of the backfield and improving as a pass-catcher. He's been working out regularly throughout the offseason at and away from Lakeview Centennial and he's been impressed by his progress leading into his senior year.
"Really, I've been focusing on the season and training, getting back in condition and everything," Wheaton detailed. "I just find a couple of friends and go run routes, run around the track ... anything to keep up in-shape ... I've been improving a lot. I just want people to see it next year. I've been working on my vision, my vision plays and my footwork is way faster now."
Wheaton was encouraged by recent news that larger schools in the Lone Star State will have a full 2020 football season beginning at the end of September.
"I'm ready," he said. "Everybody will be showing out. We've been all leading up to this point. I can't wait for it!""

• Hook 'Em 2

247 / Steve Wiltfong / Relationships important in recruitment of 5-star Camar Wheaton

Spoiler

Relationships important in recruitment of 5-star Camar Wheaton
STEVE WILTFONG

Those close to Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial five-star running back Camar Wheaton say his recruitment is still a toss up. The No. 2 running back in the 247Sports Composite remains in touch with several programs.

“I’d say Texas, Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma,” Lakeview Centennial head coach Kendall Miller said. Texas A&M and SMU are also involved for the 5-foot-11, 190-pound Wheaton.

“I think for him it’s what’s going to be the best fit for him that feels like home,” Miller explained. “Every place has bells and whistles, what’s going to be the biggest fit for him. I think identifying with the coaching staff is something that’s always been important with him and relationships with the coaches.”

Wheaton got a chance to visit LSU, Oklahoma, SMU and Texas again before the Covid-19 pandemic hit sending us into a recruiting dead period. He’d like to take official visits before deciding.

With that, Wheaton remains focused on his senior season and closing his prep career strong.

“He’s a guy that’s going to tote the mail for us no doubt,” Miller said. “One of the biggest developments he’s had, he’s always been a mature kid but he’s older and more established and knowing what’s expected of him and being able to carry that on his shoulders.”

One of the fastest players regardless of position in the class, Wheaton has rushed for 3,128 yards and 40 touchdowns over his first three varsity seasons.

“He has the ability on any carry to take it to the house,” Miller said. “That’s something that separates him from other running backs. If he gets a seam and breaks through he’s probably not going to get caught. You see that with receivers but not as much with running backs and that’s without a doubt his best attribute.”

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: How can Texas finish the 2021 class?

Our defensive class is going to be really damn good. Could be elite if we can land Mukuba. Offensively, not so much. This is like a bizarro OU class, excluding Milroe.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This class is going to be the lowest rated class since the transition.  A shame.  Better hope the evals are spot on for the most part.

Yeah, We really needed a chance to win on the field to bring this class rating up.  Herman just can’t help making things unnecessarily difficult, on or off the field. He seems like a guy who needs a high level of stress to perform and then falls off when things get comfortable. 

Still though, were probably headed for  about 7th-9th overall, so it won’t be a bad class. That’s still quite a bit better than anything Charlie or Mack brought in in the last ten years, so the overall talent level in the program will still be pretty high. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This roster is loaded. Easily a top 5 talented roster in the country.  There’s no excuses this year. Gundy’s pretty much confirmed that Yurcich ran the O and called plays at OSU, so that’s a big positive, but he’s still only ever been an OC under great offensive HCs, so he’s still a bit of an unknown. At least we know from this year that not all OCs thrive under Gundy. 

On defense, Ash running a simple system is great news. We have the talent on D. Just let them play.  This is the most talented roster we’ve had since 09, and it’s not even close. No excuses left. Time to put it all together (and actually have a season. Fucking Covid.). 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

I know it’s probably been discussed already, but wasn’t or isn’t Camar a risk? I remember someone saying he’s Zach Evans 2.0 as far as talent and headcasery goes. 

As far as being a diva sketchy attention seeking shithead? I don't think so. More of a combination of him being quiet, having some personality quirks, not telling anyone where he's leaning, and perhaps having some forces pushing him towards SMU

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

I know it’s probably been discussed already, but wasn’t or isn’t Camar a risk? I remember someone saying he’s Zach Evans 2.0 as far as talent and headcasery goes. 

He's nothing like Zach Evans. If Zach Evans were a runaway locomotive of lunacy and amoral shitbaggery, Camar Wheaton is a pink 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

@closetojumping gave a few cryptic warnings about Wheaton's recruitment a while back. But nothing close to the Evans craziness.

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is like a bizarro OU class, excluding Milroe.

I think Conner is outstanding and if Alexis joins the class he is as well.

Conner's fall on 247 is absurd, esp considering his fall vs. Foster's rise and yes I am aware of Foster's upside and potential but if you watch those guys play Conner is a far better football player. Outside of that, the offensive class is going to lean heavily on evals. Very. Heavily. Davis, Cain, Brooks, Helm. Any other take, outside of the Camar/LJ Johnson will lean on eval. 

The interesting thing is that when I look at the offensive players in the top 50 in Texas there's very few guys outside of JoJo and Tommy Brockermeyer that make me feel like "oh man, Texas missed on that one."  I guess Quay would qualify but the idea that you could keep his head straight and stay that way for 3 years seems really unlikely. Outside of that it's a collection of guys I feel meh or worse about (like Byrd, Fatheree, Sturdivant, Banks). a shit ton of QBs when we already have Milroe and only one of those QBs that gives me pause, Kyron Drones. 

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Conner's fall on 247 is absurd, esp considering his fall vs. Foster's rise and yes I am aware of Foster's upside and potential but if you watch those guys play Conner is a far better football player. Outside of that, the offensive class is going to lean heavily on evals. Very. Heavily. Davis, Cain, Brooks, Helm. Any other take, outside of the Camar/LJ Johnson will lean on eval. 

The interesting thing is that when I look at the offensive players in the top 50 in Texas there's very few guys outside of JoJo and Tommy Brockermeyer that make me feel like "oh man, Texas missed on that one."  I guess Quay would qualify but the idea that you could keep his head straight and stay that way for 3 years seems really unlikely. Outside of that it's a collection of guys I feel meh or worse about (like Byrd, Fatheree, Sturdivant, Banks). a shit ton of QBs when we already have Milroe and only one of those QBs that gives me pause, Kyron Drones. 

The good news here is that if there's one thing Herman and crew have done exceptionally well, it's evaluation. They can absolutely evaluate, or at least they have up until now. They'd have to completely 180 to monumentally fail at evaluating this class, and that seems unlikely. It would be akin to Herman waking up and suddenly not being an arrogant prick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

We've talked about if before but it's wild that Texas of all states could have a WR class that's just meh. Even the top 5 of the position starts getting wobbly after Earle and Davis.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

If Texas loses out on Wheaton and Johnson, I expect they will close up shop.

If Texas lands Alexis, the staff can likely choose to take one less prospect at the position.

but I don’t expect it to be a large position group.

This could also be a position where Texas chooses to save room in order to add other parts to the recruiting class.

Shemar Turner is the guy I see them holding a spot for, and if they could land Albert Regis, that would probably round out the group.

I don’t see Texas reaching just to fill a number,

If Texas misses on Mukuba they could take a shot at secondary targets like Devin Lemear, but Chris Ash could also choose to bank that number for next year.

Does Roach think that Texas is going to close out 2021 with like 16-18 person class? Fucking shit. I guess it makes sense, given that they haven't committed yet, it's the only way he can project another commitment at any position. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Conner's fall on 247 is absurd, esp considering his fall vs. Foster's rise and yes I am aware of Foster's upside and potential but if you watch those guys play Conner is a far better football player. 

Have said it several times, Conner and Fatheree's rankings should be flipped.  

What's funny is Kelvin Banks got a huge ratings boost because of that Houston camp and Conner was just as good at it and dropped.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Does Roach think that Texas is going to close out 2021 with like 16-18 person class? Fucking shit. I guess it makes sense, given that they haven't committed yet, it's the only way he can project another commitment at any position. 

Class of 25

WR: 2 more (J.Alexis and K.Jackson)

TE: 1 more (G.Helm)

OL: 4 more (no clue)

SDE: 1 more (S.Turner/A.Walker)

DT: 1 more (A.Regis/I.Iwunnah)

LB: 1 more (T.Cooks)

S: 1 more (A.Mukuba)

41 minutes ago, Scholz said:

SDE: 1 more (S.Turner/A.Walker)

DT: 1 more (A.Regis/I.Iwunnah)

I think you look at the 2021 depth chart and see the possibility of only 1 of Sweat/Coburn/Ojomo on the roster, which is assuming that Coburn and Sweat both leave after kicking ass. If that's the case the depth at DT revolves around Ojomo staying for a 4th and hopefully 5th year (so that he can celebrate his 13th birthday with the team). Sawyer Goram-Welch, and Broughton/Collins. I assume with the limited number of offers at DT that the staff feels like they have at least one of the DE recruits that they like inside as a flex player (like Collins) and a good feeling about Regis/Iwunnah. I still think the staff should consider taking a longer look at Jonathon Jones if he would be the kind of guy to stick for 4/5 years. Losing Mpagi hurts and likely puts Sanders directly on the depth chart/field as a TR FR. Would be nice to take a guy with enormous upside (Jones) and stash and physically develop him. Guys that can get after the QB are too valuable to let them get away. 

I think WR could end up being Cain, Alexis, Jackson, and 2 others. Though Dixon and Harrison both going to WR may reduce that need, esp if they counter any possible attrition at the spot. 

I could see the OL number only being 3. The OT depth chart is deep but the interior could use some numbers and adding 2 along with Conner would be good. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Totally agree on those evaluations, and the offensive talent in the state, but overall it will be around a top 5 defensive class and probably closer to a 15th - 20th overall offensive class, i.e. a bizarro OU class. I think the staff can make some good overall offensive evaluations and get solid offensive talent out of this, but it's a lower level of talent/athlete than we've been pulling in previously. It will be a blip on the radar if we can win on the field this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1