Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think you look at the 2021 depth chart and see the possibility of only 1 of Sweat/Coburn/Ojomo on the roster, which is assuming that Coburn and Sweat both leave after kicking ass. If that's the case the depth at DT revolves around Ojomo staying for a 4th and hopefully 5th year (so that he can celebrate his 13th birthday with the team). Sawyer Goram-Welch, and Broughton/Collins. I assume with the limited number of offers at DT that the staff feels like they have at least one of the DE recruits that they like inside as a flex player (like Collins) and a good feeling about Regis/Iwunnah. I still think the staff should consider taking a longer look at Jonathon Jones if he would be the kind of guy to stick for 4/5 years. Losing Mpagi hurts and likely puts Sanders directly on the depth chart/field as a TR FR. Would be nice to take a guy with enormous upside (Jones) and stash and physically develop him. Guys that can get after the QB are too valuable to let them get away. 

I think WR could end up being Cain, Alexis, Jackson, and 2 others. Though Dixon and Harrison both going to WR may reduce that need, esp if they counter any possible attrition at the spot. 

I could see the OL number only being 3. The OT depth chart is deep but the interior could use some numbers and adding 2 along with Conner would be good. 

Sweat can't leave for NFL until after 2021, right? 

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Sweat can't leave for NFL until after 2021, right? 

Right. I guess I meant 2022 in terms of how the 2-deep shakes out as the 2021 guys get added to it. thanks for helping me clarify. 

My brain is a terrifying place. 

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would say it’s very likely one of Collins or Broughton ends up inside. 

I bet we see them play inside but I hope we keep them on the edge.  Both those guys are massive and can run.  They would be huge mismatches for any tackle.  

3 hours ago, Fud said:

As far as being a diva sketchy attention seeking shithead? I don't think so. More of a combination of him being quiet, having some personality quirks, not telling anyone where he's leaning, and perhaps having some forces pushing him towards SMU

Wheaton is far from an attention whore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

re Wheaton, I think the early implication was an Uncle was involved. But haven't anything since then about that. He's the anti-ZachEvans. Wheaton doesn't post much if any on social media and doesn't give interviews. Sounds like he just wants to do his shit privately and then announce. Can't get mo realer than that.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

re Wheaton, I think the early implication was an Uncle was involved. But haven't anything since then about that. He's the anti-ZachEvans. Wheaton doesn't post much if any on social media and doesn't give interviews. Sounds like he just wants to do his shit privately and then announce. Can't get mo realer than that.

If he's the opposite of Evans, we should def have that one poster send him a terrible Superman edit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, futureman said:

myslinski is a fine take.  he’s an overachieving, underestimated, smart, mean player who will be a 6’3” 290# bully in three years and anchor the OL.  he’s not one to worry about. 

You could take Myslinski and still take Ezra Oyetade. Oyetade is a guy they should have offered yesterday.

40 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I bet we see them play inside but I hope we keep them on the edge.  Both those guys are massive and can run.  They would be huge mismatches for any tackle.  

Idk about this. Broughton struggles on the edge, because he's not a real threat to win around the edge. He's already 290 and will get bigger, so he likely needs to spend most of his time on the inside. Collins is an absolute freak and may be able to stay as a threat on the outside. There's a reason most teams dont use 300 lb guys as their DEs on a 4 man line.  You need players who can threaten the edge better.  We'll sacrifice too much pass rush if we use both those guys on the outside. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk about this. Broughton struggles on the edge, because he's not a real threat to win around the edge. He's already 290 and will get bigger, so he likely needs to spend most of his time on the inside. Collins is an absolute freak and may be able to stay as a threat on the outside. There's a reason most teams dont use 300 lb guys as their DEs on a 4 man line.  You need players who can threaten the edge better.  We'll sacrifice too much pass rush if we use both those guys on the outside. 

Yep I agree with this.. VB could play some at DE this season but I'd expect him to move inside when he competes for real playing time.  I feel that Collins needs to stay at DE no matter if he gets up to 325 lbs.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Whats the deal with Oyetade's off list.  All of the 9.95'ers seem to think he should be a priority - but there don't seem to be many P5 schools offering.

There are some solid mid-tier ACC/Pac 12/SEC offers, but no offers from the Big XII at all is a little odd 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would say it’s very likely one of Collins or Broughton ends up inside. 

I think Broughton will play inside for sure, I just don't have high expectations for him. I think Collins is an absolute freak and will play both outside and inside depending on package/down and distance/etc ...  even at his size, his ability to close on the QB is unreal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

Class of 25

WR: 2 more (J.Alexis and K.Jackson)

TE: 1 more (G.Helm)

OL: 4 more (no clue)

SDE: 1 more (S.Turner/A.Walker)

DT: 1 more (A.Regis/I.Iwunnah)

LB: 1 more (T.Cooks)

S: 1 more (A.Mukuba)

Given how OL recruiting is going, there’s no way I want to take 5 in this class.

• Like 1

(Blair Angulo) Commitment analysis: TE Gunnar Helm

PLAYER PROFILE: Gunnar Helm

POSITION: Tight end

HEIGHT: 6-5

WEIGHT: 225

RECRUITMENT: After making the recruiting rounds in recent weeks, the three-star prospect announced his commitment to Texas on Monday, choosing the Longhorns over a list of finalists that included Wisconsin, Iowa and UCLA. Helm took a self-guided visit to Austin last week after amassing more than two dozen scholarship offers and was able to check off the final box in his process despite not meeting the staff in person.

SCOUTING REPORT: Good physical upside with growth potential. Long arms, narrow build through the hips with high waist. Possession tight end with decent body control and high-point ability. Impressive route runner with feel for soft spots in coverage. Valuable pass-catching asset near the goal line. Above average hands and shows tendency to catch the ball away from his body. Can plant his foot and change directions to keep linebackers honest. Physical enough to lower his shoulder and pick up extra yards. Could continue to improve separation from defenders, particularly over the middle. Must get stronger to be a reliable run blocker who can seal the edge. Potential multi-year starter at the Power Five level with chance to garner buzz as All-Conference type performer later in college career. He is the nation’s No. 27 rated tight end and No. 6 overall prospect in the state of Colorado for the 2021 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.

247SPORTS’ TAKE: Although Helm didn’t get to meet with any coaches or players while on his swing through Austin last Monday, the Longhorns definitely benefited from getting the last stop even though they were relatively new to the recruiting battle, having just joined the chase with an offer on June 9. It speaks to the recruiting muscle that Tom Herman and Co. have shown throughout this off-season to ascend to No. 1 among Big 12 programs in the Composite team rankings for the 2021 class strictly via virtual means. It might not be a big-splash victory that will garner national headlines, but Texas did beat out a number of schools that have a recent history of producing tight ends. Wisconsin and Iowa were up there, and UCLA had been in the chase for a long time, but the Longhorns were able to sell a bright future at the position. Helm has plenty of room for growth and improvement, but if he's able to meet some of that upside, as evidenced by his eight touchdowns on only 25 receptions last fall, then Texas is getting a pass catcher that should be able to push for playing time early in his college career.

Mike Roach: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Texas added another talented prospect to the class today in Englewood (CO.) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm. Who's next for the Longhorns? We take a closer look.

Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis

Texas continues to push for Alexis, and sources in Austin still feel good about where things stand with the speedy Florida pass catcher. The Longhorns only have one receiver committed with New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain in the class. If the Longhorns can land Alexis, their wide receiver group will be a long way towards completion.

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny OL Michael Myslinski

Myslinski's commitment could come very soon as the three-star center is set to make his decision this week. Myslinski is down to Michigan State, Texas and Iowa, and the Longhorns are pushing for a commitment with an effort spearheaded by Herb Hand. If Texas can add Myslinski, the class will have two offensive linemen as Hand tries to finish.

Royse City WR Ketron Jackson

Jackson recently completed his own self tour of Austin and the Longhorns got a huge bump in his recruitment. As Texas begins to surge a little, Jackson is looking more and more realistic as a possible part of this class. If Texas can maintain the momentum the staff was able to grab over the weekend following his trip, the Longhorns soon have another dynamic weapon in the receiver room.

Shadow Creek LB Terrence Cooks

Cooks continues to say he will make his commitment in the fall, but sources have told us that it wouldn’t be a surprise to see a decision come earlier. In checking with sources recently, I was told that Texas is still in a great position with Cooks with the qualifier that Georgia is making this race interesting. This is a race built for Coleman Hutzler to win, and Cooks is one of the top defensive targets on the board.

Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton

Texas is all in for top running back targets Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson, and I feel things are more a dead heat for Wheaton than Johnson. Wheaton is still keeping everyone guessing on when and where he might commit, but the constants in this race are Texas, LSU, Oklahoma and SMU. In fact, there's a feeling it might be down to just Texas and Oklahoma right now with control moving back and forth. There’s a feeling a commitment could come out of nowhere or go all the way to signing day for the five-star back.

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Goddamn, I hate that fucking guy. So very much. 

Reminds me of the time OB couldn't keep its mouth shut about the Kyler Murray situation.  They've proven over and over that they'll spoil anything if they learn about it beforehand, which just goes to show how little they usually know. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

So he’s kyle porter 2.0. Great.

18 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

That's some pretty good shit right there.  Given how quickly he has to disengage from the DE, he should get absolutely shitblasted by that LB.  But he keeps his ass low enough through his rip that he beats the blitzer on leverage and fucking stones him at the LOS.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Who was the last good TE for us? And I mean good, not Andrew Beck. 

2007 Finley.

Then Irby and Grant both blew out their knees. McFarland for whatever reason never panned out. Swaim and Beck were good inline blockers, and Beck actually could catch the ball, he just wasn't a real threat in the passing game.

The position has been more injuries than production since the run of Scaife, Thomas, and Finley.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

2007 Finley.

Then Irby and Grant both blew out their knees. McFarland for whatever reason never panned out. Swaim and Beck were good inline blockers, and Beck actually could catch the ball, he just wasn't a real threat in the passing game.

The position has been more injuries than production since the run of Scaife, Thomas, and Finley.

No mention of Caleb Bluiett? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2