Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Reminds me of the time OB couldn't keep its mouth shut about the Kyler Murray situation.  They've proven over and over that they'll spoil anything if they learn about it beforehand, which just goes to show how little they usually know. 

I'm not trying to defend Ketch but I always thought he had to tell his subscribers about the Murray trip.. that's why they pay the $9.95 for

1 hour ago, Fud said:

No mention of Caleb Bluiett? 

While I appreciate the warrior mentality of Caleb, I wouldn't classify him as a good/great TE.  Perhaps that's because he spent half his years on the defensive side of the ball.  What I appreciate most about Caleb is he was a football player.  I think HtownHorn had it right in Finley and Irby (before injury).  I can hardly imagine what Finley and Colt would have done if he stayed another few years - he was truly in a league of his own, even in the Pros.

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

for whatever reason Nahlin felt the need to throw in a Peyton Aucoin reference re: Gunnar Helm

spacer.png

Did you not read the thread where Aucoin was mentioned twice in the first thirty comments before this screenshot?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

Did you not read the thread where Aucoin was mentioned twice in the first thirty comments before this screenshot?

He could have just as easily used David Thomas as Peyton Aucoin. Neither are a particularly good comparison. Probably the better comparison would be Brayden Liebrock but then people would just dog Liebrock as a RS freshman.

The better people to pick on are the $9.95ers. The guy is 6'6" with a good build and good athleticism and good hands. Is it too hard for them to project Helm as a blocker compared to some WR type who can get separation without pads in 7v7?

Steve Wiltfong: Florida WR Jaden Alexis talks top schools

Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch 2021 receiver Jaden Alexis feels "blessed" to be in the position he's in right now, holding close to 40 scholarship offers with his senior season fast approaching. "I’ve worked really hard and continue to stay focused," Alexis said. Many of those programs have worked really hard to land the 5-foot-11, 175-pound pass catcher's signature. "I have a couple of great options," Alexis said before adding who stands out. "Not in any particular order, Rutgers Miami, Penn State, Kentucky, Texas."

The Longhorns are the current 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for Alexis who caught 49 passes for 894 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior. He talked about each school. "Rutgers has an amazing coaching staff and program on the rise. Coach Schiano is going to create the magic again. Miami, I like the offensive staff coming in and the staying close to home factor. Penn State, "They are a team that needs a playmaker receiver and they very well could be a championship contender. Kentucky, "I like coach like Coach Gran’s innovative offense and being in the SEC, great talent every week. Texas, really relatable receiver coach. Great quarterback coach. And the offensive coordinator Coach Yurcich brings and explosive offensive to the Big 12."

Alexis is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation's No. 49 receiver.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Mike at night 

mentioned earlier today that I feel Texas is quietly surging for Camar Wheaton. The Longhorns have been a constant in his recruitment as other schools have moved up and down. I spoke to a source over the weekend near Wheaton who told me that a few months ago, Oklahoma seemed to have the recruitment in the bag. Despite a strong relationship with Stan Drayton, Oklahoma had the offense and opportunity for playing time to sell Wheaton. The five-star back and one of his coaches visited Austin just before the COVID-19 shutdown to take in Texas one last time. It would end up being the last visit he’d be able to take before his senior season, and it seems to have left a lasting impression.

—As Texas and Oklahoma jockeyed for position while SMU, LSU and Alabama remained on the periphery, it looked like it would come down to an old fashioned Red River Shootout. Not only has Stan Draytonbeen a big piece in the recruitment, but former Oklahoma running backs coach Jay Boulwareis now in Austin helping Texas in this recruitment. While DeMarco Murray has a great career behind him at the college and professional levels, his resume as a coach and developer is still questionable. In comparison, Drayton has a stellar resume with guys like Ezekiel Elliott and Jordan Howard as part of his stable of development.

—As we enter his senior season, I don’t think Oklahoma goes away easily. The Sooners have been all out trying to land Wheaton and still have an exciting brand of offense to sell. They’ve also got a strong class of offensive players coming in. Reading into things I’ve been told, it sounds like Texas has been able to put a more well-rounded pitch and Drayton seems to have the best relationship with Wheaton. Add in the fact that Tom Herman is personally involved along with Jay Valai and there’s some reason for optimism in Austin right now. Of course, Camar’s recruitment is one of the most unpredictable and mysterious recruitments I’ve ever been part of, but I wanted to share some of the latest of what I was hearing.

6COMMENTS

—I’ve also been attempting to get in touch with LJ Johnson, but both top running backs in the state prove to be incredibly elusive both off and on the field. I’ve heard that Texas is trying to turn up the heat there as well. Bijan Robinson has been talking with Johnson as well. I still feel Texas has a better shot with Wheaton at this point, but they aren’t going away in the race for Johnson.

—I dug around a bit today on Arizona graduate transfer Tony Fields. He recently cut a top three of Texas, West Virginia and Minnesota. While it may seem like Texas has the advantage on paper, each of those teams pose a threat. On the Texas side, I’ve heard some confidence in Austin regarding the conversations Texas is having and the opportunity for immediate playing time. On the Minnesota side, PJ Fleck is an effective recruiter and the Gophers have some of Fields’ high school teammates on the roster. West Virginia is home to Jahmile Addaewho will be part of the defensive leadership following the dismissal of former DC Vic Koenning. A former Arizona and Minnesota assistant, Addae has a strong relationship with Fields and his high school. It’s unclear what Fields’ timeline will be, but he’s set to graduate mid-August so a decision could come in the next two to three weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's kinda funny that Drayton may win another recruiting victory here. Maybe he doesn't suck after all. If Herman doesn't sabotage the Cain recruitment by telling him to go to Penn State, Texas is looking at Ingram, Cain, Robinson, and Wheaton in 4 straight classes, not too mention the development of Johnson as a RB.

I do agree as the RB coach he should be more involved in recruitments outside his room.

Edited by HtownHorn

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

You’re really going to give him credit for Cain huh?

Should he even get credit for Wheaton if we do get him, considering 3 other coaches, including the head coach, have had to get in on this recruitment?

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Should he even get credit for Wheaton if we do get him, considering 3 other coaches, including the head coach, have had to get in on this recruitment?

The head coach should be in on pretty much every 5 star recruitment. It’s not like there are that many of them.

Drayton’s problem is that he doesn’t really recruit outside of his position, which is something RB coaches usually do.

• Like 1

Anal Hickey

"Had a source tell me over the weekend that four-star safety Andrew Mukuba of Austin (Texas) LBJ is telling both Clemson and LSU favorable things at the moment. 

It's unclear if Texas is receiving such favorable feedback as well. 

But as I've reported for a while, it certainly continues to sound like Clemson and LSU are potentially each other's biggest competition."

I think it's actually good news that the Clemson mod doesn't think that he's all Clemson

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Friday morning.  I saw the screenshots on twitter but I don't think Tex ever got around to posting them here. 

Right, random posters are worried about Wheaton based on roach’s posts, Drumm thinks they’re still in a good position. There’s an insider there who claims that Wheaton is an OU lean, and Drumm cryptically backed him up

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right, random posters are worried about Wheaton based on roach’s posts, Drumm thinks they’re still in a good position. There’s an insider there who claims that Wheaton is an OU lean, and Drumm cryptically backed him up

This is the portion of Drumm's rambling those screenshots are in response to (this was before Roach said that he thought Texas/Wheaton was 'looking good' or whatever mush-mouth phrase Roach used):

One, I’m told Wheaton is a likely candidate to the Sooners Summit event in August.

And two, I know the Sooners still feel confident in their position with Wheaton, but I will readily admit I’m always hesitant on that because I feel like Texas is right there as well, and Camar doesn’t really tip his hand, so it’s usually guess work with him.

Yes, I have heard the rumors on Camar having SOME lean to Texas off of a Zoom call last week, but also know OU did too and they seem confident, as well.

The reality is that no one really has much of a clue where Camar is headed — not even those closest to him. He is that quiet about things when it comes to a decision.

Still, getting him up for the Sooner Summit would be a huge win for OU and could be the thing that puts over the top. It looks like there is a good chance of Camar Wheaton attending, but who knows with him!? Especially when it comes to where he will end up going. A surprise awaits us one day, in my opinion.

Stay tuned to OUInsider for the latest on this.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

I think people are forgetting that if Roach believes something is looking good, he is probably mistaking the prospect for a double double at Whataburger, and he would only be comfortable of predicting a prospect to choose Texas if the prospect was currently enrolled in classes and going through practice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't think Aucoin had a single highlight of him catching a pass in his HS hudl.

to be fair, in part that was because Irv Smith was on his team - right?

(well, plus he had stonehands)

Edited by NoName

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

I don’t care if Satya gets the credit.  If we are signing a 5* running back, not named Evans, it’s a good thing and that’s all that matters.  

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

solid offer list.. this is one of my favorite things in recruiting cycles.. seeing unknown players miraculously turn into 4 stars because of TEXAS... all to the detriment of aggys

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

Maybe they should rename their Texas recruiting site "Whornhub", and they'll get the full attention of their recruiting - ahem -  "staff" ... 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

... or nobody can find a diamond in the rough like Tom!! (Other than Jimbo of course, per Karen)

Spiegleman on Turner

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

Hide contents

@samspiegs

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

Carl's still way out on that limb with this one

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

Reveal hidden contents

@samspiegs

IN HIS OWN WORDS

RIVALS REACTION

So one source is the reason for all the Bama' picks on Rivals?