Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

Not a good look that a kid with 20 P5 offers and who ESPN ultimately rate as top 14 at his position didn't even have a profile page.

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

Hide contents

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

Shemar doesn’t list Texas as one of the schools that talks to him the most and the only coach he mentions by name is Valai.

Giles doin work! 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Shemar doesn’t list Texas as one of the schools that talks to him the most and the only coach he mentions by name is Valai.

Giles doin work! 

Carrington was pulled from emergency DL recruiting support to emergency OL recruiting support, with secondary support duties for WR recruiting. He can only do so much.

29 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

With or without Turner, DL recruiting is still doing better than almost every other position group. DB is the only other group with an argument.

This is definitely true and our DL looks to be in good shape for the foreseeable future, but if we're going to utilize a 4 man front without much blitzing, we need to be landing blue chippers like Turner every year.  

49 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

DL recruiting is still doing better than almost every other position group. DB is the only other group with an argument.

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

my pal in FTW is concerned about Bowman.. says he took off his Texas pics on IG..

Impeccable timing.

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

image.thumb.png.421115bf242a69223efcc5a2d9cda2e4.png

I don't really go on IG much so I don't know if he had more UT pics or not

Yeah, he never had much Texas stuff on his Twitter, but has been pretty locked in, so it's hard to know what to think.

On Twitter he's followed Malzahn and Riley and a couple other OU/Auburn people since they've offered, but his most recent follows are Dasan McCullough and Gunnar Helm.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

Hide contents

@samspiegs

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

Isn't there a dead period or can coaches still call players? With this in mind, talking weekly would really rely on the recruit calling the coaches.  Also, does Terry Price talking to his uncle and mom mean what will Texas be willing to offer them?  Glad Auburn isn't involved.  Bama-Georgia-LSU-aggy is already one hell of an auction.   

[Fred Akers]There's always an uncle.[/Fred Akers]

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

A couple Myslinski CBs to Texas (7 confidence)

I'm so shocked that the Iowa and Maryland guys put theirs in before Roach.

Also that Iowa analyst is 100% on the year.

Oh, and obligatory:

Spoiler

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I'm with you here --- I saw the posting on Twitter and had to look up.. ugh.. No.. this our replacement for Brock at Center?

Not that James Brock is a particularly difficult guy to replace, but yeah he's the center take.

Dad is the Jaguars' strength coach and apparently family friends with Hand.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

In Myslinski's junior hudl he sure plays fast, low and when he locks on a defender he stays on.    James Brock tends to get stood up a lot and he does not move like Myslinski.    Maybe we get a better version of Russell Gaskamp instead of a maxed out Terell Cuney.    

I found his junior HUDL to be jarringly reminiscent of Jake Raulerson's OL film.

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

In Myslinski's junior hudl he sure plays fast, low and when he locks on a defender he stays on.    James Brock tends to get stood up a lot and he does not move like Myslinski.    Maybe we get a better version of Russell Gaskamp instead of a maxed out Terell Cuney.    

Thanks that helps - I guess my initial reaction was height related.. 

Just now, TexasBeta said:

Thanks that helps - I guess my initial reaction was height related.. 

Center's funny this year.

JBrock is a private school kid who got a colossal "my brother is fucking awesome so every school offered me" ratings bump.

Myslinski has some interesting offers, but his competition is so bad it's hard to judge him. And his dad is an NFL strength coach, how close to maxed out is he?

Ezra Oyetade-Dotson has every 9.95er drooling over his film, but he doesn't have a single Big XII offer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Center's funny this year.

JBrock is a private school kid who got a colossal "my brother is fucking awesome so every school offered me" ratings bump.

Myslinski has some interesting offers, but his competition is so bad it's hard to judge him. And his dad is an NFL strength coach, how close to maxed out is he?

Ezra Oyetade-Dotson has every 9.95er drooling over his film, but he doesn't have a single Big XII offer.

RE: Ezra Oyetade-Dotson.. I looked up the 247 by Position for OC, it is odd he has no real offers in Big XII or SEC, except Vandy.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Have you watched it?  It is some triggering shit.

All I see is a kid who brings his hard hat and lunch pail to the field with him every day.  Just goes out there and works hard.  Knows every position on the line and can make all of the calls - he like an OL coach out on the field.  Really looking forward to him being a part of this team and community.  Should really help our team GPA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1