Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I'm just going to focus on the fact that our most recent TE and OL take for this class were offered and heavily recruited by Iowa, who is probably the best school in the country at identifying and developing TEs and OL.*  

*While ignoring the underwhelming ratings, film, and offer list for both. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm just going to focus on the fact that our most recent TE and OL take for this class were offered and heavily recruited by Iowa, who is probably the best school in the country at identifying and developing TEs and OL.*  

tenor.gif?itemid=10816078

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Byrd doesn't like us at all at this point

I get the impression that no coaching staff really loves Byrd at this point either. I think everyone is pretty much waiting to see if he can beat out Early and then be as dominant as Early has been because it's entirely possible that Savion Byrd despite his camp showings and Soph highlights -- he may not be the best LT on his own high school team, and further he may only be the 3rd best OT on his high school team. 

There's probably a few different reasons that you see not one, but four or five schools all go hot/cold/hot/cold on an OL recruit. It could be the culture fit, it could be a myriad of possibilities but Occam's Razor tells me that coaches really want to see what he puts on the field his SR year. 

Also of lesser note - his trainer/mentor is the same cat that trained Courtland Ford and that recruitment was also all over the place, went hot/cold and featured very few Texas teams prominently and a lot of OOS schools. Also parallel Ford was highly ranked early, reached as high as .96 composite and finished as a composite .86. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And also ignoring raging racial issues at Iowa.

28 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

if we lose Myslinski because all of u keep crying about ezra on social media im going to go woo & choo 

you think that people who post here in the recruiting thread are the fucks who also tweet at recruits?

GIF by Jason Clarke

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I get the impression that no coaching staff really loves Byrd at this point either. I think everyone is pretty much waiting to see if he can beat out Early and then be as dominant as Early has been because it's entirely possible that Savion Byrd despite his camp showings and Soph highlights -- he may not be the best LT on his own high school team, and further he may only be the 3rd best OT on his high school team. 

There's probably a few different reasons that you see not one, but four or five schools all go hot/cold/hot/cold on an OL recruit. It could be the culture fit, it could be a myriad of possibilities but Occam's Razor tells me that coaches really want to see what he puts on the field his SR year. 

Also of lesser note - his trainer/mentor is the same cat that trained Courtland Ford and that recruitment was also all over the place, went hot/cold and featured very few Texas teams prominently and a lot of OOS schools. Also parallel Ford was highly ranked early, reached as high as .96 composite and finished as a composite .86. 

I’d honestly love to know why you keep repeating this.

If we are already down to taking Myslinski, I assure you we are not being picky about Byrd, we do not have that luxury. If he wanted in, he’d be in, he just doesn’t want in.

56 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’d honestly love to know why you keep repeating this.

If we are already down to taking Myslinski, I assure you we are not being picky about Byrd, we do not have that luxury. If he wanted in, he’d be in, he just doesn’t want in.

You know those guys play different positions, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

Piggybacking on this - still no tackle contingency offers out. Hand is supposed to be really obsessive about seeing kids play in person, but man, you'd think we'd have SOME backup plan offers out the door. He's following a lot of of the guys Wickline's been looking at at Baylor, but no offers.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This.

Piggybacking on this - still no tackle contingency offers out. Hand is supposed to be really obsessive about seeing kids play in person, but man, you'd think we'd have SOME backup plan offers out the door. He's following a lot of of the guys Wickline's been looking at at Baylor, but no offers.

You think Texas wants to see senior film on Cade, Lott, and Leyrer before offering?

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Obviously. Taking Myslinski in July is  a general sign of how bad OL recruiting is going. But also Connor has positional flexibility, back when this board thought we were landing errbody, the idea was that Connor could move inside. If we landed two big time tackles he could become a far superior interior take, but we didn’t land shit. And now we’re taking Myslinski.

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Obviously. Taking Myslinski in July is  a general sign of how bad OL recruiting is going. But also Connor has positional flexibility, back when this board thought we were landing errbody, the idea was that Connor could move inside. If we landed two big time tackles he could become a far superior interior take, but we didn’t land shit. And now we’re taking Myslinski.

Myslinski isn't a bad take compared with James.  I get it, we didn't land Tommy, but isn't Myslinski better on tape than James at C?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He's still projected inside, the way he's grown he's a fantastic guard prospect, and we're not sacrificing that.

We just need tackles.

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Can you point me to discussion about Connor as our Center?

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's still projected inside, the way he's grown he's a fantastic guard prospect, and we're not sacrificing that.

We just need tackles.

My original point was that we don’t have the luxury to be picky about Byrd, because yeah, we do need tackles.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can you point me to discussion about Connor as our Center?

He could play any of the interior spots. There are tackles and there are interior lineman that’s the only real distinction that matters in recruiting. Neither Kerstetter nor Ghirmai were listed as centers coming out of high school. 

9 hours ago, Thiefery said:

my pal in FTW is concerned about Bowman.. says he took off his Texas pics on IG..

I don't know whether he took anything off IG or not, BUT, Bowman is listening to OU.  His decision will come down to which staff sells him best on how they plan to use him (he wants an opportunity to play both sides of the ball).  One staff has told him he's only playing one side, the other staff is selling him on an opportunity for both.  There is a cause for concern, albeit a small one right now.

1 minute ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't disagree, but that's their pitch and he's listening.

Out of curiosity, how do you know?

Also, lol, yeah, much like Bama's "ignore all our interior OL takes, James is very important to us" sell to the Brockermeyers, you wonder how people fall for this shit.

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't know whether he took anything off IG or not, BUT, Bowman is listening to OU.  His decision will come down to which staff sells him best on how they plan to use him (he wants an opportunity to play both sides of the ball).  One staff has told him he's only playing one side, the other staff is selling him on an opportunity for both.  There is a cause for concern, albeit a small one right now.

If true, Tom needs to soften up his stance and point to how he let D'Shawn Jamison play WR his freshman season (different situation I know) and how he has used him as a KR as examples of him being flexible with how he uses players with Bowman's talent.

Who has ou actually played both ways under Riley?

Out of curiosity, how do you know?
Also, lol, yeah, much like Bama's "ignore all our interior OL takes, James is very important to us" sell to the Brockermeyers, you wonder how people fall for this shit.

Lots of times reasonable people fall for stupid shit because deep down they want to.