Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

He could play any of the interior spots. There are tackles and there are interior lineman that’s the only real distinction that matters in recruiting. Neither Kerstetter nor Ghirmai were listed as centers coming out of high school. 

Just to be clear.. the example you cited about there being tackles and interior linemen is Kerstetter, a guy who played tackle for three years and is now moving to the interior? 

9 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Trejan Bridges last year.  Not sure about any others.

if he is sold by a guy who had 7 catches last year and 8 tackles (5 solo, 3 assisted - 6 of them were on kickoffs) and who didn't play a snap in the Peach Bowl vs LSU not sure what we can do there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Says nothing. At all. 9.95. 

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny 2021 three-star offensive lineman Michael Myslinski is close to making a decision.

The nation's No. 12 center told 247Sports on Tuesday that he is planning on making a decision later this week, and that he is focused on three schools.

"I'm down to Iowa, Texas, and Michigan State," Myslinski said.

Myslinski has seen all three campuses in the past few months and was also considering Maryland, Florida State, and others.

The most recent 247Sports Crystal Ball for Myslinski was to Texas, but he Myslinski added that he is still working his way through the decision process.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Says nothing. At all. 9.95. 

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny 2021 three-star offensive lineman Michael Myslinski is close to making a decision.

The nation's No. 12 center told 247Sports on Tuesday that he is planning on making a decision later this week, and that he is focused on three schools.

"I'm down to Iowa, Texas, and Michigan State," Myslinski said.

Myslinski has seen all three campuses in the past few months and was also considering Maryland, Florida State, and others.

The most recent 247Sports Crystal Ball for Myslinski was to Texas, but he Myslinski added that he is still working his way through the decision process.

Iowa guy cut a deal to get the scoop in exchange for building up the suspense.

With Coe and Downs as their DT takes, I don't know that the Sooners have the numbers to take Burris (or Abiara) honestly.  @quigley may know, but I think with the transfers coming in that they might be up against it with 4 DL already committed and limited numbers vs. the 25 but several needs because of the attrition. 

Aggie already has Vaka, and essentially has Taleeq Robbins and Monkell Goodwine - they are actually in a really good spot for Tywone Malone as well and have a puncher's chance with Desmond Watson. The interesting thing is that with Crownover and Phillips aggy is also only able to take 23. 

so what I'm saying is that top 3 is really interesting to me. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

so what I'm saying is that top 3 is really interesting to me. 

Post-ACL, he's going to try to lock in a spot somewhere soon. Texas +1. 

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm thinking ou somehow makes him fit

There was some proffering that blOU took a step back. They want to see how he heals, I guess. He's also too big for their scheme unless they shade him at nose which is a bad fit. Hopefully that's being impressed upon him. 

@Fud Has LSU been in on Burris at all? With Jackson there and BR being more in line with the small town feel insiders are saying he wants, I'm surprised they aren't a factor. 

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Aggie already has Vaka, and essentially has Taleeq Robbins and Monkell Goodwine - they are actually in a really good spot for Tywone Malone as well and have a puncher's chance with Desmond Watson. The interesting thing is that with Crownover and Phillips aggy is also only able to take 23. 

It will be incredible if they don''t have room for Burris and their DL class was some variation of those names. At least a few of them are actually good but holy shit I never thought I would see a Texas school abandon recruiting in state kids like this.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Post-ACL, he's going to try to lock in a spot somewhere soon. Texas +1. 

There was some proffering that blOU took a step back. They want to see how he heals, I guess. He's also too big for their scheme unless they shade him at nose which is a bad fit. Hopefully that's being impressed upon him. 

@Fud Has LSU been in on Burris at all? With Jackson there and BR being more in line with the small town feel insiders are saying he wants, I'm surprised they aren't a factor. 

How does Burris compare to Jackson and our DE signees last year?

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

With Coe and Downs as their DT takes, I don't know that the Sooners have the numbers to take Burris (or Abiara) honestly.  @quigley may know, but I think with the transfers coming in that they might be up against it with 4 DL already committed and limited numbers vs. the 25 but several needs because of the attrition.

You guys have better knowledge of the OU numbers than I do, but I think TFB has said OU's taking ~ 23 total. OU should have room for 4 DL at this number.

Personally, I'd like OU to take only 9-10 on offense (1 QB and RB, 4 WR, 3 -4 OL) and take 13-14 on defense (5 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB).

1 minute ago, quigley said:

You guys have better knowledge of the OU numbers than I do, but I think TFB has said OU's taking ~ 23 total. OU should have room for 4 DL at this number.

Personally, I'd like OU to take only 9-10 on offense (1 QB and RB, 4 WR, 3 -4 OL) and take 13-14 on defense (5 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB).

Once Riley is done converting all the most athletic defenders into offensive players the numbers will even themselves out anyway.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That is an interesting Top 3, because it appears none of those schools is actually recruiting Burris like a priority.

per HammLite ::

No he has Texas in this group, we have been told by a couple people that A&M and Oklahoma are out in front. A&M is definitely still recruiting him and I was told he has a take for sure 

He was close to committing to Oklahoma at one point but slowed things down. That enabled A&M to work to get back in it

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Wait is this the kid that @golfclap (I believe) wanted to try out on the OL?

No. I love him at DT. He's a spread-killer. He and Jonathon Jones (Mizzzou commit) are both guys that I think fit the physical profile of Herman era takes. Very athletic, very sudden, big frame, lean with good balance/body control. The fact that Iwunnah is athletic enough to triple jump right at 40' as a 275 pound guys is mystifying. Freak. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, golfclap said:

No. I love him at DT. He's a spread-killer. He and Jonathon Jones (Mizzzou commit) are both guys that I think fit the physical profile of Herman era takes. Very athletic, very sudden, big frame, lean with good balance/body control. The fact that Iwunnah is athletic enough to triple jump right at 40' as a 275 pound guys is mystifying. Freak. 

Iwunnah seems like a guy that would have done well in the camps that got canceled and shot up the rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm guessing then Regis probably won't be coming to Austin

Looks like it's only us and aggy in serious contention there. See golfclaps post upthread, would be shocked if they took him over their bag in hand mercenaries. I think it's more of a reflection of confidence in Turner. 

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm guessing then Regis probably won't be coming to Austin

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Looks like it's only us and aggy in serious contention there. See golfclaps post upthread, would be shocked if they took him over their bag in hand mercenaries. I think it's more of a reflection of confidence in Turner. 

Yeah, Spiegelman has Turner going to Bama, so the Iwunnah pick makes sense given that context.