Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’m truly happy for any young person who’s worked hard enough to have put themselves in a position to get a free education and to be set-up for future success. Kudos!

But how in the world is this even a question? 
He literally has the best option available,  a “fall back”, and a freaking joke of a financial institution (I know I know, “We ain’t come here to play school”).

3 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I’m truly happy for any young person who’s worked hard enough to have put themselves in a position to get a free education and to be set-up for future success. Kudos!

He literally has the best option available,  a “fall back”, and a freaking joke of a financial institution (I know I know, “We ain’t come here to play school”).

You realize he may not in fact have the option of selecting each of those institutions?

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's the DT that triple jumps.  Wheaton's teammate.

Spiegelman seems like he throws a bunch of picks out and sees what happens though.  He has Bama' for Turner, and already some 2023 DL to aggy.

Spiegelman interviewed and talked to Wheaton a couple days ago. I would be interested to see where he thinks Wheaton is headed. Reading between the lines based on some of his comments, I think Spielgman feels like Wheaton is trending Texas. 

Spiegelman might have some intel coming out of Lakeview Centennial. 

I know they work at different sites but Roach and Spiegelman are buddies. That's my guess where the optimism from Roach started. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You realize he may not in fact have the option of selecting each of those institutions?

Honestly, no it hadn’t. I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the kid was talented enough to have garnered said offers.  
At any rate, I do wish him much luck.

4 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Honestly, no it hadn’t. I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the kid was talented enough to have garnered said offers.  
At any rate, I do wish him much luck.

lots of offers go out to many kids.. however committable offers are something else.. then the school still needs to want you before saying yes. Dirty game man

51 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Sooner fanboy Drumm on Burris

I don’t know that he will be a take when time comes for a commitment. Something I have to look into before updating.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I'm guessing then Regis probably won't be coming to Austin

Why wouldn't he?  Turner's a huge question mark and Iwunnah would be the only Interior DL in a 4 man front.  We should absolutely be looking to take 2 IDL and waiting on Turner until late would be a mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

with the numbers we have now, are Turner, Ike and Regis all three still takes?

I think Texas is more than fine on numbers (I still think Texas could go 28/29 depending on EEs) and I'd take all three or any combination of them. They all really bring something different as it is, Iwunnah and Regis are both very disruptive guys in very different ways with opposite body types. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I think Texas is more than fine on numbers (I still think Texas could go 28/29 depending on EEs) and I'd take all three or any combination of them. They all really bring something different as it is, Iwunnah and Regis are both very disruptive guys in very different ways with opposite body types. 

Could take 29 right now, but that drops to 28 if we land Fields 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

I naturally only trust Texas CB's but rivals threw two picks for Alabama this morning for Turner

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/shemar-turner-196438

Carl vs the bama mods?

also are we going to be pissed at herman, excuse me more pissed, if myslinski goes elsewhere?

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

FWIW, Roach just said he spoke to a source that said they think it's Texas and aggy at the top for Turner.

This would be a welcome development. Every Turner interview I've read sounds like he's fully bought into the SEC > everything else mythos.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

unless I'm missing something, it's mostly just a bunch of Twitter and Instagram pictures

spacer.png

Well, that is how marketing works. The idea is we're helping our best players develop marketable identities, like "Call In" Johnson or Sterns as the Wolf of DKR. Plus tie-ins with guys like McConaghey to launch them into the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well, that is how marketing works. The idea is we're helping our best players develop marketable identities, like "Call In" Johnson or Sterns as the Wolf of DKR. Plus tie-ins with guys like McConaghey to launch them into the NFL.

What're you doing trying to explain the obvious to Eeyore?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

(Justin Wells) Recruiting Notebook: Johnson Jr., Hullaby, Leyrer, Lengyel

By: Justin and Ian

This week we start in Virginia with a speedster on Herman's speed dial, then head back to the Lone Star state for a sibling with UT roots, and finish with a pair of DFW offensive linemen with Texas on their minds. Get some Recruiting Notebook.

Malcolm Johnson Jr, St. Stephens & St. Agnes (VA) (2021)

How he fits at Texas: Johnson is a good reflection of the "every man a deep threat" philosophy that Mike Yurcich is bringing to the Texas offense. The Longhorns want receivers that can win over the top and Johnson, with his 10.50 100m speed, is very good at that. He'd translate very easily to the slot. In Virginia ball he often takes an inside release and still gets back outside because he's so much faster than everyone else. He'll need to refine his game quite a bit at Texas to play outside but could have a pretty quick impact in the slot simply because he has such elite speed. He's probably a laser 4.4 40 guy. - @Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths - Adequate height with a well-distributed build. Strong upper body with good use of hands to fight the press. Has great first-steps off the line and initial footwork looks polished. Sells his routes very well and shows some good lower body explosion in short areas and breaks. Track times are excellent although his Opening 40 time is only 4.6. Stacks his defender and holds his position not allowing an easy re-route. Shows good ball awareness and judges the flight well. Judges poorly thrown balls well. Will high point the ball effectively. Catches with soft hands away from his body. Secures the ball routinely after the catch. Can house it from anywhere in the open field. Deceiving speed on film as he doesn’t look to be moving fast but defenders can’t get a hand on him. Measured shuttle is good and lower body explosiveness excellent.

Areas for Improvement / Concern - Not clear that he’s going to be much taller than 6’1” which may limit him to Z or H. Feet stay low to the ground and might run into some trouble in traffic. For all his athleticism, his game is still straight speed. Measured agility seems good but decelerates on game film with his cuts. Routes on film don’t demonstrate the whole route tree. Run blocking is willing but needs work.

How this affects Texas: Texas is desperate for speed at wideout in 2021. Tom Herman and Andre Coleman have made a credible push for the stinky fast, four-star slot receiver. Texas needs to get him to campus to make this real, and that's unlikely anytime soon. With JJ Henry and Jaden Alexis clearly stronger options, allocating resources in that direction seem prudent today. - @Justin Wells

Landon Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview (2022)

How he fits at Texas: Hullaby's high school uses him as their eraser defensive back. He seems to align wherever they most badly need speed in a given week, be it at safety or corner. While he has some nice snaps in man coverage on film, he really flashes when he's playing on the hash marks, watching routes develop with his head on a swivel, and then closing on the ball. His ability to diagnose and then close with real speed and violent intentions make him an ideal fit as a quarters safety. The ability to play some man and cover ground might allow him to play to the wider spaces in the field. - IB

Coach says: Strengths- Good size and build for the position. Versatile showing film at CB, nickel and quarters safety. Shows press man and zone in highlights. I like him in man. Very high football IQ evident on game film. Very instinctive player who diagnoses the play quickly and gets to the ball carrier in a hurry. Understands the route combinations and where to be. Will often make the sure play that’s needed than the riskier highlight play. An enthusiastic tackler who is very willing in run support. Uses the boundary well and gets great position on the receiver. Hips appear fairly fluid and will stay in phase most of the time. Has good recovery speed.

Areas for Improvement / Concern: Not much on film to scout his ball skills. Will frequently be in a press position and doesn’t lay a hand on the receiver (clearly a coaching point). Will peek a bit so eye-discipline could be a concern.

How this affects Texas: After taking big brother, Jaden, in the 2020 class, Landon might actually have more upside. Like his sibling, he's also versatile on both sides of the ball. While safety is where he excels, I think little Hullaby might be an athlete take next cycle. If you're looking for UT's first pledge of 2022, he'd be my wild guess. - JW

Jack Leyrer, Highland Park (2021)

How he fits at Texas: One of Donald Hawkins' pupils out of DFW, Leyrer is a legitimately big man at 6-foot-6 or so. He's playing left tackle for the spread-proficient Highland Park offense. He moves well in space and executes some reach blocks on film, the pass protection sets are solid as well. With his overall athleticism and reach, there's a chance he could grow into a Texas-caliber left tackle in time and if not then his talent would be valuable at right tackle. He's getting high level development now and could become a 6-foot-7, 320-pound technician after multiple years of lifting and coaching at Texas. It's not clear if Leyrer has elite athleticism but there's enough there, when combined with this frame, to make him a worthy project at tackle. Leyrer also executes some nice pulls on film and plays with good pad level, which would translate well to tackle but suggest his height wouldn't limit him at guard either.- IB

Coach says: Strengths - Ideal height for the tackle position. Good tone in the mid-section. Looks balanced and flexible in his stance. Quick to fire out and stays low in his run blocks. Shows agile feet with good reach and down blocks on film. Shows some zone ability and has a few great pulls on film. Gets to the second level easily. Lots of downfield highlights. Good, quick hand placement. Good upper body strength. Keeps feet moving on contact. Pass set looks natural and has good posture on his post and kick steps. Has good reaction to the bull rush, anchors well and shows at least some coaching in counter moves. Redirects the outside and carries it past the arc. Good highlights holding his own against some big and fast dudes.

Areas for Improvement / Concern - Lower body strength not consistently transferred and will tend to rely too much on the upper body. Won’t consistently keep defender engaged and will lose control at times.

How this affects Texas: When discussing offensive line recruiting in the 2021 cycle, I lean on the side of caution. But like Lakeview Centennial's Ezra Oyetade, one of the better o-line prospects in-state is the Highland Park product and he doesn't hold a UT offer. This class needs offensive tackles like Charlie Strong needed quarterbacks when he arrived in Austin. Leyrer and Herb Hand have connected and an offer would probably help tremendously, but I think Texas is holding out for the higher-rated guys, like Savion Byrd, and the Brockermeyers. I'm not sure that's the best avenue, but it's par for this cycle. - JW

Ryan Lengyel, Dallas Jesuit (2021)

How he fits at Texas: Lengyel has some real size and quickness to him but he's at his best on a path, when he has to move laterally or change direction in space then some of his limitations become evident. He's playing left tackle at Dallas Jesuit but he's a guard at Texas. There's not quite enough athleticism or length to project him to be able to hold up on the edge against Big 12 pass-rushers. His size and quickness does make a good fit for the inside zone scheme and there's an increasing need for guards to be able to absorb a pass rush with size and mass so converting big, physical high school tackles is a good plan there as well. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Solidly built player with long arms. Toned midsection. Looks like he’s down for violence. Good upper body strength.

Areas for Improvement / Concern - A bit of a waist-bender. Lower body flexibility looks limited. Gets upright quickly. Narrow based and heavy footed. Slow to get into his pass set and may struggle with speed. Feet will stop at times on contact. Looks like a guard trying to play tackle. Doesn’t use his long arms nearly enough and will lead with his shoulders. Relies too much on winning the upper body battle and this may reflect limitations in establishing a wider or more athletic base. Gets off balance easily and falls off blocks. Struggles in space and opponent film shows his limitations in this regard. Doesn’t consistently show the athleticism to get to the second level.

How this affects Texas: Another o-lineman with potential, but probably in the second tier of prospects in Texas for this class. Lengyel offers upside at guard or tackle. At 6-foot-5, 280, he's got the feet and frame to add mass with college-level strength and conditioning. He speaks regularly with Herb Hand and, a lot like Leyrer, a UT verbal invitation would help tremendously. - JW

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

unless I'm missing something, it's mostly just a bunch of Twitter and Instagram pictures

I know fuckall about marketing but I know that if a college player is going to get paid for the use of their name, image and likeness -- and that Matthew McConaughey is likely going to put you as a Texas player in touch with his 2.6M followers on twitter and almost 4M on Insta, I'd be quite interested as a recruit (or any human that likes money). Same with the stuff they've done with KD and the Nike and KD marketing there. If Texas Football is going to ensure that there are various ways (including famous alumnus/fans/former players) that they are going to make sure that my name, image and likeness are not only promoted on several platforms but from there developed as a personal brand ... 

jerry maguire money GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I know fuckall about marketing but I know that if a college player is going to get paid for the use of their name, image and likeness -- and that Matthew McConaughey is likely going to put you as a Texas player in touch with his 2.6M followers on twitter and almost 4M on Insta, I'd be quite interested as a recruit (or any human that likes money). Same with the stuff they've done with KD and the Nike and KD marketing there. If Texas Football is going to ensure that there are various ways (including famous alumnus/fans/former players) that they are going to make sure that my name, image and likeness are not only promoted on several platforms but from there developed as a personal brand ... 

jerry maguire money GIF

as a current advertising/business major, this is all true. There are probably zero other schools that could provide a better base and platform than we can for our student athletes. Our department is hopping on all of this early and already showing off which I love, and if they keep trending in this direction, no one should be able to catch up. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

jerry maguire money GIF

matthew bingo GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dang, wanted to get those Cajuns.  Welp.

Ehhh.  So aggy needs to add 2 more conference foes out of: 

Won't be Georgia since they just played.  If it's Florida, that's a loss.  The other 3 are warm piss.  The SEC has 5 good teams (Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU, Auburn) and 9 mediocre ones.

EAST

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L (CONF) HI PASS HI RUSH HI REC
Fri, Sep 18 CANCELED
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
Sat, Sep 5 TBD   Tickets as low as $18 
Sat, Sep 12 TBD   Tickets as low as $19 
Sat, Sep 26 TBD   Tickets as low as $110 
Sat, Oct 3 TBD   Tickets as low as $44 
Sat, Oct 10 TBD   Tickets as low as $22 
Sat, Oct 17 TBD   Tickets as low as $146 
Sat, Oct 24 TBD   Tickets as low as $51 
Sat, Nov 7 TBD   Tickets as low as $60 
Sat, Nov 14 TBD   Tickets as low as $51 
Sat, Nov 21 TBD   Tickets as low as $89 
Sat, Nov 28
vsLSULSU
TBD   Tickets as low as $89 

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Dang, wanted to get those Cajuns.  Welp.

Ehhh.  So aggy needs to add 2 more conference foes out of: 

Won't be Georgia since they just played.  If it's Florida, that's a loss.  The other 3 are warm piss.  The SEC has 5 good teams (Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU, Auburn) and 9 mediocre ones.

EAST

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L (CONF) HI PASS HI RUSH HI REC
Fri, Sep 18 CANCELED
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
Sat, Sep 5 TBD   Tickets as low as $18 
Sat, Sep 12 TBD   Tickets as low as $19 
Sat, Sep 26 TBD   Tickets as low as $110 
Sat, Oct 3 TBD   Tickets as low as $44 
Sat, Oct 10 TBD   Tickets as low as $22 
Sat, Oct 17 TBD   Tickets as low as $146 
Sat, Oct 24 TBD   Tickets as low as $51 
Sat, Nov 7 TBD   Tickets as low as $60 
Sat, Nov 14 TBD   Tickets as low as $51 
Sat, Nov 21 TBD   Tickets as low as $89 
Sat, Nov 28
vsLSULSU
TBD   Tickets as low as $89 

Kentucky should be good. Lots of returning production, good defense, and a very good OL. 

I would definitely take Kentucky to beat aggy. Especially if it's a road game. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kentucky should be good. Lots of returning production, good defense, and a very good OL. 

I would definitely take Kentucky to beat aggy. Especially if it's a road game. 

I'll trust you but they lost to Tenn, S.Car and Miss St. last year.  Barely beat Ark.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

What're you doing trying to explain the obvious to Eeyore?

Right--wanna know what their Instagram/social media pages don't have?  The University of Texas promoting them.  Where the hell is the negative in that?  

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I'll trust you but they lost to Tenn, S.Car and Miss St. last year.  Barely beat Ark.

True, but they went 8-5 with a lot of returning production. Meaning they should improve. 

It took a miracle for aggy to beat Kentucky in OT just 2 years ago. In College Station. Kentucky is definitely better than any team they were going to play in non-conference. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scholz said:

The Kentucky/Aggy game two seasons ago was such a beating to watch. Two shitty unimaginative offenses led by coaches who were more than comfortable playing not to lose all game. 14-14 at the end of regulation I think. Aggies claimed the huge SEC SEC victory in OT

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The Kentucky/Aggy game two seasons ago was such a beating to watch. Two shitty unimaginative offenses led by coaches who were more than comfortable playing not to lose all game. 14-14 at the end of regulation I think. Aggies claimed the huge SEC SEC victory in OT

That '18 Kentucky team was hilarious to watch because they were good everywhere but also had one of the worst college QBs I've ever seen. I think Terry Wilson improved some in '19 but he was just dreadful in '18. 

That '18 Kentucky team would have gone 11-2 or 12-1 with an average QB. 

Kentucky has arguably the top OL in the country next year so that should help with the QB problems. https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/2/21/21147100/kentucky-football-offensive-linemen-sec-rankings

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1