Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we took Burris before turner decides, does that mean we either know turner said no or weren’t willing to wait and risk it?  Or do we take him too?

I'm sure Giles would push for it if he wants to come but I'd want Turner/Ike/Regis before Burris, even pre-injury. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

The Kentucky/Aggy game two seasons ago was such a beating to watch. Two shitty unimaginative offenses led by coaches who were more than comfortable playing not to lose all game. 14-14 at the end of regulation I think. Aggies claimed the huge SEC SEC victory in OT

Death row television.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Does it really though? Weren't we all excited to see Adimora get more burn at Spur?

Adimora will play. A lot. It was clear by the end of last season that he needed to be on the field more - and with the work that Adimora has clearly put in, I expect he's basically taking that spot. 

Cook will provide multi-positional depth and package flexibility. He's going to be passed by the younger guys and it's not an if but when, and the when is probably here and he knows it , hence the frustration and the portal. He's still a younger guy and can really create a great role for himself at Texas as a Jack-of-all-trades DB. Being the next guy off the bench at 3-4 spots in the backfield will assure a ton of playing time. Long term, he's not going to be able to beat out guys like Watson, Adimora, and Crawford because they are NFL guys imo.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Adimora will play. A lot. It was clear by the end of last season that he needed to be on the field more - and with the work that Adimora has clearly put in, I expect he's basically taking that spot. 

Cook will provide multi-positional depth and package flexibility. He's going to be passed by the younger guys and it's not an if but when, and the when is probably here and he knows it , hence the frustration and the portal. He's still a younger guy and can really create a great role for himself at Texas as a Jack-of-all-trades DB. Being the next guy off the bench at 3-4 spots in the backfield will assure a ton of playing time. Long term, he's not going to be able to beat out guys like Watson, Adimora, and Crawford because they are NFL guys imo.  

If we somehow lose Green and Jamison after the season, that is probably your 3 starters at CB/NB next season.

Edited by HtownHorn

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Watson starts taking time from Green this year.  Even though their recruiting rankings suggest the opposite, Watson is the freakier athlete.   Much like how Jamison being lower rated than Green and Cook is curious in hindsight. 

Green is a pretty awesome athlete in his own right who played QB in high school then immediately got thrown into the mix as a CB. Dude should flourish with competent coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Watson starts taking time from Green this year.  Even though their recruiting rankings suggest the opposite, Watson is the freakier athlete.   Much like how Jamison being lower rated than Green and Cook is curious in hindsight. 

Except it’s really not. Green is a freak and he has all the tools to be a lockdown corner if he receives good coaching.  He should be the highest rated of the three.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except it’s really not. Green is a freak and he has all the tools to be a lockdown corner if he receives good coaching.  He should be the highest rated of the three.

We are about to be salty, Tom is going to pull this off.

• Hook 'Em 4

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

(Wheaton, Ikechekuwhunksue, Regis, Turner, Lengyel)

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

MikeRoach

—I caught up with a different near Camar Wheaton than the one I spoke to a few nights ago. Despite rumors of the five-star running back shutting things down soon, I was told that Wheaton is still narrowing things down and not in any sort of hurry to end the process. “Camar is a different cat,” the source said. “He’ll commit when he’s ready and on nobody else’s timetable.” This source didn’t offer much different than I reported on Monday night. The biggest thing I got is more confirmation that this race really seems to be coming down to Texas and Oklahoma.

—Texas is also still in contact with Wheaton’s teammate Ikechukwu Iwunnah. I’m told Iwunnah loves what he’s hearing from Mark Hagen and really just wants to see the campus. With visits up in the air this fall, it’s likely that Iwunnah will need to take a self-guided visit if he wants to see what the campus has to offer. The staff is doing what they can in the way of virtual tours, but nothing beats seeing things in person.

—I checked in on La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis as well. It sounds like this race could come down to Texas and Texas A&M, but information from Regis is tough to come by. He’s pretty quiet, and I’m told he’s tough for even college coaches to reach at times. From what I can tell, Texas is very serious about Regis while he appears to be one of several options for the Aggies. I’m told the communication with Texas has been promising, but there’s no overwhelming sense of confidence.

—I spoke to a source near Desoto defensive end Shemar Turner. There isn’t much new to report at this time, and I get the sense Turner is starting to get tired of being asked about it by media. The source I spoke with told me that if they had to handicap things, Texas and Texas A&M would be at the top with Alabama just behind.

—Last week I discussed a new offensive line target in Dallas Jesuit's Ryan Lengyel. I checked in again with Lengyel this week to see how things are going and he said he's had a lot of contact with Texas lately. Lengyel will be the next prospect to take part in a self-guided visit. He will make the trip to Austin this weekend to see the campus and the city.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has Jack Leyrer visited Texas? Already been mentioned, but really slim pickings on OTs. Ryan Lengyel doesn't seem like a viable option. Probably only one more for the interior if Myslinski commits (Conner already committed, unless somehow he gets shifted to tackle, highly doubt it). 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

(Wheaton, Ikechekuwhunksue, Regis, Turner, Lengyel)

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

MikeRoach

—I caught up with a different near Camar Wheaton than the one I spoke to a few nights ago. Despite rumors of the five-star running back shutting things down soon, I was told that Wheaton is still narrowing things down and not in any sort of hurry to end the process. “Camar is a different cat,” the source said. “He’ll commit when he’s ready and on nobody else’s timetable.” This source didn’t offer much different than I reported on Monday night. The biggest thing I got is more confirmation that this race really seems to be coming down to Texas and Oklahoma.

—Texas is also still in contact with Wheaton’s teammate Ikechukwu Iwunnah. I’m told Iwunnah loves what he’s hearing from Mark Hagen and really just wants to see the campus. With visits up in the air this fall, it’s likely that Iwunnah will need to take a self-guided visit if he wants to see what the campus has to offer. The staff is doing what they can in the way of virtual tours, but nothing beats seeing things in person.

—I checked in on La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis as well. It sounds like this race could come down to Texas and Texas A&M, but information from Regis is tough to come by. He’s pretty quiet, and I’m told he’s tough for even college coaches to reach at times. From what I can tell, Texas is very serious about Regis while he appears to be one of several options for the Aggies. I’m told the communication with Texas has been promising, but there’s no overwhelming sense of confidence.

—I spoke to a source near Desoto defensive end Shemar Turner. There isn’t much new to report at this time, and I get the sense Turner is starting to get tired of being asked about it by media. The source I spoke with told me that if they had to handicap things, Texas and Texas A&M would be at the top with Alabama just behind.

—Last week I discussed a new offensive line target in Dallas Jesuit's Ryan Lengyel. I checked in again with Lengyel this week to see how things are going and he said he's had a lot of contact with Texas lately. Lengyel will be the next prospect to take part in a self-guided visit. He will make the trip to Austin this weekend to see the campus and the city.

Give me Ike, Regis and Shemar out of those 5 updates and I'll be a happy fan.

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

Give me Ike, Regis and Shemar out of those 5 updates and I'll be a happy fan.

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country.  I think we land Turner and will probably take one of Ike and Regis.  

Pair those guys with Collins and Broughton from last year with an elite pass rusher in Dorbah coming from the LB spot.... we're looking at a lot of sacks in the future.  

Props to Herman for upgrading this position to the likes of Bama, LSU, Clemson.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country.  I think we land Turner and will probably take one of Ike and Regis.  

Pair those guys with Collins and Broughton from last year with an elite pass rusher in Dorbah coming from the LB spot.... we're looking at a lot of sacks in the future.  

That would bring us back to the good old days of dominant Texas d-lines. DBs are solid too. Really only LBs are lacking in star power (like Malik), but the guys we are getting seem to have good measurables.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That would bring us back to the good old days of dominant Texas d-lines. DBs are solid too. Really only LBs are lacking in star power (like Malik), but the guys we are getting seem to have good measurables.

Even Mack's best team didn't have great LBs, as Johnson graduated in 2004.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Are you kidding me??  EVERYONE knows to complete the best DL class in the country you need someone from MD, NJ, ME, DE---- @jordanaggie, probably.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I wouldn’t say that would be #1 in the country, and there’s still a bit of a drop off from the three schools you listed and tOSU, but we’re quickly approaching elite status on the DL, and may get there by the end of the season, which is amazing considering how bad we’ve been on the DL lately.

A school like Texas should always be stacked on the DL and credit for Herman returning us to that point. In general, I don’t care about 3-4 vs. 4-3, but a school with the recruiting advantages Texas has is probably best suited for a 4-3, since we can (and are) get the elite DL needed to run it at a high level. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I can see Burris at aggy and Turner at Texas when it's all said and done.  Aggy will go all in with the "Come play in the SEC" pitch for Turner.

I don't see it with Burris.  Even before his injury, his tape looks okay to me.  I think Turner has NFL potential with proper development.  I think Burris has a lower ceiling... just my opinion.  Even if we don't get Turner, I'd be okay with slow playing Burris.  Don't forget, he plays on the same line as Jackson.  I'm not sure what his production would look like if he didn't have a 5 star DL playing next to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't see it with Burris.  Even before his injury, his tape looks okay to me.  I think Turner has NFL potential with proper development.  I think Burris has a lower ceiling... just my opinion.  Even if we don't get Turner, I'd be okay with slow playing Burris.  Don't forget, he plays on the same line as Jackson.  I'm not sure what his production would look like if he didn't have a 5 star DL playing next to him.

Jackson tore his ACL his sophomore year and missed half the season. I'm sure there is probably plenty of footage out there in Burris's sophomore HUDL.

Brian Dohn the east coast 247 guy has put in a CB for Monkell Goodwine to Alabama. Interesting to us because Shemar Turner --- Bama has 16 total commits and 3 on the DL + Kendrick Blackshire who is going to be on the DL. I guess we could see Bama process someone but none of their current commits outside of perhaps Blackshire (due to not having a clear position) seem like the kind of guys you'd process. 

It will make numbers interesting for them with Turner because they are still very strongly in it for Maason Smith, Tyleik Williams, Korey Foreman (USC is a house of cards) and J.T. Tuimoloau. They've also really turned up the heat on OU legacy Shambre Jackson - they have gone to speaking with him every day and the dreaded Nick Saban Facetime meetings.  It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brian Dohn the east coast 247 guy has put in a CB for Monkell Goodwine to Alabama. Interesting to us because Shemar Turner --- Bama has 16 total commits and 3 on the DL + Kendrick Blackshire who is going to be on the DL. I guess we could see Bama process someone but none of their current commits outside of perhaps Blackshire (due to not having a clear position) seem like the kind of guys you'd process. 

It will make numbers interesting for them with Turner because they are still very strongly in it for Maason Smith, Tyleik Williams, Korey Foreman (USC is a house of cards) and J.T. Tuimoloau. They've also really turned up the heat on OU legacy Shambre Jackson - they have gone to speaking with him every day and the dreaded Nick Saban Facetime meetings.  It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

If he hadn't gotten himself banned, it would have been fun to take a dump on AtlFan's face about Jackson after all the shit he was talking.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

A school like Texas should always be stacked on the DL and credit for Herman returning us to that point. In general, I don’t care about 3-4 vs. 4-3, but a school with the recruiting advantages Texas has is probably best suited for a 4-3, since we can (and are) get the elite DL needed to run it at a high level. 

spacer.png

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I won’t be satisfied with just Ike and Turner, we need Tina too.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3