Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

LSU crushed both blOU and A&M last season. Had we been able to accomplish what they couldn't and defeat LSU, it would have given us a lot more recruiting ammo to use against them for this cycle. Like you said though, there's no way to prove it.

Again, that wouldn’t mean shit if the rest of our record stayed the same. Especially being an early season game.

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

look fucc boi if youre going to throw shade at carl every time you post after all the accurate info he has posted carl will take his info & feed it to fucc boi ej instead of posting it here

too many glizzy suckers shading carl for no reason

carl has never once lied to you 

& yes the video was completed 

carl is gettin' upset!

Reduce Stress by Talking To Yourself in the Third Person - PureWow

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Roach, on Myslinski.

😐

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.62688b4dc4d42633e5bcb0d487096aae.png

Mysinski is reminding me of Swingers where Ron Livingston spends the movie bitching about having to take a job at Disneyland playing Goofy until he finds out he didn't get the part. 

"They went with someone who had more theme park experience. I'd kill for that job."

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Again, that wouldn’t mean shit if the rest of our record stayed the same. Especially being an early season game.

I'm thinking that beating the national champion that then went on to blow out every other team they played would have impacted both our final ranking and our recruiting.

25 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm thinking that beating the national champion that then went on to blow out every other team they played would have impacted both our final ranking and our recruiting.

Against OU who then hypothetically went on to still beat us and win the Big 12? Against A&M who already looked like dog shit against them compared to us? Doubtful. That said winning would have been pretty cool yea.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Would beating LSU last year have been better than not beating them? Of course.

Did satya INSTANTLY jump to the worst possible spin on a pretty neutral* turn of events for 2020 Texas football? Also yes.

*for the team, not the fan experience 

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Would beating LSU last year have been better than not beating them? Of course.

Did satya INSTANTLY jump to the worst possible spin on a pretty neutral turn of events for 2020 Texas football? Also yes.

Nah dude. We have no chance of turning the tide in recruiting this year now. Undefeated season means fuck all if we don’t play LSU. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nah dude. We have no chance of turning the tide in recruiting this year now. Undefeated season means fuck all if we don’t play LSU. 

There’s too much stupid here to waste my time breaking it all down. In short, you’re wrong, woefully wrong, go take a lap and sit down and dutch rudder with Satya. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well it was pretty clearly sarcastic...

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

spacer.png

well, clearly not to me. And I’ve barely been drinking. Sorry Hank. Imma go take a lap and Not DR Satya. I will , however, repeat “Dont be a fucking rock stupid MarkStanco” in the mirror 100 times, however. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

When he's not wetting himself, he's actually a good poster. He uses his 247 account for good and he generally knows his shit (you're not getting Football Board-level gibbering FIRE EVERYONE taeks), which gives the board someone not brain damaged to use as a backboard for arguments.

Also in his vanishingly rare moments of optimism he brings quality Bollywood gifs to the board, which are a personal inspiration in terms of borderline insane levels of raw overacted emotion.

I agree, but shh, he was almost there 

• Haha 1

(Eric Nahlin) Thursday Morning Q&A: 7/30/20

A CB from Va Tech announced yesterday that he was going to sit out the season and declare for the 2021 draft next Spring. Do you see this happening more often this season due to Covid concerns and have you heard any rumblings of Texas players leaning towards sitting out the season?

It will probably become a bit more common but I can’t see that affecting Texas. The NFL talent on the roster needs a year of quality tape as much as anyone. The best NFL draftable player on the roster - Joe Ossai - would crawl across glass to play.

Are players being influenced by NFL player decisions to sit out the season? Think we still have a season?

There’s going to be a season, but I’m not sure when exactly it will kick off. I don’t know what every player’s thoughts are on the subject. If you have a kid who isn’t really in love with the game, he could maybe use the Covid “out“ card. Or maybe they’re genuinely fearful of getting Covid and it having lasting impacts. I haven’t heard of anyone not wanting to play as of yet.

How firm is Billy Bowman's commitment to UT? Is OU really making any inroads in getting him to flip that commitment?

This kid loves Texas. His family loves Texas. His HC loves Texas.

Would be interested to hear what WR recruits you think will sign for the 21 class?

Casey Cain, Ketron Jackson, Jaden Alexis, and JJ Henry seem like the best case realistic class. If it’s a three-man class then we might see some subtraction.

Any sense from those connected on how confident the staff feels about the team?

Definitely some uncertainty given the coaching turnover. They don’t exactly know how they’ll stack up with other programs since it has been such an unconventional offseason. They know they’re pretty loaded with talent, though. I’ve heard lots of positives on that front.

Pure speculation question. What affect if any do you think 2020 season formats (Conference only, conference plus 1 or full slate) have on potential conference realignment and tv contracts in the not so distant future?

Tin foil hat: If it has any affect, I think it’ll be a subtle push towards REALIGNMENT and the removal of the NCAA.

I think my breakout player is going to be Bijan. I think Yurcich finds a way to get him involved early in passing game as well. Thoughts?

Breakouts usually happen after a break-in year. This is Bijan’s break-in year.

What's the current projection on who UT winds up with as OL recruits in this class?

There isn’t one. We’ve been messaging the board about the OL class issues for a while.

Would the cancellation of the LSU game eliminate the possibility of an Earle of Jackson flip, or only negatively impact? Why doesn't Ezra have significant P5 offers? Even non-commitable ones. Who from this class ends up at spur?

I think that would significantly hurt those chances but I’m thinking JJ Henry is much more likely for the class than JoJo Earle. Would still have a slight chance for Landon, imo. He wasn’t able to be evaluated in person during the spring. Bowman is the obvious answer but I want to see with my own eyes how the position is deployed.

Thoughts on who is the clubhouse leader for camar Wheaton today. Stanley apparently has a good relationship with him....

I think LJ Johnson is more likely to end up in the class as of now. Wheaton is a harder read for me. I could see any of OU, UT, or even a late emerging team from the field. Likeliest scenario is Wheaton to OU, LJ to UT, imo. But Wheaton is a bit of a wildcard. It isn’t impossible he could jump in before LJ made a decision. LJ wants to wait.

Does there appear to be enough talent and depth in the OL that's on campus and in the pipeline to get UT through the swing and miss on the Brocks and other OL talent this recruiting year?

Tyler Johnson, Junior Angilau, and Christian Jones definitely would soften the blow. BUT... that means racking up in 2022 starting with Kelvin Banks, Devon Campbell and Kam Dewberry.

Assuming UT keeps all the DB commitments made so far, how many more DB commits will the Horns take, and from who? Does Anthony Cook coming back affect who might commit at DB?

One more safety. Still trying for Mukuba but he’s unlikely as of this writing. One more corner if he’s best player available. Cook doesn’t affect recruiting.

Losing Mukuba given the location, his friends on the team, and Covid, seems really odd.

If he doesn’t visit Clemson, Texas looks much better.

You previously mentioned that they were overly diligent on their OL offers. Going back and looking at the OL offers this year I am struck by how many seemed to be "me too" offers. 16 offers. 5 of those seemed to be OOS "me too" offers. Six in-state have committed elsewhere. 9/16 offers have committed elsewhere. Foster and Byrd both seem like longshots at this point. So, offers that we have a realistic chance with are . . . Myslinski and Cade, I guess?? Am I missing someone(s)? Are a slew of new offers about to go out? Is scholarship space that tight? Is there any sense of urgency on OL recruiting or are they just devoting attention to flips because they aren't wild about the remaining prospects? Generally, WTF? Anything new you can add over what you have already told us?

Cade is a last ditch guy. They’ll work on Foster through the whistle but aren’t set on taking an interior guy beyond him. They want tackles and will stay on Byrd and the Brockermeyers. I can’t think of anything new I haven’t been writing for a while. The dumbest freaking saying on Earth is ‘it is what it is’ but that’s basically where I’m at right now.

Is Shemar Turner leaning somewhere?

I think he’s pretty open. The season matters. Texas has the greatest variability — could finish 5th, could run away with it, imo.

When will we get our first '22 commit? I want Ewers, but I Dasan is my #2. I assume neither is likely any time soon.

Rona has pushed timeframes back. I feel confident Ewers would be committed somewhere by now if he was allowed to take visits. Obviously that hasn’t happened. No way to answer your question. There’s only a handful of guys they’d truly want right now.

Keondre Coburn has a great year, you assume, then does he go to the draft early?

Depends on how big. I don’t see him as a guy who will go just to go. Some guys have to be sold on the NFL being a better option. Others want to go if they’re draftable. Coburn is more of the former.

Outside of (presumably) Ezra who would you offer today? Favorite under the radar prospect? If Texas wins big this year which recruits are your first phone calls and the ones you’re eyeing most closely for a flip?

Ezra. Lyrik Rawls. Brockermeyers and Landon Jackson.

SIAP, but what do you think the impact of a shortened season will have on the 4-game redshirt rule?

Really hard to know that today.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lol he dodged the only substantive OL question - "why doesn't Ezra have any real P5 offers, even non-commitable ones?"

And then turned around and bitched out Hand for not offering.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

look fucc boi if youre going to throw shade at carl every time you post after all the accurate info he has posted carl will take his info & feed it to fucc boi ej instead of posting it here

too many glizzy suckers shading carl for no reason

carl has never once lied to you 

& yes the video was completed 

Bulk of video done but different endings?

Shemar Turner update from HammLite - he says Turner is up to 282 ::

I'll have a full update in the morning.

-He says he talks to all five of his finalists pretty much every day. He talks to all five head coaches pretty regularly too. With A&M, he mainly is in contact with Price and he likes Price.

-LSU has told him he will likely be a DT. A&M and Texas have said a combination of DE and DT. He says that his trainer told him, with his current size and athleticism, he's likely a DT longterm. He's okay with that and likes the idea of being a quick player on the interior.

-Turner says that, if there are official visits, he wants to take them all and then decide at the end of his senior season or at the Under Armour game. If visits aren't allowed, he will probably do it sooner. He has never been to two of his finalists - LSU and Georgia.

-Turner is the first recruit I've heard talk at length about the Name and Image Likeness (NIL) that will go into effect in the 2021 season. He actually mentioned that as the main thing A&M talked to him about. He says he likes the idea of it at A&M because of how big the Aggie Network is. He says all schools have mentioned it but A&M has really been using it as a selling point.

-He did not tip his hand too much about leaders or anything out of the five schools - A&M, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas - but I keep hearing from multiple folks that the Aggies are very much in this and could be in the best position. Alabama and Texas are major players, too. LSU could be but I just haven't heard a ton. I have not really heard anything about UGA.

https://247sports.com/Player/Shemar-Turner-46055593/ 

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Hide contents

-He says he talks to all five of his finalists pretty much every day. He talks to all five head coaches pretty regularly too. With A&M, he mainly is in contact with Price and he likes Price.

-LSU has told him he will likely be a DT. A&M and Texas have said a combination of DE and DT. He says that his trainer told him, with his current size and athleticism, he's likely a DT longterm. He's okay with that and likes the idea of being a quick player on the interior.

-Turner says that, if there are official visits, he wants to take them all and then decide at the end of his senior season or at the Under Armour game. If visits aren't allowed, he will probably do it sooner. He has never been to two of his finalists - LSU and Georgia.

-Turner is the first recruit I've heard talk at length about the Name and Image Likeness (NIL) that will go into effect in the 2021 season. He actually mentioned that as the main thing A&M talked to him about. He says he likes the idea of it at A&M because of how big the Aggie Network is. He says all schools have mentioned it but A&M has really been using it as a selling point.

-He did not tip his hand too much about leaders or anything out of the five schools - A&M, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas - but I keep hearing from multiple folks that the Aggies are very much in this and could be in the best position. Alabama and Texas are major players, too. LSU could be but I just haven't heard a ton. I have not really heard anything about UGA.

Posted in the aggy thread, but no way aggy should out sell Texas on the NIL.

Also, aggy "could" be in the best position in reality means they aren't.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The guy who put in a Myslinsko pick to Texas just changed it to Michigan State.  

Golfclap breathes sigh of relief.

Hah, we might have dodged a bullet. Meanwhile, we won't offer Ezra, neither will any other school of note, and the 995ers will bitch about it until the cows come home.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hah, we might have dodged a bullet. Meanwhile, we won't offer Ezra, neither will any other school of note, and the 995ers will bitch about it until the cows come home.

Myslinksi got some BOMC out of it though.  His composite went up 150+ points ( looks like his high 3* rating on ESPN finally kicked in ).

Lol he dodged the only substantive OL question - "why doesn't Ezra have any real P5 offers, even non-commitable ones?"

I think “he wasn’t able to be evaluated in the spring” is referring to Ezra in that answer. It’s just shitty formatting.

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The guy who put in a Myslinsko pick to Texas just changed it to Michigan State.  

Golfclap breathes sigh of relief.

Not sure if I should be more depressed that the coaching staff views Myslinski as a take or that we're gonna lose him to Michigan State.

/satya, definitely. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think “he wasn’t able to be evaluated in the spring” is referring to Ezra in that answer. It’s just shitty formatting.

Totally understandable given Lakeview Centennial's remote location and lack of other high-major prospects.

(I wouldn't usually be this bitchy, but the 9.95ers, and especially IT, acting like this is all some mystical oversight when even schools that offer EVERYBODY like Tennessee and Virginia Tech haven't bothered is really annoying - @OnAComputer do you have a good reason for his lack of offers?)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Why just in 2017, he definitively declared the UT brand dead and stated that premier recruits would no longer be coming to Texas.  We had been passed up by every national power and even by in-state competitors, like A&M, Baylor,  and TCU.  It was over.  And do you know what happened the very next year?

I was super morose on NSD 2017, but this feels like an exaggeration lol. At the very least I wouldn't have said that about Baylor and TCU, they were also coming off of miserable seasons that year.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Totally understandable given Lakeview Centennial's remote location and lack of other high-major prospects.

(I wouldn't usually be this bitchy, but the 9.95ers, and especially IT, acting like this is all some mystical oversight when even schools that offer EVERYBODY like Tennessee and Virginia Tech haven't bothered is really annoying - @OnAComputer do you have a good reason for his lack of offers?)

Only thing I can think of is that he’s well below his listed height/size. It’s not grades either the Rice, Vandy, UVA offers ... 

this recent video shows him lifting with Tommy Dunn — who is listed at 6’3”... 

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Process of elimination: Grades/Credits, Film, Athleticism, Size, Attitude, Off-field activities

Funny story: One of the top talents on our high school team full of D1 talent had transferred from Strake. Scouts and coaches would regularly come to our practices and field house. When they came to talk to him, he would literally run away. He had no intention of continuing football in college.

Casey Cain, Ketron Jackson, Jaden Alexis, and JJ Henry seem like the best case realistic class. If it’s a three-man class then we might see some subtraction.

So does this mean if Texas only wants 3 WRs, and those 4 guys commit, Cain is getting processed? Because that is what is sounds like.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

It got lost in the way Nahlin answered.  Because he didn't get to attend camps.

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Pure speculation question. What affect if any do you think 2020 season formats (Conference only, conference plus 1 or full slate) have on potential conference realignment and tv contracts in the not so distant future?

Tin foil hat: If it has any affect, I think it’ll be a subtle push towards REALIGNMENT and the removal of the NCAA.

effect-affect-1.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, golfclap said:

Hide contents

WHAT SAY YOU TO THESE GLIZZY SUCKERS, CARL? 

Edited by Ghost of Shag

Suchomel on Myslinky

Here's what I know (or have heard) as of Friday morning on center Michael Myslinski ...

There's some Michigan State buzz of late, which is definitely legitimate. I mentioned this in another thread earlier in the week, but while most had this pegged as a Texas-Iowa battle, it was always Michigan State that posed the biggest threat to Texas.

Myslinski has gone quiet on me this week, but in talking to a Michigan State source, it sounds like this one's still undecided and may be going back and forth. I feel confident in saying Myslinski favored Texas slightly over MSU at the beginning of this week, but heard this morning that his parents prefer Michigan State.

As of this morning, I don't think a final decision has been made but based off my conversation with Myslinski on Sunday, I know he wanted to get things done this week if possible, so we could see an announcement come at any time.

As most of you know, I'm on vacation this week and will be enjoying some frosty beverages on the beach today/tonight, but that's what I've got right now. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything more today.