Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Suchomel on Myslinky

Here's what I know (or have heard) as of Friday morning on center Michael Myslinski ...

There's some Michigan State buzz of late, which is definitely legitimate. I mentioned this in another thread earlier in the week, but while most had this pegged as a Texas-Iowa battle, it was always Michigan State that posed the biggest threat to Texas.

Myslinski has gone quiet on me this week, but in talking to a Michigan State source, it sounds like this one's still undecided and may be going back and forth. I feel confident in saying Myslinski favored Texas slightly over MSU at the beginning of this week, but heard this morning that his parents prefer Michigan State.

As of this morning, I don't think a final decision has been made but based off my conversation with Myslinski on Sunday, I know he wanted to get things done this week if possible, so we could see an announcement come at any time.

As most of you know, I'm on vacation this week and will be enjoying some frosty beverages on the beach today/tonight, but that's what I've got right now. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything more today.

The parents want East Lansing and he wants Austin? Hoo boy that's a culture clash.

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Suchomel on Myslinky

Here's what I know (or have heard) as of Friday morning on center Michael Myslinski ...

There's some Michigan State buzz of late, which is definitely legitimate. I mentioned this in another thread earlier in the week, but while most had this pegged as a Texas-Iowa battle, it was always Michigan State that posed the biggest threat to Texas.

Myslinski has gone quiet on me this week, but in talking to a Michigan State source, it sounds like this one's still undecided and may be going back and forth. I feel confident in saying Myslinski favored Texas slightly over MSU at the beginning of this week, but heard this morning that his parents prefer Michigan State.

As of this morning, I don't think a final decision has been made but based off my conversation with Myslinski on Sunday, I know he wanted to get things done this week if possible, so we could see an announcement come at any time.

As most of you know, I'm on vacation this week and will be enjoying some frosty beverages on the beach today/tonight, but that's what I've got right now. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything more today.

Don't know what is worse. Offering a borderline 2 - 3 star that zero people were excited about, or having that same slab of wonder bread not come.

OL recruiting is going great.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Don't know what is worse. Offering a borderline 2 - 3 star that zero people were excited about, or having that same slab of wonder bread not come.

OL recruiting is going great.

As opposed to the 4 star who can't get an offer from a school in Texas - but for some reason people are excited about?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, cafe society said:

It got lost in the way Nahlin answered.  Because he didn't get to attend camps.

Sure, but then why is it so gaspingly obvious we should offer when Tech/OK State/Baylor haven't? (Well, Nahlin and Wells are in love with Baylor's takes, so that at least makes some sense)

We absolutely need to offer more OL, but this has been one of the most striking offer-to-hype mismatches I've ever seen.

Edited by texifornia

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

So does this mean if Texas only wants 3 WRs, and those 4 guys commit, Cain is getting processed? Because that is what is sounds like.

It sounds like Nahlin wishcasting.

Look, no one knows for sure if the eval is a great one or a dud, but it is clear that Yurcich made the eval, did the recruiting, and took the commitment from Cain. He did this well before they turned up the heat on Ketron Jackson (and others). Yes, the OOS WR could end up not part of the class because OOS recruiting is what it is, but Nahlin is simply fumbling and wishcasting on this one. In his dream scenario Cain is processed and not replaced or replaced with some DFW replacement like Jaedon Wilson or Cameron Brady. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We absolutely need to offer more OL, but this has been one of the most striking offer-to-hype mismatches I've ever seen.

I think the video I posted helps me understand. Ezra is markedly shorter than Dunn. If he's 6'1" or shorter the offer/rating mismatch and the schools that have and haven't offered make sense to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think the video I posted helps me understand. Ezra is markedly shorter than Dunn. If he's 6'1" or shorter the offer/rating mismatch and the schools that have and haven't offered make sense to me. 

Its funny - Roach mentioned in his latest podcast that Myslinski was limited to strictly a C because of his height while a guy like Ezra could move to Guard - but less than 30 seconds later mentioned that he hadn't been able to go out and see Ezra in person so really didn't have idea about his size.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its funny - Roach mentioned in his latest podcast that Myslinski was limited to strictly a C because of his height while a guy like Ezra could move to Guard - but less than 30 seconds later mentioned that he hadn't been able to go out and see Ezra in person so really didn't have idea about his size.

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

"Well, with that attitude, I'm glad you're not in charge of recruiting defensive tackles.  That's all I'll say!"

- Bryce English (5-11, 330), godson of Bruce Chambers 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok...

Hoping it's Fields signing, since it'd be weird to do this for a commit, and it's hard to think of an on-field thing that would justify it.

Based on the change in background, I am thinking black unis ... 

Whatever.  Just win.

Edited by Jacob McCandles

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Non-con +1, budget cuts likely, freshmen impressing, crootin’

RONA HATES FOOTBALL

The Big 12 postponed Media Days — again. They were to be held on Monday and Tuesday. In its place will be meetings to discuss the upcoming season. With other conferences either nixing non-conference play or proposing conference +1 game, we feel like we have all the foreshadowing we need. Texas will likely play a reduced season. Because risk or something. Other than two, we’re not quite sure what the difference is between 12 and 10.

If you were predicting a full conference slate plus the UTEP game you’re probably going to be correct. That’s the best prediction, most likely outcome as of now. Losing the LSU game is a major bummer. Chris Del Conte did all he can to keep that game on the schedule. As we’re watching what happens with the non-conference schedule, we’re also interested in stadium capacity. We’ve mentioned it before, but economically speaking, 25% attendance is going to be a disaster.

Football pays the bills and because football creates so much revenue Texas has a high operating budget. This budget benefits athletics well beyond the sport that creates the revenue. Decision making goes beyond Del Conte and even interim president Jay Hartzell. The 25% plan was recently released in part to underline to the Board of Regents just how bad things will be at that attendance level.

50%, which we concede probably won’t be likely, would keep much of ticket sales and donations associated with ticket sales intact. On top of reduced capacity, UT is also dealing with the likelihood of losing two home games. We’re talking about a budget deficit in the vicinity of 50-60 million dollars for the sport that creates revenue and offsets the sports that lose significant money. Absent some sort of temporary financing that would likely have to be legislated, we’re going to see more than just salary cuts.

TEAM

A poster this week wondered why I left Troy Omeire off the two-deep depth chart recently. My take was he isn’t going to start ahead of Brennan Eagles or Tarik Black.

I still think that’s true but he is rotating with the ones and has already earned the respect of the DB room. Omeire is hyper-competitive and brings it every play. My source laughed when he said this, “He’s trying to go 1-0 every rep.” This source thinks he has a chance to be three and done. When I asked him if he’s better than Brennan Eagles I heard, “not yet, Brennan’s the complete package, but like with a lot of these young guys you can tell they’re the future.”

Go on, which younger guys? “The d-linemen. When Broughton and Collins are standing next to each other it’s just something else entirely. It’s funny, especially when Sweat is out there too. They’re big as hell but can move. Hudson Card is another one. I don’t want to say too much because 7 on 7 isn’t the same as having a defensive line in your face - I’m sure he’ll look different - but he processes and gets the ball out quick.“

We had a reader ask about Ja’Quinden Jackson so I asked about him too. “They’re working him on zone and RPO stuff. Not sure if it’s a package or just building around his strengths. Maybe both. I don’t know. I don’t know who will start after Sam, this is the year for the program, but the competition next year is going to be fierce.“ While my source is high on the young quarterbacks he made sure I understood they aren’t ready this year.

I asked him who else is impressing. “Xavion Alford. He’s just a football player. They moved him to Spur when Cook left (this was news to me) and he picks up everything so fast. Freshmen come in and are robotic because they don’t want to screw up. Not him. He’s out there comfortable like he’s been in the program for years.” Tomorrow is the last day of workouts before August camp. Camp begins on the 7th with check in being the day before.

STATE OF RECRUITING

While Texas enters August with more questions than answers about the upcoming season on the field, the current 2021 class is taking on a loose shape, absent two main positions. Offensive line and wide receiver recruiting has a long way to go, but there are positives at both spots as we approach the possibility of #txhsfb in the near future. The latest on the latest.

Albert Regis... Mr. LaPorte and IT favorite, Regis is receiving a lot of attention from college coaches. To the point, Texas A&M had a Zoom meeting with him that lasted three hours. 180 minutes. Honorary poultry science degree. Bless that kid's heart. This recruitment still feels like a Texas-Texas A&M battle, dashed with a little unpredictability. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound four-star (247) talks to UT regularly, and might've been turned off by the Aggie Match.com virtual recruiting style. Texas has made Regis a priority, and give credit to the defensive staff and Mark Hagen here. We give a slight nod towards UT to win out.

Mike Myslinski.... The Jacksonville, FL three-star center wanted to make a decision as early as this week, and still may, but Michigan State’s surge has made this less of a Texas-Iowa faceoff and more Bevo versus Sparty. The relationship factor that's supposed to benefit Herb and the Horns might actually favor the Spartans. His father has been close to Mel Tucker for years and that familiarity has made this more difficult for Texas. The constant here is UT, but if Herb Hand doesn’t close this one it’s not a good sign at all.

Camar Wheaton....The Lakeview Centennial composite five-star tailback has been buzzworthy of late. Wheaton likes to lay low and when he knows, we'll know. After digging we think Stan Drayton is gaining a little edge over OU running backs coach DeMarco Murray. Wheaton is a bit more like Drayton, personality-wise. We don't think there's a leader here, but UT and OU are out-pacing the rest.

Ike Iwunnah... the 6-foot-4, 275-pound defender is Wheaton’s teammate. He still wants to take visits before making a decision, and like many, if official visits do not return until next spring, there'll be a lot of interesting decisions made in the cycle. This is probably a Texas-Colorado-Baylor battle and I'd give the Horns the edge right now. Mark Hagen continues to take good swings here. However, what do the numbers look like? Texas is in on both Regis and Shemar Turner from DeSoto.

Wide Receivers.. With Louisiana native Casey Cain being the lone wideout in the 2021 bunch, there remains several questions about potential targets. The good news here is that Texas is squarely in the mix for Pompano Beach, FL three-star Jaden Alexis. He‘ll likely post his announcement date rather than an impromptu public commitment. Expect the crystal balls to favor UT at that point. The staff is making in-roads with Royse City's Ketron Jackson and McKinney North's JJ Henry. Jackson's ATX excursion moved the needle and UT should receive another favorable data point in that recruitment today. We’ll connect that dot a bit later. Henry is hearing from Tom Herman and Andre Coleman on the regular. He wants to visit, but has no issue making a decision if the dead period remains in place. Recruiting always boils down to relationships but we feel that one does even more so. Coleman is connecting pretty well there.

Dallas Jesuit's Ryan Lengyel might be making a weekend trip to Austin. You know the drill: No contact in this never-ending dead period, but FaceTime conversations walking around campus seem to do well with recruits like Gunnar Helm and Ketron Jackson. He continues to talk to Herb Hand and learn about the program. Texas likes him as a tackle.

Quinn Ewers...the five-star 2022 quarterback from Southlake Carroll continues apace. The industry talk on this one is somewhat interesting but doesn’t quite line up with our read/intel. Those who give the edge to OU will discuss Ewers’ relationship with Lincoln Riley. It is true Ewers has a good relationship with Riley. It’s also true that Riley is OU‘s quarterback coach in addition to head coach so his role is a bit different than Tom Herman’s. If Riley’s contact outpaces that of Herman and UT’s quarterback coach and offensive coordinator, Mike Yurcich, then maybe that will become an issue. As of now, we think Herman is at least holding serve and Yurcich is doing well. Riley pulling double duty might offer the Sooners a small advantage but we don’t think it puts the Sooners over the top. Texas has a chance to win this recruitment on the field. The Ewers’ aren’t driven by hype, potential, depth charts, NIL, etc. Whoever wins this recruitment will do so honestly with the product on the field. They will have earned the Ewers’ confidence that Quinn will be maximized. Given his ability, that’s going to be a fortunate program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Roach may be learning how to 995

The irritating thing about Roach, at least to those who give him money, is he knows way more, way way more, than he ever writes about. He's very self-aware of what  - as @texifornia put it I think - his "milquetoastness". His intentional witholding of information is part of the reason he knows a lot, at least in DFW and somewhat central texas. Kids trust him to not say too much about their recruitment, and he also isn't a media member who badgers the kids for constant updates.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach may be learning how to 995

Don’t people pay $9.95 so that people like him will tell them what he heard on the streets...before it happens?

heres some more inside info- I’m told that Texas isn’t done with the 2022 class just yet. Expect 22-25 more commitments over the next 17 months. I’m expecting commitments from all positions except punter. As they commit, I will tell you more...for the low low price of $4.99 biweekly. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Guard or Tackle?

Wells says he's a guard at the college level.

Lengyel has some real size and quickness to him but he's at his best on a path, when he has to move laterally or change direction in space then some of his limitations become evident. He's playing left tackle at Dallas Jesuit but he's a guard at Texas. There's not quite enough athleticism or length to project him to be able to hold up on the edge against Big 12 pass-rushers. His size and quickness does make a good fit for the inside zone scheme and there's an increasing need for guards to be able to absorb a pass rush with size and mass so converting big, physical high school tackles is a good plan there as well.

Edited by satyanash

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Guard or Tackle?

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

That's what I guessed. I'm puzzled why there are no more additional OT offers....why no Jack Leyrer?

The nahlin update above says “Texas likes him at tackle.”

Also says he’s going to do a walk about tour of Austin this weekend- and now he’s been offered. Hmmm. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If all that Omeire stuff is accurate...we will have to delete a lot of stuff...a..lot..of stuff

I have been on too many zoom calls to count, if a single one ever went over an hour and a half...ron swanson computer GIF

Staff and QBs love Omeire so far, FWIW. He's a hard worker, practices alone frequently in free time.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lengyel has some real size and quickness to him but he's at his best on a path, when he has to move laterally or change direction in space then some of his limitations become evident. He's playing left tackle at Dallas Jesuit but he's a guard at Texas. There's not quite enough athleticism or length to project him to be able to hold up on the edge against Big 12 pass-rushers. His size and quickness does make a good fit for the inside zone scheme and there's an increasing need for guards to be able to absorb a pass rush with size and mass so converting big, physical high school tackles is a good plan there as well.

I haven't watched much of Lengyel, so I'm not sure if Wells is right here, but if so, you'd have to think he's the My slinky backup plan. No fucking clue what we're doing at Tackle. At least Conner has shown a lot of improvement that makes it look like he can stick at Tackle in college. His progress over the last year has been extremely encouraging, and he really appearsto have the work ethic to keep progressing throughout college.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Hand loves taller OL, so Lengyel over Oyetade-Dotson makes sense on that level.

Oyetade being closer to 6' would connect a lot of the dots in his recruitment, especially for Hand, who likes long Interior OL for his zone-based running scheme.   I think Hand sometimes favors length and athleticism a little too much at interior OL and he may be doing it in this case, but we have taken some dudes who will generate a good push inside, like Johnson and Angilau.  I do wonder if we'll start to struggle with generating enough push on the OL if we continue to fill up the IOL with guys like Majors, Parr, Lengyel, etc.  They're good athletes and not necessarily bad takes individually, but they're all a long way from being able to generate a push on the OL.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1