Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Outside of Tommy and D Jackson..  isn't the 22 OL just as deep with really high ceiling players too?  Banks, Dewberry, Ealy etc

Yes.  You also have Campbell and Hutson who we've already offered.  Duncanville has another early 4* OL that looks like a mauling Guard and I posted a bit on the Center from WOS.  A Corpus Christie school has an interior guy already offered by the Oklahoma schools and aggy.  Couple more high 3* OL on 247 as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yes.  You also have Campbell and Hutson who we've already offered.  Duncanville has another early 4* OL that looks like a mauling Guard and I posted a bit on the Center from WOS.  A Corpus Christie school has an interior guy already offered by the Oklahoma schools and aggy.  Couple more high 3* OL on 247 as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb0M4KRuH_4R_3sCIbOGp

• Hook 'Em 1

Listened to the Milroe interview with RJ. He's locked in.  Lot of Hermanisms in there like going 1-0 every day, competition with yourself, family environment here,  and discussing life after football. 

We've hear all these things from recruits across the country but when you hear it regarding Texas,  it all sounds like familiar soundbites 

247 / Steve Wiltfong / McKinney North WR JJ Henry has all the intangibles too

Spoiler

McKinney North WR JJ Henry has all the intangibles too
STEVE WILTFONG

McKinney (Texas) North 2021 receiver JJ Henry had a big junior season, turning 71 receptions into 1,419 yards and 16 touchdowns in what was a breakout campaign.

That production turned into 20-plus scholarship offers as things stand now.

"Texas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Louisville, and Florida State have been pushing the hardest," a source at the school told 247Sports.

That same source raved about the 5-foot-10, 165-pound as a person and player.

"I love his competitiveness," Henry said. "He is relentless in the pursuit to be the best. He works his butt off and won’t stop until he’s at the top.

"He’s a phenomenal route runner and makes the team around him better when he performs."

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

STEVE WILTFONG

McKinney (Texas) North 2021 receiver JJ Henry had a big junior season, turning 71 receptions into 1,419 yards and 16 touchdowns in what was a breakout campaign.

"Texas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Louisville, and Florida State have been pushing the hardest," a source at the school told 247Sports.

"I love his competitiveness," Henry said. "He is relentless in the pursuit to be the best. He works his butt off and won’t stop until he’s at the top.

"He’s a phenomenal route runner and makes the team around him better when he performs."

Sounds like our kinda kid

47 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

STEVE WILTFONG

Is Wiltfong's source JJ Henry and did he just compliment himself in the third person? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Taking the temperature of the Texas board

Despite a new coaching staff handcuffed by restrictions from COVID-19, the Longhorns have managed to put together a Top 15 recruiting class. With somewhere around 10 spots left in the 2021 group, the Longhorns are focusing on maximizing their numbers and landing priority targets. While it’s likely the board could change depending on what plays out this fall, all we can do is look at the way things are now. If visits are introduced, it could change the dynamics in a major way for every school.

With that in mind, it’s time to pull out our thermometers and perform a temperature check for remaining targets on the board. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we bring back a confidence board with heat checks including Hot, heating up, warm, cool and cold.

Five-star Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton

Scoop: We’ve talked about Wheaton at length over the last week. Sources near the quiet superstar indicate the race is coming down to Texas and Oklahoma. The Longhorns have an advantage with a strong relationship between Wheaton and running back coach Stan Drayton, and some questions about Oklahoma’s DeMarco Murray’s ability to coach, Texas is making some moves in this race.

Confidence: Hot

Four-star Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson

Scoop: Texas is also engaged for the other top in-state back LJ Johnson. While it looked like he may be a Texas A&M lead recently, other schools are starting to push. Texas is in that group as Johnson and Texas running back Bijan Robinson have been talking. Texas A&M should still be considered the favorite, but Texas is hanging around.

Confidence: Warm

Four-star Royse City (Texas) WR Ketron Jackson

Scoop: Jackson’s self-guided tour to Austin last week was an incredible success. Texas was pushing to get into a key position for him and that visit created enough boost for the Longhorns to move towards the top. In fact, a source told me last weekend that if they had to bet right now, all of their money would be on Texas. I’m waiting for the post visit glow to go away to get another read, but I think Texas made a big move.

Confidence: Heating up

Four-star Alexandria (VA) St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes WR Malcolm Johnson Jr.

Scoop: Texas made it into the Top 5 for Johnson and full credit should go to Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich to get them there. That said, I think Texas is at the back end of that group, and I’m not sure what the staff can do without visits at their disposal to make a move up.

Confidence: Cool

Four-star Lexington (KY) Frederick Douglass WR Dekel Crowdus

Scoop: Texas commits are working hard on Crowdus and he’s at least listening at this point. Still, it doesn’t sound like there is much to monitor to at this point. Perhaps Texas can continue to work to pry him away, but right now it seems he’s still firm in his commitment to Kentucky at this point in time.

Four-star Kosciusko (MS) WR Antonio Harmon

Scoop: Not having deep sources in Mississippi, I’ve had to be careful about filtering out what I’m being told and matching it up with other information I can gather to clarify. Those I’ve spoken with near Harmon say that Texas is in a prime position, and sources in Austin confirm they’ve had great conversations with him. That said, we will approach this one cautiously down the stretch.

Three-star Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis

Scoop: Alexis is one of the most important prospects on the board for Texas. A dynamic deep threat, Alexis could provide a big boost to the offensive class if Texas can reel him in. My pick is on Texas and has been for a while, and there’s nothing to change that as of now. I expect Alexis to make his move in the next month.

Three-star McKinney North WR JJ Henry

Scoop: Texas seems to be in as good of a position as anyone for Henry, but a lot will depend on what happens for both sides over the next few months. If Texas fills up, they will obviously move on, but if Texas stays in the race, they should have a good shot to finish with Henry.

Four-star Duncanville OT Savion Byrd

Scoop: The Longhorns aren’t close to where they want to be in this race, but they aren’t totally out of it yet. Several Texas commits have been trying to work on him and the Longhorns aren’t giving in. I don’t know what Texas can do right now to flip the script outside of an amazing season, but the staff needs to do what they can.

Four-star Katy Taylor OG Bryce Foster

Scoop: Foster is another important target on the board, but Texas is likely in third place at best right now. The four-star prospect maintains that he’s open, but I don’t sense a ton of confidence in Austin. Maybe Texas can turn the tide in the fall, but my guess is that Oklahoma has the success to sell while Texas A&M’s roots run deep through his family.

Four-star Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove DL Marcus Burris

Scoop: Texas was included in Burris’s recent top three, but sources near the east Texas big man indicate that the Longhorns aren’t really in the picture. Burris never seemed to latch on to Texas and the Longhorns seemed to also move on to some of their other targets up front.

Confidence: Cold

Four-star DeSoto (Texas) DE Shemar Turner

Scoop: There’s a lot of conjecture surrounding the four-star prospect’s recruitment, but sources near him indicate to Horns247 that Texas is right in the top group along with Texas A&M and Alabama. While the Longhorns have to combat the SEC pressure, Texas is right in the thick of this race.

Four-star Mansfield Legacy DE David Abiara

Scoop: It's been pretty quiet on the Abiara front.  Texas is still working to gain position, but Abiara plays things pretty close to the vest.  We've reached the point in his recruitment where we are starting to hear some wild rumors, but I haven't confirmed enough to report them.  Oklahoma holds the Crystal Ball lead, but the Sooners were sure he'd have flipped by now.

Three-star Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek DE Arden Walker

Scoop: Texas has Walker among their targets up front, and they are still working to sort things out up front. With Walker’s teammate Gunnar Helm on board, Texas shouldhave a leg up with Walker, but it will depend on how numbers play out on the defensive line.

Three-star La Porte (Texas) DT Albert Regis

Scoop: The Longhorns are pushing for the La Porte native and hoping to add him as one of the true defensive tackle prospects in the class. Regis stays pretty quiet and keeps most schools recruiting him off balance, but it sounds like there’s some confidence that Texas has the best pitch and pushing the hardest at this time.

Three-star Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial DT Ikechukwu Iwunnah

Scoop: Frankly, Iwunnah’s best offer is Texas, and the Longhorns are one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. I was told over the weekend that Iwunnah loves everything he’s hearing from Texas and just wants to see campus. That may need to be on a self-guided tour as it seems unlikely visits will resume in the fall.

Three-star Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks

Scoop: I’ve been high on Texas’s chances with cooks since the moment he stepped on campus in the spring for an elite day visit. The rangy, athletic linebacker recently released a top six that included Texas, but sources continue to tell us that the Longhorns are the team to beat. Oklahoma and Georgia might be able to make some noise, but I expect Cooks to end up at Texas.

Three-star Grand Prairie (Texas) South Grand Prairie CB Jalon Williams

Scoop: When Texas offered Williams, it seemed that his recruitment could go their way quickly. However, after picking up a commit from Jamier Johnson, numbers in the secondary are dwindling. At this point, I’d expect that Texas won’t likely take another cornerback prospect in the 2021 class unless something happens to Ishmael Ibraheem or Johnson.

Confidence: Cold

Four-star Austin (Texas) LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba

Scoop: Mukuba would be the cherry to top off a strong defensive back group for Texas, and the Longhorns are all in to land the Austin native. Sources indicate that the Longhorn’s chances go way up if official visits don’t happen. Mukuba ‘s recruitment is the most important one left in the secondary, and it will likely be the last defensive back recruitment of the cycle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

(Nick Harris) The Stampede (Part II): Notes and tidbits from Pylon Dallas

Arguably the biggest 7-on-7 event in Texas since the pandemic struck took place in Dallas this past weekend at Carrollton's A+D1 facility where some of Texas' best club teams came back out for the first time since March.

FAST Houston took the crown as they brought in some heavyweight powers from out-of-state including 2022 five-star cornerback Domani Jackson from Mater Dei (Cali.). Team Grind was in action for the first time since Championship 7v7's tournament in Katy at the beginning of March as they were led by new 2022 Texas commit Phaizon Wilson, Hawaii quarterback commit Brayden Schager, 2022 Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson, four-star wide receiver Ketron Jackson and 2022 four-star safety Chace Biddle.

Team Flex was back on the field for the first time since Houston's nationally-competed Endzone tournament in March as they were led by 2022 four-star wide receiver Evan Stewart, McKinney North wide receiver JJ Henry, Texas A&M commit Deuce Harmon, Texas commits JD Coffey and Ishmael Ibraheem and four-star safety Andrew Mukuba. Making the drive up from Houston, KFA was headlined by Texas commit Jalen Milroe and 2022 four-star cornerback Bobby Taylor.

Team Ice was headlined by Red Oak 2023 quarterback Chris Parson and Texas athlete commit Juan Davis. True Buzz was led by Tennessee commit Kaidon Salter and Arkansas wide receiver commit Jaedon Wilson. In this week’s special second edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take a look at all of the notes and tidbits gathered throughout the weekend in a heated group of competition.

Four-star Royse City (Texas) WR Ketron Jackson

Things have been looking really good in the past week for Texas in the race for Ketron Jackson after a self-guided trip to Austin boosted the Longhorns back into the top grouping. After talking to Jackson this past weekend, I got the feel that Texas is not only in the top grouping for Jackson, but is the leader for him at this point. This coincides with Crystal Ball predictions flying in over the weekend in favor of Texas as the Longhorns have seen a huge surge here.

Also helping push Texas to the front recently is the commitment of Lancaster (Texas) 2022 WR Phaizon Wilson who is close friends with Jackson. They grew up playing with each other in south Dallas and played together on Team Grind during the 7-on-7 circuit. Jackson is looking to decide in the "next few weeks" so expect this to develop sooner rather than later.

Four-star Lancaster (Texas) 2022 WR commit Phaizon Wilson

Wilson made his first public appearance since committing to Texas on Friday and balled out for the small crowd in Carrollton. He turned heads all day with acrobatic one-hand grabs and physical jump ball touchdowns.

He is excited to be a Longhorn and definitely felt the love from the coaches, media and fans on Friday, so much so that his phone had froze during the day. Ultimately what sealed the deal so early for Texas was his relationship that he has built with wide receivers coach Andre Coleman and head coach Tom Herman. He's already working to help bring in some other guys including Ketron Jackson. Wilson says that is the main priority right now before focusing on 2022 guys.

Four-star Austin (Texas) LBJ S Andrew Mukuba

Mukuba was in action for Team Flex and caught up with me to talk his recruitment during the day. Communication is going good with Texas right now as he has built a solid relationship with defensive coordinator Chris Ash. The gist of most of the conversations between the staff and recruits recently has been just talking about life aside from football, and the relationship with Ash and Mukuba is no different.

He is waiting to see what the NCAA does with visits in the fall before deciding on what to do with his commitment timeline as he would like to get out to Clemson and LSU. If visits get canceled for the fall, he said he will just try to make the best decision based on what he knows about each place. That would be a good thing for Texas as he has been to the UT campus multiple times and has had 3-4 visits with the staff before the pandemic.

This will be one that will develop as the NCAA visit situation develops later this month. As of now, no on-campus recruiting is allowed until September 1, but that date continues to get pushed back.

Five-star Frisco (Texas) Liberty 2022 WR Evan Stewart

Stewart has seen his stock rise in a big way this spring as he has accumulated 26 offers and is now listed as a composite five-star. He is mainly just playing the field right now and listening to anybody who is willing to talk, including multiple conversations with Texas. He is waiting to get out on visits to see what everybody has to offer as the only school that he has ever been to was Baylor before the pandemic.

He has been to Austin once for a track meet and said he loved the atmosphere and definitely wants to get on a legit visit as soon as he can. There is a feeling that he wants to stay close to home so this could be a regional battle between the area's Power Five schools.

Five-star Mater Dei (Cali.) 2022 CB Domani Jackson

Making the trek in from Los Angeles this past weekend, Jackson had a good showing in bracket play for FAST Houston as he helped lead them to another tournament win. Upon arriving to Dallas, I was able to catch up with him to talk his top schools and it seems as though Texas is in a pretty good spot right now. He included the Longhorns in his top ten list earlier this summer and continues to have weekly communication with cornerbacks coach Jay Valai and occasionally with Tom Herman.

There probably won't be much more development in his recruitment until he can get out to each of his top ten schools on a visit, and Jackson confirmed with Horns247 that Texas will definitely be one of the first. He's intrigued with what they have to offer and is excited to go see for himself. Being the No. 4 player in the country for 2022 and the No. 1 cornerback, Jackson will be a massive land for whoever can pull him in.

Three-star McKinney (Texas) North WR JJ Henry

247Sports' Steve Wiltfong wrote a piece on Henry over the weekend that I liked a lot. It mentioned how intriguing he is as a recruit and the different intangibles he brings to the field. I saw exactly what he was talking about over the weekend as Henry had a great showing for Team Flex. He is lightning quick out of the slot and has great moves. I know that JoJo Earle may be the top prize at that slot position for a lot of people in the state of Texas, but I like the idea of putting Henry at least in that conversation.

In talking to him during the day, everything with Texas and Henry is smooth right now. Devin Duvernay getting drafted in April helped Texas a lot in this one as Henry pointed to that as the biggest reason why he likes the Longhorns. He is being super patient with the recruitment process right now and is waiting to see if he can take his visits. Schools he mentioned that he wants to get out to are Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State, Ole Miss and Louisville.

Four-star Garland (Texas) 2022 S Chace Biddle

Chace Biddle has seen his stock explode this spring and summer alongside his high school teammate and Team Grind teammate Jordan Hudson. Hudson shut things down rather quickly and committed to Oklahoma in July and mentioned that he would like to bring Biddle along with him as a package deal. In talking to Biddle over the weekend, he is taking the process at his own pace, even though the Sooners remain in the mix.

As Mike Roach has reported, Texas continues to be in a solid spot for Biddle at this point in his recruitment. The relationship he has built with Jay Valai has been huge in this one as Biddle said Valai reminds him a lot of himself. He said that he definitely wants to get out to Texas as soon as he is able to.

Four-star Kennedale (Texas) Texas commit S JD Coffey and four-star Dallas (Texas) Kimball Texas commit CB Ishmael Ibraheem

Coffey and Ibraheem each had solid outings for Team Flex over the weekend as they produced havoc for multiple proven 7-on-7 offenses. Ibraheem opened the tournament for Flex with an impressive interception across the middle on the first play of their first pool play game and continued to lock down receivers throughout the day. Everything is status quo regarding their respective commitments as they stay in constant contact with the staff and are actively working to bring in more guys to the class.

Coffey specifically is working on Bowling Green (Ky.) four-star wide receiver Dekel Crowdus. They started building a relationship through social media in the beginning of their recruitments and have become pretty good friends. Ibraheem has been helping out with Ketron Jackson while both Ibraheem and Coffey have been working on their Flex teammate, Andrew Mukuba. These two commits are emerging as two of the better player-recruiters Texas has in this class as they are actively working on targets almost daily.

Three-star Everman (Texas) Texas commit ATH Juan Davis

Davis was one of the first commits of this 2021 class back last summer and he could prove to be huge in this class. He has been talking with LSU commit JoJo Earle quite a bit about Texas and their relationship could be big for that recruitment going forward. Everything is status quo with Davis as well as he talks to tight ends coach Jay Boulware about every other day and is excited to get to Austin. He is open to play anything Texas needs him for and is working on slimming down during his senior year to be prepared for what comes next in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 4

Eric Nahlin: Recruiting expert Gerry Hamilton joins Inside Texas

Inside Texas has come a long way over the past decade but isn’t satisfied. The company is making its biggest hire yet in Gerry Hamilton. If you took a poll of the fan base asking who is the best Texas recruiting writer over the last couple decades he’d easily walk away with top honors.

Hopefully the hire of Hamilton illustrates IT doesn’t make hires out of necessity, but to improve its content in order to be the best. A huge value of being independent is being able to make bold moves that make perfect sense. IT already had the most comprehensive coverage in the Texas market. Now it looks to rival the best team coverage in any market. Hiring Hamilton goes a long way towards that end.

IT is very excited about this development and the feeling is mutual. Here’s Hamilton’s reintroduction to the market:

"It's very exciting to be back in my home state of Texas, and back in the Texas market. Being back in East Texas for a Friday night game, visiting Texas high schools on a weekly basis and continuing to build on so many connections and friendships from years of work is very exciting. When you grow up as the son of a high school coach in Texas, nothing really compares in the business. Working exclusively nationally in the last few years has provided many trusted sources, and given me opportunities to travel the country and gain in-depth knowledge on every region of the country. When I decided to move back home and step back into the Texas market, I studied which site was providing the best content for subscribers. That due diligence made my decision a no-brainer. I'm thrilled to be part of a tremendous team, and the knowledgeable and entertaining community at Inside Texas!"

IT will deploy Hamilton’s vast insights on the new Flyover Football board where you can find his non-UT work, and of course on the Members Forum where his UT recruiting info and evaluations will be featured prominently. He will also collaborate on the two permanent weekly insider features, Monday‘s Inside Scoop and Fridays in the Humidor. Make sure and give @Gerry Hamilton a warm welcome.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Bobby Burton: Monday

August is finally here. Football could be just a month away. But the *could* in that last sentence is maddening. Think back five months ago when all this started. First the NBA cancelled its games. Then the NCAA basketball tournament was cancelled. Baseball’s spring training was aborted. Spring football gone, too. For the past five months, the entire country seems to have been waiting for the next shoe to drop.

The NBA bubble seems to be working. But MLB seems the opposite with multiple games cancelled over the weekend. Even though NASCAR and golf have made a comeback, they don’t really count for me when it comes to watching sports. So what’s in store for football? As it relates to the coronavirus, I am concerned with the health of the support staff of the teams just as much as I am the teams at this point. It seems young athletes rarely get sick from this dreaded disease, but they can and do pass it on to older adults.

And then there’s the social awakening that has occurred since the last time a football game has been played. The proliferation of the Black Lives Matter movement has created a greater awareness of racial disparity, both real and perceived, in this country and across the world. Football players have taken part by raising their voices in support of the movement at Texas and elsewhere. Their voices continue to be raised in other matters, as it is with the talk of boycotts in the PAC-12 based on safety concerns.

So what will college football look like in a month? Will it even be played? We don’t know. And that is sobering. I wish we were further along in this pandemic and had it under better control. I wish we were further along in matters of racial justice. But wishing doesn’t make it so. Instead, we have to wait to see what happens over the next 30 days. In the meantime, we all have to do our part and keep our fingers crossed. But I know this. I’m really tired of waiting. I’m ready for the Burnt Orange to take the field.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Taking the temperature of the Texas board

That was a lot of sunshine for ole ears to the streets.  Cooks has a final three of UT, OU, and UGA.  Seegars had a final three of aggy and some G5 schools, but I'm sure they're interchangeable prospects. 

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Monday

This has to be a fake. Not a single I'm told in the entire thing and no mention of a pride of fuck lions. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Recruiting expert Gerry Hamilton joins Inside Texas

ESPN was already extremely weak on recruiting coverage/evals. Are they still going to be doing ratings? I thought Gerry was about the only guy who did that for them. I shudder imagining a composite rating that gives Rivals half the input. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

ESPN was already extremely weak on recruiting coverage/evals. Are they still going to be doing ratings? I thought Gerry was about the only guy who did that for them. I shudder imagining a composite rating that gives Rivals half the input. 

I think Gerry will still help out with their rankings

• Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of; 

Scoop:

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

Today's Scoop is filled with goodies on 2021 targets LJ Johnson and Ryan Lengyel, 2022's Bear Alexander and Cole Huston, and an overview of the 2021 class by our newest addition. Get a dose.

By: @Gerry Hamilton

RECRUITING OVERVIEW

I am bullish on the overall talent level in the program with three straight top 10 classes, despite losses to injury, transfer and taking early retirement. The No. 3 ranked 2018 class, No. 5 in 2019, and No. 9 in 2020 have the program set up with depth and talent at many positions.

With the addition of Bijan Robinson, Texas will enter the season with as much combined talent and depth at running back in many years in Austin. Keaontay Ingram and Roschon Johnson return with over 1,500 yards, and adding a difference maker in Robinson, the Texas RB “room” is stacked and can withstand injury for the first time in a while.

The 2021 class has Jonathon Brooks committed, which is a solid add to the room. Brooks isn’t going to win on long speed, but he has terrific feet in the hole, and vision. Obviously, if Texas beats out Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma for L.J. Johnson, the RB room would be on par with any in the country headed into the 2021-22 season.

Watch for the wide receiver position to develop really well under the direction of Andre Coleman. Count me in as a big fan of the 2020 class of receivers signed by Tom Herman and staff. Troy Omiere is hyper-competitive, and brings terrific size and length. Kelvontay Dixon would have run 10.5 last spring if there would have been a track season. Carthage head coach Scott Surratt expects Dixon to have plenty of success in Austin. Dajon Harrison is a very good slot and return man addition to the program. The trio is a nice mix to add to the talent already on campus. Don’t underestimate having Coleman to communicate and develop Jake Smith, Marcus Washington, Brennan Eagles, Jordan Whittington, Kennedy Lewis, and Joshua Moore. Goes without saying that Whittington is the wild card.

Receiver recruiting is off to a strong start in 2022 with Lancaster’s Phaizon Wilson committing July 31st. Texas has quietly been surging with Lewisville’s Armani Winfield and Frisco Liberty’s Evan Stewart.

The state is absolutely loaded in 2022 at receiver with the trio mentioned along with Austin area star Caleb Burton, and the best hands among the group in Garland's Jordan Hudson (Oklahoma verbal) all making up the top tier. Signing two out of that group should be considered a win, with three being like Albert Pujols watching a moon shot off of Brad Lidge in the NLCS.

With the additions of Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in the 2020 class, the Longhorns talent and depth on the defensive front is building back to when the program was winning 10+games a year. There will be multiple NFL prospects on the defensive line this season with a good mix of experience and youth to develop. An elite edge rusher remains elusive, to this point. When considering the DL talent, I’m not including Joseph Ossai and Prince Dorbah, who will likely be key in bringing edge pass rush in Chris Ash’s scheme.

Commitments Ja’Tavion Sanders and Jordon Thomas are a very good start in 2021 to adding more talent and depth, but there are huge opportunities remaining in state to absolutely load up the position for the future — which will be addressed shortly.

I firmly believe Mark Hagan was as important of an addition to the Texas staff as Chris Ash or Mike Yurcich, when considering the recruiting/coaching combination.

All it takes is flipping over to Longhorn Network and watching replays from 2000 to 2009 to understand the level of talent on the defensive front Texas had on campus when winning 10+yearly.

Five most important prospects for Texas in 2021 among the uncommitted:

1. Shemar Turner, DE/T, DeSoto

When looking at the prospects in the state in 2021, one could make an argument that Turner has as much upside as any. Turner checks all the elite prospect boxes in terms of height, frame, wingspan, hand size, overall agility, flexibility and reactive quickness. That’s why Alabama, LSU and about every other top national program covets him. A trusted source called Texas “the dark horse” in this recruitment with LSU and Alabama having been given the front-runner status in mid-July.

2. Terrence Cooks, LB, Shadow Creek

Big fan of what Texas has done to this point at LB in 2021 with Derrick Harris and Morice Blackwell in the fold. Harris has about everything one can’t teach in terms of frame, length, hand size and COD, while Blackwell is an ideal Big 12 LB because of the ability to play in space and drop in coverage with fluidity. Cooks is the best LB prospect in the state with a blend of overall athleticism, play strength and frame to add ample weight; and would make the position a home run in 2021.

3. Albert Regis, DT, La Porte

Give credit to Minnesota for a terrific early evaluation, but the Gophers stood zero chance long term. This uber athletic DT prospect now has Texas and Texas A&M making him a priority, which is an interesting first key recruitment for Mark Hagen with his prior coaching stint in College Station. Regis is the type of defensive tackle that college coaches in a four man front salivate to have the chance to develop — natural strength and athleticism for his size are elite. Regis is not a big fan of recruiting hype and schools over-recruiting him personally, so understanding that will be key in recruiting him successfully.

4. J.J. Henry, WR, McKinney North

The IT community won’t likely find a bigger fan of Henry than myself. While Margin Hooks should be credited for having helped develop Henry’s skill set, this dude was born with some gifts. His route running ability, especially his double move, combined with his physical upside makes him an incredibly intriguing prospect. Henry reminds me of a South Florida receiver prospect that comes out of high school with a lot of upside physically. At 5-foot-10.5, 160’ish pounds with a 73-inch wingspan, 4.58 laser forty and 7.15 laser L-cone, Henry is a prospect that will very likely add 15 pounds of muscle to his frame, while also getting faster. Texas needs to win this battle against Texas A&M and Florida State.

5. David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy

The soft Notre Dame verbal is a long shot with Oklahoma considered the favorite. Abiara and Texas are in communication, but this one remains an uphill battle. Broken record here, but continuing to add talent and depth to the defensive line is No. 2 in terms of importance for the program, or any program.

By: @Eric Nahlin

Inside Texas caught up with Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson on Saturday. Johnson is the best between-the-tackles prospect in the last handful of years. But don’t let his ability as an inside runner fool you. He’s more than a volume back with the burst to get outside and hit from deep as well.

He also has a mature outlook when it comes to recruiting and is sticking to the process he outlined early on.

Given his ability, you’d expect a fine list of suitors and he has just that.

Inside Texas: Let’s talk about your top schools. First, what schools are they? And what do you like about each?

LJ Johnson: I’m still considering A&M, Texas, OU is still there, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia.

A&M, being close to home I’ve been there so much. I love the whole staff. I like the players, the facilities, the offense they run. Isaiah Spiller had 1000 yards last year.

Texas, same thing. I talk to everyone on the staff. I talk to Coach Drayton a lot and Bijan Robinson as well. Seeing their offense with Yurcich, he’s had back to back 1000 yard runners, I’m looking forward to that.

OU, I’ve been there once. I like the coaching staff, they’re all young. Demarco Murray played there, he’s played college football and knows what it takes.

LSU, they’re good too. I grew up an LSU fan. They won the National Championship last year. They had Clyde [Edwards-Helaire] go in the first round.

Georgia, they just produce running backs all the time.

Auburn, they really just got involved with Dematrius Davis from North Shore committing. I started really getting to know them a lot more recently. I’ve been talking to Chad Morris a lot lately.

IT: In the past you’ve said you’d like to make a decision after the season. Is that still the case?

LJJ: Right now, I don’t know, it probably won’t be that late. If we have a season it’ll probably be during it. I don’t think I’ll wait until the end.

IT: How have you been keeping with coaches given the current circumstances?

LJJ: I’ve been doing a lot of Zooms and virtual visits, but to make a decision I have to largely go off what I’ve already seen from these schools.

IT: You and UT quarterback commit Jalen Milroe have known each other for a few years. How much is he recruiting you?

LJJ: I talked to Milroe two days ago. We had a training session together. We talk a lot.

IT: I imagine some A&M recruits reach out to you as well. Which ones do you talk to the most from the Aggie class?

LJJ: I talk to Deuce Harmon, Matthew Wykoff, and Eli Stowers. Really just those three.

IT: Is proximity a factor in your decision?

LJJ: I’m not really too worried about that, but from my top schools it will be somewhere in the South.

IT: What’s it going to take for a school to earn your commitment?

LJJ: It’s just that trust factor with me and my family, knowing I’m in the right place. Knowing that I’ll be taken care of — obviously I have to do my part too — but where I can be developed on and off the field. That I’ll have a staff push me. I’m still researching that, talking to players, and learning about all these schools and coaches.

By: @Justin Wells

BEAR ALEXANDER

His mother calls him Keithian, but you must call him Bear. His rules.

When catching up with the 6-foot-3.5, 325-pound defensive tackle target for Texas, it's obvious he's ready to put on the pads.

Alexander transferred from Terrell to Dallas Skyline last summer, but was deemed ineligible by the UIL. After playing junior varsity ball in 2019, he's since moved to Denton Ryan, as his father was added to the Raiders' staff.

A .91 composite four-star, who holds 27 offers from virtually everyone - Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Texas A&M - Alexander is eager to hit someone. As he should.

He came to the ESPN 300 Underclassmen Camp with his own personal expectations.

"I wanted to show people I'm the best," said Alexander. "And for the most part I wanted to show off my speed, how I move in tight spaces, and bend the corner."

After mauling junior varsity children last fall, he's eager to hit the big boys.

"This year (At Ryan), I plan on getting after it," Alexander explained. "I have to reprove myself and show I can be the best. Moving in tight spaces and demolishing everything in my way. That chip on my shoulder."

In recruiting, he hears from "everyone," but what is the message coming from Austin?

"I talk to Texas all the time," Alexander said. "Coach Giles and coach Herman have my best interest at heart, and they make sure to get the best out of their players."

This dude will be playing on the same line at Ryan as UT pledge Ja'Tavion Sanders this fall. Good lawdt.

COLE HUTSON

Playing collegiate sports just runs in the family for the Hutsons.

His dad, Scott, played baseball at Arizona State, and Cole hopes to follow in his father's footsteps. Not necessarily on the diamond or in Tempe, AZ, but on the gridiron.

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, the Frisco 2022 o-lineman holds 11 offers, like OU, Texas A&M, TCU, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri. While it's early in his pursuit, he's making a big impression on college staffs across the country.

He's a three-sport athlete in football, baseball, and track & field (shot put, discus), while being named first-team all-district at OG as a sophomore.

"A lot of the schools are the same to me because it's so early in the process," said Hutson. "I talk to Texas a lot. Every week or every other week. I love talking to coach Hand. He teaches me a lot of stuff. I talk to the Arizona schools a lot. Penn State, OU, just more and more."

It's hard to keep up?

"I keep a little calendar so I know who and when to call each week," Huston said. "I sent a text before to make sure we can talk."

Huston is handling his recruitment like a pro, which makes sense since his father was a professional athlete. Things do run in the family.

Today, Texas looks stout for the up-and-coming Frisco native. Just have to keep chopping wood.

RYAN LENGYEL

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound offensive line prospect from Dallas Jesuit made a journey to Austin on Friday. Again, dead period rules apply.

Him and his father got to see campus and get a feel for the ATX atmosphere. They spoke with a few coaches throughout the day and left with a Texas offer.

"It was great to see campus," said Lengyel. "I hadn't been in a really long time."

What's the most important factor in Lengyel's pursuit?

"A place where I feel at home and the football program has a good culture and the right kind of people on the team," Lengyel said.

His versatility is something coach Hand is very fond of. He can play tackle or slide inside to guard in a pinch.

"With my length, a lot of coaches see me playing tackle," said Lengyel. "But I will play where I am needed."

I asked him if Texas had an edge after the visit.

"No comment," Lengyel said, while laughing. "I always wanted to say that."

Culture fit, offensive line need, upside along the line. This one might be over pretty soon.

QUICK NOTES:

-Arizona grad transfer LB Tony Fields Jr will make a trip to Austin this week to check out the scenery. It appears to be a UT-Minnesota battle at this point, and I'm told the Gophers have the slight edge. This could be promising, but I'd expect a decision relatively soon. He has to enroll in a few weeks.

2021 LaPorte DT Albert Regis tells me that Texas and Texas A&M are recruiting him the hardest, and as I mentioned in the Humidor, Jimbo's staff might've burned him out after a 3-hour Zoom meeting. I'm giving UT the edge today.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 5

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Ketron Jackson updates recruitment as Texas surges into the lead

Spoiler

Ketron Jackson updates recruitment as Texas surges into the lead

NickHarris

CARROLLTON, Texas — Royse City four-star wide receiver Ketron Jackson has been a hot topic on the recruiting trail in recent weeks.

Jackson recently took a self-guided trip to Austin that helped boost Texas back into his top grouping and the Longhorns have been able to use that momentum to push ahead into the lead.

"I had never really saw the city before," Jackson said about his visit last week. "I had seen the track stadium but this time we went out to [Westlake] and saw the hills and lakes, it was cool. We ate some good barbecue too."

Wide receivers coach Andre Coleman has been in constant communication with Jackson and that relationship is starting to really develop into one of the more solid coach-player relationships that Jackson has.

"We talk almost daily, probably 3-4 times a week," he said. "We just talk about football and about making a business decision and not just based off of feelings and stuff like that."

Also helping push Texas to the front is the commitment of his close friend and Team Grind teammate Phaizon Wilson who made it official with his commitment to Texas on Friday.

"That's been my dog for a while," Jackson said. "We just talked about it and he felt good about it so he committed. I might be behind him, you never know."

Arkansas and TCU continue to push as this roller coaster recruitment has proved that no one will truly be out of the race until he commits. Jackson is still listening and is intrigued about early playing time opportunities at both schools.

"I have good relationships with those coaches," he said. "They both say that I could come out and contribute as a freshman."

Despite Texas getting a knock from Jackson for offering a little bit later than he liked, they still prove to be his dream school as he grew up dreaming of playing in the Burnt Orange.

"They've been my dream school since I was young so it would be a dream if I could go there," he said.

Following discussions with Jackson and sources close to his recruitment, I feel confident in entering a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence score of 7. The successful self-guided visit paired with Wilson's commitment has given Texas a nice cushion ahead of contenders Arkansas and TCU. Jackson said he hopes to decide in "the next few weeks," so it is reasonable to expect a decision in the month of August.

At 6-foot-2, 186 pounds, Jackson is the No. 147 rated recruit in the country for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 26 wide receiver in the country and the No. 24 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, sidis said:

fellas, quick drive-by question...what is the prevailing wisdom on the size of the 2021 class?

27-25 (inverted for obvious reasons)

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I haven't read the Hamilton updated just posted, yet, but I assume Gerry is still working for ESPN and the IT is going to be his side hustle?

Opposite

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, that aggy Zoom call with Regis is quickly moving into great moments in recruiting history. How fucking bored must he have been after the first hour, much less the second and third?

So this should qualify as good news?

image.thumb.png.43fbd276eb8f903ad920c5643255a6db.png

image.thumb.png.8acd86c41bf3c6f376de40efd6bae63c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3