Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Speaking of, Scoop

Good stuff, though I think having Abiara at teh 5th most important recruit is extremely weird. He doesn't seem like a super high ceiling prospect to make him that important and with Turner and Regis already ahead of him and us having 3 DL commits already, I have no clue how Abiara could be the 5th most important. 

I also find it weird that Hamilton praised Harris' change of direction. That might be his weakest aspect and why he's going to have to be an edge rusher, not a ILB. 

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hey @golfclap, BC made a thread just for you!

Man, this just took the BC recruiting for Drayton thing to a whole new level. We gonna see similar threads for Coleman and Giles soon?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hey @golfclap, BC made a thread just for you!

When your coworker does your job for you, a missive. 

Between this and the video that the front office folks put together they are really doing all of the heavy lifting for Stan this cycle. also, props to SweatyGare for the assist. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas pushing the hardest for four-star running back LJ Johnson

Interesting, esp. given all the recent, positive posts about Wheaton. 

Spoiler

Texas pushing the hardest for four-star running back LJ Johnson

MikeRoach

LJ Johnson has been thorough in his approach to recruiting.

The four-star prospect from Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair holds offers from all over the country. Texas is a school that has been recruiting him hard for a while, and Johnson said the contact with Texas is status quo.

“It’s actually really good,” he said. “I’ve been talking a lot lately with everyone on their staff. Coach Drayton, coach Herman and coach Boulware especially. I’ve been talking to all of them a lot.”

For Texas, the pitch is simple. The Longhorns are assembling talent in the running back room and they want Johnson to be the next step.

“Just the fit in the offense,” he said. “With coach Yurcich coming in from Oklahoma State and Ohio State, the offensive scheme is two backs and they’ve had back to back 1,000 yard rushers. With me and Bijan (Robinson) with Jonathon Brooks coming in, it could all work perfect.”

Bijan Robinson has been talking with Johnson and working on recruiting him to Texas. The five-star freshman told Johnson they could be a great combination.

“Really that we can come in and fit in together,” he said. “It’s college football and running backs have short careers. With the wear and tear on your body, you need two backs to do it.”

Johnson’s timeline is something he plans to stick to. He might take some trips to see schools that he hasn’t seen yet and is likely to decide this fall.

“Right now, I’m not really sure,” he said. “I know I’m going to some schools by myself to look. It will probably be during the season if we have one.”

Texas A&M is considered the front runner for Johnson, but Texas is right there with them according to him. Those schools plus a few other powers are all in the mix to land him.

“I wouldn’t say the leader,” he said. “They are at the top, but Texas is right there with them if anything. I’d say those two with LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Oklahoma.”

Out of all the schools recruiting Johnson, he said one stands out as the program pushing the hardest for him at this time.

“I would say Texas is probably pushing the hardest right now,” Johnson said.

At 5-foot-10, 204 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 4 running back in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

3. Albert Regis, DT, La Porte

Give credit to Minnesota for a terrific early evaluation, but the Gophers stood zero chance long term. This uber athletic DT prospect now has Texas and Texas A&M making him a priority, which is an interesting first key recruitment for Mark Hagen with his prior coaching stint in College Station. Regis is the type of defensive tackle that college coaches in a four man front salivate to have the chance to develop — natural strength and athleticism for his size are elite. Regis is not a big fan of recruiting hype and schools over-recruiting him personally, so understanding that will be key in recruiting him successfully.

ah, sounds like a kid that would absolutely LOVE a THREE.HOUR.ZOOM.CALL!

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Man, that aggy Zoom call with Regis is quickly moving into great moments in recruiting history. How fucking bored must he have been after the first hour, much less the second and third?

What do you even talk about for that long? Does Jimbo just make these recruits watch him polish his National Champioship 20-- plaque for three hours? I have so many questions about this call. What time of day do you even have 3 hours to spend on a zoom call especially as a kid during the summer. Why didnt Regis act like his internet went out after an hour? Better have hoped you took a piss before the call started, or was it always scheduled to be 3 hours, if so why and why accept the call? Was there some kind of presentation to present or did they just sit and talk for 3 hours? If there was a presentation, how many Myles Garret and Von Miller highlights did they show while promising Regis he would be an edge rusher. Honestly as a parent, I would have personally hung up after an hour if my child, as a minor, was talking to a grown man for that long...cause at some point it HAD to get pretty fucking weird especially with ol Jimbos cuck past. Just truly bizarre

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I like JJ Henry's HUDL a lot.  I get why JoJo is the top guy, but JJ Henry is going to make some team really, really happy in college. 

The knocks on Henry are size and length of stride for his size, neither of which are particularly correctable on campus. I like him a lot, too. Typically the length of the stride would impact COD or getting out of breaks, and it doesn't seem to as far as I can tell, though it does increase opportunity for blowing a knee.

With Cain in the boat and Texas pushing for Jackson, Henry, and Alexis, I think WR is finally clear. They are looking for positional versatility, so each target at X could play Y, and each target at Z could play Y. Cain/Jackson/Harmon fall into the former and Alexis/Crowdus/Henry fall into the latter. Henry, less so, but only due to height.

Gone are the days of the X specific monster, thank god. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 1

SI ranks 2021 RBs

They like JoJo at RB, left him off the slot list entirely. Cam'Ron made the cut at 10. 

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/si-all-american-ranks-the-top-10-running-backs-in-the-class-of-2021-treveyon-henderson-will-shipley

6. Jojo Earle, Aledo (Texas) High School

5-foot-9.5, 170 pounds

Committed to LSU

SIAA garnered plenty of questions regarding Earle when releasing the inaugural slot receiver rankings, but now his absence on that list should make more sense. Truly the most versatile runner on the list, the future Tiger can line up in the backfield and in the slot interchangeably. In a modern offense, his build and head-turning agility will be utilized in more than one spot but his ability to impact a front-seven from a run defense and coverage standpoint from the backfield could be too intriguing to place at another primary position. Earle is simply dynamic with the football in his hands with great vision, elusiveness and anticipation in tight windows, the type of traits an offensive coordinator builds touches for in each offensive game plan. The true quickness and feel for getting by defenders will help Earle factor into the return game, too. 

__________________________________________________________________________________-

10. Cam’Ron Valdez, Rockdale (Texas) High School

5-foot-10, 187 pounds

Considering Texas Tech, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Nebraska and others

If there are any readers tracking these rankings who prefer an old-school, throwback style, Valdez is your guy. The uncommitted Texan has the vision and downhill ability that would have shined in the I formation years ago, with that combination of quickness and acceleration to carry the ball 20-plus times each time out. Few run with better lean or display more patience in the hole than the rising senior, who also has that fight-for-every-yard grit longtime football fans would appreciate. He is elusive enough to play productive ball in the spread era considering his quickness and footwork. Valdez also showcases true football IQ in setting up blockers as well as would-be tacklers in small windows. 

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Apparently he was promised playing time before committing oh no wow man 

You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you or you're not as good as they thought you are and you're not making it to the field ..... and some coach like  Patterson or Herman or any coach  other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you you're not making it to the field   and Patterson or Herman or anybody other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you or you're not as good as they thought you are and you're not making it to the field ..... and some coach like  Patterson or Herman or any coach  other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you you're not making it to the field   and Patterson or Herman or anybody other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. 

Well, I think his larger complaint is his coach allegedly using both the soft and hard R N-words in front of him.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you you're not making it to the field   and Patterson or Herman or anybody other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you you're not making it to the field   and Patterson or Herman or anybody other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. 

Patterson is a demigod in Fort Worth. Him being forced to publicly come to terms with "White people shouldn't say [n-word]" when he fucks up is fine. The kid seems pretty pissy about his playing time, but that doesn't change the fact that sunshine is the best disinfectant for bad behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well, I think his larger complaint is his coach allegedly using both the soft and hard R N-words in front of him.

I think not. If that was his larger complaint, he should have led and finished with it. He led with what his real problem is. 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

....And then proceeded to use it again,but worse, as a defense. Allegedly. They're both dumb. 

Eh, you know not to say the word, but when you're quoting that person to their face, their words, or maybe sing it in a song, it doesn't make you the Grand fuckin' Wizard who needs to be exposed to the nation. 

like I said, he led with his real issue. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3