Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

....And then proceeded to use it again,but worse, as a defense. Allegedly. They're both dumb. 

Right. This is the recruiting board. Let's not debate the merits of whether the player or the coach are more in the wrong. Let's enjoy the resulting schadenfraude and negative recruit the shit out of TCU for once. 

If you feel compelled to talk about context, there's a place for that and this ain't it:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Right. This is the recruiting board. Let's not debate the merits of whether the player or the coach are more in the wrong. Let's enjoy the resulting schadenfraude and negative recruit the shit out of TCU for once. 

This i can agree with. Gary is the Grand Wizard tbh

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If you feel compelled to talk about context, there's a place for that and this ain't it:

CR;DR

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I hope Carrington's tweet about Drayton is a swift kick to Demarco Murray's nuts.  

honestly it is the kind of thing they should be smoking Murray on while they can...because while we hate on Drayton, his resume is about a million times better than Murray*

*currently

54 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you or you're not as good as they thought you are and you're not making it to the field ..... and some coach like  Patterson or Herman or any coach  other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. You know, I am no fan of Patterson, but sometimes I really hate this kind of stuff. We have no idea what really happened. It's not even a "he said/he said" kind of thing because Patterson won't talk about it.  A butthurt 19 year old who thought he heard something that either a) he didn't  b) the coaches deliberately left vague so that he heard what he wanted to hear or c) he did hear that from them but that's recruiting and coaches will say just about anything to get you to commit and now that they realize they have somebody better than you you're not making it to the field   and Patterson or Herman or anybody other than Saban is answering media questions about it.  It's nonsense.  Freakin' kids need to man up. 

Shake Head GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, NoName said:

honestly it is the kind of thing they should be smoking Murray on while they can...because while we hate on Drayton, his resume is about a million times better than Murray*

*currently

Before today, Patterson had been doing a lot of the heavy lifting on that front for us. Dude haaaates Murray.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NoName said:

*currently

Speaking of fat gare, Texas needs to work on making sure that Murray gets zero running backs that might suggest he's a good coach. Make him prove it by developing 3* kids like Riley never had to at QB.

Ideally, Wheaton to Texas. LJ isn't going to Norman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Little change of subject, but none of the guys whose opinion I typically pay attention to for OL evals like the Legyel take. It'll be interesting to hear what the staff likes about him if it leaks out. Also, I tried to find EJ Smith's senior hudl to watch non-highlights of Lengyel's junior year, but it appears he deleted it. Oh well, trust Herman's evals I suppose, which have mostly been on point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Little change of subject, but none of the guys whose opinion I typically pay attention to for OL evals like the Legyel take. It'll be interesting to hear what the staff likes about him if it leaks out. Also, I tried to find EJ Smith's senior hudl to watch non-highlights of Lengyel's junior year, but it appears he deleted it. Oh well, trust Herman's evals I suppose, which have mostly been on point. 

I don't claim to have any expertise in navigating Hudl so there might be a much better solution, but it looks like his individual game highlights are still out there. So if you're hellbent on watching you can start here and work through the "Recommended for You" section off to the right with more of his games.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8020468/5d7d1eb9478cd30ebc5afbf4

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

told you fucc bois multiple times carrington took over for drayton & now you see it with carringtons tweets

stop doubting carl winslow  ( mainly aimed @ fucc bois like @Fud @Neonmoon )

What exactly did I disagree with you about other than the whole team not boycotting on the eve of the season, you dumb fuck

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

So what's the breakdown on Johnson vs Wheaton? I think Wheaton looks more fluid in his tape, but I don't know shit, so maybe someone else could provide a better analysis. 

This is not an exhaustive analysis, but Johnson is a faster Ingram and Wheaton will either be Chris Johnson or Kevin Grady.

8 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

told you fucc bois multiple times carrington took over for drayton & now you see it with carringtons tweets

stop doubting carl winslow  ( mainly aimed @ fucc bois like @Fud @Neonmoon )

Good shit, man. We certainly appreciate any and all info. Keep it comin

Edited by MuellerHorn

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

As a guard or as a tackle? Wells pretty unequivocally said he's a guard at the college level, and has the potential to be a good one. But if he's our Brockermeyer replacement at left tackle that's an entirely different story.

I’ve given a lot of thought to Wheaton or LJ.  I’ve decided that taking LJ hurts aggy, while landing Wheaton hurts ou. My verdict is that the schaudenfreude of fucking with aggy is worth more than anything related to the ou offense. 
my idea of dealing with ou is to be good enough to beat them.  I wish we’d go back to that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Speaking of fat gare, Texas needs to work on making sure that Murray gets zero running backs that might suggest he's a good coach. Make him prove it by developing 3* kids like Riley never had to at QB.

Ideally, Wheaton to Texas. LJ isn't going to Norman. 

Eh. There’s already plenty of talent there and Riley’s system creates 5 ypc runners almost automatically. Murray’s not going to have to do anything other than wait in order to start selling development/success under him as a coach. 

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

Deferring to Herman’s OL evals has been pretty brutal so far this cycle. I wasn’t a big fan of the Myslinski offer and I’m not too big on this one either. I guess the upside is Wickline also likes Lengyel? It just seems like we’re settling for subpar prospects instead of going out and finding UT quality OL once we missed our top targets. Thankfully, we’ve had like 3 quality classes in a row before this, so we don’t need every single guy we take to pan out, but still, it’s not looking too great right now. 

Edit: I’m also hoping Lengyel is the backup plan for Myslinski, not another take besides him, and hopefully not a tackle. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

They all mentioned the y didn’t they?
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Don't forget about the Rutgers Canadian OL, you glizzy suckers

hand loves this kid & its not hard to see why

maryland michigan st & oklahoma st r all making big moves looks like hand might miss on another ol :( 

hand had an advantage too because of the gc but with the dead period this one started trending away

just have to wade out the hand ol misses until carrington gets involved which should be soon 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

maryland michigan st & oklahoma st r all making big moves looks like hand might miss on another ol :( 

hand had an advantage too because of the gc but with the dead period this one started trending away

just have to wade out the hand ol misses until carrington gets involved which should be soon 

Hard to call it a miss when we haven't actually offered...

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Seems like Sparty might solve that problem for us and force Hand to get over his length obsession (for better or worse) and offer Ezra.

Weren't people saying he's actually 6'1 or is that false? That's a little on the small side unless he has Poona Ford arms and is built like a tank

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

Most people on Rutgers boards (yes, they exist) don’t even consider him committed anymore. I hope Charlie Dickey at Okie Lite doesn’t get him because he’d turn into at least a quality starter there.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

@Halas on InsideTexas is a TXHSFB offensive line coach. He's not very high on Ryan Lengyel... to put it mildly.

And before all the "well look at Cosmi's rating" talk starts, @Halas liked Cosmi a lot.

"No, you see, I'm not being my usual Eeyore self. This random dude on IT is. Totally different."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My guess is the staff doesn't love the length they've gotten at tackle lately, and are going off measurables (shuttle, vert, length), flexibility, frame, and character and are ignoring the whelming tape, thinking they can mold him into a good player long term 

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

@Halas on InsideTexas is a TXHSFB offensive line coach. He's not very high on Ryan Lengyel... to put it mildly.

And before all the "well look at Cosmi's rating" talk starts, @Halas liked Cosmi a lot.

Has this guy given his take on Myslinski, Ezra, and Leyrer?  Was he a fan of Kerstetter?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Gerry Hamilton: Thoughts on the Texas 2021 class

Some quick thoughts and notes on each player committed in the Longhorns 2021 class …

QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins

When I stopped by Tompkins High last year, all of the boxes were checked on Milroe. The best compliment I can give a QB is this … I would trust a team under his leadership. That’s Milroe. All the intangible boxes are checked. Arm talent is easily apparent. Understands how to work, and the work required. Measured 6-1 7/8 without shoes in early January, 192-pounds, 9.25-inch hand, 4.72 laser 40, terrific 4.11 laser shuttle, 7.43 L-cone and 117 inch broad jump. SEC assistant coach on Milroe, “Better athlete than people give him credit for. Has all the intangibles we look for at the position. There is a reason top tier SEC programs tried to flip him.”

RB Jonathan Brooks, Hallettsville

Brooks has the feet in the hole and vision you look for, while understanding he doesn’t play against athletes on his level. Quick starter, flashes jump cut and skip cut ability. Reacts very quick to defenders entering his peripheral vision. Can dart, and make defenders miss. One thing I really like is he does show that he can get the ball to the outside hand, which is key in maximizing runs and ball protection at the next level. Not going to win foot races, but will have to maximize with feet, vision and make you miss in space.

Has some areas he can certainly improve, which give the upside. Can add 15+pounds to frame, and add ample lower body strength. Too upright, and will have to show he can drop pads and hips on contact when talent is neutralized. Gets away with sub-par ball protection at a lower levels on HS FB in Texas. Measured 6-foot-0 without shoes, 187-pounds with 9.5 inch hand in February. Wingspan is 75.75 inches. Quality RB in a two RB class.

WR Casey Cain, Edna Karr

Like his height and ability to time 50-50 balls. Not going to win foot races. Quicker than fast. Can improve initial quickness and movement to maximize off the LOS getting into routes. More of a run and catch receiver when looking ahead at the Power 5 level. Tracks the ball in the air well. Shows ability/understanding to snatch the ball with extension. Legit 6-foot-2 without shoes on. Weighed 182 pounds in early March. 78-inch wing span is ideal for his height. Has been timed in the 4.67-4.7 range. 33-inch vertical. 4.46 best shuttle. 9.25-inch hand. 111-inch broad jump.

TE Juan Davis, Everman

I’m part of the Deion Sanders Prime21 camp every July in Dallas, and Juan Davis arguably had the best hands at an absolutely stacked event last summer. Was 6-foot-2 without shoes and 221 last July. Doesn’t possess great wingspan, so his strong hands and ability to play through contact will be key. Showed good feet and flexibility at our event as well.

TE Gunnar Helm, Cherry Creek

Measured 6-4.5 W/O shoes, 219-pounds, 9.75 inch hands, 79-inch wingspan and laser 4.7 shuttle in February. Has plenty of room to improve explosive ability. A prospect that will add ample lower body strength, and it will likely show in future explosive testing. Not going to win foot races and rip past coverage. Does show good initial quickness, and foot quickness overall. Like his awareness — understanding where his defender is, understanding where he is on the field. Flashes the ability to make difficult catches thrown slightly behind or at the knees without breaking stride.

OG Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor

Like his willingness to play wherever college coaches want him. Like to see a 4.7’ish shuttle for big OL’s, and he has posted a 4.74 shuttle. He has improved the time greatly in the last year or so. 80-inch wingspan is ideal. 6-foot-6 W/O shoes in February. Measured 9.5-inch hand in 2020. Weighed in at 316 pounds in February. Like as a guard at Texas. Reactive/body quickness more that of a successful guard at P5 level. Max effort player. Looks to hit.

OLB/DE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan

The most upside of any commit in the class. Like his hand strength and ball skills on offense. Just makes for a more intriguing prospect on defense. Played his best in the biggest games last season for Ryan. Really good coaching staff, a trusted staff for years on players at Ryan and in D/FW. They are extremely high on Sanders. One coach on staff said Sanders body is “blowing up” in recent weeks/months. Filling out more. 78.5 inch wingspan and 10.0-inch hands. Shows enough power to hold ground. Very good feet and flexibility.

DE Jordon Thomas , Port Arthur Memorial

Have always been a fan of players that come out of the Golden Triangle … even Robert Joseph (sorry to bring up bad memories). Kids are physical for the most part that come out of the area … no Deon Beasley jokes. Not sure Thomas is exceptional at any one thing, but good first step and redirect. Well coached defensively down there. Uses hands well for his age/stage. 6-foot-3 W/O shoes in 2019. Want to see him as a senior following season ending surgery for further confirmation.

OLB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney

Like where Texas is heading in LB recruiting in the 2021 cycle. Harris checks a lot of boxes in terms of frame and athleticism. Was 6-3 W/O shoes, 219-pounds, 82-inch wingspan and 9-inch hand in February. He’s trending in the right direction too in that regard. Up from 207 to 219 in the last year, wingspan up from 80 to 82-inches in same time. Plays quicker/faster than he will test. Good foot quickness. Understands leverage. Aggression on contact.

OLB Morice Blackwell, Arlington Martin

Really good Big 12 space and cover linebacker. Could also be tried inside. Best days way out in front of him from a physical development standpoint. Legit 6-1.5 without shoes. 77-inch wingspan and 9.25-inch hand. Has turned in a best of 4.42 shuttle, but that was more than a year ago. On tape, physically outplays his size. Shows signs of being a knock-back tackler with some hip snap strikes. Plays with his eyes. Ideal reactive quickness. Long arms will be a plus contesting in coverage. Flows to the ball under control.

S J.D. Coffey, Kennedale

Similar to Jerrin Thompson in last years class in terms of frame, but Thompson had better testing numbers at same age. Coffey was 5-11 7/8, 182 in January. Has best of 4.38 shuttle. 9.25-inch hand. If a couple of limitations show up at P5 level, could be lack of ideal wingspan and pure speed. Quicker than fast. Has the physicality and understanding of the position to make up for lack of ideal foot speed. Plays faster than he will test because of good eyes. Attacks downhill very well.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball

One college coach said this about the Texas commit, when looking at a current Texas player … “Physically, very similar to Josh Moore’s frame at the same age.” I concur with that opinion. Ibraheem measured 6-2 and 153-pounds in January. Possesses good, not great length at his height. Quick feet and COD, and it’ shows up in 5-10-5 with a best of 4.23 (In 2019). Plays physically way beyond his current size. Will set edge and attack ball carrier with aggressiveness. Competes for the ball. Can play in both bump man and off coverage. Best football way out in front of him as he adds strength.

CB Jamier Johnson, John Muir

Like Ibraheem, has a lot of room to fill out frame/gain strength. At a February camp, 5-11 W/O shoes, 157 pounds, good length for 5-11 with 74.5-inch wingspan, 4.33 laser-laser shuttle. Plays quicker than he tests. Doesn’t possess elite turn and run speed. What you like about Johnson is his willingness/ability to strike in the run game. Physical mindset. Better in off coverage. Shows good hands and timing playing the ball.

DB/WR/popcorn/peanuts/soft drinks Billy Bowman Jr., Denton Ryan

Bowman is a terrific football player. A true playmaker. Versatility in spades. But let’s just say he’s not Earl Thomas because that’s unlikely, but would you be happy if he ended up being Quandre Diggs’ish? One trait Bowman has that Thomas and Diggs both flashed early on is awareness. Very quick reactor as a DB. Instincts trump testing times. Balls skills are ++. Legit 5-10 W/O shoes on. COD shows up in shuttle testing with low 4.3 more than once.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Oh man this is great.  Satya doesn't need the I'd Pee in Her Butt Board. He's gonna be getting off to this post for a long time. 

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Gerry Hamilton: Thoughts on the Texas 2021 class

In a year with no camps or measurements, this kind of info is gold. Gerry already proving his worth on Day One. We'll be a lot better off with him doing Texas-specific work again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1