Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

ah, now that looks better..but also who posts rankings like that?

their rankings list is posted 100 to 1, so i followed that ranking order as i went down the list and entered the rank number, school and commitment.

i thought it was pretty straightforward?

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, NoName said:

their rankings list is posted 100 to 1, so i followed that ranking order as i went down the list and entered the rank number, school and commitment.

i thought it was pretty straightforward?

It is, just not used to seeing rankings counting down

2 hours ago, Fud said:

-Nahlin/Hamilton having Conner at 48th in state is...interesting.  Nahlin's been awfully critical of our staff's OL recruiting, so I guess it makes sense he rates Conner that low, but it certainly doesn't give him any credibility when it comes to talking about OL evals. I would've been more in line with this around the time he committed to us, but he has improved drastically since then, and his overall projection looks way better than 48th in state at this point. 

-I'm surprised they have Arroyo at 43. Nahlin, especially, was really high on Arroyo earlier on. THis seems too low. 

-Stowers at 42. Both question his throwing and ability to develop as a QB, especially in Jimbo's system.  I do think Stowers has shown enough progress that he'll absolutely be a QB long-term, but Jimbo's system is about the worst fit imaginable for him. Crazy he can't figure that out. 

-Coffey at 41. Agree that he's naturally good at football, but his measurables could really limit him at the next level. I think 247's grade of high 3 start is about right. Maybe low 4 star if he has a good senior season.

-Blackwell at 36: I really like him as a take. Him plus Cooks will be great. 

-Thomas at 35. Nahlin sees a much higher ceiling than Hamilton (or me).  I agree that his senior film will be important, since he didn't play as a junior, but I don't see the explosiveness (either around the edge or at get off) for him to become dominant. I do think he'll become a quality starter and like the take, but he doesn't look like he'll ever be the guy other teams have to account for on our DL, which is fine. 

-Mukuba at 30 is crazy low. 

-Ish at 23. I agree that he's got a slight frame, but he shows the physicality to make up for it at outside CB. I don't think it will be an issue at the college level.  

-JJ Henry at 21.  Both guys are way too high on him. He's good, but he's not elite.  Nahlin makes a good point that he's more of a vertical threat from the slot, which doesn't really match how Herman uses the Y. Maybe that will change some with Yurcich involved, but he doesn't seem like a great fit for our scheme. He'd still be a good take though. Maybe he could make it at Z. 

-Ezra at 19. I wonder if we'll ever get any real answers on the disparity between 995ers and college staffs on this guy. It's one of the stranger disparities I can remember. 

-Preston Stone 18. lulz.

-Earle at 17. Too low by about 10 spots. 

-James Brock at 16. Wow. Just wow. Nahlin continues to show he shouldn't say anything about OL evals. 

- Regis at 13. Definitely a little high, but his upside is through the roof. He could be a rich man's Poona Ford and get drafted way higher because he's 6'1, not 5'11.  

-Sawyer Robertson at 12. aggy will hate their lives for the next 3 years if this is right. Consider me a Sawyer Robertson fan from here on out. 

-Cooks at 11 is pretty high. He's a great player, but I don't see quite that level of impact for him, and in general ILBs just aren't that valuable unless they're the elite of the elite at that spot. 

-3 OL in the top 9 in state, and we will whiff on all of them, so that's fun.  Yet even with 2 of those guys being in the top 6, we have a very real possibility of landing 3 of the top 6 guys in-state on their list, which is big. Outside of the 2018 class, we haven't done well with the top 5 or so guys in-state since Mack's heyday. Even years where we've put together good classes, we tend to miss on the truly elite ones. 

Edit: I also wonder how closely Gerry has been evaluating Texas prospects lately. A lot of his comment seem a little outdated/thoughts that are more in line with guys' sophomore film. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 6

(Nick Harris) Andrew Mukuba updates the latest with Texas and Clemson

CARROLLTON, Texas — Dallas-based 7-on-7 club team Team Flex made their final trip of their 7-on-7 campaign to Carrollton on Saturday to compete at Pylon's Lone Star Showdown. Making the drive up from Austin to compete one last time in arguably the most stacked secondary in 7-on-7 (Ishmael Ibraheem, JD Coffey, Deuce Harmon, Chase Lowery), Andrew Mukuba proved to be a force up top from the safety position during pool play.

Mukuba's recruitment has been a bit of a whirlwind during the pandemic as Clemson, LSU and Texas are all recruiting him hard as a top priority. "With Texas, everything is pretty good," Mukuba said. "I talk to Coach [Chris] Ash and Coach [Tom] Herman a lot. Conversations with them are pretty good. Sometimes we get to talk ball but most of the time, we just talk about what's going on in the world and how I'm doing."

Being just a short 20 minute drive from the UT campus, Mukuba has seen and been around the program a number of times in recent years, and if the NCAA does not allow visits into the fall, that may end up being a huge advantage for Texas in this recruitment. "It's nice and there's a lot to do in Austin," he said. "I like the changes they're making to the stadium and they let the players speak up. I really like that."

Clemson is also hard on Mukuba as they are the only other school aside from Texas and Oklahoma with a Crystal Ball Prediction. "I talk to Coach [Mickey] Conn and Coach [Brent] Venables a lot," he said. "I talk to Coach [Dabo] Swinney here and there. They're just open-minded people and they tell me what they're going to do with me when I get there. [Coach Venables] is just crazy with the defense."

If visits do open back up, he will certainly visit Clemson and LSU, but if not, he will have to make the decision based on what he has seen through virtual visits and Zoom meetings. "I'm just waiting on the NCAA to see what they do," Mukuba said. "If not, I'm just going to have to make the decision based on the facts and what I know about each of the schools."

At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, Mukuba is the No. 237 rated recruit in the country for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 12 safety and the No. 40 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Conner being so low on that Nahlin/Gerry list was the first thing that stuck out at me. Especially having James Brock 30 spots ahead of him.

Also, I bet Leach taking a solid 4-star QB out of Coronado sticks in Tech fans' craw just a little bit.

Nahlin just flat out doesn't agree with the staff on a lot this year. Once IT's pet East Texas players (good as they are) went OOS and the staff prioritized Myslinski over Ezra they went full emo and haven't come back.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nahlin just flat out doesn't agree with the staff on a lot this year. Once IT's pet East Texas players (good as they are) went OOS and the staff prioritized Myslinski over Ezra they went full emo and haven't come back.

His obsession and infatuation with Blake Brockermeyer is extremely weird too

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

-Cooks at 11 is pretty high. He's a great player, but I don't see quite that level of impact for him, and in general ILBs just aren't that valuable unless they're the elite of the elite at that spot. 

He's in the 6-8* tier range for me. ILB's like him who have the athleticism to cover slots, backs out of the backfield, spy athletic QBs, and chase runners down towards the sidelines while still already being good at box linebacker stuff are ranked high for me

Tommy, Ja'Tavian

Donovan, Earle, Bowman

Cooks, Landon, Turner 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Chris Murray at 31? Bruh. Stahp.  Jonathon Jones not on the top 100. Perfect chance for them to show up the other 9.95ers, but I guess that will remain Surly's job. Nahlin's bitchassedness is outweighing any attempt at logic all over that list. Piggybacking on what @Burt Macklin covered - his OL evals are just horrid. but let's look at a few other comments that made me lol. 

On Sturdivant ::

Sturdivant profiles to being a complete receiver with gamebreaking ability. 

4.67 40 - 4.31 shuttle -- 87 rec 10 TD -- he's a productive WR. He is NOT a gamebreaker. 

Ahmonte Watkins ::

Nahlin: A move-in from Louisiana who plays running back but I’d try to flip him to corner. Good quickness, feet, and fluidity.

4.76 shuttle. FOUR DOT SEVEN SIX. GTFO Nahlin. Fucking hell. 

both of them grasping for any reason to rate Abiara as high as they did. There's not a reason. Every ranking service looking for some reason, unsure how any of them landed here. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Once IT's pet East Texas players 

I really really like a lot of the IT content, writers etc, and out of the 9.95ers they are my preference, but this always bugged the shit out of me.  Anything even remotely considered East Texas, and Wells (and to a lesser extent Nahlin) just obsess over it for the entire cycle.

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

His obsession and infatuation with Blake Brockermeyer is extremely weird too

Lots of people have infatuations with Blake. I myself am completely infatuated with the idea of him being violently buttfucked by bear with a sword for a dick, and then given repeated mouthwash enemas. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Haha, truly. Comparing two players at different positions is tough but in a vacuum is there a coaching staff in the country that would use their last scholarship on James over JoJo Earle?

Not unless Tommy took the second to last scholarship.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of people have infatuations with Blake. I myself am completely infatuated with the idea of him being violently buttfucked by bear with a sword for a dick, and then given repeated mouthwash enemas. Fuck him. 

This is exactly the kind of reasonable, mentally-stable content I've come to know and expect from you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1