Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I never thought I would start to miss EJ pumping 7on7 mercenaries but IT’s 9.95 Snark is getting me there. It’s like if Scipio’s little brothers started a site. 

Scipio was/is good at staying just-this-side of mean. Wells, well...

Edited by texifornia

52 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We got any more of them Carringtons on staff that can help Herb out?

image.png.b481c4b774f6e1371d926bc8b2e9683e.png

*I really like the late-risers pickups like Hookfin and Karic - but I hadn't realized that the only top OL prospect Herb grabbed was Tyler Johnson

Well of course, everything looks bad if you remember it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Foster and his brother on tilt again -- lots of worry about ranking. Lots of Meador pushing the anywhere but UT angle. 

the tape doesn't lie though. If you watch Hayden Conner's HUDL you can see Foster get beat or often give minimal effort - hell, the first 7-8 plays on Conner's hudl is a cautionary tale to Foster's athleticism/strength vs actual production. I feel like I remember that he makes like 1 block in those first 7 or 8 plays. Gets beat in 2-3 and simply doesn't touch a soul in a couple. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Foster and his brother on tilt again -- lots of worry about ranking. Lots of Meador pushing the anywhere but UT angle. 

the tape doesn't lie though. If you watch Hayden Conner's HUDL you can see Foster get beat or often give minimal effort - hell, the first 7-8 plays on Conner's hudl is a cautionary tale to Foster's athleticism/strength vs actual production. I feel like I remember that he makes like 1 block in those first 7 or 8 plays. Gets beat in 2-3 and simply doesn't touch a soul in a couple. 

That's a prettyyyy douchey post there, Bryce. Just keep your head down and prove it, man.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We got any more of them Carringtons on staff that can help Herb out?

image.png.b481c4b774f6e1371d926bc8b2e9683e.png

*I really like the late-risers pickups like Hookfin and Karic - but I hadn't realized that the only top OL prospect Herb grabbed was Tyler Johnson

Meh. I’d be interested to see someone go back and chart the accuracy of 9.95er rankings, but I’d be willing to be that OL rankings are by far the most inaccurate, so star hunting at OL is foolish. Jaylen Garth was also a top 100 prospect being recruited by every school in the country when he committed to us. His ranking only dropped due to his knee injury making him miss his whole senior year. 

I also don’t find that chart very damning. 8/10 OL Hand has signed were 4 stars. An 80% blue chip ratio is elite. Not to mention there’s usually not a ton of highly ranked OL each year in state, and we’ve intentionally (and probably rightly) passed on higher ranked OL almost every year. 

Based on a quick skim of the rankings, we signed 3 of the top 6 OL in TX for 2019 and 3 of the top 6 in 2020 (and that includes Crawford who everyone passes on, Lindberg who had a weird recruitment, and Akinola, who we reportedly didn’t let commit). Obviously 2021 isn’t going so well, but this year is the outlier by far. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's a prettyyyy douchey post there, Bryce. Just keep your head down and prove it, man.

No joke. Especially for a guy who doesn’t dominate on a play-by-play basis. Not a great mindset for him to have, especially when his production is so much lower than his talent level. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I also don’t find that chart very damning. 8/10 OL Hand has signed were 4 stars. An 80% blue chip ratio is elite. Not to mention there’s usually not a ton of highly ranked OL each year in state, and we’ve intentionally (and probably rightly) passed on higher ranked OL almost every year. 

Excuse me, but missing on Darrell Simpson was inexcusable. He's almost 400lbs so he's literally immovable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

No joke. Especially for a guy who doesn’t dominate on a play-by-play basis. Not a great mindset for him to have, especially when his production is so much lower than his talent level. 

I was wrong. It's not the first 8 plays. It's basically all 5 minutes of Conner's video. The number of plays where Foster blocks absolutely no one is kind of incredible. Watch this HUDL and just find #74 before each snap and tell me that he has any reason to be saying this nonsense. (or has any reason to be rated in the top 30 in the state). 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8972226/5d88c87e478d570ec8e70461

Also, I am amped all over again about Conner. They can downplay him and shit up his rankings all they want - that dude can play football. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Pardon my ignorance, but would one of you please enlighten me as to what a degree in University Studies translates to?

I laughed and then hit the google machine ::

"The University Studies-Leadership (USAL/LED) degree is an interdisciplinary program requiring the completion of 120 semester credit hours with a concentration of 26 hours of leadership studies and two 15-18 credit hour minors. The University Studies Degree format was created to provide the student the flexibility to combine areas of study that are of special interest. In the leadership studies concentration, students learn theories and models of the leadership process and they use analysis and evaluation to synthesize multiple leadership theories. This interdisciplinary program allows students the ability to customize their higher education experience to their future career goals.  The student, with support from an USAL/LED advisor, will choose minors to assist them in creating a degree plan that will allow students to gain the knowledge and skills required for their chosen career path."

that honestly clarifies nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It appears that it means that you can get a job working for a fellow aggy at Insight Global as an IT recruiter. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I was wrong. It's not the first 8 plays. It's basically all 5 minutes of Conner's video. The number of plays where Foster blocks absolutely no one is kind of incredible. Watch this HUDL and just find #74 before each snap and tell me that he has any reason to be saying this nonsense. (or has any reason to be rated in the top 30 in the state). 

Also, I am amped all over again about Conner. They can downplay him and shit up his rankings all they want - that dude can play football. 

Yep. Foster is legitimately not very good at football right now, which is definitely a bit of a red flag. It's not like he's a super raw kid from a small, rural program.  He should be better based on his natural abilities. 

Compare Conner's sophomore and junior film. He made a huge leap between seasons and it looks like that's continued this offseason. His agility and flexibility has really improved. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I laughed and then hit the google machine ::

"The University Studies-Leadership (USAL/LED) degree is an interdisciplinary program requiring the completion of 120 semester credit hours with a concentration of 26 hours of leadership studies and two 15-18 credit hour minors. The University Studies Degree format was created to provide the student the flexibility to combine areas of study that are of special interest. In the leadership studies concentration, students learn theories and models of the leadership process and they use analysis and evaluation to synthesize multiple leadership theories. This interdisciplinary program allows students the ability to customize their higher education experience to their future career goals.  The student, with support from an USAL/LED advisor, will choose minors to assist them in creating a degree plan that will allow students to gain the knowledge and skills required for their chosen career path."

that honestly clarifies nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It appears that it means that you can get a job working for a fellow aggy at Insight Global as an IT recruiter. 

Daddy98 career path.  It all makes sense now.

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Meh. I’d be interested to see someone go back and chart the accuracy of 9.95er rankings, but I’d be willing to be that OL rankings are by far the most inaccurate, so star hunting at OL is foolish. Jaylen Garth was also a top 100 prospect being recruited by every school in the country when he committed to us. His ranking only dropped due to his knee injury making him miss his whole senior year. 

Based on a quick skim of the rankings, we signed 3 of the top 6 OL in TX for 2019 and 3 of the top 6 in 2020 (and that includes Crawford who everyone passes on, Lindberg who had a weird recruitment, and Akinola, who we reportedly didn’t let commit). Obviously 2021 isn’t going so well, but this year is the outlier by far. 

Thanks for providing context to my shitty spreadsheet.

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He looks like he's treating it like a walk-through.  He doesn't even attempt to take anyone to the ground or finish the play.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Is he sure he doesn't want to go to aggy?

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

How does Conner look when watching Foster's hudl?

16 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

We're getting a vaguely underwhelming white private school center whose dad has NFL ties one way or another this cycle!

Seriously, though, his offer list and aggression give me hope that he'll put in the work and git gud.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're getting a vaguely underwhelming white private school center whose dad has NFL ties one way or another this cycle!

Seriously, though, his offer list and aggression give me hope that he'll put in the work and git gud.

I don't see much difference between him and James Brock.  Myslinksi is aggressive, fires off the ball, and even has some DL highlights.   I don't know the measurements or how he looked in camps, but I'd even say he's underrated just based off hudl highlights.

It's the Lengyel as the Tommy B. replacement that's going to sting. 

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2