Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Fascinating list. It looks like 11 is where basketball schools start. Everyone hates the SECSECSEC could probably be replaced with no one cares about the SEC, apparently. Either that, or there's a significant portion of their fan base without internet in rural Bumfuck. There are a few things that could change national perception about the top heavy SEC, but NIL considerations driving 5*s to Texas and the West coast feels like one of the more likely, significant contributors. 

Also, Grambling at 16 is pulling serious HBCU weight. 

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of people have infatuations with Blake. I myself am completely infatuated with the idea of him being violently buttfucked by bear with a sword for a dick, and then given repeated mouthwash enemas. Fuck him. 

so you're a moderate?

I was thinking of something more severe

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Quick rankings snapshot:

top3.png

utoutamu.png

Adding Jaden Alexis, Ryan Lengyel, Ketron Jackson and Terrance Cooks who all look likely to jump in before the end of August brings us to 252.68 with 20 commits good for 8th which isn’t ideal but isn’t awful either. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If you were searching for the best insider tidbit in the 2021 cycle, look no further. Re: Myslinky's dad:

spacer.png

So Myslinky's dad torpedoed Texas for the Brocks so that his kid could get an inside track to being the C of this class? That's long game genius shit.

Or maybe M's dad told Blake that Hand had Michael as the #1 C on the list and pissed off Blake.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That avg ranking needs a little BOMC boost.

Myslinksi is a 79 on ESPN (highest 3* grade) and recently got boosted on Rivals, but his composite has only been updated once since those 2 so he should go up a bit when they factor in one of those.  Cooks and Alexis are 4*'s on ESPN, but no idea if those have been updated on composite.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So Myslinky's dad torpedoed Texas for the Brocks so that his kid could get an inside track to being the C of this class? That's long game genius shit.

Or maybe M's dad told Blake that Hand had Michael as the #1 C on the list and pissed off Blake.

No, no. When Myslinky Sr. was in college at Tennessee, he hosted Blake Brockermeyer, the recruit, on his official visit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Is Zach Shackleford a good comp for Myslinky? Good technique, smart player, but lacks size and won't be able to add enough strength to dominate?

Poor Shack got hamstrung by not being able to redshirt and the attendant constant injuries and struggle to keep weight on. Myslinski should be able to get that critical development year (not that I have much of an idea of who's playing C next year - Ghirmai if he figures it out?)

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How do we even know that Tommy Brockermeyer is even that good?  His competition is shit and isn’t he recovering from a shoulder injury?  That seems to be a very bad injury to come back from for linemen.  Killed Pickryl’s career for us.  Boselli also never played a down for the Texans.  Historically, it seems like recruiting rankings are extremely volatile when it comes to offensive linemen as well.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

How do we even know that Tommy Brockermeyer is even that good?  His competition is shit and isn’t he recovering from a shoulder injury?  That seems to be a very bad injury to come back from for linemen.  Killed Pickryl’s career for us.  Boselli also never played a down for the Texans.  Historically, it seems like recruiting rankings are extremely volatile when it comes to offensive linemen as well.

He's been an absolute beast at camps, which usually make OL look silly. Dude can ball.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Well, because he was the best OL at camps as a soph. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

Adding Jaden Alexis, Ryan Lengyel, Ketron Jackson and Terrance Cooks who all look likely to jump in before the end of August brings us to 252.68 with 20 commits good for 8th which isn’t ideal but isn’t awful either. 

I don't know how many commits we're taking but 252.68 is good for 15th historically. We ain't staying in Top 10 unless we buck up to over 270

20 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I like his hudl even better.  One of those WR's who once they get the ball in their hand turns into a RB.  His HS seemed to use him similar to how we used Devin - a lot of short throws and WR screens to get the ball in his hands and let him grind out yards.

After Earle, he's my favorite Y WR of all our targets.  Herman's shown that he can get the ball in the hands of the Y, regardless of what type of receiver plays there. The most important factor for that position is being able to gain yards after the catch and Alexis fits that mold.  I also hope that Smith and Whittington can stay healthy. Both those guys could terrorize defenses from the slot if they can stay on the field. 

One of Yurcich's calling cards is formational versatility, which is obviously the polar opposite of Herman. We'll know right away how much say Yurcich has in this offense based on whether we go 11 99% of the time or actually mix things up to match our personnel.  It'll be a really good sign if we start to see a lot more 10 and 20 personnel. Using the 20 with the ability to motion Whittington or Bijan to the slot opposite Smith would be fantastic. 

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't know how many commits we're taking but 252.68 is good for 15th historically. We ain't staying in Top 10 unless we buck up to over 270

He literally said the 252.68 would be with 20 commits in the post you quoted. We're not taking only 20 commits this cycle, and he wasn't factoring in higher rated targets like Shemar or one of the RBs. If you add those two guys in to the four mentioned above, then we're at 270.23 with only 22 commits. 

There's also been at least one team with a score of under 270 3 of the last 4 years, so you're 270 benchmark isn't right either.  Plus, this year is shaking out to be extremely top heavy, so I'd guess there will be one or two classes that are well under 270 that make it in the top 10. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Is Zach Shackleford a good comp for Myslinky? Good technique, smart player, but lacks size and won't be able to add enough strength to dominate?

Not really. Shack has always been soft as fuck and unable to anchor.  He was more of a finesse player who tried to not get beat rather than actually win the battle with the guy lined up across from him.  Myslinski is a junkyard dog out there, but he has questions regarding his frame/playing size. He is able to generate explosion and push, though. If he can comfortably get to a playing weight of 300, then a lot of his questions are answered. Shack could've been 330 and still wouldn't be winning reps or anchoring well.  

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

IT compared him to Parker Braun.

That's not a bad comparison, though I don't think Myslinski is quite the athlete Braun was. Hopefully Myslinski can get a little bigger than him, though. 

23 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well, because he was the best OL at camps as a soph. 

21 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Was that before his injury or after?

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Ahh yes, camps where the players don’t even wear pads...

Y'all need to stop it with the "is Tommy Brockermeyer actually good?" nonsense. He has everything you'd want in a prototypical LT and had offers from every single school in the country for a reason.  His shoulder injury delayed his physical development, but there's been nothing reported that would give reason to believe it will hinder him in the future. 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ian Boyd is less than thrilled.

spacer.png

Ian's OL evals are some of his absolute worst. He can't ever get past the type of blocking scheme the recruit's HS runs.  Myslinski was being heavily recruited by some really good OL evaluators.  I'll trust them over Ian Boyd any day of the week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He literally said the 252.68 would be with 20 commits in the post you quoted. We're not taking only 20 commits this cycle, and he wasn't factoring in higher rated targets like Shemar or one of the RBs. There's also been at least one team with a score of under 270 3 of the last 4 years, so you're 270 benchmark isn't right either.  Plus, this year is shaking out to be extremely top heavy, so I'd guess there will be one or two classes that are well under 270 that make it in the top 10. 

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

And I literally said I don't know how many commits we're taking. I pulled 270 out of my ass as a ballpark, but after doing some research on the Top 10 numbers, the average is 267.0982 so I was pretty fucking close for going off the cuff. But you're right, we're obviously taking more than 20

Sorry I've had three cups of coffee in the past two hours and feel like fighting bears with chopsticks. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That's just the guys we think are likely to fall. You still have Camar Wheaton, LJ, Shemar Turner as possibilities, and some other class fillers. I believe others have said we COULD take as many as 27 or 28 this class, if we wanted, isn't that correct?

• Like 1

So who are the remaining targets?  Say we take 25

Expected commits:

T. Cooks OLB

Jaden Alexis WR

Ketron Jackson WR

Ryan Lengyel OT

Still Working:

JJ Henry  WR

Shemar Turner DE (video awaiting distributor)

LJ Johnson RB

Camar Wheaton RB

Albert Regis DT/TE

Haven't Given Up on the Flip:

JoJo Earle WR

Landon Jackson DE

Brockermeyers

Unlikely:

Bryce Foster OG

Savion Byrd OT

Marcus Burris DE

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

After Earle, he's my favorite Y WR of all our targets.  Herman's shown that he can get the ball in the hands of the Y, regardless of what type of receiver plays there. T

Maybe I am confused or Yurcich does it different, but I thought the Y was the TE and the H is the slot. Has that changed?

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not really. Shack has always been soft as fuck and unable to anchor.  He was more of a finesse player who tried to not get beat rather than actually win the battle with the guy lined up across from him.  Myslinski is a junkyard dog out there, but he has questions regarding his frame/playing size. He is able to generate explosion and push, though. If he can comfortably get to a playing weight of 300, then a lot of his questions are answered. Shack could've been 330 and still wouldn't be winning reps or anchoring well. 

He got soft after suffering injuries during his early seasons. But his HUDL highlights were full of plays where he blew up the guy in front of him, in fact he would get PFs because he kept going after them through the whistle. Also, IIRC he played left tackle in HS so getting thrown into the fire at center was a tough adjustment.

• Hook 'Em 1