So who are the remaining targets?  Say we take 25

Expected commits:

T. Cooks OLB

Jaden Alexis WR

Ketron Jackson WR

Ryan Lengyel OT

Still Working:

JJ Henry  WR

Shemar Turner DE (video awaiting distributor)

LJ Johnson RB

Camar Wheaton RB

Albert Regis DT/TE

Haven't Given Up on the Flip:

JoJo Earle WR

Landon Jackson DE

Brockermeyers

Unlikely:

Bryce Foster OG

Savion Byrd OT

Marcus Burris DE

Ike Iwunnah's probably below Regis on the "Still Working" chart

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ian Boyd is less than thrilled.

spacer.png

Ian Boyd is a guy who talks about X's and O's. And depending on who you ask here, opinions vary on how fucking good he is at that. But that motherfucker will word vomit you 5k words on a subject, so he'll create content. But trying to listen to him on roster development and recruiting is like listening to Vic Mackey give his opinions on the attractiveness of Fit women, or like listening to Stan Drayton give a lecture on volume recruiting. You're a smart guy, so when you do shit like this I can only assume you're willfully trying to Wescott Ebbert this board. Stop it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He got soft after suffering injuries during his early seasons. But his HUDL highlights were full of plays where he blew up the guy in front of him, in fact he would get PFs because he kept going after them through the whistle. Also, IIRC he played left tackle in HS so getting thrown into the fire at center was a tough adjustment.

So you're suggesting it's uncommon for a D1 level talent, regardless of stars, to routinely have video on his HUDL of him blowing up guys in front of him? And that this is special and the most important part of evaluating a guy's HUDL?

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe others have said we COULD take as many as 27 or 28 this class, if we wanted, isn't that correct?

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

28 is the number available. 

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If we add:

T. Cooks OLB

Jaden Alexis WR

Ketron Jackson WR

Ryan Lengyel OT

Shemar Turner DE

LJ Johnson RB

Albert Regis DT

23 Commits - Score: 270.57

That would be a class breakdown of one(1) 5*, twelve(12) 4*'s, and ten(10) 3*'s if nobody moves up/down.  

Mukuba and Ike could be added to the class.

Ian's OL evals are some of his absolute worst. He can't ever get past the type of blocking scheme the recruit's HS runs.  Myslinski was being heavily recruited by some really good OL evaluators.  I'll trust them over Ian Boyd any day of the week. 

Always appreciate your posts. I hope you don’t mind if I ask where did you get your bonafides on this stuff?

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's just the guys we think are likely to fall. You still have Camar Wheaton, LJ, Shemar Turner as possibilities, and some other class fillers. I believe others have said we COULD take as many as 27 or 28 this class, if we wanted, isn't that correct?

Fields added would make it 28 max, although spots you take in this class take away from potential 2022 spots or future transfers, so I doubt they use all of those spots 

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's just the guys we think are likely to fall. You still have Camar Wheaton, LJ, Shemar Turner as possibilities, and some other class fillers. I believe others have said we COULD take as many as 27 or 28 this class, if we wanted, isn't that correct?

It's hard to say with all the potential transfers in and out, but Fields would drop that number by at least 1 and I can't remember if Barron also drops that or not. I hope we don't take that many as we just dont seem have that many good prospects left on our board, but seeing how small the 2020 class was, I'd guess we take at least 24. Unless the staff just doesn't think they can identify enough guys without senior film. 

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Maybe I am confused or Yurcich does it different, but I thought the Y was the TE and the H is the slot. Has that changed?

I think you're right regarding how Herman refers to it, but traditionally the 3 WR spots are called X, Y, and Z, so I was using that terminology, not Herman specific. We've had so many scheme changes in the last 5 years, I have trouble remembering how our OCs and DCs refer to specific positions. Hell, our defense has called a pass-rushing outside LB like 50 different names in the last ten years. Buck, Rover, Joker, Jack, Jill, fuck lion. It's all the same.

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He got soft after suffering injuries during his early seasons. But his HUDL highlights were full of plays where he blew up the guy in front of him, in fact he would get PFs because he kept going after them through the whistle. Also, IIRC he played left tackle in HS so getting thrown into the fire at center was a tough adjustment.

His hudl highlights had him driving a guy into the ground late, but he didn't have a lot of tape attacking from the start of the play. He was always a guy who had weak initial contact with the DL. In HS, he could still drive his man into the ground with that, but it was never going to work that way in college. Injuries were not the reason for that.  Even when ful

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If we add:

T. Cooks OLB

Jaden Alexis WR

Ketron Jackson WR

Ryan Lengyel OT

Shemar Turner DE

LJ Johnson RB

Albert Regis DT

Score: 270.57

There's also quite a few of those guys who will get bumps. Cooks, Alexis, and Regis are guarntees to move up a good bit, and I'd bet if Lengyel commits to us or really any P5 program, he'll get a bump just for that. 

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Expected commits:

T. Cooks OLB

Jaden Alexis WR

Ketron Jackson WR

Ryan Lengyel OT

Still Working:

JJ Henry  WR

Shemar Turner DE (video awaiting distributor)

LJ Johnson RB

Camar Wheaton RB

Albert Regis DT/TE

Haven't Given Up on the Flip:

JoJo Earle WR

Landon Jackson DE

Brockermeyers

Unlikely:

Bryce Foster OG

Savion Byrd OT

Marcus Burris DE

I'd break it down more by position:

QB: Done

RB: 1 (Wheaton/LJ)

WR: 2-3 (Alexis, Jackson, maybe Henry or another speed guy)

TE: Done

OL: 2-3 (LT and one more interior OL, IMO)

DL: 2 (Turner/Regis/Ike). Maaaybe 3 if Turner wants in late after nabbing Regis and Ike.

LB: 1 (Cooks). Maaaybe 2 if we could flip Williams from AZ St.

DB: 1 (probably safety, either Mukuba or his backup plan.) Maybe 2 if there's a CB or S really high on our board late. 

So that would put us at 25 on the low end and 28 ish on the high end. Maybe we drop below 25 if recruiting goes very poorly, but I doubt it. It's not going to be an incredible class from a quality per recruit perspective and will probably be our lowest since 2018, though 2019 might be worse once you factor in attrition. We've lost a ton of guys from that class. Still though, 2021 will be a quality class you can win a ton of games with if you're not a shit coaching staff (gulp), and it will have some absolute studs, like Sanders, Bowman, Milroe, maybe Turner and a RB, that could really elevate the class as a whole. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think you're right regarding how Herman refers to it, but traditionally the 3 WR spots are called X, Y, and Z, so I was using that terminology, not Herman specific. We've had so many scheme changes in the last 5 years, I have trouble remembering how our OCs and DCs refer to specific positions. Hell, our defense has called a pass-rushing outside LB like 50 different names in the last ten years. Buck, Rover, Joker, Jack, Jill, fuck lion. It's all the same.

Agreed. I was just checking to make sure I had not missed something. 

and its a goddamned DE not a fucking outside LB. I know Orlando's was truly more of a hybrid in the really fucking stupid way he used it but under everyone else it has been a DE who occasionally drops when we zone blitz from a different and TOTALLY unexpected place. anyways, thanks for the follow up.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's hard to say with all the potential transfers in and out, but Fields would drop that number by at least 1 and I can't remember if Barron also drops that or not. I hope we don't take that many as we just dont seem have that many good prospects left on our board, but seeing how small the 2020 class was, I'd guess we take at least 24. Unless the staff just doesn't think they can identify enough guys without senior film. 

The max theoretical number is 28, which is after Fields, Black, and Barron are added to the total. I think taking 25 makes sense (unless elite guys want in late) it leaves a +3 in 2022 for a bigger class and/or more transfers 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

His hudl highlights had him driving a guy into the ground late, but he didn't have a lot of tape attacking from the start of the play. He was always a guy who had weak initial contact with the DL. In HS, he could still drive his man into the ground with that, but it was never going to work that way in college. Injuries were not the reason for that.  Even when ful

There's also quite a few of those guys who will get bumps. Cooks, Alexis, and Regis are guarntees to move up a good bit, and I'd bet if Lengyel commits to us or really any P5 program, he'll get a bump just for that. 

I'd break it down more by position:

QB: Done

RB: 1 (Wheaton/LJ)

WR: 2-3 (Alexis, Jackson, maybe Henry or another speed guy)

TE: Done

OL: 2-3 (LT and one more interior OL, IMO)

DL: 2 (Turner/Regis/Ike). Maaaybe 3 if Turner wants in late after nabbing Regis and Ike.

LB: 1 (Cooks). Maaaybe 2 if we could flip Williams from AZ St.

DB: 1 (probably safety, either Mukuba or his backup plan.) Maybe 2 if there's a CB or S really high on our board late. 

So that would put us at 25 on the low end and 28 ish on the high end. Maybe we drop below 25 if recruiting goes very poorly, but I doubt it. It's not going to be an incredible class from a quality per recruit perspective and will probably be our lowest since 2018, though 2019 might be worse once you factor in attrition. We've lost a ton of guys from that class. Still though, 2021 will be a quality class you can win a ton of games with if you're not a shit coaching staff (gulp), and it will have some absolute studs, like Sanders, Bowman, Milroe, maybe Turner and a RB, that could really elevate the class as a whole. 

So we going to process out Cain the WR? and Where's Blackwell the LB? I know Harris is a LB but seems to be projected as a DE.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Agreed. I was just checking to make sure I had not missed something. 

and its a goddamned DE not a fucking outside LB. I know Orlando's was truly more of a hybrid in the really fucking stupid way he used it but under everyone else it has been a DE who occasionally drops when we zone blitz from a different and TOTALLY unexpected place. anyways, thanks for the follow up.

I prefer to just refer to the position as edge, regardless of 2 point or 3 point stance. Every coach calls it something different. Ash usually uses a true 4 down, but he's now changing his scheme this year to accommodate Ossai, so we actually will be use a pass-rushing outside LB at the "Jack" position. So functionally, we're running a 4-2-5, but technically running a 3-3-5, but this shit gets so jumbled that I don't try to use coach-specific terminology most of the time. 

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Always appreciate your posts. I hope you don’t mind if I ask where did you get your bonafides on this stuff?

I played football into college and have always been a football junkie, so I pick the brains of people who know more than me on this stuff, read about schemes, and watch a lot of football. As for OL, I don't claim to be super knowledgeable on that, which is why I look a lot more at offer lists at that position, but I do know enough to say that Ian Boyd's OL recruiting analysis is usually dogshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Poor Shack got hamstrung by not being able to redshirt and the attendant constant injuries and struggle to keep weight on. Myslinski should be able to get that critical development year (not that I have much of an idea of who's playing C next year - Ghirmai if he figures it out?)

Majors or Ghirmai or GT.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I prefer to just refer to the position as edge, regardless of 2 point or 3 point stance. Every coach calls it something different. Ash usually uses a true 4 down, but he's now changing his scheme this year to accommodate Ossai, so we actually will be use a pass-rushing outside LB at the "Jack" position. So functionally, we're running a 4-2-5, but technically running a 3-3-5, but this shit gets so jumbled that I don't try to use coach-specific terminology most of the time. 

I played football into college and have always been a football junkie, so I pick the brains of people who know more than me on this stuff, read about schemes, and watch a lot of football. As for OL, I don't claim to be super knowledgeable on that, which is why I look a lot more at offer lists at that position, but I do know enough to say that Ian Boyd's OL recruiting analysis is usually dogshit. 

Lemme tweak that a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

you are going to cause me to stroke out if you tell me that Ossai is going to play OLB rather than DE. Now if you say OLB like Lawrence Taylor where he just rushes the whole time but does it from a two point stance, i will only have a mild cardiac event. But i am just going to keep telling myself that Ossai is going to rush the passer on every passing down and chase the ball from the edge on every run down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

you are going to cause me to stroke out if you tell me that Ossai is going to play OLB rather than DE. Now if you say OLB like Lawrence Taylor where he just rushes the whole time but does it from a two point stance, i will only have a mild cardiac event. But i am just going to keep telling myself that Ossai is going to rush the passer on every passing down and chase the ball from the edge on every run down. 

He still will be dropping back, a credit to his versatility but I'm sure he will be rushing the QB 90% of the time 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Poor Shack got hamstrung by not being able to redshirt and the attendant constant injuries and struggle to keep weight on. Myslinski should be able to get that critical development year (not that I have much of an idea of who's playing C next year - Ghirmai if he figures it out?)

It's hard to say right now. I don't have much hope left for Ghirmai, but OL is a spot where sometimes things just click late.  I'd say, ideally, it's Majors developing enough to be ready as a RS FR or a grad transfer.  GT's probably our best option for that season.  If both tackle spots are locked down, Karic could actually be an interesting dark horse at Center for a year or two while Christian Jones and Hookfin lock down the tackle spots. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

lulz. Pass rushers in a 3-4 are still traditionally called OLBs, like Von Miller and Demarcus Ware on the Broncos under Wade Phillips, even though they rush the passer 90% of the time.  Like I said, it's all semantics. Ossai will be an edge, but he'll be lined up slightly more off ball and outside than a DE in a 3 point stance in order to best fit his skillset as an edge rusher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ian Boyd is a guy who talks about X's and O's. And depending on who you ask here, opinions vary on how fucking good he is at that. But that motherfucker will word vomit you 5k words on a subject, so he'll create content. But trying to listen to him on roster development and recruiting is like listening to Vic Mackey give his opinions on the attractiveness of Fit women, or like listening to Stan Drayton give a lecture on volume recruiting. You're a smart guy, so when you do shit like this I can only assume you're willfully trying to Wescott Ebbert this board. Stop it. 

@Fud took a shit directly in Ian's mouth for this garbage

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

After Earle, he's my favorite Y WR of all our targets.  Herman's shown that he can get the ball in the hands of the Y, regardless of what type of receiver plays there. The most important factor for that position is being able to gain yards after the catch and Alexis fits that mold.  I also hope that Smith and Whittington can stay healthy. Both those guys could terrorize defenses from the slot if they can stay on the field. 

One of Yurcich's calling cards is formational versatility, which is obviously the polar opposite of Herman. We'll know right away how much say Yurcich has in this offense based on whether we go 11 99% of the time or actually mix things up to match our personnel.  It'll be a really good sign if we start to see a lot more 10 and 20 personnel. Using the 20 with the ability to motion Whittington or Bijan to the slot opposite Smith would be fantastic. 

Love Eagles and Washington as outside additions to this scenario.  Eagles is a freak and even if he is used as a blocker, could spring Whittington or Smith for big YAC.  I just can't see how this receiver grouping doesn't work, so naturally I expect Herman to somehow f'k it up similar to last year.   

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's hard to say right now. I don't have much hope left for Ghirmai, but OL is a spot where sometimes things just click late.  I'd say, ideally, it's Majors developing enough to be ready as a RS FR or a grad transfer.  GT's probably our best option for that season.  If both tackle spots are locked down, Karic could actually be an interesting dark horse at Center for a year or two while Christian Jones and Hookfin lock down the tackle spots. 

What is going on with Reese Moore?

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Love Eagles and Washington as outside additions to this scenario.  Eagles is a freak and even if he is used as a blocker, could spring Whittington or Smith for big YAC.  I just can't see how this receiver grouping doesn't work, so naturally I expect Herman to somehow f'k it up similar to last year.   

Yeah, even though we don't have a ton of proven talent at the position, it seems like we have way too much talent there to not find at least 3 guys who will play at a high level there, but I've thought this kind of thing before...

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

What is going on with Reese Moore?

No clue, but the complete silence on him even in offseason updates and not being on the 2-deep at this point doesn't seem too promising. I liked him a lot coming out of HS, but you really just never know how HS OL will develop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Coming out, Reese more was a small town TE who needed time to bulk up, learn how to play in a phonebooth on the OL, and learn how to play against much better competition. Several injuries kept him from bulking up on schedule, which has put him even further behind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What's the deal with Tyler Johnson? Seems like he's never mentioned in these discussions. Does he project more to the interior rather than to one of the tackle spots? I would think he would be a contributor, if not a starter, by 2021, but I'm uneducated on the matter.

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

What's the deal with Tyler Johnson? Seems like he's never mentioned in these discussions. Does he project more to the interior rather than to one of the tackle spots? I would think he would be a contributor, if not a starter, by 2021, but I'm uneducated on the matter.

He's not gonna play center for us.  But he is gonna need to be ready to man a tackle position next year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Id rather go GT next year then Majors at Center.  I think with 3 off-seasons as a RS-Soph he'll be ready and be a good one.  He's like Shack, going from LT in high school to Center in college.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I'm pretty sure that he's been mentioned as a possible starter in workouts leading up to 'fall camp'.  Isn't he the one who got rave reviews at the end of last season in bowl practices?

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Id rather go GT next year then Majors at Center.  I think with 3 off-seasons as a RS-Soph he'll be ready and be a good one.  He's like Shack, going from LT in high school to Center in college.

I don't think Ghirmai will be ready this year at center, but he might be next year

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It seems like taking a James brockermeyer replacement in myslinski is indeed giving up on the flip of the twins. 

I dunno about James but our staff should be fired if they give up on Tommy at any point before the ink is dry on signing day.

Welp... I've channeled my inner Daddy98 and reviewed Myslinky's hudl. Watched. The. Tape.

Some observations:

1. Who the fuck puts a high school football stadium on waterfront property? I can't even wrap my head around that.

2. With the caveat that I don't know shit about OL evaluation, he seems to move pretty good and have decent feet. 

3. Since his dad is an NFL strength coach, this kid is likely a take strictly as plug for the rest of the team for PEDs and the latest in PED test skirting technology.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's hard to say right now. I don't have much hope left for Ghirmai, but OL is a spot where sometimes things just click late.  I'd say, ideally, it's Majors developing enough to be ready as a RS FR or a grad transfer. 

I was pretty surprised when I saw him at the Alamo bowl - physically. He looked better there than he did earlier in the season, his body transformation has also been really good. Play-wise he looked like a guy that was starting to see the game slow down a little bit.. I don't know that he holds off Majors long-term but I think this is the year that we'll know. Year 3 is the year that a "development" prospect should see a pretty significant improvement. 

18 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

What's the deal with Tyler Johnson? Seems like he's never mentioned in these discussions.

OL is by far the hardest position to evaluate and getting good evaluations/information even from "insiders" (including GAs for instance) is really a challenge. Probably the DL guys that go against them on a daily basis are your best bet. Under Herman all of that info has been hard to come by at every level. Johnson and Hookfin both RS this past year and like Jones before them, I've heard a lot about their athleticism being on display but not a lot about any other aspect because honestly it's hard to get any reliable info on anything else. I expect that both of them will continue the shift in the physical remaking of the roster into a more NFL-ready unit. (ie. Jones physically dwarfing guys like Calvin Anderson, Okafor, etc... even early in his S&C gains, which have been tremendous) 

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think Ghirmai will be ready this year at center, but he might be next year

Ghirmai's struggles are a wrench in what would otherwise have been a great starting five on the O-line. Until he gets it together, Kerstetter will have to play center, and that means leaving Okafor at RT. Which, if you remember the Baylor game from last year, is not a great long-term solution.

Class Calculations on different scenarios (using number as of 8/6/2020)

+ Ketron Jackson WR, Jaden Alexis WR, Ryan Lengeyel OT, Terrence Cooks OLB, Albert Regis DT, Ikechukwu Iwunnah DT, Andrew Mukuba S, LJ Johnson RB = 24 Commits = 268.49

+ Ketron Jackson WR, Jaden Alexis WR, Ryan Lengeyel OT, Terrence Cooks OLB, Albert Regis DT, Ikechukwu Iwunnah DT, Andrew Mukuba S, JJ Henry WR, LJ Johnson RB = 25 Commits = 269.26

+ Ketron Jackson WR, Jaden Alexis WR, Ryan Lengeyel OT, Terrence Cooks OLB, Albert Regis DT, Ikechukwu Iwunnah DT, Andrew Mukuba S, Camar Wheaton RB = 24 Commits = 269.59

+ Ketron Jackson WR, Jaden Alexis WR, Ryan Lengeyel OT, Terrence Cooks OLB, Albert Regis DT, Ikechukwu Iwunnah DT, Andrew Mukuba S, Camar Wheaton RB = 24 Commits = 269.59

+ Ketron Jackson WR, Jaden Alexis WR, Ryan Lengeyel OT, Terrence Cooks OLB, Albert Regis DT, Ikechukwu Iwunnah DT, Andrew Mukuba S, JJ Henry Wr, Camar Wheaton RB = 25 Commits = 270.36