Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ghirmai's struggles are a wrench in what would otherwise have been a great starting five on the O-line. Until he gets it together, Kerstetter will have to play center, and that means leaving Okafor at RT. Which, if you remember the Baylor game from last year, is not a great long-term solution.

I didn't realize Christian Jones, Isaiah Hookfin, and Tyler Johnson all quit the team. When did that happen?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ghirmai's struggles are a wrench in what would otherwise have been a great starting five on the O-line. Until he gets it together, Kerstetter will have to play center, and that means leaving Okafor at RT. Which, if you remember the Baylor game from last year, is not a great long-term solution.

I doubt okafor plays tackle. RG, with Jones at RT or johnson/hookfin. 

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Thanks for posting. Fixed it for Gerry's source.

or malcom brown.  or rodrique wright.

hate reading stupid shit like that.  makes it hard to follow recruiting closely sometimes.

Edited by sidis

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hopefully Okafor's return means quality depth at guard. The note on Christian Jones isn't great. Wtf are we doing with Reese Moore? Ideally, he or Hookfin are ready to take over for Okafor  at RT mid-September, which, coincidentally coincides with when conference play is supposed to start. 

Edit to add: just saw @golfclaps Moore input. Give me Hookfin or hope the source is wrong on Jones. It sounds like the source saw workouts prior to the freshman arriving, so I'm holding out hope he's wrong.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn't realize Christian Jones, Isaiah Hookfin, and Tyler Johnson all quit the team. When did that happen?

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I doubt okafor plays tackle. RG, with Jones at RT or johnson/hookfin. 

Nahlin on Hookfin: "Regardless of position on Hookfin, we’re probably a year early talking about him. I’m not ruling out OT but he might be a OG."

Hamilton's source on Jones: "Christian Jones still a year away from being a quality Big 12 starter. Still so young as a football player, especially the offensive line demands to play at a high level. "

as for Johnson, I've been assuming he's a guard for the most part. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hopefully Okafor's return means quality depth at guard. The note on Christian Jones isn't great. Wtf are we doing with Reese Moore? Ideally, he or Hookfin are ready to take over for Okafor  at RT mid-September, which, coincidentally coincides with when conference play is supposed to start. 

Edit to add: just saw @golfclaps Moore input. Give me Hookfin or hope the source is wrong on Jones. It sounds like the source saw workouts prior to the freshman arriving, so I'm holding out hope he's wrong.

Sometimes projects don't pan out, compadre.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin on Hookfin: "Regardless of position on Hookfin, we’re probably a year early talking about him. I’m not ruling out OT but he might be a OG."

Hamilton's source on Jones: "Christian Jones still a year away from being a quality Big 12 starter. Still so young as a football player, especially the offensive line demands to play at a high level. "

as for Johnson, I've been assuming he's a guard for the most part. Hopefully I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

These OL didn't have a real spring. Some of them might come on strong with the several weeks of practice when pads come on plus the UTEP game. 

Lulz. Did you seriously just leave out the post from Nahlin that you screenshotted and posted on the FB Board where he said he's hearing C. Jones could be a league average starter at RT right now?  I know you're committed to being a pessimist, but cherry picking your own posts to that extent is just ridiculous.  If C. Jones is anywhere near league average right now, he'll be the starter at RT whenever this season starts. And like Fud said, none of these young guys got a real spring to show what they can do, so one or more of them could easily be further along than people realize. 

Point is, it's not even close to a given that Okafor starts at RT, or that RT will be a weak spot for us this year like you said. 

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp... I've channeled my inner Daddy98 and reviewed Myslinky's hudl. Watched. The. Tape.

Some observations:

1. Who the fuck puts a high school football stadium on waterfront property? I can't even wrap my head around that.

2. With the caveat that I don't know shit about OL evaluation, he seems to move pretty good and have decent feet. 

3. Since his dad is an NFL strength coach, this kid is likely a take strictly as plug for the rest of the team for PEDs and the latest in PED test skirting technology.

Solid.

I've only heard excellent stuff on Christian Jones going back to him first arriving and asking the right questions and working hard AF to increase his core strength and improve his  flexibility down to the Alamo Bowl workouts where he was shitcanning guys as fast as they could line the up. Gerry could be right - perhaps he's a year away but I think he's already replaced Okafor (hence the portal-and-back) and will prove to be a marked improvement at RT. 

I've always assumed Hookfin was a year 3 before we see him kind of guy because he had a longer path in terms of the amount of mass he needed to put on and the simple amount of football he's played vs. some of the other guys. He's athleticism however will be a real problem for the other guys trying to keep him out of the rotation in 2021 and beyond. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp... I've channeled my inner Daddy98 and reviewed Myslinky's hudl. Watched. The. Tape.

Some observations:

1. Who the fuck puts a high school football stadium on waterfront property? I can't even wrap my head around that.

2. With the caveat that I don't know shit about OL evaluation, he seems to move pretty good and have decent feet. 

3. Since his dad is an NFL strength coach, this kid is likely a take strictly as plug for the rest of the team for PEDs and the latest in PED test skirting technology.

Excellent. Where do I send my $9.95?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Did you seriously just leave out the post from Nahlin that you screenshotted and posted on the FB Board where he said he's hearing C. Jones could be a league average starter at RT right now?  I know you're committed to being a pessimist, but cherry picking your own posts to that extent is just ridiculous.

he was saying Okafor was league average, not Jones. "Last I heard on him is he could be league average if he had to play now. They might have to live with it."

Edited by satyanash

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this feels like some smoke around LJ. Don't want to misinterpret, but hoooo buddy

Harris is the assistant RB coach that was on a call with LJ and BC (and '22 Blue) yesterday. 

There's been a whole lot of push between 9.95er writeups (especially IT's), Carrington's DraytonBomb, and LJ's interviews around how these days most bluechip backs want to split carries in college so that their NFL career is more than 3-years-and-a-catastrophic-knee-injury. The confluence of the same narrative from all three sources is intriguing.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

Really thought Foster would work best at linebacker due to his size. Like him at safety but longterm thought he was a big player that could easily outgrow the position.  Just think he would be a violent threat at lb--prob knock himself out hitting somebody.  

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

There's been a whole lot of push between 9.95er writeups (especially IT's), Carrington's DraytonBomb, and LJ's interviews around how these days most bluechip backs want to split carries in college so that their NFL career is more than 3-years-and-a-catastrophic-knee-injury. The confluence of the same narrative from all three sources is intriguing.

Feeling very Broughton-y

I think LJ is the better, more complete back and definitely the better long term fit at Texas, especially post-Ingram. That said, Wheaton is a better fit for playing early and offering a different skill-set from what is on the roster. Ideally, we pair LJ with a waterbug type in a 2 back class. Hopefully we can find some speed in '22 if it does turn out to be LJ. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You mean an actual narrative and recruiting strategy? 

*** thanks Mr. Carrington

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Feeling very Broughton-y

I think LJ is the better, more complete back and definitely the better long term fit at Texas, especially post-Ingram. That said, Wheaton is a better fit for playing early and offering a different skill-set from what is on the roster. Ideally, we pair LJ with a waterbug type in a 2 back class. Hopefully we can find some speed in '22 if it does turn out to be LJ. 

Well realistically we would be pairing LJ with brooks in a 2 back class. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Feeling very Broughton-y

I think LJ is the better running back - but if Wheaton ends up at OUsucks Riley is going to absolutely abuse teams by getting Wheaton and all that speed out in space. 

They'll bothg likely be very successful but I think Wheaton needs to go to a team that knows how to use his relatively specific skillset - as opposed to LJ who could play for any team in the country and put up rushing numbers.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well realistically we would be pairing LJ with brooks in a 2 back class. 

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Feeling very Broughton-y

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Everyone is talking about Wheaton's speed and hoping Texas gets some speed to go with LJ Johnson, if he indeed commits. Wheaton can absolutely fly but LJ isn't Kyle Porter. Johson ran a 4.42 40 with a 4.26 shuttle at the Opening last year, at 203 pounds. He has got some fucking jets. 

Johnson ::

4.42 40 --- 34.2-inch vert -- 4.26 shuttle 36' power ball -- 112.11 overall

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tokamak said:

Is Zach Shackleford a good comp for Myslinky? Good technique, smart player, but lacks size and won't be able to add enough strength to dominate?

That’s a better comp than what fat ass Ketchum gave. Though I disagree on the ability to add strength. His frame is going to max out on what he can add before it becomes a negative. The strength will come. He will be a solid football player for Texas. 

That’s a better comp than what fat ass Ketchum gave. Though I disagree on the ability to add strength. His frame is going to max out on what he can add before it becomes a negative. The strength will come. He will be a solid football player for Texas. 

Lol. “Lyle Sendlein”

Fat fucking garbage human

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lol. “Lyle Sendlein”

Fat fucking garbage human

BTW, Dan Neil was one of Texas' best offensive linemen ever so I guess you could say that he was a pretty good guard and center. He was 6'2" and weighed 285lbs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

BTW, Dan Neil was one of Texas' best offensive linemen ever so I guess you could say that he was a pretty good guard and center. He was 6'2" and weighed 285lbs.

I had a really good conversation with him one day. He had come over to the house to pick something up and we talked about his playing days. He spoke about breaking up the plays of a game and deduce it down to what he was responsible for. X amount are run, y are pass, z his side vs other side, etc.

Anyway, he just had to kick total ass for like 13 plays a game or something.

Pretty interesting way he approached it. I am sure he can tell the story better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

I had a really good conversation with him one day. He had come over to the house to pick something up and we talked about his playing days. He spoke about breaking up the plays of a game and deduce it down to what he was responsible for. X amount are run, y are pass, z his side vs other side, etc.

Anyway, he just had to kick total ass for like 13 plays a game or something.

Pretty interesting way he approached it. I am sure he can tell the story better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doug Dawson is a friend of mine and he was always impressed with Dan Neil's play. Neil was a student of the game, but he was also hard working and had great feet. I think those attributes are more important than size. Gene Chilton was another friend but playing sports together, it was obvious that he couldn't move like Neil or Dawson. And while his brother went to Rice, I don't think he could anticipate or knew his role as well as the two aforementioned guys. OTOH, that guy was much stronger than Dawson and Neil. We did a dips challenge and I came in second with something like 60 dips touching my chin to a bar across the dip bars. Chilton did something like 90 weighing probably 100 more pounds than me.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He was also the dirtiest player in the NFL. Which I respect. 

Playing basketball, I hated when smelly sweaty guys would try and post up on me and then bitch when I hand checked. Fucking disgusting playing against some stank and then leaving with his stench. Take a shower, bitch.