Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, Halas said:

That’s a better comp than what fat ass Ketchum gave. Though I disagree on the ability to add strength. His frame is going to max out on what he can add before it becomes a negative. The strength will come. He will be a solid football player for Texas. 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lol. “Lyle Sendlein”

Fat fucking garbage human

Am I missing something? Why is comparing Myslinski to Lyle Sendlein bad/insulting? Was it just because both their dads have NFL backgrounds?

Edited by satyanash

40 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Am I missing something? Why is comparing Myslinski to Lyle Sendlein bad/insulting? Was it just because both their dads have NFL backgrounds?

Comparing Myslinski to an all conference center on a championship team that played 8 years in the NFL is the definition of a hot take. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

It’s not insulting. It’s just a lazy ass comparison that is not anywhere close to what reality is. Lyle is a 10 year NFL Vet I think. Perhaps one of the better lineman in program history. I think Shack or Braun are pretty appropriate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Bevo said:

BTW, Dan Neil was one of Texas' best offensive linemen ever so I guess you could say that he was a pretty good guard and center. He was 6'2" and weighed 285lbs.

not to be too much of a smartass here but in the last 24 years things have changed. 

24 years before 96 when he graduated (72) the centers on the Texas roster were:

• 6'1" and 215 (SO)
  • 6'2" and 206 (SO)
  • 6'3" and 215 (SR)
  • 6'4" and 229 (SO)
  • 6'1" and 231 (JR)

The biggest guy on the 96 roster was someone named Richard Land who was 6'8" and 315. The average weight for guys listed as OL were 285. They had 3 guys who weighed over 300 (305, 305, 315) - picking another fairly random number they had 7 guys who weighed over 290 pounds. 

The current OL's average weight is 303.8. That includes someone named Matt Frost who is listed at 256 and Chad Wolf at 279. Outside of those two the lowest weight guy is Rafiti Ghirmani who is 291. Meanwhile, 40% of the current Texas list weighs over 300. That doesn't include the 4 dudes listed at 298/299. Texas currently has 14 of their 16 guys over 290 pounds. 

Things are different. Acting like Dan Neil - who was a very good OL obviously would be as good today at that height/weight as he was then is a bad take. the guy who won basically all the All American awards at C was 316 last year. People loved to hate on Shack but he was 305 his last year here - technique makes a huge difference and Neil had much better technique but he would be extremely undersized in today's game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I had a really good conversation with him one day. He had come over to the house to pick something up and we talked about his playing days. He spoke about breaking up the plays of a game and deduce it down to what he was responsible for. X amount are run, y are pass, z his side vs other side, etc.

Anyway, he just had to kick total ass for like 13 plays a game or something.

Pretty interesting way he approached it. I am sure he can tell the story better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

he used to post some (or they shared his articles) over at IT and I enjoyed reading them. Seems like the kind of guy that could have a job in football if he wanted to

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

he used to post some (or they shared his articles) over at IT and I enjoyed reading them. Seems like the kind of guy that could have a job in football if he wanted to

Neil wrote for 247 -- Here's an old article he wrote last year...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-Dan-Neil-run-game-embarrassing-Sam-Ehlinger-Denzel-Okafor-Reese-Leitao-Marcel-Spears-Mike-Rose-139018240/

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

not to be too much of a smartass here but in the last 24 years things have changed. 

24 years before 96 when he graduated (72) the centers on the Texas roster were:

• 6'1" and 215 (SO)
  • 6'2" and 206 (SO)
  • 6'3" and 215 (SR)
  • 6'4" and 229 (SO)
  • 6'1" and 231 (JR)

The biggest guy on the 96 roster was someone named Richard Land who was 6'8" and 315. The average weight for guys listed as OL were 285. They had 3 guys who weighed over 300 (305, 305, 315) - picking another fairly random number they had 7 guys who weighed over 290 pounds. 

The current OL's average weight is 303.8. That includes someone named Matt Frost who is listed at 256 and Chad Wolf at 279. Outside of those two the lowest weight guy is Rafiti Ghirmani who is 291. Meanwhile, 40% of the current Texas list weighs over 300. That doesn't include the 4 dudes listed at 298/299. Texas currently has 14 of their 16 guys over 290 pounds. 

Things are different. Acting like Dan Neil - who was a very good OL obviously would be as good today at that height/weight as he was then is a bad take. the guy who won basically all the All American awards at C was 316 last year. People loved to hate on Shack but he was 305 his last year here - technique makes a huge difference and Neil had much better technique but he would be extremely undersized in today's game. 

Considering the gains in strength and nutrition since just 1996 I question that he's actually be undersized in today's game. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering the gains in strength and nutrition since just 1996 I question that he's actually be undersized in today's game. 

Looking at Walter Camp Football's C Rankings (just using it for weight/rankings) the C's on his list:

2020:

1. 307
  2. 312
  3. 314
  4. 307
  5. 302
  6. 313
  7. 304
  8. 304
  9. 309
  10. 310

2019:

1. 303
  2. 306
  3. 301
  4. 312
  5. 308
  6. 307
  7. 294
  8. 305
  9. 300
  10. 302

285 is absolutely "undersized" today - yes there are progressions in S&C and nutrition but look at how many of those dudes are under 300 (1 out 20, 5%) much less how many are under 290 (0 of 20)

Just now, NoName said:

Looking at Walter Camp Football's C Rankings (just using it for weight/rankings) the C's on his list:

2020:

1. 307
  2. 312
  3. 314
  4. 307
  5. 302
  6. 313
  7. 304
  8. 304
  9. 309
  10. 310

2019:

1. 303
  2. 306
  3. 301
  4. 312
  5. 308
  6. 307
  7. 294
  8. 305
  9. 300
  10. 302

285 is absolutely "undersized" today - yes there are progressions in S&C and nutrition but look at how many of those dudes are under 300 (1 out 20, 5%) much less how many are under 290 (0 of 20)

He means Neil would be bigger, not that he'd be some special unicorn at that lighter weight.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He means Neil would be bigger, not that he'd be some special unicorn at that lighter weight.

ahhh that makes more sense and is correct. 

but that wasn't the argument Bevo made - he was saying that Dan Neil was great at 285

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

2020:

1. 307
  2. 312
  3. 314
  4. 307
  5. 302
  6. 313
  7. 304
  8. 304
  9. 309
  10. 310

2019:

1. 303
  2. 306
  3. 301
  4. 312
  5. 308
  6. 307
  7. 294
  8. 305
  9. 300
  10. 302

He was saying if Neil played today, he wouldnt be undersized because of gains in S&C.  And yeah, comparing a guy's playing weight from 30 years ago to try to say that a current recruit's size isn't an issue is nonsenee.  The 1993 Texas roster had one guy at or even near 300 lbs, and that was Stonie Clark.  Dan Neil wasn't undersized for the time he played. 286 would be now, and it would cause significant issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The early 2000s OL recruiting was spot on, then things began to go to shit as Colt's career progressed then never got back on track. Guys with mean streaks like Kasey Studdard and Lyle Sendlein who were scrappers in the trenches ended up being replaced by choir boy patsies such as Chris Hall and Michael Huey and things never really got back on track. Imagine the end of Colt's college career with some adequate offensive linemen compared to the likes of Ulatoski, Hall, Tanner, Huey, Greg fucking Smith, the bust Mason Walters etc. None of those guys sniffed an NFL roster. Wickline was pretty much a joke, the verdict is still out on Herb Hand. He's sported the best OL in recent history, but that ain't saying a whole lot considering the lack of on field performance and player development the last 12 years.

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

2020:

1. 307
  2. 312
  3. 314
  4. 307
  5. 302
  6. 313
  7. 304
  8. 304
  9. 309
  10. 310

2019:

1. 303
  2. 306
  3. 301
  4. 312
  5. 308
  6. 307
  7. 294
  8. 305
  9. 300
  10. 302

Nevermind, I see Burt and Tex beat me to the punch. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

ahhh that makes more sense and is correct. 

but that wasn't the argument Bevo made - he was saying that Dan Neil was great at 285

If you confuse me with Bevo again I'm going to petulantly go back and neg every single one of your motherfucking posts I can find into perpetuity. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you confuse me with Bevo again I'm going to petulantly go back and neg every single one of your motherfucking posts I can find into perpetuity. 

no no I am not (he is on ignore but someone quoted him so i saw it) - i thought you were agreeing with him vs saying he would get bigger haha

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Camp begins! More commitments coming? Improving recruiting relationships.

TEAM

The first day of camp is today, with practice taking place mid-morning. The typical day is your standard regimented schedule of meals, meetings, treatment, practice, film, walk-throughs, etc. I do think I’m picking up on an added emphasis on special teams. The big story lines heading into camp are the OC/RT relationship and getting the linebacker situation ironed out. In past years, we were following similar developments because there weren’t enough bodies or talent. This season is different in that depth and ability are in place but experience isn’t.

If you guessed the offensive line will be Cosmi-Angilau-Kerstetter-Johnson-Okafor, you might be right. We have sources who think similarly. But Herb Hand will work with a number of combinations, including the one we outlined last week of Cosmi-Angilau-Ghirmai-Imade-Kerstetter. Reminder: Take early Texas provided depth charts with a Coburn-sized grain of salt.

We think UT will add Arizona grad transfer Tony Fields (see below) to the linebacker corps. Right now the starters are DeMarvion Overshown and Juwan Mitchell. Those guys won’t likely be replaced by anyone currently on the roster. If Fields arrives we’ll see competition to be the two best linebackers. It’s not a sure thing he replaces Mitchell by any stretch. Overshown is new to the position and hasn’t proven to be able to stay healthy. We could end up seeing a leaner, faster Mitchell at Will and Fields at Mike.

We’ve been asked about Marcus Tillman a few times. He’s back and working out but not where he was pre-injury. He’s being groomed to be the Mike of the future while David Gbenda is the Will.

With new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich comes some subtle changes and some not-so-subtle. One not-so-subtle change is the over-reliance on the slot receiver. All too often we saw Texas get vapor lock when Devin Duvernay was taken away. You are going to see a much more varied offense this season. To fully unlock the passing game, Texas will need outside receivers to step up. Brennan Eagles has been mentioned a lot, but what about Marcus Washington? “The word is he was making a lot of plays in 7 on 7 with the team, and not just hitches and short routes. He was winning over the top.”

How did this come about? “He’s definitely faster. He’s competitive. When it comes to running drills he makes sure to compete with Jake Smith. You can tell he was working while away from campus too.” As the team begins camp and rounds into form, we hope to provide an accurate depiction of how that’s taking place. By September 12th you guys should have a decent idea of what to expect. Remember defensive concerns heading into last year? We don’t anticipate those.

As for when the season will begin, it’s 95 percent certain (barring Covid factors) Texas will open up on September 12th versus UTEP. Where it gets interesting is this: we’ve heard the home and away scheduling will stay the same, but the sequence of games is still not set in stone. Meaning: Kansas State may not be the second game. It may in fact stay the same, but they may be looking to rearrange the schedule for TV purposes or other factors. Something to watch for.

STATE OF RECRUITING

Texas’ 2021 class has found a nice groove of late with Recent additions Gunnar Helm and Mike Myslinski, the second tight end for the cycle and first offensive line pledge since last summer. That beat might continue as a pair of targets could be nearing their decision. First up is Pompano Beach (FL) Monarch wide receiver Jaden Alexis, who could finally be ready to pull the trigger. The three-star with four-star offers and five-star speed has quietly held the Horns in the highest regard since before the summer.

The speed is verified: 4.41 forty, 10.7 100m, and 22.27 200m. Almost 900 yards in the air on 49 catches with eight touchdowns means he puts his explosiveness to good use. At the onset of the cycle we mentioned the need for speed. Here is the staff addressing that need. Miami, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Penn State are UT’s top competition, but we feel like those schools are all looking up at the Horns.

The Monarch student body president and son of former NFL running back Rich Alexis, Jaden has a tremendous relationship with Andre Coleman and speaks with Tom Herman and Mike Yurcich regularly. We’re hearing he could make an announcement very soon, maybe this weekend, and that should satisfy some of the IT brethren who crave that God-given speed.

On the other side of the ball, Arizona grad transfer linebacker Tony Fields II is another potential commitment we’re eyeing. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound tackling machine has a reported top 3 of Texas, Minnesota, and West Virginia. He took in the sights of Austin on Wednesday. Fields started every game for the last three seasons — 37 consecutive at Will linebacker for the Wildcats — while accumulating 287 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, six pass-break ups, and two interceptions. Durable, lunch-pail level stuff.

At first, it appeared PJ Fleck was rowing in the right direction in this pursuit, giving the Golden Gophers the early advantage. A pair of Fields’ high school teammates play for Minnesota and Minny was missing a starter. However, we don’t think Minnesota is in play any more. In fact we’ve heard that. He thoroughly enjoyed his midweek trek through the ATX and there’s some optimism among the Texas staff.

Bottom line: If UT lands Fields, Chris Adimora deserves an assist. He served as concierge on the visit. The two know each other from being West Coast football players (Las Vegas is West Coast when it comes to football). We have this as a Big 12 matchup between UT and WVU, with the nod going to UT. Word is Fields is tired of losing at Arizona (that ol’ Sumblin) and thinks UT is primed to break out. So, what’s the hold up? Camp starts today and he’s already behind. Is he going home to grab his bug-out bag and turn right back around? Maybe he’s still in town and we just haven’t heard. Those final details are a bit hazy. We’re all predicting UT but not confirming it.

On Ryan Lengyel, the three-star offensive tackle from Dallas Jesuit tells IT he wants to make a decision around August 10th. That’s his hope, and if Texas decides to take him, it won’t be another 12 months between OL commitments. Let’s make sure the narrative is accurate here. He’s not seen as a savior of any sort. He’s seen as a long-term investment with tackle upside and guard versatility. They love his competitiveness and think he fared well against stiff competition. They like his frame upside as well. Should he be a take in this loaded cycle this early in the calendar? That’s probably the better question rather than can the kid play at Texas in 2023-2024?

Texas is picking up steam with Royse City four-star wideout Ketron Jackson. Ever since his trip to Austin two weeks ago, he’s been talking up UT within his circle. It certainly helps when 7-on-7 teammate Phaizon Wilson, UT’s first 2022 verbal pledge, remains close to him. Arkansas and TCU remain in the sweepstakes, and I don’t think a decision is approaching, but I do believe the Horns prioritized him at the right time. Stay the course, UT staff.

Outside of Quinn Ewers, there may not be an offensive player the Texas staff covets more in the 2022 class than Frisco Liberty’s Evan Stewart. According to a source in DFW, Stewart is in constant contact with Texas, and that has the Longhorns continuing to trend in the right direction. "Evan is talking to Texas more than anyone else," said the source. "He likes what he's hearing."

Longhorns OC Mike Yurcich and WR coach Andre Coleman are laser focused on building relationships with people in the circle of Stewart, fellow 2022 class member Armani Winfield from Lewisville, and 2021 J.J. Henry from McKinney. This is very important, and imperative for the new staff members, as the Oklahoma staff has done a better job of this at the wide receiver position in DFW in recent classes. The focused work of Yurcich and Coleman falls in line with information relayed to me at the Elite Underclassmen Showcase in Durant, OK in mid-July. I was told that Coleman has done a quality job of building a strong relationship with Henry and his father, per a source close to Henry’s recruitment. Throughout that conversation, Texas wasn’t the school mentioned the most with Henry.

The main question regarding Henry and Texas is what happens if Jaden Alexis picks the Longhorns first? Do the Longhorns shift focus to bigger WR’s at that point? While Henry has his fans at IT, including on the writing staff, we’re not working within the same constraints of building a class. To be clear, the staff likes Henry a lot but we’re beginning to wonder about numbers at receiver.

Texas isn’t one to offer many 2023 prospects this early, but keep an eye out on Del Valle three-sport budding star Bryalon James. The 6-foot-3, 175-pound receiver is positioned to pick up an offer from Texas after a game or two this season, if not before. Kansas became the first Power 5 to offer the Stony Point transfer on August 4.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'd prefer Jones get 1st ceack or RT over Okafor.

It’s just nice to have at a minimum 7 guys that would not be a disaster to have out there against a real opponent...

How the fuck did the OL get so fucking bad for so many years?

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Camp begins! More commitments coming? Improving recruiting relationships.

Nahlin and Hamilton in the comments: LJ is likely not to wait until the end of his senior season to announce, could be during. Wheaton will also probably announce earlier than originally thought.

That tells me that one chooses Texas first, and the other falls to aggy or blOU respectively. They just both want to see Yurch's offense, and the only way we don't get one is if what they see is different from what they were told. Hopefully Bijan gets 10ish touches against UTEP. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They just both want to see Yurch's offense, and the only way we don't get one is if what they see is different from what they were told. Hopefully Bijan gets 10ish touches against UTEP. 

and hopefully that is because we blow them out 60-10 or something like that - giving more players actual opportunity to take snaps

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

and hopefully that is because we blow them out 60-10 or something like that - giving more players actual opportunity to take snaps

UTEP is forecast to literally be the the worst team in the FBS this year. We just need to play at a decent G5 level to blow them out (crosses fingers hard).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

Yeah - the blowout needs to happen - but Bijan also needs to get early touches and be an actual part of this offense, not just someone playing the Daniel Young role. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Here is an easy way to remember: I'm the good looking one.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

It’s just nice to have at a minimum 7 guys that would not be a disaster to have out there against a real opponent...

How the fuck did the OL get so fucking bad for so many years?

Even in Mack's glory days, we had some cringe worthy lines.  Do you remember the OL when Herman first arrived?  Yikes.

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin and Hamilton in the comments: LJ is likely not to wait until the end of his senior season to announce, could be during. Wheaton will also probably announce earlier than originally thought.

That tells me that one chooses Texas first, and the other falls to aggy or blOU respectively. They just both want to see Yurch's offense, and the only way we don't get one is if what they see is different from what they were told. Hopefully Bijan gets 10ish touches against UTEP. 

Idk that LJ is a given to aggy if we get Wheaton. I could see Auburn or maybe someone like UGA, if they miss on another target, swoop in and steal him. 

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UTEP is forecast to literally be the the worst team in the FBS this year. We just need to play at a decent G5 level to blow them out (crosses fingers hard).

We were a very flawed team last year and blew out Rice and a LA Tech squad that was way better than UTEP, so that shouldn’t be an issue, but yeah, the game plan aspect will probably be more important. We have a lot of really talented young guys, which is awesome, but it’s going to be a real challenge to get them enough touches when they’re all healthy. 

Ingram, RoJo, Bijan, J Whitt, Smith, Eagles, Moore, Washington, Kennedy Lewis ( if he can keep his head on straight). And I guess the TEs a little bit, but after making that list, it really underscores what a waste it would be to have Brewer, or even Wiley this year, on the field 99% of the time. 

• Like 2