Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Camp begins! More commitments coming? Improving recruiting relationships.

The focused work of Yurcich and Coleman falls in line with information relayed to me at the Elite Underclassmen Showcase in Durant, OK in mid-July. I was told that Coleman has done a quality job of building a strong relationship with Henry and his father, per a source close to Henry’s recruitment. Throughout that conversation, Texas wasn’t the school mentioned the most with Henry.

can someone translate this for me?

I read it as Coleman and Yurich have made better relationships with the 2022 class, and don't want to give out a scholarship to Henry when they are going to take better players next year at the position. Plus it's not like the position isn't already stacked with Smith, Whittington, and Harrison. Plus, with Yurich's desire to have positional flexibility, I don't see a guy that is a slot only being a take currently unless they are on the level of Earle. It looks like the class is going to be Alexis, Cain, and Jackson.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I read it as Coleman and Yurich have made better relationships with the 2022 class, and don't want to give out a scholarship to Henry when they are going to take better players next year at the position. Plus it's not like the position isn't already stacked with Smith, Whittington, and Harrison. Plus, with Yurich's desire to have positional flexibility, I don't see a guy that is a slot only being a take currently unless they are on the level of Earle. It looks like the class is going to be Alexis, Cain, and Jackson.

Maybe, none of our guys want to play with Dekel, but I wouldn't mind us signing him (Dekel Crowdus)?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One day of practice with the new DL and...

This isn’t a massive loss in and of itself, but that 2019 class is getting murdered by attrition.

It’s almost like having to largely rely on OOS backup plans when you miss on all your in-state targets because you went 7-6 the year before can backfire. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Danny Young would make 84, Warren makes 83.

Step right up Cort and Hank. No need for Luke to get one this year.

This is true but what I've learned with this staff is they're more than willing to take grad transfers. You can bet they're still looking to upgrade the roster which is why I brought up the OTs from NDSU. 

Edited by texasstrong12

This is true but what I've learned with this staff is they're more than willing to take grad transfers. You can bet they're still looking to upgrade the roster which is why I brought up the OTs from NDSU. 

That would be terrific to land one and clear up the RT issues. Would love Okafor to play guard, and I think he would appreciate that too.

I’m sure they’re still looking, but fall camp has started (fuckyeah.gif). Any GTs that they begin pursuing now aren’t likely to contribute until mid season. Even Fields would be cutting it really close.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Texas has room for 5 more counters in 2020, which would rob from 2021.

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This isn’t a massive loss in and of itself, but that 2019 class is getting murdered by attrition.

It’s almost like having to largely rely on OOS backup plans when you miss on all your in-state targets because you went 7-6 the year before can backfire. 

The real bummer in this is 3 of the losses have been freak health issues. Then Shepherd was the flakiest of flakes who was always unlikely to maximize his potential.

(Steve Wiltfong) 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: Speedy WR to Texas

Texas could add another speedy receiver in the near future. Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch pass catcher Jaden Alexis said at the end of July that the Longhorns were one of the programs standing out alongside Rutgers, Miami, Penn State and Kentucky. Numerous sources indicate the Texas is the one to beat. I added a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast to the mix alongside Horns247 insider Mike Roach among others. As a junior Alexis caught 49 passes for 894 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior. He has a 4.45 verified 40-yard dash time to his name from The Opening camp circuit and a 10.75 100m dash time from last spring. Adding Alexis alongside Billy Bowman who is another sub 11.0 guy would add serious juice to a class that ranks No. 12 nationally.

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think casey hampton showed up a year before rogers?  

He may have, can't remember if he redshirted or not. Both badasses, I was mostly just being pedantic because they came out the same year and Hampton was drafted in the 1st and Rogers in the 2nd.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is the knock on Alexis's ranking?  Those verified times are mid 4* level.  An average of 18+ yards per reception, impressive offer list, what's the deal?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. He’s a high 3 star, low 4 star on every service. His testing times are elite, and it shows on film. I’d be curious what his shuttle time is, but overall, he’s got good measurables, production, and bloodlines. Plus, I think he’s the student body president for his HS, so he seems good off the field. 

Not sure if it’s just that services haven’t done a full eval on him due to Covid or what, but he seems pretty underrated right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. He’s a high 3 star, low 4 star on every service. His testing times are elite, and it shows on film. I’d be curious what his shuttle time is, but overall, he’s got good measurables, production, and bloodlines. Plus, I think he’s the student body president for his HS, so he seems good off the field. 

Not sure if it’s just that services haven’t done a full eval on him due to Covid or what, but he seems pretty underrated right now. 

He's the school president and an early enrollee. Dude has his shit together off the field for sure.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think there’s a good chance that Alexis ends up a composite 4 star, but he’s the exact kind of three star you want. Has good measurables with elite speed, he’s just raw when it comes to route running and playing WR in general. Credit to Herman, he’s been really good landing high upside 3 stars for the most part, a couple guys in the 2021 class notwithstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1