Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Are most of these 3-star recruits currently committed to UT only rated 3 stars because there wasn't any Spring Football & camps for the recruiting services to evaluate them?

Not really. Alexis and Davis are awesome gets, but most of the other 3-stars are correctly rated. Doesn't mean they can't be good gets - guys like Helm and Myslinski have really useful skillsets. Brooks could be good, he plays against miniature school opposition so we'll see how he steps up. Cain... well Yurcich sees something there, so hopefully it works out.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not really. Alexis and Davis are awesome gets, but most of the other 3-stars are correctly rated. Doesn't mean they can't be good gets - guys like Helm and Myslinski have really useful skillsets. Brooks could be good, he plays against miniature school opposition so we'll see how he steps up. Cain... well Yurcich sees something there, so hopefully it works out.

Alexis would be the #1 receiver in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think there’s a good chance that Alexis ends up a composite 4 star, but he’s the exact kind of three star you want. Has good measurables with elite speed, he’s just raw when it comes to route running and playing WR in general. Credit to Herman, he’s been really good landing high upside 3 stars for the most part, a couple guys in the 2021 class notwithstanding. 

If he's just like John Burt but with good hands, I will take that in a heartbeat

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Are most of these 3-star recruits currently committed to UT only rated 3 stars because there wasn't any Spring Football & camps for the recruiting services to evaluate them?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

100% Alexis and Davis are the 3-star commits who are being hurt by no camps. Alexis has elite speed and Davis has elite hands. The rest of the 3 star commits are 3 star commits.

Cooks and Regis are 3-star targets we probably lead for who should definitely be 4-stars though. The ratings this year are probably going to stink due to everything that’s going on.

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

If he's just like John Burt but with good hands, I will take that in a heartbeat

If we’re comparing him to recent Longhorns, I’d say more of a poor man’s Duvernay. Both have elite long speed, built more like a RB than a WR, don’t go down easily after the catch, need some time to develop route running. Not sure about his hands compared to Duvernay, but he does make some good contested catches. 

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Andrew Ivins (Miami Guy) compared him to Christian Kirk...that's good right? 

I don’t see the elite agility/COD Kirk had and not nearly the same level of explosiveness. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
14 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:
Christian Kirk made Johnny Manziel a first round draft pick.  Without Kirk around, the world saw Manziel as he really is.  A cosmic fuck-up.

You're thinking of Mike Evans.

God, I’m getting old and forgetting more shit.

11 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

What was your favorite Manziel-to-Kirk memory? There's so many to choose from

Aggy pro day (an oxymoron) in the spring of 2018.  Ba Fangool, TommyGufano.

Edited by Harrison Stafford

5 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Mostly because people haven’t watched the tape imo

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think there’s a good chance that Alexis ends up a composite 4 star, but he’s the exact kind of three star you want. Has good measurables with elite speed, he’s just raw when it comes to route running and playing WR in general. Credit to Herman, he’s been really good landing high upside 3 stars for the most part, a couple guys in the 2021 class notwithstanding. 

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I like that we missed on Earle and went out of state to get a guy with a similar skill set, rather than pulling a late era Mack and taking a JAG from Texas. I like JJ Henry, but it’s hard to play any position in college when you weigh 125 pounds. 

The latest tweak in Hank’s meds has been really effective.