Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

LJ is fantastic news. Just given that the post seemed to suggest circumstances that didn't quite match LJ, it was reason (or an excuse) to think we had good news about LJ and some mystery player

This. I'm not upset one bit. Us leading for (or already having a silent from) LJ is absolutely huge, especially considering our backup plan after LJ/Camar is only taking Brooks. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This. I'm not upset one bit. Us leading for (or already having a silent from) LJ is absolutely huge, especially considering our backup plan after LJ/Camar is only taking Brooks. 

Burt, got a question for you. A lot of posters for whatever reason tend to down play some recruits before they even get to school. We took a 3 star running back a few years ago that many thought would be a wasted scholarship and he turned out ok. I am speaking in general terms here but why do some posters discount Brooks or did I miss read your comment. Not being rude because I like your posts but is it because the coaches might have panicked and took him or maybe he is just under the radar. Just curious. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Burt, got a question for you. A lot of posters for whatever reason tend to down play some recruits before they even get to school. We took a 3 star running back a few years ago that many thought would be a wasted scholarship and he turned out ok. I am speaking in general terms here but why do some posters discount Brooks or did I miss read your comment. Not being rude because I like your posts but is it because the coaches might have panicked and took him or maybe he is just under the radar. Just curious. Thanks. 

I know the question wasn't for me, but only taking Brooks with those 2 RBs in state after taking 1 RB the year before would flat out be a disappointment. I don't think anyone disputes that Brooks does have some solid traits.

26 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He does need to publicly drop a commitment soon to warrant how TFB teased it though. If it ends up being "Texas has overtaken A&M for the pole position but he plans to keep his timeline for after the season" or whatever that would be a letdown. 

This is how I feel.  

3 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I know the question wasn't for me, but only taking Brooks with those 2 RBs in state after taking 1 RB the year before would flat out be a disappointment. I don't think anyone disputes that Brooks does have some solid traits.

And a guy with no top gear in terms of speed who's played against the little sisters of poor his whole career isn't exactly what you'd want as UT's sole take.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

That makes sense. Thanks for responding.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

My son is in the same Troop with Ryan and is likely next in line to be Eagle Scout (humble brag).We attended Philmont and Sea Base with Ryan and his Dad. I kept my mouth shut as this process played out and it broke the right way. Ryan is a really good guy and he's a great fit at Baylor. He's not "Team Jesus" by any means. He's got a "take no shit" from no one edge about him. I think Baylor's a better fit for Ryan because he'll do well there as the bigger fish in a smaller pond. 

...so he likes to rape. Got it.

45 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

This was definitely a 2 back class even more so after the Ty Jordan flip.

He does need to publicly drop a commitment soon to warrant how TFB teased it though. If it ends up being "Texas has overtaken A&M for the pole position but he plans to keep his timeline for after the season" or whatever that would be a letdown. 
I can't imagine being letdown by a $9.95er.

Just now, TommyGufano said:

More football related, but I guess this answers the mystery player alluded to in the IT article. Weird. Thought he was gonna be a starter.

Yeah. Compared to a guy like Young using it as a (totally reasonable) smokescreen for a grad transfer, this feels actually real.

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

More football related, but I guess this answers the mystery player alluded to in the IT article. Weird. Thought he was gonna be a starter.

Maybe he wants to grad transfer next season, though if so I don't know why.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Maybe they promised him a spot at JACK once Ossai declares. It is a spot on the defense that will be lacking experience after Ossai leaves. Could also explain why Warren quickly took his name out of the portal. Just for comparisons, Ossai is listed at 6'4" 253, while Bimage is 6'2" 251.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: More intel on five-star RB Camar Wheaton

Spoiler

Mike at Night: More intel on five-star RB Camar Wheaton

MikeRoach

—Yesterday I dropped some notes on running back recruiting. Today I was able to connect with a few more sources around Camar Wheaton to get the latest on the five-star back. I asked specifically about where things were with Camar following some positive buzz around Texas and LJ Johnson. I was told by a key source that Wheaton is not going to be pushed into a decision by another prospect and will stick to his own timeline. Recently I was told Wheaton was possibly circling a decision, but I was told that’s no longer the case. At this point, Wheaton hasn’t decided on anything and doesn’t feel that he’s close to a decision at this point.

—I also asked this source about Camar’s standing with Texas and was told things are still as strong as ever. In fact, the last communication Wheaton had with a school was a “really good” conversation with Stan Drayton. A source in Austin told me that Texas will continue to pursue Wheaton as hard as anyone, and a source near Wheaton told me that Texas remains a major player in the race. When asked about who else was in it, I was told that Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and LSU are really the big contenders for him. I also asked about SMU, who at one time seemed like a darkhorse in this race and was told by a source they didn’t think the Mustangs were a factor anymore.

—From everything I picked up, it sounds like things are still pretty much status quo for Wheaton. In fact, I was told Camar gets a good chuckle out of seeing a lot of internet reports on his recruitment. I was told that it’s definitely a possibility that Wheaton makes it to Norman for an unofficial (and self-guided) Oklahoma visit in the next few weeks with a few Sooner commits and targets but it was more to just have fun and get out of town. While Wheaton loves the possibilities of OU’s offense and he has a great admiration for Lincoln Riley, I’m told that questions still remain about the resume of Demarco Murray. As Steve Wiltfong reported on our board and I continually hear, the best relationship Wheaton has is with Drayton. This is probably just a long way to say not much is new, but I wanted to provide another detailed update as the race for one of the top backs in the nation heats up.

• Hook 'Em 1