Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

45 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Looks like Carl was right again. While all you losers were suckin down glizzys he was calling LJ to Texas. Or at least I assume he did, I don’t really understand his posts. 

bruh u have believed in me since my og winslow profile 30 accounts ago when i was advocating for marcel brooks 

would u like to become my woo? immaculate use of glizzy btw 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

bruh u have believed in me since my og winslow profile 30 accounts ago when i was advocating for marcel brooks 

Marcel Brooks is a glizzy sucker.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

Dude, you are the single person on this board that would want that fucking rapist. And that's creepy as shit.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:
He does need to publicly drop a commitment soon to warrant how TFB teased it though. If it ends up being "Texas has overtaken A&M for the pole position but he plans to keep his timeline for after the season" or whatever that would be a letdown. 

I can't imagine being letdown by a $9.95er.

I enjoy shitting on the $9.95ers as much as anyone but with some exceptions they do have some access. When they make a real stand on something it tends to be because they have been directly told something by a primary source. It’s pretty rare we see a real surprise after a player has a run of CBs to a specific school. 

Practice stuff from a random OBer which passes the smell test (posted before the Bimage news)

A few things I've heard from someone close to the team:

The offense is doing whatever they want with the defense. The new scheme attacks the middle of the field relentlessly.

The offense will apparently have more QB under center near the goalline. Music to my ears.

Sam has been sharp and loves the new offense. Card has been very good and even getting some run with the 2s. JQJ needs work as a thrower.

First team WRs have been Smith, Moore, and Black. Whitt and Omeire also getting run with the 1s. Not sure why Eagles is with the 2s, maybe he's in the doghouse? Moore is running the best routes. Omeire has been "dominant." Whitt and Smith both making plays as well. Lots of weapons.

Bijan is the real deal.

Nobody has been able to handle Coburn when he's fresh.

Graham is a leader of the D and looking very good as well.

The right side of the OL has been Hookfin and Okafor.

Bimage may be opting out this year.

• Hook 'Em 7

I enjoy shitting on the $9.95ers as much as anyone but with some exceptions they do have some access. When they make a real stand on something it tends to be because they have been directly told something by a primary source. It’s pretty rare we see a real surprise after a player has a run of CBs to a specific school. 
Ok, Ketch.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Practice stuff from a random OBer which passes the smell test (posted before the Bimage news)

Hide contents

The offense is doing whatever they want with the defense. The new scheme attacks the middle of the field relentlessly.

The offense will apparently have more QB under center near the goalline. Music to my ears.

Both of these are positive developments imo.  Hopefully we will see them in games.

Hopefully this year.

This is by far our most talented roster since 2009.  I love the lineup of Cosmi- Angilau- Kerstetter- Hookfin- Okafor.  I'd like it even better if we could replace Okafor with Christian Jones.  That would give us one of the most athletic lines in the country.  All of those guys have quick feet and can run.  Having guys like Tyler Johnson, Jones, Willie T, Ghirmai, Imade as backups shows you how far we've come.  5 years ago, a starting OL of our current 2nd team would have been better than our starters.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Hide contents

Sam has been sharp and loves the new offense. Card has been very good and even getting some run with the 2s. JQJ needs work as a thrower.

First team WRs have been Smith, Moore, and Black. Whitt and Omeire also getting run with the 1s. Not sure why Eagles is with the 2s, maybe he's in the doghouse? Moore is running the best routes. Omeire has been "dominant." Whitt and Smith both making plays as well. Lots of weapons.

Bijan is the real deal.

Nobody has been able to handle Coburn when he's fresh.

Graham is a leader of the D and looking very good as well.

The right side of the OL has been Hookfin and Okafor.

Bimage may be opting out this year.

O success in the middle of the field portends two things which can also be viewed as zero sum.

1. the new scheme is great. this was the reason why we lost games last year to tcu and iowa st. when they shut down dev over the middle, we had no answers. hoping the new scheme spreads the ball over the middle. maybe the news out of practice verifies that.

or

2. last year we sucked ass, or more specifically, the LBs sucked ass in coverage. the reports of success over the middle may be scheme, but also maybe because the LBS, specifically mitchell, still fucking sucks in coverage. maybe we haven't made any strides here. fuck you orlando and your shitty LB recruiting.

i'm thinking a little of both. LBs may be the weakest position on the team. who am i kidding, LBs are the weakest position on the field.

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

@golfclap @Fud @Burt Macklin

GolFudLin, 

Would appreciate your takes on

- whom you would prefer for Texas (Wheaton vs. LJ), and why?

- any other realistic option that is close to them, in case we miss or both?

Thanks.

Not that you asked me, but to your first point Wheaton seems to provide something we don’t have at the RB position (elite speed) while LJ is the more well rounded typical 3-down back. Given our current depth chart I think Wheaton would be preferred just to give the RB room some versatility, but LJ is great and we’d be lucky to have him. To your second point, no.

edited to add that LJ isn’t slow by any means as noted previously in this thread

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

@golfclap @Fud @Burt Macklin

GolFudLin, 

Would appreciate your takes on

- whom you would prefer for Texas (Wheaton vs. LJ), and why?

- any other realistic option that is close to them, in case we miss or both?

Thanks.

My worthless opinion... LJ is a workhorse back with + speed.  He would pair very well with Bijan.  Camar is a homerun threat with elite speed.  Camar is also just a weird dude.  Guys like him have a higher bust rate in my opinion at Texas.  You really can't go wrong with either, but I think Herman has been looking for his next "zeke" for a few classes now.  Sanders and Cain fit that mold and we whiffed on both.  I think LJ's skill set is most similar to those 2 backs.  I think LJ ends up at Texas and that should basically seal the decision for Wheaton to  ou.  Best part is aggy gets left holding their dick in their hands again.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

the last back we had with elite speed was Jamaal Charles. not saying wheaton is anywhere near charles level but if wheaton has anywhere near charles vision and juking abilities, he can be a game changer.

i remember when jamaal pretty much beat nebraska by himself. that's what an elite homerun threat can do.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

the last back we had with elite speed was Jamaal Charles. not saying wheaton is anywhere near charles level but if wheaton has anywhere near charles vision and juking abilities, he can be a game changer.

i remember when jamaal pretty much beat nebraska by himself. that's what an elite homerun threat can do.

Wheaton isn't that guy. He's a one cut back that bounces too early because he can get away with it in high school. The long speed is elite++, but ironically, he needs Drayton more than LJ does for a coaching perspective. Would be interesting to see how they use him in Norman. My guess is he would be less of a traditional running back and more of an apb. He doesn't catch the ball much in hs, but swing passes and screens is his value to Riley. 

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not that you asked me, but to your first point Wheaton seems to provide something we don’t have at the RB position (elite speed) while LJ is the more well rounded typical 3-down back. Given our current depth chart I think Wheaton would be preferred just to give the RB room some versatility, but LJ is great and we’d be lucky to have him. To your second point, no.

edited to add that LJ isn’t slow by any means as noted previously in this thread

Edited again to add that taking Wheaton from OU would be even more ideal because Riley will absolutely find a way to utilitize his speed and give us a headache. But, I’d prefer we scheme against that and make aggy suffer by taking LJ personally 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'd be thrilled with either, but LJ is by no means slow and he's a guy that could be rotated early in the game with Bijan, whoever and then feed late in the game to wear down defenses.

Sydney beat me to it on verified testing for LJ.

Edited by TexasFan21

9 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

LJ has verified numbers at 4.42 40 from The Opening Regional from 2019. He is fast enough.

I'm not disputing he's "fast enough." He's fast. 

But if that 4.32 is real, that's something...just different. That's close to Chris Johnson shit. That's faster than Jamaal Charles. Granted, I don't think it's likely that 4.32 is real (laser timed). 

Camar is faster than LJ. I still prefer LJ Johnson. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
God Fucking Damnit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

But if that 4.32 is real, that's something...just different. That's close to Chris Johnson shit. That's faster than Jamaal Charles. Granted, I don't think it's likely that 4.32 is real (laser timed). 

Camar is faster than Wheaton. I still prefer LJ Johnson. 

I'm not taking that 40 time seriously. Need a laser time from a camp 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Camar is faster than Wheaton. I still prefer LJ Johnson. 

image.gif.535e5c413e1f7862f412fdd98505d0a5.gif

• Haha 1

Yup, LJ has good speed for his size.  Watch his HUDL, he'll easily break into the 2nd level and can go a long distance but he doesn't have the long speed Wheaton does.  LJ is a more complete back.  Wheaton has a much higher ceiling because he's a 4.3 guy and you can't teach speed.  However, he tends to bounces it to the outside too much.  I think Wheaton would actually crush it in the ou offense where they get their players in space.  Aggy is throwing everything at LJ because Jimbo loves backs that he can run into the ground.  I think a Bijan/LJ combo would be deadly after Ingram leaves.  Split the carries between the two with RoJo sprinkled in there as well.  LJ seems to have some smart people around him that probably understand he may not have much left on his tires if he's carrying the rock 20+ times a game in that putrid aggy offense.