Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Aggy is throwing everything at LJ because Jimbo loves backs that he can run into the ground.

After nearly 700 carries in 3 years, Dalvin Cook can't stay healthy in the NFL. Gee....wonder if those are related

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Florida State         687 4464 6.5 46 79 935 11.8 2 766 5399 7.0 4
*2014 Florida State ACC FR RB 13 170 1008 5.9 8 22 203 9.2 0 192 1211 6.3 8
*2015 Florida State ACC SO RB 12 229 1691 7.4 19 24 244 10.2 1 253 1935 7.6 20
*2016 Florida State ACC JR RB 13 288 1765 6.1 19 33 488 14.8 1 321 2253 7.0 20

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

After nearly carries in 3 years, Dalvin Cook can't stay healthy in the NFL. Gee....wonder if those are related

Even with our previous staff, D'Onta Foreman blew out his leg the year after Strong ran him into the ground. Bluechip RBs aren't about that anymore, especially since they already don't get drafted very high anyway.

Yep, the NFL doesn’t care if you’re a workhorse anymore. They want to see enough to know how you run and then they look at measurables. No need to shorten your already short pro career. Stan Drayton (when he decides to leave his house) with his NFL track record can explain this to recruits effectively.  If we keep stacking talent we’ll be able to use this strategy for awhile. 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

This is by far our most talented roster since 2009.  I love the lineup of Cosmi- Angilau- Kerstetter- Hookfin- Okafor.  I'd like it even better if we could replace Okafor with Christian Jones.  That would give us one of the most athletic lines in the country.  All of those guys have quick feet and can run.  Having guys like Tyler Johnson, Jones, Willie T, Ghirmai, Imade as backups shows you how far we've come.  5 years ago, a starting OL of our current 2nd team would have been better than our starters.  

I bought in to the Tyrone Swoops to DeAndre McNiel camp notes. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

@golfclap @Fud @Burt Macklin

GolFudLin, 

Would appreciate your takes on

- whom you would prefer for Texas (Wheaton vs. LJ), and why?

- any other realistic option that is close to them, in case we miss or both?

Thanks.

Golfclap is going to say the kid from Oak Ridge.

Happy to contribute. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

@Hank_Hill @victory88 @crash_davis @Ricky's one-hitter @Elmer_Fudd @SydneyCarton @TexasFan21 @texifornia @Longhorn94

All - thanks for the responses and information.

1)  Either would be great - was wondering whether many would rate LJ #1, so we could claim victory, if that's whom we get.  (Fud said the quiet part out loud.)  Also hope there is at least one okay contingency.

2)  I have some persistent trauma from the Mack/post-Jamaal days of taking bigger backs who didn't really work out.  Would love to have a back with elite speed.  (Duh!) (Perhaps Gray would have been that, if not for the injury.)  But this staff has seen good backs who weren't blazers, and LJ is fast himself, so we should be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

so their times are:

LJ  - 40: 4.42

100M: 11.24

CW - 40: 4.3ish

100M: 10.79

So both are fast. CW is a bit faster, moreso with longspeed. But neither are JC who ran 10.13 at UT.

FWIW -  Texas commit Jaden Alexis had a laser time 4.41 and a Personal Best 10.75 100m   A 4.32 for Wheaton seems pretty generous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

@Hank_Hill @victory88 @crash_davis @Ricky's one-hitter @Elmer_Fudd @SydneyCarton @TexasFan21 @texifornia @Longhorn94

1)  Either would be great - was wondering whether many would rate LJ #1, so we could claim victory, if that's whom we get.  (Fud said the quiet part out loud.)  Also hope there is at least one okay contingency.

2)  I have some persistent trauma from the Mack/post-Jamaal days of taking bigger backs who didn't really work out.  Would love to have a back with elite speed.  (Duh!) (Perhaps Gray would have been that, if not for the injury.)  But this staff has seen good backs who weren't blazers, and LJ is fast himself, so we should be fine. 

i think LJ is a Zeke starter kit. Similar to JK Dobbins too. 

I think everyone has covered all the ground. I don't think there's a big gap between them and I think either LJ or Wheaton slide right into the 2-deep here and bring things that will work well in this offense. Can't lose taking either. 

18 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

haha. He's my preferred backup option to LJ and Wheaton for sure. I expect he'll end up at OkState and be a massive pain in the ass. I just think he brings more to the table than guys that are rated higher like Valdez or Dunlap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:
I enjoy shitting on the $9.95ers as much as anyone but with some exceptions they do have some access. When they make a real stand on something it tends to be because they have been directly told something by a primary source. It’s pretty rare we see a real surprise after a player has a run of CBs to a specific school. 

Ok, Ketch.

tumblr_mla3yzquUY1rbrm08o1_400.gif

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Happy to contribute. 

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think everyone has covered all the ground. I don't think there's a big gap between them and I think either LJ or Wheaton slide right into the 2-deep here and bring things that will work well in this offense. Can't lose taking either. 

haha. He's my preferred backup option to LJ and Wheaton for sure. I expect he'll end up at OkState and be a massive pain in the ass. I just think he brings more to the table than guys that are rated higher like Valdez or Dunlap. 

Thanks, good to hear on LJ and potential backup.

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I’m late to answer, but both are great talents, but they’re very different styles. Either is a great pickup. In a vacuum, I’d prefer LJ because he’s more of an every down back, but I actually like Wheaton better for us because long speed is the main thing lacking in our RB room right now. 

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW -  Texas commit Jaden Alexis had a laser time 4.41 and a Personal Best 10.75 100m   A 4.32 for Wheaton seems pretty generous.

LJ running a 4.42 with a 11+ 100 also seems iffy. I will say that his film shows good initial burst but not as much long speed but still. 

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FYI, Roach is doing his Texas Top 100.  Will post once he's done.

(Both Conner and Cooks outside the top 50.)

What a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Eagles running with the 2s is not something I expected to read. Concern troll is mildly concerned.

he’s big and athletic but he’s doesn’t have the football skills of some of the other guys.  catches the ball awkwardly.  not as natural on the field as washington, moore, others. 

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Eagles running with the 2s is not something I expected to read. Concern troll is mildly concerned.

With the exception of disciplinary reasons, when I see really talented guys running with the second team, that makes me feel quite optimistic about the talent level of the first team.

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m late to answer, but both are great talents, but they’re very different styles. Either is a great pickup. In a vacuum, I’d prefer LJ because he’s more of an every down back, but I actually like Wheaton better for us because long speed is the main thing lacking in our RB room right now. 

LJ running a 4.42 with a 11+ 100 also seems iffy. I will say that his film shows good initial burst but not as much long speed but still. 

What a joke. 

Thank you.

(Besides Wheaton having a more complementary skill set from a roster standpoint, if they ever wanted to run two RB sets (no idea whether or not that's expected to be a part of the offense), Wheaton might offer more options.  And then you add in Bijan's receiving skills.)  

33 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

With the exception of disciplinary reasons, when I see really talented guys running with the second team, that makes me feel quite optimistic about the talent level of the first team.

Also, they know what they have in Eagles as he started every game last year at Z.  They may simply be putting Black and Moore out there to see how they fare with the 1s.  I would be SHOCKED if Eagles wasn't the starter week 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

What a joke. 

LJ gets chased down on his long runs on his HUDL.  Most guys with his build tend to tire out after about 50 yards.  Wheaton on the other hand looks like he just keeps getting faster the longer he runs.  I think the staff is pushing hard for LJ probably because Wheaton is a complete wildcard.  I know people keep on stating he's high on Texas because of his relationship with Drayton but I've always had this feeling he's going to end up at ou with Foster and maybe even Byrd.  I wouldn't be shocked if he committed on the ou get together coming up.   

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

LJ gets chased down on his long runs on his HUDL.  Most guys with his build tend to tire out after about 50 yards.  Wheaton on the other hand looks like he just keeps getting faster the longer he runs.  I think the staff is pushing hard for LJ probably because Wheaton is a complete wildcard.  I know people keep on stating he's high on Texas because of his relationship with Drayton but I've always had this feeling he's going to end up at ou with Foster and maybe even Byrd.  I wouldn't be shocked if he committed on the ou get together coming up.   

Well, if that's what happens, we'll just have Billy Bowman de-cleat him a few times.  Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

50 yard runs have value. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah some guys act like they don't want attention, but often they really do. 

Wheaton probably already knows where he's going, and is enjoying the both the process and making the $9.95ers jump thru hoops...

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

WTF, worried about 50 to 100 yard endurance? Beyond Bijan, a healthy LJ is the best RB we sign since Tom's been here. Also, take a step back. Driving up to Dallas, Jackson was ready to commit until he witnessed Tom get a lesson with what seemed like 100 sacks allowed. If we get LJ it's because we had our way with the league this year.

Just now, Goodman said:

WTF, worried about 50 to 100 yard endurance? Beyond Bijan, a healthy LJ is the best RB we sign since Tom's been here. Also, take a step back. Driving up to Dallas, Jackson was ready to commit until he witnessed Tom get a lesson with what seemed like 100 sacks allowed. If we get LJ it's because we had our way with the league this year.

I think you're taking my post the wrong way.  I'm not worried about his endurance.  We are simply comparing the two backs.  I think LJ is a fantastic prospect and is 1B to Wheaton.  They are 2 different backs, we're just comparing.  And I haven't counted my chickens yet, don't worry.

TFB Recruiting talk

Spoiler

Time to take another look at 2021 Recruiting

Texas is currently sitting on 17 commitments in the #trUTh21 class with their eyes set on adding an additional 7-8 prospects to the class. In this section of today’s Thirsty Thursday, we’ll take a look at what Texas has locked up and who some of the names are to keep an eye on moving forward. 

Quarterback

Needs: 1 

Commits (1): Jalen Milroe (Houston, TX)

Outlook: Texas has the signal-caller that they want in the class. Milroe is primed for an enormous Senior season if they’re allowed to play.

Targets: N/A

Running Back

Needs: 2

Commits (1): Jonathon Brooks (Hallettsville, TX)

Outlook: Jonathon Brooks isn’t rated highly, but Stan Drayton targeted the East Texas product early in the process and locked him up early. All of the focus since then has been on the two in-state studs, Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson. As you all may have heard by now, things are looking very good for the Longhorns and Mr. Johnson. A RB class of Johnson/Brooks or Wheaton/Brooks would be a no-doubter home run following the signing of Bijan Robinson.

Targets: Camar Wheaton (Garland, TX) and LJ Johnson (Cypress, TX)

Wide Receiver

Needs: 4

Commits (3): Casey Cain (New Orleans, LA), Juan Davis (Fort Worth, TX), and Jaden Alexis (Pompano Beach, FL)

Outlook: We have reasons to believe that Juan Davis may be beginning his career at Wide Receiver. Texas has their X (Davis), Z (Cain), and H (Alexis) locked up. All attention now turns to Royse City standout Ketron Jackson, who has the ability to play all of the WR spots and would complete a very diverse first group for new WR Coach Andre Coleman. 

Targets: Ketron Jackson (Royse City, TX)

Tight End

Needs: 1 

Commits (1): Gunnar Helm (Englewood, CO)

Outlook: Texas has been searching high and low for their Tight End in the class and the hope is that the third time is the charm with Helm. 

Targets: N/A

Offensive Line

Needs: 3 or 4 

Commits (2): Hayden Conner (Katy, TX) and Michael Myslinski (Jacksonville, FL)

Outlook: A year ago, things were looking really promising for Offensive Line recruiting in the 2021 class. Fast forward to now and the waters are much muddier than any of us could have ever expected. Texas has two quality commitments in Hayden Conner and Michael Myslinski. The question becomes who the next targets are to emerge this late in the process and without being able to get out an evaluate kids in person. Erick Cade of Denton Braswell is a name I keep hearing come up and Texas offered him over a year ago. He’s a tough guy to track down, but I’m trying.

Targets: Savion Byrd (Duncanville, TX), Erick Cade (Denton, TX)

Defensive Line 

Needs: 3 or 4

Commits (2): Ja’Tavion Sanders (Denton, TX) and Jordon Thomas (Port Arthur, TX)

Outlook: Texas has a 5-star onboard in Sanders and a quality SDE-type in Thomas. Texas is looking to add an interior presence to close out the class and Shemar Turner is at the top of the list. The Longhorns are also strong contenders for Albert Regis and Ike Iwunnah. They are thought to trail for Marcus Burris and Dametrious Crownover has been considered an A&M lock for a long time after the Aggies signed his brother last year. 

Targets: Shemar Turner (DeSoto, TX), Albert Regis (La Porte, TX), Ike Iwunnah (Garland, TX), Marcus Burris (Texarkana, TX), Dametrious Crownover (Grandview, TX)

Linebackers

Needs: 2 or 3

Commits (2): Morice Blackwell Jr. (Arlington, TX) and Derrick Harris Jr. (New Caney, TX)

Outlook: I’m counting Derrick Harris Jr. as a Linebacker since he’s likely slated to develop in the JACK role in Chris Ash’s defense. Morice Blackwell Jr. is a quality pickup and all attention for the past few months has been on closing with Shadow Creek standout Terence Cooks. Cooks is inching closer and closer to announcing a decision.

Targets: Terence Cooks (Pearland, TX)

Defensive Backs 

Needs: 5

Commits (4): Ishmael Ibraheem (CB) (Dallas, TX), Jamier Johnson (CB) (Pasadena, CA), JD Coffey (S) (Kennedale, TX), and Billy Bowman Jr. (NB/S) (Denton, TX) 

Outlook: Texas initially looked like they wanted a smaller DB class this cycle but things have changed. The Longhorns have four high-quality commitments in the Secondary and all eyes and attention are now on Austin LBJ standout Andrew Mukuba, who Texas faces stiff competition from Clemson among others for. Recent offers Jalon Williams and Devin Lemear recently committed to Boston College and Baylor, respectively, but the Texas staff wasn’t pushing hard on either guy.

Targets: Andrew Mukuba (S) (Austin, TX)

*******************************************************************************************************

Where would the 2021 Texas OOS commits rank if they were in Texas? 

I last updated my 2021 class rankings in early June (which you can find here) and a few have asked in the past where a few of the non-texans that Texas has committed would rank if they were within state borders. With the Longhorns adding two more non-texans to the commit list in the past week, I figured now would be a good time to take a gander. 

CB Jamier Johnson (Pasadena, CA)

Johnson-300x159.jpg

Where he fits in: Johnson is rated as a consensus 4-star prospect. In what is what I consider a weaker year than usual at his position in-state, Johnson would fit in somewhere towards the back end of the top 5 available Corners this year which means that he would likely fall in the 45-50 overall range for myself personally.

In-State Prospect I compare him to: Hunter Washington (Florida St)

Junior Highlights:

WR Jaden Alexis (Pompano Beach, FL) 

alexis-300x225.jpg

Where he fits in: I’m an Alexis fan. I think you’re on the right side of the gambling table whenever you take a chance on a prospect with NFL bloodlines. Not to mention the verified speed. I’m excited about the skillset and versatility that this guy brings to the table and he has much better production than the guy I compare him to in the class. Jaden would land anywhere between 45-55. 

In-State Prospect I compare him to: Theodore Knox (Mississippi St) 

Junior Highlights:

WR Casey Cain (New Orleans, LA)

cain-300x300.jpg

Where he fits in: Cain is a consensus 3-star guy although I feel like he would have turned some heads this spring/summer. There have been some rumblings that LSU has been sniffing around here, but we’ll cross that bridge when/if they offer. I really like Cain as a prospect. I’d rate him somewhere in the 55-60 range if my rankings were expanded. 

In-State prospect I compare him to: Hal Presley (Baylor)

Junior Highlights:

OC Michael Myslinski (Jacksonville, FL)

myslin-300x300.jpg

Where he fits in: Myslinski is listed at 6’2 285lbs. James Brockermeyer is listed at 6’3 273lbs. Both listings are a little generous, in my opinion. Both players have NFL bloodlines, very good technique, and a mean streak that can’t be taught. I think they’re VERY similar prospects and I believe the rankings would reflect that if Myslinski got nearly as much attention as James does in part due to his superstar prospect twin, Tommy. James was my 50th rated player overall and Myslinki wouldn’t be far behind. He’d fall in the 55-60 range along with Casey Cain. 

In-State Prospect I compare him to: James Brockermeyer (Alabama)

Junior Highlights:

TE Gunnar Helm (Englewood, CO)

helm-300x180.jpg

Where he fits in: Helm is a guy that I like. I don’t like him better than Elijah Arroyo, though, who is one of only two Tight Ends to make my top 50 list. Regardless, he was a quality pick-up for Texas and the best fit at the position that they’ve found so far. I’d rank Helm in the 70-80 range most likely. 

In-State Prospect I compare him to: Lake McRee (USC)

Junior Highlights:

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Jonathon Brooks isn’t rated highly, but Stan Drayton targeted the East Texas product early in the process

Dang man does bEAST Texas not get enough recognition already without having to claim a South Central Texas kid!?

I will not stand for this by god!

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting to hear LSU might be interested in Cain. I like that dude, I get that people think he’s slow, but I was impressed with his highlights - just makes plays and IIRC there’s a decent number of plays of him putting someone on their ass which is a way underrated skill for a WR. 

Im surprised his offer list looks like it does unless he’s just one of these kids that doesn’t report his offers.

5 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Interesting to hear LSU might be interested in Cain. I like that dude, I get that people think he’s slow, but I was impressed with his highlights - just makes plays and IIRC there’s a decent number of plays of him putting someone on their ass which is a way underrated skill for a WR. 

Im surprised his offer list looks like it does unless he’s just one of these kids that doesn’t report his offers.

Well, with the lack of camps and games, I'm guessing you won't see as many late runs of offers for under-the-radar prospects this cycle.

Edited by Bevo14

Well, with the lack of camps and games, I'm guessing you won't see as many late runs of offers for under-the-radar prospects this cycle.

You will. Coaches have nothing but time to watch film and recruit. It’s been argued that we are at a disadvantage because our coaches will be busy playing a season.

It will be a big year for marginal football players with elite measurables.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Seeing on a few sites Mukuba will be committing September 7th.

When a kid ditches us for, well, a few $EC kind of reasons, I'll get upset. 

When a smart kid from an immigrant family picks Clemson, yeah, I get it. Purely business in the "I need to get NFL-good at football" sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1