Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Clemson 247 / Anna L Hickey / Scoop: Andrew Mukuba eyes decision date

Spoiler

Scoop: Andrew Mukuba eyes decision date
ANNA HICKEY

For months now Clemson has made four-star Andrew Mukuba of Austin (Texas) LBJ its priority target at safety for the 2021 class. 

Mukuba has consistently cited intentions of taking official visits once the dead period lifts prior to making a commitment decision. 

On Wednesday, the NCAA once again announced the extension of the dead period (through Sept. 30); as a result, Mukuba told Clemson247 on Thursday that he's working towards an expedited decision timeframe. 

"I hope to make a decision on Sept. 7 because that's when school and football start for me," Mukuba said. "That's the plan I'm working toward now. There's probably not going to be visits, so at some point I just want to decide. Schoolwork and my football season are really important to me and I don't want recruiting to take away from that.

"When the NCAA announced it yesterday, I just thought about having a football season I’m looking forward to. School is going to be a lot. Plus the recruiting process can get stressful and I'm ready to put an end to it." 

Mukuba has not released a formal list of schools, but the primary programs in contention down the stretch include Clemson, LSU, Texas, and Missouri. Of those four, he's only visited Texas in-person. 

"It's going to be different making a decision based on not having been to campus, but I'm just going to go with the research I've done, plus the facts and stuff like that," he said. 

Mukuba said he talks to Clemson and Texas once or twice a week. LSU communicates with him every day. 

"I feel like some schools know the relationship that we have, and they don't want to feel like they're bugging me and pressing me, so they give me space," Mukuba said. "Others think they need to text me every day, but that's OK— I don't mind that. It's just different for different schools." 

Clemson offered Mukuba in March. The Tigers, which are on pace to take one safety this cycle, covet Mukuba's versatility and playmaking ability. 

"They're telling me I'm their No. 1 focus and they've turned down some players who wanted to commit just to focus on me," Mukuba said. "They develop good players and the culture there is really good from what I've seen. You really can't go wrong with them." 

The Tigers signed a couple of safeties in 2020, including R.J. Mickens from Dallas. 

"I spoke with R.J. and he told me the Clemson coaches kept it real with him the whole recruiting process," Mukuba said. 

Clemson is obviously located a plane ride away from Austin. 

"I'm OK with the [distance]," Mukuba said. "Yeah I'm OK. I might get a little homesick, but I'm OK with that though. I'm going to handle business when I'm there." 

247Sports ranks Mukuba as the No. 12 safety and No. 208 overall prospect in his class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not necessarily Texas related but I guess Hayes worked on a few edits dropping tomorrow.

Bobby Taylor, come on down and collect your edit of yourself as a wax figure in a Sooner jersey, a couple of smaller pictures of yourself in your Katy jersey, OU's stadium, and the horse mascot, with a muddy red and black background.

Why on earth every Texas and OU recruit doesn't have TFB do a video for them (or a livestream hat dance if they're old school) is beyond me.

Spoiler

And, man, look at the weak shit kids committing to smaller schools get. I, no joke at all, could do better in Photoshop over my lunch hour:

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Bobby Taylor, come on down and collect your edit of yourself as a wax figure in a Sooner jersey, a couple of smaller pictures of yourself in your Katy jersey, OU's stadium, and the horse mascot, with a muddy red and black background.

Why on earth every Texas and OU recruit doesn't have TFB do a video for them (or a livestream hat dance if they're old school) is beyond me.

Hide contents

And, man, look at the weak shit kids committing to smaller schools get. I, no joke at all, could do better in Photoshop over my lunch hour:

Well if you’d quit being so got dam lazy and start making edits, then we’d all have a lot more inside info around here. I’m starting to question your commitment to the #marchto1000

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

By the way, for those keeping track of the roster, Hank Coutoumanos is no longer listed, which opens up a spot for a last minute transfer if we need it without having to take Derrian off

I had forgotten he was 'the other guy' who got the scholarship at the same time as that Luke kid.  So, I mean, really, we have two spots available.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I had forgotten he was 'the other guy' who got the scholarship at the same time as that Luke kid.  So, I mean, really, we have two spots available.

I don't think they'll drop the scholarship of a PWO whose been knighted. It's a big selling point for Herman in landing the best PWOs in the country. 

8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Not necessarily Texas related but I guess Hayes worked on a few edits dropping tomorrow.

Working through who this could be

Malcolm Johnson is likely committing today, probably Auburn. Tunmise could go gator today. Leigh could drop to swamp aggy. Fidone and Edwards are both expected to drop soon. Could obviously be a multitude of others, but rumblings say Johnson, Tunmise, and maybe Leigh + unknowns

Mike Roach: Texas Top 100

As members of the 2021 class prepare to enter their senior seasons, Horns247 recruiting editor Mike Roach is releasing his Texas Top 100. Over the course of the year, Roach visited schools and evaluated prospects at several camps and 7v7 settings. Last season, Roach attended 55 football games during the fall season to see players live. Though the COVID-19 shutdown prevented a statewide spring tour for Roach, he has still been hard at work evaluating film and limited camp and 7v7 settings to put this list together. These rankings are purely opinion, and in no way do they supersede the official rankings our experts at 247Sports work so hard to put together.

Each prospect is listed with their height and weight along with the settings they were evaluated in over their high school career. The Top 100 rankings will drop in five installments throughout the week. Please check back each day to see the latest update.

100. Fernando Garza, TE, Katy (6-5, 244)

Evaluations: Film

Analysis: Garza saw his stock rise this spring and committed to Texas A&M shortly after the Aggies offered in May. A classic tight end with legitimate skills as a blocker and receiver, Garza shows a mean streak at the point of attack and above average attributes as a pass catcher for one of the best programs in Texas.

99. Latrell Neville, WR, Fort Bend Hightower (6-3, 195)

Evaluations: Film, camp, 7v7, skills training

Analysis: A known commodity since his freshman year, Neville committed to Nebraska in July. After transferring to Hightower last season, Neville didn’t quite put up the production expected of him. With a huge frame with jump ball skills, Neville has the potential to skyrocket with a big season during his senior year.

98. Adrian Shepherd, S, McKinney (5-10, 180)

Evaluations: Film, practice

Analysis: Shepherd committed to Washington State in June, and his list of offers might have been bigger if there was a spring evaluation period. A physical prospect, Shepherd closes like lightning and has no problem sticking his hat inside to blow up a run play. With strong range in centerfield, Shepherd’s film shows the potential to raise his stock with a big senior season.

97. Shedeur Sanders, QB, Trinity Christian Cedar Hill (6-1, 198)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, 7v7

Analysis: The son of NFL hall of famer Deion Sanders, Shedeur chose Florida Atlantic in July. A four-year starter in high school, Sanders has been insanely productive leading his team to two state titles. Sanders is steady in the pocket and shows the ability to make reads through a progression. His arm strength leaves a bit to be desired, but he shows advanced touch and understanding throwing the ball.

96. Brayden Schager, QB, Highland Park (6-3, 200)

Analysis: Schager was possibly the steal of the year when Hawaii landed him in the summer. After sitting behind established stars at Highland Park like Chandler Rogers, Schager finally gets his time to start. Despite limited high school film, Schager made a name for himself on the 7v7 scene with Dallas-based Team Grind. Schager shows the arm strength to make any throw and the ball pops coming out of his hand. Had there been a spring evaluation period, he’d have probably had more prestigious offers.

95. Jackson Bailey, LB, Red Oak (6-1, 220)

Evaluations: Film, camp, practice

Analysis: Bailey put down a productive season in 2019, and he established himself as one to watch in the spring before committing to Arizona. Bailey shows a wide array of skills including the ability to shut down the run and play in space. A strong tackler, Bailey’s skillset is versatile enough to deploy in a number of different packages.

94. Torey Phillips, DL, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-5, 270)

Evaluations: Film, game, practice

Analysis: Phillips can be overlooked playing next to Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris, but the east Texas big man shows the skill to play at the FBS level. Strong at the point of attack and quick enough to play on the edge, Phillips is still scratching the surface on what he can be as a player at the next level.

93. Jaedon Wilson, WR, DeSoto (6-3, 172)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, practice, 7v7

Analysis: The Arkansas commit and brother of former Ohio State running back Dontre Wilson is preparing for his third year as a starter at the south Dallas power program. A clean route runner with strong leaping ability, Wilson shows strong hands and a knack for physical play at the high point. Wilson’s big frame an long-striding skill should play up as a physical outside receiver in the SEC.

92. Romario Noel, S, Cy-Ranch (6-3, 194)

Analysis: A Baylor commit, Noel, tested off the charts during The Opening regional in 2019. A big safety and possible linebacker target, Noel closes quickly and shows sturdy tackling ability. Scheme-versatile depending on where he ends up, Noel is the type of hybrid player becoming more valuable at every level of football.

91. Ikechukwu Iwunnah, DT, Garland Lakeview Centennial (6-4, 275)

Analysis: A raw but physically intriguing prospect, Iwunnah can be dominant at times with his size inside. Incredible length and good straight line speed stands out, and the way he uses his strength and fame on the bull rush is tough to defend. Iwunnah still has much to learn when it comes to playing the position, but the physical tools suggest a high ceiling.

90. Montaye Dawson, APB, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (5-7, 165)

Analysis: The SMU commit has electric speed and could set all kinds of records at All Saints depending on how long the season goes. A jitterbug of an athlete with a strong build, Dawson flashes great quickness and initial burst, and if he reaches the open field, there is no catching him. Dawson shows the versatility to line up in the backfield or flex to the slot depending on the offensive package.

89. Charles Wright, QB, Austin High School (6-1, 194)

Analysis: A four-year player, Wright made his first impact for the Maroons as a freshman. The Austin High School star chose Iowa State early in the year, and his production with a lackluster supporting cast shows he can make something out of nothing. Wright’s accuracy is strong, especially on deep balls, and he shows some ability to extend plays with his legs.

88. Jacoby Jackson, OT, Mansfield Summit (6-6, 320)

Evaluations: Film, camp

Analysis: A TCU commit, has a massive frame with great length and bulk. Jackson shows a mean streak at the point of attack and buries defenders once he locks on. He shows strong athleticism and potential with room to grow as a pass blocker at the next level.

87. Chris Murray, DE, Wichita Falls Hirschi (6-3, 240)

Analysis: The TCU commit showed up after a strong junior season. Murray shows great quickness and devastating hands from the edge which allows him to disrupt offenses and generate a pass rush. Murray’s motor doesn’t seem to run cold, and he can play the run or pass effectively.

86. Terrell Tilmon, DE, Mansfield Timberview (6-4, 210)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, skills training

Analysis: Long and explosive, Tilmon is built more like a wide receiver than an edge rusher. An intriguing blend of athleticism and length, Tilmon could work to generate more production as an edge rusher. His strong first step allows him to gain ground on opposing tackles, and he uses his hands well enough to prevent his opponents from engaging. The Oregon commit has a huge ceiling depending on how he develops physically.

85. Kai Horton, QB, Carthage (6-4, 215)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game

Analysis: Horton took the reins at the perennial powerhouse program and led the Bulldogs to another state title. A big passer with a dropback style, Horton shows the ability to push the ball downfield and fit it into tight windows. He’s athletic enough to extend plays and make strong throws on the run. Horton reads defenses well and takes care of the ball as evidenced by his 49/6 touchdown to interception ratio.
2021 WR Da'Wain Lofton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

84. Da'Wain Lofton, WR, Fort Worth North Side (5-10, 175)

Analysis: The Virginia Tech commit emerged following a huge junior season and strong spring on the 7v7 circuit. An all-state and district MVP last season, Lofton plays on both sides of the ball. His natural skill at receiver and ability to turn short passes into long scoring plays is really what sets him apart. Lofton shows great ability to separate from defenders and find the open field. Lofton shows great ability after the catch and has the versatility to play inside or outside.

83. Chase Lowery, CB, Frisco (6-0, 180)

Analysis: A two-way star at Frisco High School, the Arkansas commit earned district MVP honors as a junior. Lowery is a big play athlete who can go get the ball on offense or lock down on opposing receivers on defense. He’s also an asset on returns. Lowery’s quick feet and natural feel for the game could allow him to see the field early in Fayetteville.

82. Hampton Fay, QB, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (6-5, 210)

Analysis: A Michigan State commit, Fay missed time during his junior season due to injury after serving as a backup at Aledo during his sophomore year. Fay shows the ability to make throws to any level of the field, and he can also make plays with his legs as well. Fay competes on the All Saints 4X1 team and could be in for a huge year at the private school level.

81. Jimmy Valsin, WR, Arlington Bowie (6-3, 180)

Analysis: Valsin shows an intriguing blend of size and speed as an outside receiver. He can push defenses vertically and win jump balls, or he can take a quick screen and score from anywhere on the field. With quick feet and strong hands, Valsin is a strong sleeper candidate to develop into an NFL star at the next level.

80. Cisco Caston, S, Weatherford (6-2, 195)

Evaluations: Film, camp, 7v7

Analysis: Caston’s big frame and physical play jumped out this spring as he picked up a gang of offers for before committing to Baylor. With strong range from the centerfield position and heavy hitting ability, Caston could stick as a big safety or move to a hybrid role where he can play as a space backer in certain packages.

79, Ahmonte Watkins, RB, Klein Forest (5-10, 173)

Analysis: Watkins transferred to Texas after playing his first three years at the small school level in Louisiana. He recorded strong testing times during The Opening regional camp in 2019. Watkins is a bit slight in build, but his acceleration and quickness stands out immediately and his raw speed creates big plays each time he touches the ball. Watkins could see his stock rise with a big season at the high levels of Texas football.

78. Roderick Daniels, WR, Duncanville (5-9, 160)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, practice, 7v7, skills training

Analysis: No player helped his stock more last season than Duncanville’s big play threat. A Baylor commit, Daniels shows electric ability to take the top off of defenses vertically and the quickness to make plays in space. Though slight of frame, Daniels has all of the natural playmaking ability to shine in the Big 12.

77. Connnor Heffernan, OG, Georgetown (6-4, 260)

Analysis: Heffernan gets active quickly, and the Baylor commit’s track and field background along with his wrestling experience suggests a strong future at the position. With great feet and strong technique, Heffernan plays with a mean streak and is an asset as a zone or base blocker. He’s far more advanced as a run blocker, but his pass sets show potential once he adds weight.

76. Cam'Ron Valdez, RB, Rockdale (5-10, 187)

Analysis: Valdez raced to over 25 offers quickly and his film showed some explosive ability. With fluid hips and quick feet, Valdez shows the ability to make defenders miss in short spaces while running away from them in the open field. Though he will need to add weight at the next level, Valdez has enough of everything you want in a back to find a role on a team.

75. Brandon Campbell, RB, Katy (5-10,190)

Analysis: Campbell’s tested off the charts on several occasions, and he’s built like a dream at the running back position. His 7v7 and camp production have been fantastic, but his constant transferring at the high school level leaves some questions to be answered. Limited film also leads to several questions, but at his best, Campbell can be a dynamic receiving threat with breakaway speed and big play ability.
Landyn Watson (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

74. Cullen Montgomery, OT, Bellaire Episcopal (6-5, 315)

Analysis: Montgomery has a tremendous frame with great length and bulk. The Oklahoma commit plays with tremendous power at the point of attack and easily overwhelms smaller defenders with a tenacious and physical style. Though he’s a bit heavy footed in his pass sets, Montgomery looks like a player who could bump inside to guard or stick at right tackle.

73. Landyn Watson, EDGE, Hutto (6-3, 235)

Evaluations: Film, camp, skills training

Analysis: Watson has been a strong edge rusher since his sophomore season at Hutto. He’s a bit of a tweener that will need to be deployed in the proper way to maximize his skillset. Watson shows good athleticism and pursuit, and he plays with an incredible motor. His use of hands at the point of attack is advanced and his lateral ability is tough to stop for opposing linemen.

72. Brandon Epton, RB, Dallas Kimball (5-11, 181)

Analysis: I’m probably higher on the SMU commit than most, but he was one of my favorite backs to watch on film. While his frame is a bit limited, he shows a natural feel for finding cutback lanes and eluding defenders. While his athletic context numbers don’t back it up, Epton shows big play speed on the field.

71. Juan Davis, ATH, Everman (6-4, 217)

Evaluations: Film, camp, practice, game, 7v7

Analysis: Davis is all projection at this point. A high school quarterback who could either play tight end or on defense at the next level, his big frame and ability to make plays with his feet suggest that he could develop into a key weapon if used correctly. Davis showed strong production in his junior season after committing to Texas last summer.
Blaine Green (Photo: Andrew Hattersley, 247Sports)

70. Blaine Green, WR, Allen (6-1, 204)

Analysis: An Oklahoma State commit, Green had a strong junior season at Allen after emerging as a sophomore. Green shows strong route running ability and natural pass catching skill. His body control and quick feet allow him to gain separation find the ball in the air. More of a possession player than a big play threat, Green will be a reliable target at the next level.

69. Hunter Washington, CB, Katy (5-11, 178)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, 7v7, skills training

Analysis: Washington has been a three-year starter at power program Katy. The Florida State commit shows quick feet and good hips, and he has no problem playing with physicality when supporting against the run. He shows good technique in press and enough fluidity to stick at cornerback at the next level.

68. Braylen Jackson, DE, Mansfield Lake Ridge (6-3, 265)

Analysis: Jackson shows a strong first step for his size and he’s disruptive with his length and technical skill. Jackson shows strong pursuit and he plays disciplined and with good gap integrity. His athleticism and scheme versatility could feature him at defensive end or tackle depending on the package.

67. Braylon Braxton, QB, Frisco Independence (6-2, 200)

Analysis: A productive passer in a competitive district, Braxton is yet another in a talented crop of Texas quarterbacks in 2021. Braxton throws the deep ball with great arm strength and accuracy. He’s a strong enough runner to extend plays and give his offense the added dynamic of designed runs. Braxton shows the ability to make throws from many different platforms and his touch is advanced.

66. Canon Boone, OL, Dickinson (6-4, 280)

Analysis: Boone’s frame is already promising and he still has room for added growth. Boone plays with great pad level and technique, and he shows the ability to block on the move and reach the second level. Boone shows a nasty disposition and buries any defender he locks on to. Boone will need a bit of work in his pass sets, but he has the chance to play above his ranking.

65. Jordan Jenkins, RB, Lindale (6-1, 202)

Analysis: Jenkins has the type of frame and athleticism to make a big impact at the next level. A productive east Texas back, Jenkins accounted for over 2,000 all-purpose yards and 32 touchdowns. Jenkins dominates his level of play with size and he runs through contact with ease. While he appears to be a bit stiff, Jenkins has a role as a workhorse back who can contribute as a pass catcher.

64. Derrick Harris, EDGE, New Caney (6-3, 215)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, skills training

Analysis: Harris is morphing from a traditional linebacker to an edge rushing prospect. Harris’s length and athleticism are tough to handle on the pass rush, but he’s still growing and learning the position. Harris plays with a strong motor and active hands at the line of scrimmage. The Texas commit’s ranking could rise with more production at the position in his senior season.

63. Dylan Goffney, WR, Cypress Bridgeland (6-1, 195)

Analysis: Goffney is one of my favorite prospects in the state to watch. A big play receiver with excellent explosive ability, the SMU commit can push defenses vertically from the outside, and his body control and hands allow him to adjust to the ball in the air. A clean route runner with explosive breaks, Goffney is a bit of a steal for the Mustangs.
Jonathon Brooks (Photo: 247Sports)

62. Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville (6-0, 185)

Analysis: Texas had no problem offering and aggressively recruiting Brooks until they got his commitment. Brooks has the feet and hips to make defenders miss in small spaces and the elusiveness to make multiple cuts while keeping his speed. Brooks has good size and dominates at a small school level.

61. Jonathan Jones, DL, McKinney (6-4, 230)

Analysis: Jones impressed me when I saw him live in a summer strength workout. He has a legitimate frame and he plays tenaciously at the point of attack. Jones shows an above average first step and he pursues the ball with a great motor. The Missouri commit is still growing into his frame and could develop into an NFL body at the next level.

60. Jerand Bradley, WR, DeSoto (6-5, 200)

Analysis: Bradley did damage at the private school level before moving over to Desoto prior to his senior season. A nimble route runner with great size, Bradley uses his length and leaping ability to go up and get the ball. He shows the ability to make difficult contested catches and turn short screens into long gains. Bradley shows off some of the best hands in the state and should be a big weapon for the Eagles this year.

59. Jacob Rodriguez, ATH, Wichita Falls Rider (6-2, 205)

Evaluations: Film, game

Analysis: Rodriguez is listed as a quarterback, but he has the versatility to play several other positions. One of the best pure football players I saw last year, Rodriguez also starts at middle linebacker and shows a sledgehammer presence as a runner. The Virginia commit brings a physical brand to either side of the ball and can be deployed in a number of ways.

58. Lyrik Rawls, S, Marshall (6-1, 180)

Analysis: Rawls was one of the players I was most excited to see this spring.  A two-way star, Rawls can play receiver or defensive back.  Rawls shows incredible range at safety and quickness at receiver and great deep speed.  With great leaping ability and tremendous length Rawls has the tools to develop into a high-end player.

57. Tate Williams, OG, Wall (6-4, 264)

Analysis: A flat-backed, nasty athlete at the guard position, Williams was one of the biggest reasons for Wall’s success last season.  An athletic prospect with great movement ability, Williams shows the ability to maul in the run game and move to the second and third level to engage players in space.  He has a relative lack of experience as a pass blocker, but his frame and athletic profile along with his athletic context numbers (166-2 discus and 51-8 shotput) suggest a high ceiling for growth.

56. Byron Murphy, DT, DeSoto (6-1, 290)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, practice

Analysis: A stout interior lineman with incredible strength and quickness, Murphy is extremely disruptive as a one-gap penetrator and tough to stop on the bull rush. A strong pursuer of the ball, Murphy plays with an incredible motor and closes quickly once he sees the ball. His frame might limit him a bit, but I feel Baylor got a steal with this one.

55. Mark Wilson, S, Clear Lake (6-0, 170)

Analysis: I’m way higher on Wilson than the rest of the industry, and I love his blend of size and skill. A lanky prospect with great initial burst, the Houston commit can play safety or nickel and provide a boost as a return man. Wilson shows strong range in the secondary along with great ball skills. He’s a perfect fit for the multiple secondary formations prevalent in today’s game.

54. Quaydarius Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline (6-0, 193)

Analysis: There are times when Davis can absolutely take over a game by himself and provide explosive plays from inside or outside. The USC commit has the ability to climb the ladder and win contested balls unlike anyone else in his class, and he can make plays in space. Consistency will be a big part of his game as he took a step back in 2019.

53. Jaeden Roberts, OG, North Shore (6-5, 340)

Analysis: A mountain of a man on the interior, the Auburn commit transferred from Kansas to North Shore last season. Roberts is a powerful interior prospect with the ability to move opponents with ease. Though he might be a bit too big at this point in time, Roberts owns college-ready size and strength.

52. Hayden Conner, OT, Katy Taylor (6-6, 317)

Analysis: Conner is a high-motor player with big time strength and technique.  He added too much weight during his junior season, but he dropped some pounds during the summer.  Conner is a bit too heavy footed to play on the edge and will probably have to play right tackle or on the interior.  That said, his work ethic and hard play signify a possible riser with a bounce back senior season.

51. Terrence Cooks, LB, Alvin Shadow Creek (6-2, 210)

Analysis: I expect Cooks to be one of the biggest risers if there is a fall season this year.  He possesses all of the physical tools necessary to be a highly rated recruit, but he just didn’t get a lot of film as a junior on a stacked Shadow Creek program that won state.  Sources at Shadow Creek tell me that Cooks possesses “freakish” athletic traits, and he’s the type of space backer that thrives in the Big 12.

50. Kendrick Blackshire, LB, Duncanville (6-2, 245)

Analysis: Blackshire hasn’t played since his sophomore season after missing time last season because of injury. The Alabama commit has a massive frame and looks great on the hoof, but he’ll have to prove this season that he’s come back strong and can play in space. Blackshire is listed at linebacker, but he’s added a ton of weight and could possibly be a defensive lineman.

49. Landen King, TE, Atascocita (6-5, 220)

Analysis: King is another player I’m higher on than the rest of the industry. As the tight end position continues to morph, King represents the type of dynamic pass catcher who can stress defenses vertically. King should only improve by continuing to add weight and refine his blocking ability.

48. Theodore Knox, WR, The Woodlands (5-10, 167)

Analysis: Billed as the fastest player in the state of Texas, Knox certainly has the juice to threaten defenses with the deep ball. The Mississippi State commit is a bit of a one trick pony, but it’s a pretty good trick. Knox has the ability to score any time the ball is in his hands, and he’s looking to bounce back this fall after suffering an injury last year.

47. Jalon Williams, CB, South Grand Prairie (5-11, 180)

Analysis: A Boston College commit, Williams owns incredible speed and short area explosion. He shows clean feet and fluid hips that allow him to apply sticky coverage to his opponents. Williams plays the ball well in the air and shows natural instincts for reading coverage and attacking the ball. He has the potential to be the biggest sleeper in this class.

46. Isaiah Nwokobia, S, Dallas Skyline (6-0, 191)

Analysis: Nwokobia has an impressive frame and he can fit in a multitude of ways. A physical safety prospect, Nwokobia shows strong range and physical tackling ability when coming downhill. An SMU commit, Nwokobia could be a package player who excels in a number of different defensive looks.

45. Eli Stowers, QB, Denton Guyer (6-4, 215)

Evaluations: Film, game,

Analysis: I’m lower on Stowers than the rest of the industry. I love his frame and athleticism, but I’m still skeptical of his ability as a true passer. Stowers stepped his production up in 2019 and suffered an unfortunate injury early in the state final game. Stowers has the tools to suggest an incredible ceiling, but the passing mechanics and ability to make difficult throws consistently aren’t there for me quite yet.

44. Jaydon Williams, LB, South Oak Cliff (6-1, 195)

Evaluations: Film, game, practice, 7v7

Analysis: Williams is a bit of a projection, but the Arizona State commit made a big impact after moving from receiver to outside linebacker.  Williams is incredibly explosive from the edge and runs the arc naturally for a guy who has never played the position.  I’m extremely interested to see what his senior year has in store.

43. Behren Morton, QB, Eastland (6-2, 185)

Analysis: A Texas Tech commit, Morton shows an interesting skillset with a knack for throwing the deep ball.  Despite a prolonged windup, Morton gets the ball out relatively quickly and with zip in the intermediate game.  The Elite 11 finalist can make throws to any level of the field, and he shows a good understanding for throwing the ball accurately and on time.

42. Hal Presley, WR, Mansfield Summit (6-3, 190)

Analysis: Presley is one of my favorite receivers in the metroplex as the Baylor commit has some big time jets and the ability to push defenses vertically. With a strong build and quick feet, Presley can play a multitude of roles at the next level.

41. James Brockermeyer, OL, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (6-3, 273)

Analysis: From the moment I met the Brockermeyer brothers I realized that James wasn’t just a throw in to his five-star brother. A nasty player on the interior, Brockermeyer is growing into his frame and playing with great technique. Now that he’s added to his frame, I believe the Alabama commit’s skillset will thrive at the next level.

40. Matthew Wykoff, OT, Magnolia (6-5, 304)

Analysis: Wykoff impressed me with a strong performance in the playoffs against Texas signee Prince Dorbah last fall. While not as athletic as some of his peers in the class, Wykoff shows the versatility to play all five positions on the offensive line. He plays with great technique and toughness, and he should be able to get up to speed quickly when he reaches campus at Texas A&M.

39. Tavierre Dunlap, RB, Del Valle (6-0, 196)

Analysis: Dunlap is flying too far under the radar for my taste. A big back with a huge frame, Dunlap put together strong testing numbers last time he verified and his production is impressive as well. An upright runner without a lot of wiggle, Dunlap is a great fit for a one-cut system that wants a workhorse to pound the rock.
Kyron Drones (Photo: 247Sports)

38. David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy (6-4, 248)

Analysis: Abiara has a phenomenal frame and he uses his length well to stab and hold off opposing offensive linemen. Strong in pursuit as a pass rusher and good anchor against the run, Abiara showed out against strong competition last season. With versatility to play on the edge or the interior depending on the situation, and he brings an aggressive brand of football up front.

37. Kyron Drones, QB, Alvin Shadow Creek (6-2, 195)

Analysis: Drones really changed my opinion of him in the last year. After having some questions about his throwing ability, I thought he acquitted himself very well during the Elite 11 finals. A strong athlete with dual threat ability, Drones showed he could make difficult throws with timing and accuracy. Drones always had a big arm, but I was excited to see how much control he had.

36. Marcus Burris, DL, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-4, 280)

Analysis: Burris is still scratching the surface on how good of a football player he can be. Burris jumped out two years ago when Landon Jackson was lost to injury, and Burris capably filled a star role on the defensive line. A big body with nimble feet, Burris should benefit from a move inside and some time in the weight room.

35. Albert Regis, DL, La Porte (6-1, 300)

Analysis: For me, Regis is one of the most intriguing prospects in the state of Texas. His size and athleticism combination is incredible, and it could pay off as an interior penetrator. Still, he’s added weight since his junior film came out and we will see how he looks as a senior up front. If He can use it to his advantage, Regis has the ability to turn into a true difference maker up front.

34. Morice Blackwell, LB, Arlington Martin (6-1, 196)

Evaluations: Film, game, 7v7, skills training

Analysis: Blackwell jumped onto my radar last fall during a productive season. The Texas commit was seemingly all over the field any time I saw Martin in action, and he was tough to miss. Blackwell fits into what the new wave of linebacker looks like in football. Smaller and swifter than the traditional lumbering player, Blackwell’s play in space and noese for the ball should be huge in a conference like the Big 12.

33. Elijah Bean, WR, Humble Summer Creek (6-5, 185)

Analysis: Bean is just one part of a very impressive wide receiver class for Baylor. A big framed receiver with impressive testing times that translates well to the field. Bean shows the size and speed to play the possession game or take the top off of defenses. The ceiling is there for Bean to really develop into a superstar in the Big 12.

32. Sawyer Robertson, QB, Lubbock Coronado (6-3.5, 190)

Analysis: Robertson plays in a wide open offense and he’s been very productive within it. With a big frame and big arm, Robertson shows impressive arm talent. He can mix in touch and accuracy on deep balls when needed, but he can throw it through a wall when he needs to fit it into a small space. Mechanically, Robertson will need to clean up his lower body at the next level, but learning under Mike Leach at Mississippi State should help.

31. JD Coffey, S, Kennedale (6-0.5, 180)

Analysis: Coffey is one of the most experienced players in high school football. A four-year starter, Coffey shows incredible instincts and feel for the game from the centerfield position. Whether it be in coverage or as a physical hitter playing in the box, Coffey is the type of steady guy teams love to have on the back end of the defense.

30. Reuben Fatheree, OL, Richmond Foster (6-8, 305)

Analysis: An athletic and gifted basketball player, Fatheree applies his size to the field well. Fatheree shows great length and uses it well, but sometimes defenders can get underneath him on the rush. Quick in his pass drops, Fatheree plays with great balance. He’s tough to shed for defenders, but he could work to finish blocks more.

29. Ketron Jackson, WR, Royse City (6-2, 186)

Analysis: Jackson shows great speed for his size with quick twitch ability and the skill to climb the ladder on 50/50 balls. Jackson uses his big frame well to shield off smaller defenders and he shows some juice after the catch. Jackson shows strong hands and fantastic body control to play the ball over either shoulder.

28. Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, OL, Garland Lakeview Centennial (6-3, 285)

Analysis: A nimble and athletic interior line prospect, Dotson-Oyetade blends quickness and power well from the center position. His ability to move second level and find work is impressive, and he shows the agility to engage space defenders on the move. His basketball and discus background is impressive and he could be one of the best linemen to come out of the state in a few years.

27. J.Michael Sturdivant, WR, Flower Mound Marcus (6-3.5, 185)

Analysis: The Cal commit was impressive during his junior season, and he continued that during the spring 7v7 circuit. A big-framed leaper, Sturdivant thrives in one-on-one coverage where he can go up over defenders. A deep ball threat with decent route running ability, Sturdivant can play any outside receiver position and should be a priority weapon in the red zone.

26. Dematrius Davis, QB, North Shore (5-10.5, 200)

Analysis: There isn’t much conventional about Davis’s game, but it’s hard to argue with his results. Davis at times can look inconsistent in 7v7 and camp settings, but he’s always been at his best in the biggest moments. A true big game player, Davis can make just about any throw on the field, and his running ability is an added bonus.

25. Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ (6-0, 185)

Analysis: Mukuba is still relatively new to the position, but he’s turned into a high end option as a safety. A fluid defender with great feet, Mukuba shows strong range and the physical ability to be a box safety at the next level. Though he’s still a bit raw in technique, Mukuba reads and reacts quickly, and his athleticism helps him make up lost ground, He shows good ball skills and room for growth in his game.

24. Alton McCaskill, RB, Conroe Oak Ridge (6-1, 200)

Analysis: McCaskill will likely be one of the biggest steals for some out of state team in this cycle. With a big frame and legitimate speed, McCaskill was incredibly efficient last season with 10 touchdowns on 7 yards per carry. He shows the power to run inside with the juice to go outside, and he possesses a frame that could carry the load for any team.

23. Latrell McCutchin, CB, Austin LBJ (6-1, 176)

Analysis: McCutchin has some of the best natural skill to go along with his frame, but he lost his junior year to injury. Long framed and aggressive in play, the Oklahoma commit has some high end skill and ability if he can return fully healthy from the knee injury that cost him 2019.

22. Jordon Thomas, DL, Port Arthur Memorial (6-3, 240)

Evaluations: Film, camp, practice, skills training

Analysis: Thomas also lost most of his junior season to injury, but there’s a lot to like with his frame and skillset. While Thomas is still very raw from a technique standpoint, his length and motor are great building blocks to start with. While it’s possible he could still move inside at the next level, the Texas commit is merely scratching the surface of his potential.

21. Preston Stone, QB, Parish Episcopal (6-2, 205)

Analysis: Stone might play at one of the lowest levels in Texas, but his physical tools are as strong as any passer in the state. A dual-threat prospect, Stone can improvise with the best of them, and he shows the arm strength and accuracy coveted in a college passer. Whether from the pocket or on the run, Stone can put the ball anywhere he wants it, and he carries himself with a swagger I love to see in quarterbacks.

20. Garrett Nussmeier, QB, Flower Mound Marcus (6-1.5, 182)

Analysis: Nussmeier probably doesn’t have the ceiling of many of his peers, but I love how high his floor is. The LSU commit and son of NFL assistant Doug Nussmeier is advanced when it comes to his understanding of opposing defenses, and he shows the arm and the savvy to make some big throws in big situations.

19. Deuce Harmon, CB, Denton Guyer (5-10, 190)

Analysis: I’ve been driving the Deuce Harmon bandwagon since before the Texas A&M commit had any offers. Take elite speed and incredible toughness and combine them in a player who works tirelessly to get better and you have Harmon. While he may not have the “ideal” size you look for in a corner, Harmon typically shows up in big time situations.

18. Elijah Arroyo, TE, Frisco Independence (6-4, 210)

Evaluations: Film, 7v7

Analysis: It took me a bit of time to come around on Arroyo, but once I did I was pretty much all in. A big body with big athleticism, Arroyo can do just about everything from the tight end position. More of a flex receiver than anything else, the Miami commit’s leaping ability and incredible catch radius combined with the run after the catch ability are very exciting tools to work with.

17. Shadrach Banks, ATH, North Shore (6-0, 210)

Analysis: Banks is a fascinating case. If I had done this after his sophomore season, he might have been top five. After losing a year to injury and some other guys passing him up, I’m left to wonder where his future position is. I still love his athletic ability and the way he can create big plays at the position like nobody else. Still, I think it’s possible he ends up as a defender before it’s all said and done, but for now I’m going to stick with keeping the Texas A&M commit in the Top 20.

16. Ishmael Ibraheem, CB, Dallas Kimball (6-1, 175)

Analysis: At his best, I believe Ibraheem can be a dominant corner capable of shutting down one side of the field. Ibraheem is all projection at this point, but his athletic profile and frame are incredible, and he should be even more lethal with some college coaching and a college weight program.

15. Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial (5-11, 190)

Analysis: Wheaton’s best tool is his speed, and when he reaches the open field nobody can catch him. His tools allow him to find space, get the ball and score from anywhere on the field. I would like to see him improve his vision and running through contact better, but he is breathtaking to watch when he finds a hole.
Texas QB commit Jalen Milroe (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

14. Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins (6-1.5, 192)

Analysis: While Milroe is still far from a finished product, he possesses some of the best physical tools at the position in the country. Milroe has a cannon for a right arm, and he can drive the ball down the middle of the field with ease. A true dual-threat, Milroe could stand to run the ball a little more. Milroe’s production and accuracy improved as a junior, so it will be interesting to see where he finishes as a senior.

13. Kaidon Salter, QB, Cedar Hill (6-1.5, 185)

Analysis: No player changed my mind more in the last year than Salter. The Tennessee commit came up huge in every game I saw him in and flashed jaw dropping tools. Though his completion percentage is a bit lower, Cedar Hill’s offense is mostly vertical with low percentage throws. Salter can move and put the ball anywhere he wants on the field. A boom or bust type, Salter has the potential to develop into a superstar.

12. Landon Jackson, DE, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-6, 240)

Analysis: A key cog in Pleasant Grove’s reign of dominance over the last few years, the LSU commit has been a manchild since his freshman season. A long-framed athlete with a killer motor, Jackson was dominant at times during an in person evaluation against Carthage and its strong offensive line. Jackson is a fantastic competitor with the size and athleticism to develop into an impact player up front.

11. Savion Byrd, OL, Duncanville (6-5, 265)

Analysis: Byrd is a tough evaluation because he didn’t play offensive line as a junior. There’s a good chance he will stay on the defensive line as a senior as well, so we won’t get a great look at him as an offensive tackle if that happens. Byrd’s frame and athleticism are ideal for the modern left tackle.

10. Bryce Foster, OL, Katy Taylor (6-4.5, 315)

Analysis: Foster is one of the most powerful prospects I’ve ever seen. Though he might lack room for significant growth in size and power, those traits are impressive for even a collegiate athlete. At his best, Foster is a mauler capable of opening huge running lanes and keeping the quarterback clean. I do worry about him adding too much weight, but he’s one of the safer bets in the state of Texas.

9. Clayton Smith, EDGE, Texarkana Texas High (6-4, 220)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, practice, skills training

Analysis: The Oklahoma commit went off during his junior season with 20 sacks and 94 tackles. An athletic specimen from the edge, Smith is lightning on his first step and he shows great hands to defeat offensive linemen. Smith shows the ability to convert speed to power and run the arc naturally, and he can be used in a variety of ways up front.

8. Cody Jackson, WR, Richmond Foster (6-0, 175)

Analysis: Jackson measures well and put up fantastic production over the course of his high school career so far. The Oklahoma commit can play inside or outside and run a large variety of the route tree. A deep threat with strong body control, Jackson tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Jackson shows great ability after the catch and should be college ready.

7. Shemar Turner, DE, Desoto (6-3.5, 282)

Evaluations: Film, camp, game, practice, skills training

Analysis: Turner plays defensive end, but he’s probably headed for the interior of the defensive line at the next level. Turner’s strong build and length allows him to dictate the battle with offensive linemen and stack and shed. Turner is quicker than most interior players, but he can also use his strength to bully opponents.

6. Billy Bowman, ATH, Denton Ryan (5-10, 175)

Analysis: Bowman is the best two way player in the state of Texas with legitimate skills on both sides of the ball.  He’s likely better suited to play defensive back, but he’s also been one of the better big play receivers in the state during his career.  Bowman is also an incredible return man and overall big-play guy. He checks just about every box there is when he steps onto the field.

5. JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo (5-10, 170)

Analysis: Earle has been one of the best players in the state of Texas since making his debut at Aledo during his sophomore season.  An ideal slot candidate, Earle is one of the best route runners I’ve ever seen.  The LSU commit is a silky-smooth athlete with incredible hands and a knack for finding the ends zone.

4. LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair (5-10, 204)

Analysis: Johnson put up big numbers as a junior after recording a 4.42 40-yard dash and 4.26 shuttle in the spring of his sophomore season. Johnson runs instinctively with a great feel for finding cutback lanes and holes. With his low center of gravity, Johnson runs through contact well and shows great balance.

3. Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton Ryan (6-4, 220)

Analysis: The Longhorns scored the best pure pass rusher in the state of Texas last fall. Sanders is a relentless edge rusher with great length and burst at the line of scrimmage. Sanders can also play on the offensive side of the ball as a receiver or flex tight end. Sanders will need to refine his pass rushing technique, but all the tools are there for him to be a high draft pick.

2. Donovan Jackson, OL, Bellaire Episcopal (6-4, 308)

Analysis: Jackson is my pick for the safest prospect in 2021. He showed dominant ability during The Opening finals as a junior going up against the likes of Bryan Breese and Korey Foreman. Jackson has long arms and he’s light on his feet. Jackson rarely makes technical mistakes and plays with great balance and athleticism. His frame might relegate him to the interior, but he will be a star wherever he ends up.

1. Tommy Brockermeyer, OL, Fort Worth all Saints Episcopal (6-6, 283)

Evaluations: Film, camp, practice

Analysis: Brockermeyer lost his junior season to injury, but his longterm projection keeps him in the top spot. A possible first overall pick if he develops, the Alabama commit is fluid, athletic, and nasty. Combine that with Brockermeyer’s NFL pedigree and understanding of NFL technique, and the sky will be the limit for his development.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Reveal hidden contents

25 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's reclassifying and enrolling now

No mascot, but we got JETS!

letsfuckinggo.gif

Humidor

By: Justin Wells, Gerry Hamilton, and Eric Nahlin

It’s hard to cover the program as closely as we do and not pick up on a palpable momentum brewing on and off the field. There’s a feeling among long-time observers things could be getting back to the way they used to be.

No program in the country needs football more than Texas.

QB

It isn’t just the offense that’s moving quicker. Sam Ehlinger’s release and processing has improved since last year. This is the best he’s ever looked. We had a source offer superlatives then finish with, “but I don’t to hype him up too much.” Okay, then. See more on Ehlinger below. He’s poised for a huge send-off.

We continue to hear good things about Hudson Card. He’s noticeably the most accurate quarterback on campus and the most accurate quarterback in the program since Colt McCoy. So far he’s living up to his eval, right down to putting on muscle.

The passing game is much more varied than in previous years. Defenses aren’t going to be able to squat on the slot.

We still haven’t heard much about Ja’Quinden Jackson. When we ask about him we get the stuff typical of freshmen quarterbacks. His physical gifts are clear but he has a ways to go. That was his eval too. Different players have different timelines.

RB

Bijan Robinson looks to be the most gifted running back on campus, but that isn’t to say he’s the best right now. They’re going to have to break some high school habits that are common to incoming running backs. He tends to want to bounce to the outside and this defense is a wee bit faster than the ones he faced in Arizona prep ball. Will that be the sentence that launches a thousand words from @Zona Horn? I doubt it, it’s a common issue with uber-talented runners.

Losing the Towson transfer to Virginia was a bit of a bummer from a depth standpoint. I wouldn’t rule out the coaches taking a random guy just to shore up depth.

WR

I’m glad clips of Troy Omeire are making the rounds otherwise it would sound like we’re writing about William Wallace. He’s been the best receiver of camp, not just the best freshman receiver. He’s giving the corners the business. They aren’t struggling nearly as much with others. Most encouragingly, he isn’t just winning with size. We knew he could be a big-time target receiver, we didn’t know he’d be this explosive even after a really strong senior campaign.

Kelvontay Dixon is also looking good. He’s playing outside at the field Z receiver. He’s a smooth route runner with legit speed who is showing the ability to separate. Sort of like Josh Moore.

Jake Smith has a kung fu grip on H but Moore is proving too good to keep off the field and pushing to start at Z. He and Marcus Washington are battling there. Of course Moore can also come on and play inside in 10 personnel.

Smith at H and Moore at Slot would also make it easy to carve out a role for Jordan Whittington to come in at slot in 10 personnel.

TE

Texas is still a base 11 personnel team, but we’re also hearing of more 12 personnel, especially in short yardage/goal line. There are finally enough bodies ready at tight end.

We’re still hearing of OU-like usage at the position. That is, Cade Brewer and Brayden Liebrock flexed out and Jared Wiley and Malcolm Epps as hybrids moving around. Don’t fall asleep on Wiley and Epps. They’re getting snuck out into space with regularity and not just blocking.

An aside on tight end coach Jay Boulware: we’re hearing he’s an awesome special teams coach. He’s detail oriented and demands the best players are out there. He’s mentioned if Kenneth Murray can cover kicks for him, these guys can too.

OL

The Isaiah Hookfin to guard revelation right before camp was apparently foreshadowing. He’s legitimately pushing to start. If he does start, that tells us the staff is more comfortable with him at guard than Christian Jones at tackle.

Right now the most likely starting line is probably Cosmi-Angilau-Kerstetter-Hookfin-Okafor. But that could change by Sunday. We’ll see how the Saturday scrimmage goes. This defensive line is a tough test for the OL.

Willie Tyler is also competing at guard. I expect him to play this year. He put in work over the offseason.

Don’t sleep on Reese Moore long-term.

Depth at tackle and center still isn’t ideal.

DL

With Marqez Bimage opting out for the season, competition thinned at strong-side defensive end. Left standing are Jacoby Jones and Moro Ojomo. Freshman Vernon Broughton is also there.

With defensive tackle being fairly deep, Ta’Quon Graham could always filter back over to d-end if need be, but as a physically mature senior he’s built for the interior defensive line.

Daniel Carson has received second team reps at defensive tackle.

The staff will pursue Elerson Smith from the University of Northern Iowa. They want to get bendier on the edge and he would help. Emerson recently entered the Portal and will have a long list of suitors. These guys follow opportunity, not logos.

With the Big Ten and Pac-12, along with their satellite conferences, forgoing this season you can assume staffers are hitting F5 on the Portal throughout the day.

Jack

Joseph Ossai is Joseph Ossai. They have some blitzes dialed up to highlight him. They start the blitz with him on the defensive line, not in the tuba section.

Walk-on Jett Bush will play this year.

We still don’t know what their 3rd and long defense will look like but you’d think Byron Vaughns could be a key piece there.

LB

Juwan Mitchell and DeMarvion Overshown are completely bought in. They’re a fast duo. David Gbenda is the third best linebacker but he could easily start if Overshown gets dinged. He’s always been fast but has a better understanding of the position than he did a year ago.

Missing on Tony Fields wasn’t a huge blow but they’d love more experience at the position. They do like what’s in place, and there are a lot of bodies, but this has the potential to be a big year and you don’t want any holes if they’re preventable. F5.

CB

D’Shawn Jamison has had his struggles with Omeire but other than he’s playing well and the best corner.

Kenyatta Watson is pushing hard to start in the absence of Josh Thompson. We’re still working on a timeline for Thompson’s return.

Perhaps the hardest aspect of zero sum football to understand is cornerback play. They’re facing talented receivers and one of the best quarterbacks in the country in what appears to be a well coordinated offense. We don’t know what to make of the corners yet. Hopefully we have an idea before Texas Tech.

DB

Caden Sterns has a lock on field safety. Chris Brown is still first team boundary safety. Chris Adimora has a lock on the spur position.

Competition behind these three isn’t settled. Tyler Owens and Montrell Estell are behind Sterns (as is freshman Jerrin Thompson). BJ Foster is pushing Brown. Xavion Alford and Anthony Cook will compete to backup Adimora. It’s possible they’ll try and redshirt Thompson and Alford just to get some separation between classes.

A FRESH SET OF EYES

From someone we don’t normally source:

The freshman Troy Omeire is already a force. He moves a lot better than he should for such a big kid and was running through and around Texas' most athletic cornerbacks. Sam Ehlinger found him once on a long post route in the end zone in 11-on-11 work. It's going to be really hard to keep Omeire off the field. They had him getting work at the field receiver as well as boundary.

Speaking of Ehlinger, he looks better than ever before. The ball is coming out quickly and easily; he has extra zip throwing it around. He's looked awfully comfortable moving around in the pocket to create passing windows in time to hit targets. That may be his biggest improvement. Beyond the deep post to Omeire I also saw Ehlinger find him on a go route thrown outside the far hash. This is easily the best he’s looked.

The defensive tackles are a real problem. They’ve been doing a good job of getting under the o-linemen’s pads. Taquon Graham looks very comfortable attacking at angles as a 3-technique and Keondre Coburn is so powerful inside. Coburn literally tossed Junior Angilau aside on one play. If Ehlinger and the receivers weren’t playing so well the d-line would make it hard to practice.

You can tell the defensive backs are still mastering the scheme. The safeties will really benefit from a camp of facing Mike Yurcich's Big 12 passing game so they can nail down the route combinations. The whole defense will benefit from facing the offense’s tempo. It is lightning fast.

Yurcich had them running some things you could recognize from his Oklahoma State offenses. Some Air Raid passing stuff with guys like Jake Smith running shallow crossers underneath that we haven't seen much at Texas in the past. He’s also mixing in some bigger personnel sets. Both the flex tight end and H-back are being used in the passing game. It’s a balanced passing game.

STATE OF RECRUITING

Backs and Receivers

Running back recruiting is certainly heating up in the 2021 class for the Longhorns. Texas has been trending for both L.J. Johnson and Camar Wheaton in recent weeks. The staff has done a very good job of positioning to get one of the two backs with Stay Drayton and Bryan Carrington doing a great job of developing relationships. The running back coach relationship has always been most important in the recruitment of Wheaton and Drayton has done a wonderful job. Drayton remains in consistent communication with both backs coming down the home stretch with Bijan Robinson also offering an assist. We feel good about saying Texas has ascended to a healthy lead for Wheaton, but the same can be said for Johnson. The staff has an interesting balancing act with both backs likely moving up timelines in play. It felt like Texas was creating urgency at the position. Whether that was their intent or not, the recent pushes have worked. Now what?

The Longhorns are also focused on a difference-maker at the position in 2022 — Klein Cain’s Jaydon Blue. In talking with a trio of sources close to the 5-10, 200-pound uber athletic back with excellent hands, Texas is well positioned along with childhood favorite LSU, and Oklahoma working to move up. Oklahoma has done a great job over the summer, including knocking it out of the park with a virtual visit. With that said, the Texas staff has done a solid job here with Drayton developing a solid relationship. Drayton was the first college coach to start recruiting Blue and Blue profiles to be a good cultural fit for the school in general.

When considering Johnson, Wheaton, and Blue, all three backs see the value in not being a workhorse, rather they’re content sharing carries and retaining tread on the tires in hopes of a long career in football. If you have noticed the tweets by Drayton and Carrington lately in that regard … they weren’t targeted at just one back.

With the commitment of Jaden Alexis, there have been questions if the Longhorns would still prioritize J.J. Henry. Henry has been in contact with Tom Herman and Andre Coleman since the verbal by Alexis, but it remains to be seen if Texas will be all in here with the combination of Alexs committed in 2021, and the 2022 class absolutely loaded at the position. They also like how the current roster shapes up. The staff was late to decide they wanted to prioritize Kelvontay Dixon in the last cycle and the same could happen here. Ole Miss has turned up the heat on Henry in the last couple of weeks and has solidly entered the picture with Florida State and Texas. The Aggies will likely factor in as well.

Quinn Ewers

Here’s what seems like your weekly update on five-star Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers. The nation’s top ranked prospect in 2022 is one of a handful of must-gets in the class. With the season getting ready to start we feel like the staff has stepped up its efforts. Sam Ehlinger has also been involved in recent weeks.

We’ve said this wouldn’t be a roller coaster recruitment but it could become a whirlwind. Ewers never profiled to taking his time and if it wasn’t for Covid he’d probably already be committed somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

We are going to look like such dumbasses with our Omeire takes..my god, dude sounds like the second coming of Roy Williams at this point...delete big brother GIF

Yea but if he'd gone to aggy he'd still be running 5.2 40s. It's just science. So we were sorta right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT adding in the comments (all 3 of them) that Texas is not a lock for Ketron Jackson. They think there is still a chance with Earle and with the emergence of Omeire have slowed down in that recruitment. They also believe that Jackson is committing soon. Could be another dropping today

So Jackson is trending away from Texas because of Omeire in practice?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT....Super K

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for LJ Johnson, I would’ve said Texas.

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for Camar Wheaton, I would’ve said Oklahoma.

I no longer believe that. My sense now is that Texas leads for both.

I don’t know how they’re going to handle this.

why dont we have both GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT....Super K

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for LJ Johnson, I would’ve said Texas.

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for Camar Wheaton, I would’ve said Oklahoma.

whoa stfu

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So Jackson is trending away from Texas because of Omeire in practice?

They were saying Jackson's would be a redundant skill set. That they are very happy with how the room is stacked now and won't waste scholarships there. 

Editorializing: Jackson is very good, not elite. They feel good about depth and will spend efforts on flipping elite talent like JeauxJeaux instead of taking guys to take guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT....Super K

vB5cjgG.gif

21 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

We are going to look like such dumbasses with our Omeire takes..my god, dude sounds like the second coming of Roy Williams at this point...delete big brother GIF

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I’ll embrace being wrong anytime it’s goes in the Horns favor. \m/ 

Yeah, I’m perfectly content to be wrong on this one. Though I will say a lot of us started to change our tune after his senior film showed a drastic change in speed and explosiveness. Still though, I never thought he’d be making this kind of (reported) impact right away, and I will happily say I missed it with him. 

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT....Super K

Hey Brooks, what do you think about LB?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT....Super K

This is fun.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus if the Ewers news is legit, there are 5 WRs in Texas in 2022 better than Jackson. And you might need Jackson's spot because all of sudden Wheaton+Johnson is a real possibility.

I think it's time for everyone to jump on the Hand is a shitty recruiter bandwagon. It seems to have worked for Giles and Drayton.

See, I was just ahead of the curve.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Haha 1