Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

32 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Andrew Mukuba is 6' 185#.   Jonathon Brooks is 6' 185#.  Both allegedly run a 4.5 forty.  Can Brooks play safety?

I know you’re kidding but playing safety takes a unique instinct or feel for the game or whatever you want to call it, and it’s all over Mukuba’s film.

Hopefully whatever wave ‘mo or whatever is happening now changes his mind (I know it was just one cryptic tweet) to put on the Burnt Orange because that’s the kind of guy who leads teams to turn grinding spread Big 12 offenses into 3-and-outs.

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(He's rooting for zero commits.  Nice.)

I’ll take that $9.95er stance over a homer reporter who crystal balls every hot prospect to Texas and gets overly emotional about recruiting. These guys like/need their time off, too. If he’s got some family shit going on, I don’t blame him for wanting a quiet day. He can always put his ear back to the ground tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’ll take that $9.95er stance over a homer reporter who crystal balls every hot prospect to Texas and gets overly emotional about recruiting. These guys like/need their time off, too. If he’s got some family shit going on, I don’t blame him for wanting a quiet day. He can always put his ear back to the ground tomorrow.

You know, it doesn't have to be a choice between Roach and "homer reporter who crystal balls every hot prospect ... "

- he almost never has scoops, and when he does, he rarely gives any indications or makes CB picks.

- yesterday, on the day of the biggest recruiting victory of the last couple of decades, he said he was too busy to post because he was organizing things for his nephew's party the next day.  And then he posted a bunch of fluff pieces anyway.

- and this isn't an either-or.  No one wants him to jettison his family event. If he had any info, a quick note wouldn't take that long, let alone the whole weekend.  People with other jobs do take a few minutes off if something really important happens, even on weekends.

Anyway, we have a different perspective on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He didn’t want to give away any hints.  And I can respect him for that.  I’m not a Roach fan by any means simply because he’s boring too much of the time but I can respect him not leaking any info with regards to Ewers.  

I blame the nephew.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- he almost never has scoops, and when he does, he rarely gives any indications or makes CB picks.

It’s quite possible he knows how fickle recruits can be and chooses to be on the receiving end of “why didn’t you tell us” vs “you fucking lied to us!”

We do have a different perspective. I actually respect his style of not creating buzz just to generate clicks. I’d also rather $9.95ers not do anything to spoil a kid’s big day.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He didn’t want to give away any hints.  And I can respect him for that.  I’m not a Roach fan by any means simply because he’s boring too much of the time but I can respect him not leaking any info with regards to Ewers.  

Yup, the fact that there were no leaks/hints from any of the 247 guys (save Drumm), especially after the CBs got rescinded, tells me there was a gentleman's agreement to not ruin Ewers' moment

Especially since he had no info to leak.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Yup, the fact that there were no leaks/hints from any of the 247 guys (save Drumm), especially after the CBs got rescinded, tells me there was a gentleman's agreement to not ruin Ewers' moment
You think a gentleman's agreement among all of those turds was more likely than them just not knowing shit?
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I can't think of a job that is easier and more fun.

This is dumb. His job’s not easy, and there’s not a whole lot of people out there who could do it as well as him. 

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Andrew Mukuba is 6' 185#.   Jonathon Brooks is 6' 185#.  Both allegedly run a 4.5 forty.  Can Brooks play safety?

In what world does Brooks allegedly run a 4.5? 

1 hour ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

They could turn Brooks into a linebacker like they did with Hullaby

Not really. He doesn’t have the frame for LB. 

50 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You’re assuming he had any meaningful info to leak, which is quite the assumption when it comes to Roach. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is dumb. His job’s not easy, and there’s not a whole lot of people out there who could do it as well as him. 

That's a fucking stupid take. You can be good at a job even if it is easy and fun. None of those things are mutually exclusive. If I was Carrington and got paid $150K annually, I would stay at my job as long as UT would have me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's a fucking stupid take. You can be good at a job even if it is easy and fun. None of those things are mutually exclusive. If I was Carrington and got paid $150K annually, I would stay at my job as long as UT would have me.

When the guys whose asses he’s covering for are making a base of $400k, I’d say he has some upward mobility. 

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don’t understand the “easy” part. Carrington has to connect with 14-18yo prospects from a variety of backgrounds with a grab bag of demeanors. That’s fucking awful in my book. And not particularly easy. Then he has to connect with their parents who are the same mix of backgrounds and demeanors. Again, fucking awful and really hard. Adults are terrible, especially when you’re pitching taking their kids away from home.

If that wasn’t enough, the success of the program around you directly influences your ability to succeed and you have no control over whether you’re winning or not. You can’t stop Tom from calling shitty red zone plays or allowing the mehderkind to overstay his welcome and tear apart the locker room. You just get to watch, then convince the aforementioned grab bag of personalities that everything is fine, “we just need you to fix it!”

Fuck. That.

It takes a special person to do all of that, and to do all of that well. Pay the man anything he wants.

Like being a used car salesman

Carrington raise talk not going away. 

The Texas Athletic Department is looking into the abyss of a fiscal cliff and likely massive lay offs, and Surly posters are advocating for Carrington to get paid more. Please take the temperature of the room guys. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Gotta spend money to make money. 

How many programs became better off by saving money? We’re halfway through a $200M stadium update and you are worried about a $50K - $100k raise for the best recruiter on the staff?

Oh, I’d love for Carrington, and Harris for that matter, to get paid what they’re worth, but the optics get pretty bad if the AD is laying people off en masse. 

Imagine if Texas has to lay off/furlough faculty, and Carrington gets a raise. The Ivory Tower crowd would lose their minds. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don’t understand the “easy” part. Carrington has to connect with 14-18yo prospects from a variety of backgrounds with a grab bag of demeanors. That’s fucking awful in my book. And not particularly easy. Then he has to connect with their parents who are the same mix of backgrounds and demeanors. Again, fucking awful and really hard. Adults are terrible, especially when you’re pitching taking their kids away from home.

If that wasn’t enough, the success of the program around you directly influences your ability to succeed and you have no control over whether you’re winning or not. You can’t stop Tom from calling shitty red zone plays or allowing the mehderkind to overstay his welcome and tear apart the locker room. You just get to watch, then convince the aforementioned grab bag of personalities that everything is fine, “we just need you to fix it!”

Fuck. That.

It takes a special person to do all of that, and to do all of that well. Pay the man anything he wants.

If you have a gregarious personality and aren't an asshole, it's not that hard at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

People who’ve never worked a position talking about how fucking easy it is definitely always laughable. “Let he tell you how fucking good that guy has it.” One of the oldest stories of all time. 

this is a job that didn’t even exist 10 years ago. And it’s so easy every team has a guy as good as Carrington. Oh, they don’t? Shit. Sounds like a bunch of white dudes should start sending out their fucking resumes to a bunch of schools since they’re gregarious and not that big of an asshole, right? Go get your 100k. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'd listen to every god damn offer and take the best one.

Carrington is amazing at his job, and if the university can't pay him, I sure as shit hope that a booster can supplement his pay without getting us into trouble.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

People who’ve never worked a position talking about how fucking easy it is definitely always laughable. “Let he tell you how fucking good that guy has it.” One of the oldest stories of all time. 

this is a job that didn’t even exist 10 years ago. And it’s so easy every team has a guy as good as Carrington. Oh, they don’t? Shit. Sounds like a bunch of white dudes should start sending out their fucking resumes to a bunch of schools since they’re gregarious and not that big of an asshole, right? Go get your 100k. 

Hamm sock confirmed 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If you have a gregarious personality and aren't an asshole, it's not that hard at all.

It’s not just whether or not he CAN do it, which he obviously can, it’s whether or not he can win out against a huge group of the exact same types of guys from all our competition, and have them buy your pitch over all others and like you and what you’ve got to say as much or more than all the others.

Its like ‘competitive popularity’ with millions of dollars at stake, I’d have a hard time buying the “not that hard” argument.

Carrington is awesome. But he also got an opportunity to do it here first in a nationally prominent position so I think it’s worked out well for him too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oh, I’d love for Carrington, and Harris for that matter, to get paid what they’re worth, but the optics get pretty bad if the AD is laying people off en masse. 

Imagine if Texas has to lay off/furlough faculty, and Carrington gets a raise. The Ivory Tower crowd would lose their minds. 

We don’t come to the recruiting board to play school. Take it to another forum. 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fuck. That.

Also have to ward off the family members that aren't immediate that other programs are trying to make inroads with.  The worst is that everybody is going to want something.