Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 2021's worth a Texas offer

By Eric and Gerry

Early senior film for the lower classifications will start making the rounds in the coming weeks. With the later start for 5A and 6A, we’ll have to wait a little longer for the bulk of the college prospects to put out tape.

We’ve been over needs and the potential class finish recently, but those predicted finishes from this far out never go according to plan. Here are five guys Texas should offer who would help address needs while also adding talent to the roster.

DT Byron Murphy, DeSoto - BAYLOR

EN: Good ball get-off, quick and easy mover in all directions, some bounce to him, uses low-man advantage at a position it’s most important. I mentioned to him he moved like a big running back and he responded that was his position until he grew out of it. I’ve liked his tape and been in contact with him since his sophomore year but I figured lack of length would always be an anchor around his neck. He’s grown. I think he has the potential to be better than Tank Jackson because of his lateral agility. Murphy has a high floor. He doesn’t have Albert Regis’ athletic upside but he’s a much better defensive tackle at this point.

GH: Go ahead and name your best college football defensive tackles at 6-foot-1 or less from Texas in the last couple of decades, save the G.O.A.T Casey Hampton, and Murphy could be next in line. The former linebacker and running back is a powerfully built defensive tackle with excellent agility, flexibility and strength to go with 10-inch hands. Murphy looked terrific in person two weeks ago at DeSoto, and is ascending headed into his senior campaign. A terrific early evaluation by Baylor, which can be said numerous times in the 2021 class.

DE Keith Cooper, Dickinson

EN: A year ago he looked like a potential Jack OLB but he’s grown into a projectable SDE. There’s value in the spin! Texas needs another defensive end in the class. If it’s not Shemar Turner (who will likely outgrow DE anyway) or David Abiara (who is impossible to get a read on) then Cooper makes a lot of sense. With the switch to the four-man front, SDE’s who can pass rush aren’t in abundance on the roster.

GH: Cooper has a number of Power 5 offers, including Arizona State, and I’m of the opinion his offer list would have doubled if there was a spring evaluation period. Cooper possesses a terrific frame to carry 270+ pounds with broad shoulders, an 84-inch wingspan, big hands, initial quickness, and flexibility. He is also an intelligent person. He’s looking at the recruiting process in terms of football scheme, and not hype. This is the type of player that impacts winning on the next level. Also a member of the Dickinson regional championship hoops team.

ATH Alton McCaskill, Oak Ridge

EN: McCaskill has played more RB than anything else but he has the body of a defensive player. I’ve watched him go from looking like a corner to a safety with the potential of becoming a Will LB. When numbers get tight in a class, I love to look at versatility and he has that. He could play running back in a pinch, but could also play in the defensive backfield or even at linebacker. We know they want bigger nickels because of run stopping duties. Maybe he’s that. 215 pounds, like Chris Adimora, could be the sweet spot for frame and athletic maximization.

GH: The first practice I attended after moving back to the Houston area was Oak Ridge, and McCaskill didn’t disappoint. After playing around 190 pounds last season, he’s put in a lot of work in the down time and reported around 215 pounds for his senior season. He has retained his initial quickness, and was nimble in terms of his balance. Watch last season's HUDL to see the ability to tightly spin and remain balanced. While there are a number of Power 5 offers at running back, McCaskill’s frame, athleticism, and upside could make him an even better outside ‘backer long term.

ATH Raymond Gay, Red Oak - OKLAHOMA STATE

EN: The Gerry Hamilton special is getting offers for both sides of the ball. I can see why. He has good receiver tape but his sturdy build says corner. If they took him as a WR with the caveat he could end up at DB, then you’re splitting half a scholarship on each side of the ball. That works in a class where they already have two corners but might want a third and a class where they have two receivers but might want a third.

GH: After seeing the Red Oak playmaker in person and getting intel on him from the coaching staff, I like him even more as a potential senior riser that will have a big season with 2023 QB Chris Parson having transferred in. He’s got the initial pop, ability to accelerate, and COD necessary to play CB at the Power 5 level, in addition to receiver. This was a quality evaluation by Oklahoma State early, and there will be more Power 5 offers to come this season.

OT Cole Carson, Bogata Rivercrest - ARKANSAS

EN: There’s something they don’t like about Carson otherwise he would have been offered in June or July, but we like him. He’s quick off the ball and shows the ability to play with good leverage. The good thing about tape of an O-lineman playing terrible competition is you get to see how well he bends because the defenders are so small. It’s like putting UT’s O-line versus the walk-on skill players. Hand’s evaluations are tough to get a handle on. It’s tough to know exactly what he’s looking for in a tackle, not just by who he’s offered but also by who he’s passed on. I’ll defer to Sam Pittman on this one. At this point, strategically, it probably makes sense to just pour over senior tape to see who has emerged or taken the next step. That makes even more sense if they get a commitment from Jack Leyrer soon.

GH: Carson should have been offered by Texas the moment the Brockermyer’s picked Alabama. Even if you overlook that Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman is a quality OL evaluator, the tape and measurables at 6-foot-5.5-ish and 280+ pounds makes him an offer. His ability to be flat footed and flexible in a three-point stance, then the ability to quickly burst low loads in his first two steps displays the ability to be a talented run blocker at the Power 5 level. Offers from the Pac-12, SEC, Big 12 and ACC — including Utah, TCU, Baylor and Mississippi State. Carson also has Ivy League academics, and offers.

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Burris is done for the year. Achilles injury, I believe. 

Jasper Lott TE/OT from Argyle is the son of the LA Rams S&C Coach. He’s supposed to be up 20+ pounds from last season. Interested to see where his frame goes.

Jasper has some pretty good offers.

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Burris is done for the year. Achilles injury, I believe. 

Jasper Lott TE/OT from Argyle is the son of the LA Rams S&C Coach. He’s supposed to be up 20+ pounds from last season. Interested to see where his frame goes.

Texas needs to offer him at tackle. Hand followed him months ago but reading between the lines I think Lott wants to play TE or DE. He can really play but he's going to grow into a tackle. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas needs to offer him at tackle. Hand followed him months ago but reading between the lines I think Lott wants to play TE or DE. He can really play but he's going to grow into a tackle. 

I want the guy who skips three times before breaking into his route

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

Lol I think half the board predicted this when Wheaton left Texas out of his top 3. The obvious next domino was the dude we focused on dropping us too. 

The later update was that LJ doesn't have a brother and the guy was making a ~*hilarious*~ joke about Zach Evans' brother being all over team boards last year.

Is there absolutely zero chance going forward for them? Did they burn bridges? No idea, I just keep hearing this.

Even if they all got matching Bama neck tattoos and called Herman’s mother a whore to his face, we gotta keep recruiting them because of how badly we need tackles in particular.