Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

I tried that before it was cool. They reminded me I didn't work there anymore. Smh

Actually had an employee pull the move, not my favorite in the first place but wanted to avoid another discrimination case aka payoff.   Guy had a self awareness issue & tried a leverage faux resignation which was accepted with great joy.   Few days later he rolls into the office like no big deal, I guess his wife freaked out on him.  Sorry Charlie, ink was already dry/done deal and very glad for it.

4 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

Actually had an employee pull the move, not my favorite in the first place but wanted to avoid another discrimination case aka payoff.   Guy had a self awareness issue & tried a leverage faux resignation which was accepted with great joy.   Few days later he rolls into the office like no big deal, I guess his wife freaked out on him.  Sorry Charlie, ink was already dry/done deal and very glad for it.

Are you Denver Harris? 

53 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

connor williams part deux 

get on the phone now hand 

Parents went to high school in Caledonia, 38 minutes from Victor. Let me go recruit this kid. I know all about the greater Rochester area and why he needs to get his ass out of there ASAP.

Also, holy shit, he's 6'11 and carries a lot of bad weight. He'd need a ton of time in the weight room, and he's probably too big to actually contribute. I can't believe he plays center haha.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, like the guy who doesn’t realize they’re no longer coached by the Purple Wizard, and we’ve beaten them three years in a row, right? 

Those three wins were all decided by less than a touchdown. Not irrational to be wary of a team that rolled OU a year ago and has historically played us well in Manhattan.

6 hours ago, gordogg24p said:

I've tried to keep the channel updated with every single game since I started it years ago. There's a few holes and a few shitty quality ones, but I've got that all figured out for this year.

Thanks for this. You're a good man. 

Edited by Junior Bonner

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Is this like how Tech and Baylor tried to become our rival after A&M ran away?

Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas. It was all but spelled out in my initial post about the kid.

Apologies to all not involved in this detour. I'll be better going forward.

Edited by TommyGufano

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not saying this because it’s KSU. I’m saying this because Herman’s teams have a tendency to overlook teams it should demolish.

I understand the premise and sentiment of the argument, but this KSU team sucks. They lost their best skill talent to graduation and/or transfer in the off season, they don't possess their usual game breaker at RB or WR (someone who will obviously get an invite to attempt to make an NFL roster), and Skyler Thompson is the worst quarterback they've rolled out in the past 20 seasons.

This is only a trap game this season because Texas will be, and certainly should be, favored.

Edited by MuellerHorn

55 minutes ago, NoName said:

woah you are the one who runs that? awesome! thank you!

I have had help with getting copies of some of the games to record, and I've also been lazy and leaned on TYT for others, but this season will be the first season where I will do all the recording/editing/posting myself.

The only games missing are the 2019 Iowa State game and the 2017 Texas Bowl against Mizzou. I have a 480p recording of the Iowa State game that I need to go back and edit the commercials out of because I failed to DVR it last season and FS1 never made the replay available so I couldn't get an HD version myself (and TYT was FUBAR for the middle of last season), and the Texas Bowl used to be on the channel until YouTube copyright blocked it. I do still have the file for that one, so someday I'll re-upload it to fix that problem.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not saying this because it’s KSU. I’m saying this because Herman’s teams have a tendency to overlook teams it should demolish.

yurcich and aSH’s teams didn’t lOse to a single team they Were supposed to deMolish last year. somE mAy say that’s Likely because ash’s team was terrible and weren’t suppOsed to demoliSh anyone, but we call thoSe people satyas. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
I would say fuck gordogg24p, but he uploads all our games to YouTube so he’s a saint.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yurcich and ASH’s teams didn’t lOse to a single team they Were supposed to deMolish last year. SomE mAy say that’s LIkely because Ash’s team was terrible and weren’t suppOsed to demoliSh anyone, but we call thoSe people satyas. 

YASHOWMSEALIAOSS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

(Justin Wells) Inside Scoop: Team post-UTEP, 2021 and 2022 targets talk UT, and more

Team notes post-UTEP, catching up with important 2021 and 2022 targets like Denver Harris and Donovan Green, and introducing new offers. It's the Inside Scoop.

DENVER HARRIS

We caught up with the five-star North Shore cornerback late last week. Since we last talked, he’s become quite verbose. Well, at least for him.

Harris isn’t the most responsive, so the writing will be on the walls for most schools:
“I used to do Zoom calls, but since September 1st hit, I haven’t really been talking to anybody.”

These are the same three schools he singled out in April.
“I’m talking to a few. Very few. Probably the main people are Texas, LSU, Ohio State and down south schools.”

Texas:
“I talk to Coach Valai and Coach Herman. We are cool. That’s it.“

Valai and Herman’s message.
“He’s just been straight up to me. Just telling how it will be at Texas. Coach Herman and I don’t talk football much at all. He tries to stay away from football, and relates to me about the real world.”

Quinn Ewers.
“We talk a lot. He sees where my mind is at about Texas, and I tell him it’s still there. I’m thinking about Texas,”

Alabama.
“Coach Scott is from that same area I’m from. I like Bama. They are just like North Shore.”

What he’s looking for in a school.
“Someone just has to make me feel at home. I like being home, so I have to feel like it’s home.”

What will it come down to?
“Playing time for sure. That’s a big part (of his decision).”

Who did he watch on TV growing up?
“Oregon. Something about the uniforms. Ohio State, and Bama of course.”

When it comes time to sit down and make a decision, his inner circle will be big.
“My circle is Coach Reagins, Coach Kay, Coach Cross, my older brother and mom.”

We maintain Harris is more likely to stay close to home. Proximity will matter. That has us believing this is truly a UT/LSU battle. Covid really messed up his timeline. He was originally set to decide after his junior season, maybe around junior days. We think it’s more likely it plays out longer now. Quick note on Donovan Green: The 2022 Dickinson four-star tight end said he wasn’t able to catch the game because he doesn’t have LHN, but he did check the box score. “No sir. I don’t have Longhorn Network. I saw the stat line though. Good game. TE got used in the passing game as well :). If I’m not watching, I’m checking stats after the game.”

That was the best example of tight end usage at Texas I can recall in quite some time. I have a feeling Green will have some TE cut ups in his inbox shortly. When I saw that throwback to Epps, Green is the first person I thought of. Tight end usage was my one hang up on predicting Green to UT. In my opinion, this one is trending better even if it doesn’t look like it yet.

TEAM

— The blowout win caught some sources by surprise, not because of how easy they won but because of the final score. Most thought Herman would let off the gas but they kept running their offense and it produced the most lopsided victory of Herman’s tenure. The reason? Recruiting in general, but also in case the worst occurs and the season is cut short. And yes, that came with some Yurcich influence.

— Everyone wants to know about BJ Foster like there’s something beyond the obvious: he was frustrated. This is an in-house issue that doesn’t need to be amplified. Foster has apologized to the coaches and will stay in Austin. If this wasn’t out of character, he would be gone despite his talent level.

— The staff thinks Christian Jones and Isaiah Hookfin will be good in time but they aren’t there yet. There were some encouraging plays, particularly with Hookfin. We’ll see how the competition shakes out in practice between now and Texas Tech on the 26th. Andrej Karic also played at tackle. They like him too but he’s further behind, as to be expected since he’s a true freshman. More blowouts, should they occur, will equal more opportunity for these guys to develop. That will be an active goal.

— Injuries: We haven’t heard definitively on Jordan Whittington but if we were to guess he’d be doubtful for the Oklahoma game. Again, that’s a guess and we’ll let the school handle it. We don’t believe it’s serious, but we don’t believe it’s something so minor that he should play through. Josh Thompson’s ear made Evander Holyfield’s look like a mosquito bite but he’ll play versus Texas Tech. Have fun putting on that helmet, JT. Great game, by the way. That’s the tantalizing upside we haven’t quite seen enough of. Let’s see more of it.

— The staff feels like it hit home runs with Tarik Black and Brenden Schooler and that they each bring more to the program than talent. Black was already showing leadership ability when he was on Zoom calls while still in Michigan. Schooler is showing to be tough with more outright speed than they initially thought. Both will have a home at Texas next year if they want, but both have the chance to blow up this year. Black was an obvious take on ability but Schooler was a great ID by the staff. Given Josh Moore’s game and the impact of not one, but two grad transfers, Saturday was an ironic confluence of some offseason discussion over whether or not the program even needed a grad transfer receiver.

— Justin has heard there’s discussions about freshman defensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch potentially moving to the offensive line. This makes sense not only because it was part of his high school evaluation but also because the OL could use more athleticism and aggression. The defensive line is also recruiting at a higher level than offensive line, meaning they’d be able to fit another body up front in this class. Make no mistake, this move wouldn’t be because SG-W couldn’t become a quality defensive lineman. It’s about maximizing him and the roster. We go into how it could impact recruiting below.

— One quick recruiting note: Things are holding steady with Cy Fair RB LJ Johnson. We’re as confident as we’ve been.

SHEMAR TURNER AND DL RECRUITING

Shemar Turner made a trip to Georgia recently, but according to a source close to Turner’s recruitment, the Bulldogs didn’t shake up a recruitment that continues to trend to an in-state battle, unless Alabama can change the course. “Georgia didn’t do anything to sway him. It’s still the in-state schools,” said the source. Texas and Texas A&M continue to be the favorites of the people in Turner’s circle with the source maintaining the Aggies still hold the advantage. As we have mentioned before, one very key person in Turner’s circle likes the idea of Texas most, but is open to Texas A&M as long as Turner stays close to home.

Staying at DeSoto High, Texas has been in contact with the Eagles staff about Baylor defensive tackle commit Byron Murphy. At IT’s stop at DeSoto in August, Murphy said he was 100 percent to Baylor and not switching. However, an offer from Texas or Texas A&M would make the Baylor staff feel less comfortable. La Porte’s Albert Regis continues to be the No. 1 defensive tackle on the board for the Longhorns, and he has been made aware of that by defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen. Texas continues to be the pace car in this recruitment with Texas A&M working from behind. While Regis is not in a rush to make a decision, that timeline is subject to change as more prospects make commitments and classes continue to fill.

It is possible Texas would have room for Turner, Regis, and Murphy.

JUAN DAVIS

When you've been committed to a school for over a year, sometimes you become a forgotten man. Let's catch up with Everman three-star TE and Texas pledge Juan Davis. "Right now, I'm leading Everman all over the field," said Davis. "I play QB, TE, WR, W-back, H-back, and DE. I've taken on a new leadership role with my team." He tells me he’s 6-foot-3.5, 220 pounds, and stayed in great shape during the pandemic. He's still active in talking to current UT commits, like JD Coffey and Charles Wright. I don't think other schools are particularly confident in flipping the DFW athlete.

"I don't hear much from other schools," Davis said laughing. "They know where I'm going." Texas playing four tight ends during Saturday night's 59-3 win over UTEP was something that caught his attention. Except he wasn't able to watch the game, so when I described the tight end usage, he was fired up. "Really?" asked Davis. "That's awesome. I know this staff will get me right and put me in the best position to succeed. I love Coach Boulware a lot and I talk to Coach Herman pretty often too."

Davis' first game is in two weeks, and he couldn't be more ready for 2020.

TYLER MORRIS

Texas continues looking throughout the Midwest at potential targets for the 2022 cycle. At Nazareth Academy in the Chicagoland area, four-star wideout Tyler Morris picked up a Texas offer last week. “I really appreciated the offer," Morris said about the UT verbal invitation. "I’ve been talking to Penn State, Missouri, Michigan, and Notre Dame the most.”

He's an elite athlete with many early suitors. Penn State, Missouri, and Northwestern are high on his list, but Michigan is the leader here. However, Texas did grab his attention. “It’s definitely a place I’m considering and want to look at more," Morris said. "I’m not worried about the distance (to Austin).”

He’s really just focused on getting better today, and was participating in 7-on-7 over the weekend. Anything to perfect the craft. “I’d say route running, body control, and run after catch are the things I’m best at,” said Morris. “Creating separation, difficult catches, and making sure I always get both feet down are things that I always work on.” He’ll be a tough, Midwest pull. And you'll battle Jim Harbaugh for his services. Still, keep looking far and wide, UT staff.

LANDON HULLABY

The 2022 Mansfield Timberview ATH and younger brother of freshman LB Jaden Hullaby, was on hand for the Texas-UTEP matchup at DKR on Saturday night. Getting a taste of UT football for the first time since December was good for the Hullaby bunch. “It was great and just glad to have college football back,” Hullaby. “(Texas) played really good, the offense and defense both. They can run."

Two guys that stood out to Hullaby: “Tarik Black and Josh Thompson.” The 6-foot-0, 180-pound safety says big brother Jaden really enjoyed his first-game experience as well. Hullaby remains on the target list for the staff in 2022. The .88 composite three-star holds 24 offers and is eager to get back on the field himself.

QUICKIES

A pair of 2022s, Aaron Wilson and Sebastian Cheeks, picked up offers over the weekend from the Texas staff. And a tidbit on one of the nation’s top wideouts for 2022, Caleb Burton, and his weekend plans.

Saint Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) Aaron Wilson, 6-foot-2, 235 pounds, is a SDE and packs a serious punch off the ball. He might not have the ideal height, but he plays with the correct disposition. He's at 18 offers so far including Florida, Florida State, Miami, and Penn State.

Evanston (IL) Sebastian Cheeks, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound four-star linebacker, has been in touch with UT for a few months and is getting close to Coleman Hutzler. He's got a lot of Midwest interest with 11 offers including Michigan, Notre Dame, and, Iowa. An Ohio State offer would probably be the biggest factor early in his recruitment. If he can visit, I'd expect at least that next year, but you never know with out-of-state prospects.

Del Valle’s Caleb Burton was in attendance for Texas-UTEP on Saturday. The 6-foot-0, 165-pound local five-star and his father Charles, the head coach at Del Valle, were in the house. If Burton wanted to see an air show, it was provided. We'll have more from Burton this week.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Texas is Back

I know you're joking but I'm thinking this Texas staff is betting on a lot of late recruiting movement in their direction if they have a good season ---- and they think they are going to have a very  good season.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ 

Ricky answered the question well. And it is always possible that Coburn acted on his own. But if coaches are pushing it and Regis and Turner are our top 2 then we are either looking for a third spot or the coaches aren't totally confident in Regis and Turner or we are keeping some players warm. From my perspective, I would shoot for some combination of Regis, Turner and Ikechukwu and if only 1 commits then defer to 2022. Maybe the coaches like Murphy better than Ikechukwu  or maybe like Ricky says we are shooting for 3. Just curious. Nothing more.

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ricky answered the question well. And it is always possible that Coburn acted on his own. But if coaches are pushing it and Regis and Turner are our top 2 then we are either looking for a third spot or the coaches aren't totally confident in Regis and Turner or we are keeping some players warm. From my perspective, I would shoot for some combination of Regis, Turner and Ikechukwu and if only 1 commits then defer to 2022. Maybe the coaches like Murphy better than Ikechukwu  or maybe like Ricky says we are shooting for 3. Just curious. Nothing more.

Or we’re dealing with a bunch of unknowns and it’s best to have as many irons in the fire as you can. 

• Haha 1

Anyway with our DTs on the roster, I would be happy with Regis or Turner but I see no reason to reach. We are kind of stacked. LB still isn't where it needs to be. DB is pretty stacked but you can never have enough cover corners.

WR is pretty good but could be improved. TE is pretty good and young but could be improved. Helm and Davis should fill the minor void. RB is stacked and with LJ we couldn't ask for more. QB is stacked. OL needs a strong recruiting class and we are whiffing on OTs. All of our offers lately seem like reaches. Beating a dead horse, but it seems to be our weak link and will IMO require grad transfers to have a starting 5 to compete on the national stage.