Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Anyway with our DTs on the roster, I would be happy with Regis or Turner but I see no reason to reach. We are kind of stacked. LB still isn't where it needs to be. DB is pretty stacked but you can never have enough cover corners.

WR is pretty good but could be improved. TE is pretty good and young but could be improved. Helm and Davis should fill the minor void. RB is stacked and with LJ we couldn't ask for more. QB is stacked. OL needs a strong recruiting class and we are whiffing on OTs. All of our offers lately seem like reaches. Beating a dead horse, but it seems to be our weak link and will IMO require grad transfers to have a starting 5 to compete on the national stage.

Neither Iwunnah nor Murphy would be reaches, but it is a matter of how many you can take in a class before it impacts other positions.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Ricky answered the question well. And it is always possible that Coburn acted on his own. But if coaches are pushing it and Regis and Turner are our top 2 then we are either looking for a third spot or the coaches aren't totally confident in Regis and Turner or we are keeping some players warm. From my perspective, I would shoot for some combination of Regis, Turner and Ikechukwu and if only 1 commits then defer to 2022. Maybe the coaches like Murphy better than Ikechukwu  or maybe like Ricky says we are shooting for 3. Just curious. Nothing more.

IT said today there’s a chance they take all 3

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Per Suchomel, Cade is down to Bama, LSU, Texas, and ASU. Keep in mind that Saban personally recruits backup plans (remember him doing an in-home with Glass a couple of years ago right before NSD when there was almost no chance he'd be in the class, just in case he needed him?). I think Bama has 5 spots left, and a couple of those are going to DB, and a couple might be going to DL/OLB. Also Barnes might play OL for them. So it's unclear if Cade is a take for them to me. It's also unclear if LSU will take him, and they also have a numbers crunch in this class. 

I'll have a full update from OL Erick Cade in my 3-2-1 tomorrow morning, but he tells me he's down to Alabama, Arizona State, LSU and Texas. He talks to Herb Hand regularly and really likes what he hears from Hand.

Cade told me his goal is to decide by the end of October, so this one is hitting the home stretch.

Nick Saban is heavily involved ... they've had zoome meetings and Saban called Cade during his lunch break last week and talked to him for about 30 minutes. Seems like that has Cade's attention, understandably.

He does want to study business and marketing, so Texas can sell the McCombs School of Business in addition to proximity, opportunity for playing time, etc.

Full report with quotes tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Let’s land Cade, a late bloomer and 1-2 transfers and never talk about 2021 OL recruiting again. 

I'm for it. That way we can get a good start on bitching about '22 OL recruiting.

Edit: just to add some actual content: how good is Cade? Is he a guard or a tackle?

Edited by tokamak

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm for it. That way we can get a good start on bitching about '22 OL recruiting.

Edit: just to add some actual content: how good is Cade? Is he a guard or a tackle?

He’s a tackle. Definitely a developmental take, but way better than the other guys Hand seems to be looking at. As in, he’s actually a P5 caliber recruit. 

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s a tackle. Definitely a developmental take, but way better than the other guys Hand seems to be looking at. As in, he’s actually a P5 caliber recruit. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Cade is a fat, timid guard. Hayden Conner is a long, athletic dude that may or may not stick at RT. Cade is shorter, slower, and lacks aggression. Definitely a guard. 

Excited to see you guys evaluate the Strake Jesuit kid together. Is he also tackuard?

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Excited to see you guys evaluate the Strake Jesuit kid together. Is he also tackuard?

Unlike your mother, I have standards. I refuse to evaluate any more of these shitty white kid offers. Leyrer was a decent take, IMO, but I’ll go no further. I’d prefer to not see another OL offer form our staff until senior film comes out. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I have made no bones on this board about my interest or ability to effectively eval OL. I have none of either. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I refuse to evaluate any more of these shitty white kid offers.

I stand in solidarity. Can we just ignore OL for the rest of the cycle? I'm just skimming the bitching about it at this point.

22 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Cade is a fat, timid guard. Hayden Conner is a long, athletic dude that may or may not stick at RT. Cade is shorter, slower, and lacks aggression. Definitely a guard. 

In all seriousness though, I thought I’d seen Cade was closer to 6’7 than his listed 6’5. He’d definitely be more of a large RT that’s hard to get around with slower feet and he may not stick at Tackle, but I think you at least start him there. He’s sort of like Willie Tyler,  but I think he has a better chance to stay at Tackle. 

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

That settles it 

After watching Cade's tape, I agree with Ricky. Cade looks pretty slow and lumbering and has little pop in his highlights. He might be athletic but he doesn't show it on tape.

Alright I just did the unthinkable and watched Cade's Hudl. Caveat that I don't claim to be much of an evaluator.

He has a tackle-like body, I definitely wouldn't call him fat, but I think his future is at guard anyway. Doesn't look particularly bendy or nimble on his feet. It's hard to see the upside of a guy like, say, Hookfin. Aggressiveness seems about average. Been a while since I watched Leyrer's tape but I think I like him better than Cade.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

In all seriousness though, I thought I’d seen Cade was closer to 6’7 than his listed 6’5. He’d definitely be more of a large RT that’s hard to get around with slower feet and he may not stick at Tackle, but I think you at least start him there. He’s sort of like Willie Tyler,  but I think he has a better chance to stay at Tackle. 

I don't think I've ever seen a man that big catch so many 220lb HS DEs. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Fuck the Brocks, but I'm calling it now. As we continue to win this season, Texas is going to enter the picture again. Doesn't mean they'll decommit from Bama or that Herman would take them. I don't think Brocks and Texas are dead just yet.

Also, there's a non-zero chance that they potentially look to transfer. See Cade Mays, a 5* OL whose dad played at Tennessee but who ended up signing with Georgia, but later transferred to Tennessee 

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn't really have to do with 2021 recruiting (unless you count that #7 ranked Aerospace Engineering program you'll see if you swipe through the pictures) but all of these engineering programs ranked in the top 10 should provide good counter arguments to any program in this state that claims they have the best engineering program that's ever been known.

(To be fair, A&M is not bad and comes in just behind us in the overall school of engineering rankings at tied at #13 to our #11). I glanced through and the only program I saw where they outranked us was in Petroleum, where they were #1 to our #2.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Doesn't really have to do with 2021 recruiting (unless you count that #7 ranked Aerospace Engineering program you'll see if you swipe through the pictures) but all of these engineering programs ranked in the top 10 should provide good counter arguments to any program in this state that claims they have the best engineering program that's ever been known.

(To be fair, A&M is not bad and comes in just behind us in the overall school of engineering rankings at tied at #13 to our #11). I glanced through and the only program I saw where they outranked us was in Petroleum, where they were #1 to our #2.

I'm a PE. Mines is generally thought of as being the best (undergrad), with Texas/A&M up next; I think most non-aggies think Texas is better than A&M, although if you go to A&M, you have the built in advantage of getting hired by other aggies, who tend to only hire aggies. Strong engineers come out of LSU, OU, Tech, etc., and weak engineers slip through at Mines/Texas/A&M. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Suchomel on Jacoby Jackson

Jackson said he’s mostly considering Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU and Oklahoma State, and a decision could come pretty quickly.

“I’m kind of just weighing a few other schools,” he said. “I think I’m making a decision in another month maybe.”

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's all shit. 

Hey is your woo CTJ coming back around to football? I think he said he couldn’t be mentally invested in something that he thought was futile, but the games are happening man. 

Edited by GRHorn
Woo

Justin Wells: Texas vs Texas A&M Recruiting Battles ('21-'22)

The Horns and Aggies have a few head-to-head recruiting battles in the 2021 and 2022 cycles.

1 Shemar Turner, DE, DeSoto (2021)

Make no mistake, this is one of the bigger Texas vs. Texas A&M head-to-head battles in a while. Why is that? Turner is a premium position prospect from one of the most talent rich high schools in Texas in the DFW area where Texas has struggled in recent years. Add in that Texas began this recruitment as the favorite, slipped to outside the top four, and is battling the Aggies for a prospect from the school that produced Von Miller among others that signed with Texas A&M in the last decade. This is a “must win” recruitment for both schools. For the Aggies, they have to be elite across the board on the defensive line to have a legitimate shot to rise in the SEC in the coming years, and Turner is that level of prospect at his position. Of course, Alabama sits in the mix and would like nothing more than to be the school to pull Turner away from home, but they will have to overcome a close circle of people that would like Turner to stay in state. - GH

2 L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy Fair (2021)

The Longhorns and Aggies have been in pursuit of LJ for the longest time, and both have been in the lead at various points in this recruitment. The four-star tailback wanted to see some action on the field before making a final decision, and despite A&M's best efforts, Grandma-Ma might be Austin bound after all. - JW

3 Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek (2022)

Banks, the top offensive tackle in the state for 2022, is a battle developing between the Aggies, Longhorns, and LSU. With 2021 looking grim for Texas at OT, this is an absolute must win for Herman and staff. The good news for the Longhorns is Banks had Texas at the top of his list when recruiting began prior to his verbal to Oklahoma State. The bad news is Texas hasn’t moved their way ahead of Texas A&M or LSU since Quinn Ewers’ commitment. This recruitment will be impacted greatly by Banks’ relationship with offensive line coaches at his three favorites. - GH

4 Malick Sylla, DE, Katy High (2022)

The 6-foot-6, 230-pound junior is an elite athlete that could line up at multiple positions in college. Everybody, including Texas and Texas A&M, want his services. The Horns and Aggies are pushing all the proverbial chips to the center of the table in this recruitment. With 30 offers in hand, there's some early buzz the Aggies could be the team to watch, but it's way too early for those predictions. If UT's defensive line continues to build like it is, Sylla can't help but be swayed by Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen's success. - JW

5 Harold Perkins, OLB, Cy Park (2022)

Perkins’ special level of athleticism at 6-foot-2 and 200-pounds places the Houston area playmaker high on the list. Both Texas and Texas A&M are all in on Perkins, but the competition will be fierce with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon and USC among the many top programs all after the ultra athletic prospect. - GH

6 Bryce Foster, OG, Katy Taylor (2021)

The Mountain grew up immersed in maroon, so the Aggies were always going to be a factor. He also built a nice relationship with Herb Hand, and high school teammate Hayden Conner is a part of UT's C/O 2021. Despite a family of Aggies and a long relationship with the UT staff, we often see a compromise school - a college that isn't the home favorite - and in this case, Oklahoma might win out by default. - JW

7 Albert Regis, DT, La Porte (2021)

Texas has surged to the lead in this recruitment due to the work of defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen, and the fact that Marcus Burris will likely slide to tackle for the Aggies. That means there are two defensive tackles in the A&M class already. As Texas continues to build depth all along the defensive front to 2000-09 levels, prospects like Regis enter “must get” territory for Herman and staff. The last defensive tackle prospect Texas won out of La Porte was Shaun Rogers. - GH

If Texas lands Regis, they'll have beaten A&M to do it. - JW

8 Denver Harris, CB, North Shore (2022)

Harris is an elite CB prospect in-state in the 2022 class, and that means every national program will be at North Shore looking to steal the speedy playmaker from Texas and Texas A&M. The Longhorns have a significant edge over Texas A&M in this battle at this point, and that is not expected to change even though both schools covet Harris. LSU and Alabama are certainly players in this one too. - GH

9 Kam Dewberry, OG/T, Atascocita (2022)

One of the top offensive linemen in the country for 2022, the Humble resident and MaxPreps Sophomore All-American, has an SEC feel to his recruitment. At 6-foot-4, 313 pounds, the four-star holds 30 offers, but might be SEC-bound if you talk to him enough. If there's one thing A&M can offer, it's playing in a different conference. This cycle might be critical for Herb Hand's future in Austin, so I anticipate a spirited battle for Dewberry's services. LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn join Texas and Ohio State in this sweepstakes. - JW

10 Donovan Green, TE, Dickinson (2022)

The top-rated tight end in Texas for the 2022 class has a long list of suitors, including Fan Club VP @WilliamsDavid. With 42 offers in hand before his first junior snap, it's easy to see why UT and A&M are all in for the 6-foot-4, 220-pound four-star. He was named a District 24-6A first-team selection at TE as a sophomore and also a MaxPreps All-American. The tight end room in Austin hasn't looked so good in years, so maybe the Horns 'use TE like NFL' after all, even though A&M has had some success with the position in Fisher's tenure. - JW

11 PJ Williams, OT, Dickinson (2022)

While Green receives most of the headlines in the 2022 class at Dickinson, Williams has the highest upside of any prospect in a talented program and colleges know it. With basketball feet at 6-foot-5, extremely long arms and big hands, Williams is a high ceiling tackle prospect coveted by Texas, Texas A&M and many others nationally. Green and Williams are close, and their families are closer. While things can change quickly in recruiting, Green and Williams signing with the same school is a likely scenario at this point. Texas has quietly done a very good job in this recruitment. - GH

Honorable Mention: Quinn Ewers, QB - Southlake Carroll - Believe it or not, but Ewers was the top QB on A&M's big board for 2022. Jimbo Fisher, the supposed quarterback whisperer, had his eyes on Ewers, but Quinn wasn't having any of that. It's one thing to commit to Texas, it's another to grow up a UT fan. Despite Fisher's signal-caller prowess, the nation's top rated QB wanted nothing of College Station. - JW

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Man I Love SURLY....  

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

59 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Hey is your woo CTJ coming back around to football? I think he said he couldn’t be mentally invested in something that he thought was futile, but the games are happening man. 

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well see. I think he'll be back this week. 

He's been back for weeks.  Just look at @Casual Encounter's avatar

• Hook 'Em 1