Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I keep forgetting Thornton is a 2021 recruit. Adding him would be absolutely huge and would really change how we view this year’s WR class, plus with how we look on offense and LSU’s potential struggles, the Earle flip possibility is starting to feel a little more real. I’d pretty much written off much hope for the 2021 WR class, but all of a sudden we  have some life in two top 100 recruitments. That would be about as big of a 180 at a position as I can remember, until Hand flips the Brocks and Donovan Jackson, of course. 

Did I miss something? Why is an Earle flip a possibility now? 

19 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Did I miss something? Why is an Earle flip a possibility now? 

Earle committed to LSU without visiting and has remained in contact with the Horns coaches.  The perception is he wanted to go through the recruiting process but caved in to a "take it or leave it" offer from Orgeron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’d honestly rather shoot myself than try to read that whole thing. This is classic Ian Boyd. He just writes the most boring words imaginable going in an endless loop.  If we leave a CB alone on the boundary, other teams will attack that, and if we take the safety off the slot fade to help on the boundary, then teams will attack the slot fade.
No shit, dude. There’s no such thing as a perfect coverage, which is why teams disguise and mix up coverages and make coverage decisions based on opposing personnel, so obviously we’ll handle coverages differently against Tech than UTEP. He really is the epitome of missing the forest for the trees. 

not only that but when he claimed we were playing cover 3 to trips and single, we were playing cover 1 man. i dont get it...

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

spacer.png

Not a take?? He's our *only* take at Safety! I don't get this Nahlin dude's reporting on Clemson and Mukuba, it's been consistently 180 degrees from everything the Clemson boards report. The only thing I can think of is Nahlin might be confusing Clemson's desire to get Mukuba on campus before accepting a commitment with not accepting a potential commitment. Clemson likes to get kids on campus and see how committed they are, and I'm sure that will change now that the dead period has been extended to January. Either way, it's puzzling to say the only Safety Clemson is recruiting isn't a take for them. 

clemson knows. 

33 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

not only that but when he claimed we were playing cover 3 to trips and single, we were playing cover 1 man. i dont get it...

Yeah, it seems like the switch concept between the left receivers 1 and 2 indicates cover 1 man. For any 3 match coverage, they'd hand those receivers off to each other, right?

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

We'll see. There's a very real possibility that aggy goes 5-5 this season.

But the Horns shouldn't have to rely on aggy going 5-5 to land offensive linemen from Texas.  That makes it sound like Hand is sitting on his ass waiting for recruits to come to him based on the records of other state universities.  

Edited by Mdhorn

33 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

But the Horns shouldn't have to rely on aggy going 5-5 to land offensive linemen from Texas.  That makes it sound like Hand is sitting on his ass waiting for recruits to come to him based on the records of other state universities.  

I fail to detect the reverential tones mandated when alluding to THE PREMIER IN-STATE SEC SCHOOL.

Such impertinence will not be tolerated.

This is your final warning. 

34 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Is it a case of Hand being thoroughly unable to relate to recruits or is he just really terrible at combating negative recruiting?

Or maybe he just really only connects with people when they are in person. Cooking for them seems to be one of his go to moves. Last year and the year prior he seemed to do just fine with solid classes, but this year he has been taking an ass whipping. Nothing has really changed between now and then for that position group except the methods of recruitment.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, cafe society said:

is he just really terrible at combating negative recruiting?

Other coaches and recruiters are pointing out Hand's failures in developing several highly rated guys at Texas, as well as pointing to the communication struggles the OL had last season and their inability to adjust in-game. That OU game featured Cosmi-Braun-Shackleford-Angilau-Kerstetter. If your OL coach can't make adjustments in-game with that group - a group that had played A LOT of football... 

Hand doesn't really have film to combat their arguments. His contemporaries/competitors do.

Kerstetter is in his 3rd year with him and a 4 year guy, ditto Cosmi. Okafor 3rd with Hand and 5th in the program. Angilau, Ghirmai. Moore. Jones. (even Hookfin/Johnson). Those guys have had a lot of time in this program. The S&C program and diet is top-tier, the new OC is one of the best in the country. If the OL unit at this point isn't exemplary (and it certainly wasn't in 2019) it falls exclusively at Hand's feet. it's not a hard argument for the opposition to make. it is clearly a hard one to combat. 

He also fell way behind in the class and that is on him. He got Conner and that was/is HUGE. His work with the Brocks and his long dalliance with Foster led to absolutely nothing and in the process he fell behind in the relationship building with the rest of the 2021 class. Those relationships can help smooth things so that you aren't flat-footed in tougher conversations. Covid came and smashed his recruiting angle -- specific to his personality. (BBQ/camaraderie) 

Right now he needs for Hookfin/Jones to take over and be badass and for Angilau to continue to improve because the recruits have already been conditioned to note that Cosmi is a one-hit wonder and that his own internal fire/drive had more to do with his successes than Hand, and right or wrong it's coming at them from several sources. Perception/reality yada yada. His panic offers and misses to guys that should maybe be PWO candidates at a school like Texas only exacerbate the feel that he's struggling and doesn't have a plan - I haven't heard anything about that being a conversation point but I can say that if I was recruiting against him for anyone else in the 2021 class it would come up, so assume that it is.  The struggles in 2021 have already put him behind in the relationship building for 2022 and as noted his style is severely hampered by the Zoom/Covid world. He's going to need the 2020 OL to be really good AND he's still going to need help. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Or maybe he just really only connects with people when they are in person. Cooking for them seems to be one of his go to moves.

For sure. He is the coach most impacted by Covid - in terms of his style of recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Is it a case of Hand being thoroughly unable to relate to recruits or is he just really terrible at combating negative recruiting?

I think it was a case of doing a poor job moving off the Brocks earlier combined with the fact Texas was 8-5 and the OL had consistency issues with a piss poor scheme. 

The previous year Hand had no problem getting the OL class sealed up before fall workouts coming off a 10 win season. He also got an early commitment out of no where from supposed aggy lean Conner to start the 2021 class.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So if Hand can't get the job done, who would be the best candidates to replace him??

Found this info to help:

ive got to have Dwayne Ledford from Louisville up there as well. Becton went 11 overall, PFF has had their OL scoring extremely well dating back to last year (and even week 1 this year), and he makes $650K like Hand.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it was a case of doing a poor job moving off the Brocks earlier combined with the fact Texas was 8-5 and the OL had consistency issues with a piss poor scheme. 

The previous year Hand had no problem getting the OL class sealed up before fall workouts coming off a 10 win season. He also got an early commitment out of no where from supposed aggy lean Conner to start the 2021 class.

While that is true, it would still be unacceptable if he fucks up 21 and 22, two absolutely loaded classes with championship level talents.  I hope Herman and Yurcich are working hard to solve this right now.  

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

You extrapolated a lot from my response to the original quote below:

"I guess we should move this to the 2022 thread, but I'm still comforting myself with the fact that these names are just now starting their junior years, and there weren't a lot of camps this summer. Hopefully that at least gives us a better opportunity to identify additional prospects than the disaster currently unfolding in the '21 class.

But yeah it's going to suck watching aggy land Banks and Dewberry while we stand around holding our dicks in our hands."

My, "There's a good chance aggy will go 5-5," comment was in direct response to the bolded section above.

While you are correct that: Texas shouldn't be recruiting solely based on the records of the schools we are recruiting against; I never said that was the case, nor, I'm sure, is that what the staff is doing. I have a feeling that Carrington will be much more involved in OL recruiting from the get go for the 2022 class. Nonetheless, if aggy goes 5-5, it will certainly help. I was merely challenging the negative premise that aggy is going to easily land Banks and Dewberry while the Texas staff sits around and does nothing.

Edited by MuellerHorn

15 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

You extrapolated a lot from my response to the original quote below:

"I guess we should move this to the 2022 thread, but I'm still comforting myself with the fact that these names are just now starting their junior years, and there weren't a lot of camps this summer. Hopefully that at least gives us a better opportunity to identify additional prospects than the disaster currently unfolding in the '21 class.

But yeah it's going to suck watching aggy land Banks and Dewberry while we stand around holding our dicks in our hands."

My, "There's a good chance aggy will go 5-5," comment was in direct response to the bolded section above.

While you are correct that: Texas shouldn't be recruiting solely based on the records of the schools we are recruiting against; I never said that was the case, nor, I'm sure, is that what the staff is doing. I have a feeling that Carrington will be much more involved in OL recruiting from the get go for the 2022 class. Nonetheless, if aggy goes 5-5, it will certainly help. I was merely challenging the negative premise that aggy is going to easily land Banks and Dewberry while the Texas staff sits around and does nothing.

I'm hoping this year is an anomaly and some recruits are seeking a placeholder.  

Offensive linemen don't often flip and commit early.  This is the problem with Hand.  5-5 would definitely help but best scenario would be that Texas has a great season and gets some offensive linemen drafted early.  

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

Other coaches and recruiters are pointing out Hand's failures in developing several highly rated guys at Texas, as well as pointing to the communication struggles the OL had last season and their inability to adjust in-game. That OU game featured Cosmi-Braun-Shackleford-Angilau-Kerstetter. If your OL coach can't make adjustments in-game with that group - a group that had played A LOT of football... 

Hand doesn't really have film to combat their arguments. His contemporaries/competitors do.

Kerstetter is in his 3rd year with him and a 4 year guy, ditto Cosmi. Okafor 3rd with Hand and 5th in the program. Angilau, Ghirmai. Moore. Jones. (even Hookfin/Johnson). Those guys have had a lot of time in this program. The S&C program and diet is top-tier, the new OC is one of the best in the country. If the OL unit at this point isn't exemplary (and it certainly wasn't in 2019) it falls exclusively at Hand's feet. it's not a hard argument for the opposition to make. it is clearly a hard one to combat. 

He also fell way behind in the class and that is on him. He got Conner and that was/is HUGE. His work with the Brocks and his long dalliance with Foster led to absolutely nothing and in the process he fell behind in the relationship building with the rest of the 2021 class. Those relationships can help smooth things so that you aren't flat-footed in tougher conversations. Covid came and smashed his recruiting angle -- specific to his personality. (BBQ/camaraderie) 

Right now he needs for Hookfin/Jones to take over and be badass and for Angilau to continue to improve because the recruits have already been conditioned to note that Cosmi is a one-hit wonder and that his own internal fire/drive had more to do with his successes than Hand, and right or wrong it's coming at them from several sources. Perception/reality yada yada. His panic offers and misses to guys that should maybe be PWO candidates at a school like Texas only exacerbate the feel that he's struggling and doesn't have a plan - I haven't heard anything about that being a conversation point but I can say that if I was recruiting against him for anyone else in the 2021 class it would come up, so assume that it is.  The struggles in 2021 have already put him behind in the relationship building for 2022 and as noted his style is severely hampered by the Zoom/Covid world. He's going to need the 2020 OL to be really good AND he's still going to need help. 

For sure. He is the coach most impacted by Covid - in terms of his style of recruiting. 

20200918-231532.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

We aren't getting an elite recruit from Mississippi that the Bama/LSU/Georiga/Florida/Auburn types actually want badly. It's honestly not worth monitoring until it's clear that those schools are running out of spots in their classes 

I know, it's just the tiny town that side of the family is from. Let me dream.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean, is he elite though?

If he can put on 70lbs and not lose any speed, he might be the most athletic left tackle that we have ever recruited. In all seriousness though, he is pretty good and in the Troy Omeire mold. He isn't near the player Thornton is thought to be, though.

14 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

ive got to have Dwayne Ledford from Louisville up there as well. Becton went 11 overall, PFF has had their OL scoring extremely well dating back to last year (and even week 1 this year), and he makes $650K like Hand.

Will be watching that Louisville OL tonight vs Miami...

• Hook 'Em 1