Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

54 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Stoops and Riley have been running up scores with big leads to pad numbers for fucking years and no one said a word. Tom should be doing this every chance he gets. Fuck anyone who bitches about it.

I disagree.  poor sportsmanship sends a bad message to the kids.  it’s fine if OU does it, but we’re texas. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

17 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Stoops and Riley have been running up scores with big leads to pad numbers for fucking years and no one said a word. Tom should be doing this every chance he gets. Fuck anyone who bitches about it.

Have to pad stats these days.  Huepel was still running hurry up with a lead deep into the 4th yesterday.   It’s in the gooner dna.   I hope we do it going forward

Clemson 247

Clemson's longtime top priority at safety, Andrew Mukuba, will announce his commitment decision among Clemson, Texas, LSU, and Missouri on Oct. 1. Mukuba, an Austin (Texas) LBJ product, announced his decision date on Sunday. 

Clemson247 caught up with him for the latest. 

"At first I thought I might need to wait until December because it's such a big decision and not an easy one," Mukuba said. "But I'm ready to focus on my senior season. I've prayed a lot, talked to a lot of people, and gotten a lot of advice from people.

"I know where my heart is." 

This past week, the NCAA announced the extension of the recruiting dead period through Jan. 1. Mukuba is on pace to be a midyear enrollee and plans to sign in December. So an in-person visit to Clemson can't occur under current circumstances. But on Saturday, Mukuba participated in his third "virtual visit" with Clemson. 

"I am talking with Clemson a lot," Mukuba said. "As a matter of fact, I did another virtual visit with Clemson before the game yesterday. I've done virtual visits with Clemson before, but this one was different because it was on a game day. The energy they had talking to me was probably the best [part]." 

Mukuba said throughout the lead-up to Clemson's 4 p.m. kickoff vs. The Citadel, he spoke with Dabo Swinney, Brent Venables, Mickey Conn, Todd Bates, and Mike Reed. 

"Trevor Lawrence also said what's up," Mukuba said. "And I got a tour of the locker room, facilities, and the field when the players were warming up. I feel like they did a great job of showing me around. I haven't visited before but I feel like I know Clemson." 

Mukuba's older brother joined him on the virtual visit. 

"My parents are more concerned with the education and that I'm safe in college," Mukuba said. "My older brother helps me with the football stuff of the recruiting process." 

Mukuba said distance isn't and has never been a hurdle for colleges to overcome in his recruitment. 

"To be honest, I feel like it's never been an issue," Mukuba said. "There are so many other things that are important to me in choosing a school that I'm considering." 

Mukuba said his relationship with Swinney has developed into a deeper one. 

"It was hard for me at first because coach Swinney wasn't really talking to me a lot," Mukuba said. "But along the way, I learned that he lets his staff take control of recruiting. He's very laidback. And coach Venables is kind of like the head coach of the defense, so that's how Clemson does things. But recently I've been talking to coach Swinney more and he's telling me how much Clemson wants me." 

Mukuba said he's closest with Venables but added he's developed good relationships with the Tigers' entire defensive staff. 

"They're telling me I'm their No. 1 focus and they've turned down some players who wanted to commit just to focus on me," Mukuba said. "They develop good players and the culture there is really good from what I've seen. You really can't go wrong with them."

In addition to Saturday's virtual visit, Mukuba said he FaceTimed with Swinney and Venables prior to Clemson's season opener vs. Wake Forest last weekend. 

The Tigers have yet to take a safety commitment this cycle, and the Tigers are likely to only sign one in 2021. 

Mukuba remains the focus. 

247Sports ranks Mukuba as the No. 14 safety and No. 212 overall prospect

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Clemson 247

Reveal hidden contents

Clemson's longtime top priority at safety, Andrew Mukuba, will announce his commitment decision among Clemson, Texas, LSU, and Missouri on Oct. 1. Mukuba, an Austin (Texas) LBJ product, announced his decision date on Sunday. 

"At first I thought I might need to wait until December because it's such a big decision and not an easy one," Mukuba said. "But I'm ready to focus on my senior season. I've prayed a lot, talked to a lot of people, and gotten a lot of advice from people.

This past week, the NCAA announced the extension of the recruiting dead period through Jan. 1. Mukuba is on pace to be a midyear enrollee and plans to sign in December. So an in-person visit to Clemson can't occur under current circumstances. But on Saturday, Mukuba participated in his third "virtual visit" with Clemson. 

"I am talking with Clemson a lot," Mukuba said. "As a matter of fact, I did another virtual visit with Clemson before the game yesterday. I've done virtual visits with Clemson before, but this one was different because it was on a game day. The energy they had talking to me was probably the best [part]." 

Mukuba said throughout the lead-up to Clemson's 4 p.m. kickoff vs. The Citadel, he spoke with Dabo Swinney, Brent Venables, Mickey Conn, Todd Bates, and Mike Reed. 

"Trevor Lawrence also said what's up," Mukuba said. "And I got a tour of the locker room, facilities, and the field when the players were warming up. I feel like they did a great job of showing me around. I haven't visited before but I feel like I know Clemson." 

"My parents are more concerned with the education and that I'm safe in college," Mukuba said. "My older brother helps me with the football stuff of the recruiting process." 

Mukuba said distance isn't and has never been a hurdle for colleges to overcome in his recruitment. 

"To be honest, I feel like it's never been an issue," Mukuba said. "There are so many other things that are important to me in choosing a school that I'm considering." 

"It was hard for me at first because coach Swinney wasn't really talking to me a lot," Mukuba said. "But along the way, I learned that he lets his staff take control of recruiting. He's very laidback. And coach Venables is kind of like the head coach of the defense, so that's how Clemson does things. But recently I've been talking to coach Swinney more and he's telling me how much Clemson wants me." 

Mukuba said he's closest with Venables but added he's developed good relationships with the Tigers' entire defensive staff. 

"They're telling me I'm their No. 1 focus and they've turned down some players who wanted to commit just to focus on me," Mukuba said. "They develop good players and the culture there is really good from what I've seen. You really can't go wrong with them."

In addition to Saturday's virtual visit, Mukuba said he FaceTimed with Swinney and Venables prior to Clemson's season opener vs. Wake Forest last weekend. 

The Tigers have yet to take a safety commitment this cycle, and the Tigers are likely to only sign one in 2021. 

That just screams Clemson but i would love to be surprised.

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

Clemson 247

Hide contents

Welp see ya. Going to recruit over you in ‘22 anyway. 

/s

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Bobby Burton: Sunday

Through two weeks of the season and all of the football I’ve watched, below are a few of my thoughts...

I feel like the two best teams I’ve watched thus far are Clemson and Notre Dame. Neither team is “complete”. But I think both have the firepower to win any game they play in, and any of their weaknesses can be overcome in a single game setting.

Texas’ dominant victory over UTEP was not a work of smoke and mirrors. There was a level of true domination in that game, one that has been rare to see from the Longhorns in the last 10 years or so. I don’t know if that means Texas is turning a corner as a program, or if it’s a result a fourth-year starter at QB as well as a couple of highly touted recruiting classes coming of age. I tend to think Texas is on the precipice of being a strong, consistently good program. But there are no guarantees. Texas needs to continue to recruit at an elite level and continue to develop its talent.

I didn’t order the OU-Missouri State game on PPV so I can’t say I saw any of it. However, the dominance of the OU defense, from a statistical standpoint, over a Bobby Petrino-coached offense was eye-catching. Sure, it’s Missouri State, but OU’s D has clearly improved in the last couple of years. Also eye-opening was the number of sacks allowed by the OU offensive line. Their line is clearly talented but it’s also young.

Other teams in the Big 12 have not looked all that good. I watched all of the Oklahoma State-Tulsa contest yesterday. OSU’s defense looks solid. Their offense failed to get going until they moved to the pistol look that seemed to confuse the Tulsa run D and finally got the OSU ground attack some room to operate. The Cowboys have a pair of good running backs even though the OL looks like a work in progress.

I’m not even sure what to say about other teams in the conference. Like others, I was surprised by the closeness of the Texas Tech-Houston Baptist score. The Red Raiders had little problem moving the ball but a hard time stopping their opponent. It’s unclear just how good the Tech offense is. It wouldn’t be the first time the Red Raiders have relied on out-scoring their opponents rather than stopping them.

K-State and Iowa State lost to better teams. The Iowa State OL has issues and they seem to lack a playmaker on the outside on offense. Their defense also seems a little less speedy than a year ago. As for the Wildcats, their OL also looks hit or miss and they seem to lack firepower in general. They are well coached but I’m not sure they have the players to make it happen for them this year.

Baylor and TCU remains enigmas. Neither has played a game. Baylor lost so many players from last year’s defense that it’s hard to think they’ll be able to be as good as they were. They also lost several key pieces on offense. If TCU’s QB situation were more clear, the Horned Frogs might join OU as the conference’s most difficult foes on paper. But Texas gets TCU early, before Max Duggan is expected to return under center.

After two weeks, it looks like the Horns should be in the thick of the race for the Big 12. Anything less than a Big 12 title appearance would be a major let down. But it goes game by game. The Horns can’t let their guard down, starting next Saturday in Lubbock.

37 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Why do Austin area kids hate us? JK Dobbins, Garrett Wilson, Elijah Higgins, Mukuda, probably Burton next year. 

Look at which schools are beating us out for them. Ohio State (x2). Clemson. Both have been much better than us this decade on the field. Either that or there are weird extenuating circumstances that push them away from us, like with Stephan Zabie/Levi Jones.

And Stanford is of course a unique situation (not opening that can of worms again).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Look at which schools are beating us out for them. Ohio State (x2). Clemson. Both have been much better than us this decade on the field. Either that or there are weird extenuating circumstances that push them away from us, like with Stephan Zabie/Levi Jones.

And Stanford is of course a unique situation (not opening that can of worms again).

tumblr_nhxqj9euTi1u126m8o1_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

no they saw first hand being from austin how bad texas developed players the coaches couldnt woo them with their pitch/sell because players knew it was fraud 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1