Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

I think everyone here agrees with that.

The issue is that Hand clearly panicked and began following and offering players that simply do not fit the framework of the jumbo athlete that this staff has identified in the past. So not only was he not targeting the type of athletes that we have had a lot of success identifying and signing - he was actually taking numbers away from them for guys that would never play a down at Texas. Guys that didn't fit the physical profile that Herman/Chang/McKnight favor. 

Until this year that is 100% true but Hand has absolutely reached and shown interest in guys that would never see the field here and should at-best be considered PWO spots. Hence, everyone here being gunshy about another private school OT. It's not about that kid specifically it's about Hand's flailing.  It's not a secret. It's also clear that the rest of the staff was not thrilled with Hand's targets, note that Yurcich has involved himself directly with OL recruiting now. 

It is not plausible that Hand has or ever had authority to make offers without Herman's signoff.  

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Satya's gonna tell you why you're wrong after he's done masturbating to that ISU game a couple more times 

I believe he’s wrong because I don’t think Jerrod ever truly wanted to play the position once he got banged around a bit at the college level.

58 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Max Meril:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9681302/5e01467f664b92086412f59d

I don't know why we're offering now. He looks like the kind of guy you can get 2 weeks before NSD.  

Probably because we offered all the guys you can get 3 weeks before signing day already and they told us to pound sand and then get fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

He had to sit bc of transferring, and caught some mystery disease that wasn't mono but laid him out of practice for a year without being life-threatening.

I believe you can say “weeping pussy” on this board, sir. That’s a medical diagnosis. Wescott Ebberts has it, among others.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re reduced to going after numerous OL targets that are ranked 1,000+, outside the top 100 in Texas, etc.  And we’re mostly missing on those guys even when we’re legitimately giving committable offers months before signing day.

No position coach at Texas I can think of has ever failed this badly at recruiting.   Other than Case McCoy, all of those terrible QBs everyone listed were orders of magnitude better recruits than the OL we’re reduced to targeting this year.  McWhorter’s OL recruits were orders of magnitude higher ranked.   The only comparable thing I can think of would be some of the Todd Orlando years of not even recruiting until AFTER signing day and then signing malcontent JUCO LBs.  But Orlando sucked because he didn’t try.  Hand is actually trying, and this is just apparently the best he can do.  

He needs to sign two more legitimate Texas caliber recruits from OOS or wherever he can dig them up in this class, and demonstrate he’s fixed the apparent rocky start to the 2022 class before the end of the season, or he needs to go.  This is just nowhere near acceptable, and it’s compounded by the fact that he doesn’t exactly have a track record of coaching up his recruits into All-World offensive lines on game day at either Texas or Auburn, either.  

if you watched our game against UTEP, we still can't run block, fuck hand fire him now and make a real hire

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin is suggesting another corner take this cycle if/when we miss on Mukuba. Jalon Williams is someone we all know, he also threw out these names for senior tape:

Ore Adeyehttps://247sports.com/Player/Ore-Adeyi-46100106/ (247: 84)

Cameron Bonner https://247sports.com/Player/Cameron-Bonner-46099468/ (Composite: .8648)

Chase Lowery (Arkansas commit) - https://247sports.com/player/chase-lowery-46056061/ (Composite: .8519)

Darius Jackson (Missouri commit) - https://247sports.com/player/darius-jackson-46096634/ (Composite: .8506) 

Raymond Gay (okie lite commit) - https://247sports.com/player/raymond-gay-46100325/ (Composite: .8540)

Lathan Adams (Colorado St. commit) - https://247sports.com/player/lathan-adams-46055571/ (Composite: .8464)

If you're dreaming big, Ceyair Wright is still uncommitted, but without a visit, that's unlikely. He also shut out the possibility of Deuce Harmon flipping, but I think that's been pretty well established. 

Carrington recently started following Gay

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

He had to sit bc of transferring, and caught some mystery disease that wasn't mono but laid him out of practice for a year without being life-threatening.

10 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Chronic vaginal itch?

He caught the, "my girlfriend who I moved back to California for dumped me so she could fuck all the Lakers"-itis, and probably some herpes mixed in

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m getting pretty close to hopping on board the “Herb Hand Fucking Sucks” Train, Burt Macklin’s unabashed optimism be damned. This motherfucker is the new Giles. THERE. I SAID IT. 

After pages of argument, we've officially arrived at acceptance. Screeds incoming.

• Hook 'Em 1

Suchomel 

Things have moved pretty quickly with Texas and OL Max Merril. When I spoke with Merril last week, he had been in touch with UT, had an interest and was hoping an offer would come his way. If it did, he said Texas would be very high on his list.

Fast forward to this morning and the Strake Jesuit product picked up that Texas offer. I caught up with Merril just now, and he said that UT offer definitely has the attention of him and his family.

"It’s a really awesome offer for us," Merril said. "We really like texas, are really considering it heavily as a place I could wind up."

Merril said he's considering schools like Texas, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Duke and Arizona State. This one could come to a conclusion sooner rather than later. 

"I could make a decision by the end of this week even," Merril said. "I'm not too sure yet, but whenever I do, that’s where I’ll wind up for four years."

Stop me if you've heard this one before ... but this one just makes a ton of sense. Merril and his family really like UT, he strikes me as the type where staying close to home could be a factor and if he's considering a quick decision shortly after picking up the UT offer, that would certainly seem to be a good sign. I put my FutureCast pick in for Texas. Let's hope that early pick more resembles my pick for Michael Myslinski and not Jack Leyrer. 

Of note, Merril told me he's 6-5, 280. His dad is 6-7 and he has an uncle who is 6-8, 300, so he could still have another growth spurt in front of him

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Previous years’ OL recruiting seems fine. This year, we whiffed on a kid whose mom carries buckeyes in her purse, and a kid whose mom is as redass as they come. If Blake Brockermeyer wasn’t such a shithead, no one would be complaining right now. I’ll give Hand a pass until next year. 

I'm not going to just ignore shitty results to make myself feel better. Hand needs a good OL on the field this year to save his job in my book. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Of note, Merril told me he's 6-5, 280. His dad is 6-7 and he has an uncle who is 6-8, 300, so he could still have another growth spurt in front of him

Well wouldn't that just be the tits.

That's either padded an inch, or he's grown since last spring. Both possible.

11 hours ago, alphahorn said:

if you watched our game against UTEP, we still can't run block, fuck hand fire him now and make a real hire

It seems I remember when we hired Hand most posters here saying he wasn't any good a teaching pass blocking,  but was very good at teaching run blocking.  

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Well wouldn't that just be the tits.

That's either padded an inch, or he's grown since last spring. Both possible.

Just watched the hudl. I think he's a good take even if he's 6'4, and I like him more than most of the other plan b's we've been looking at

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Previous years’ OL recruiting seems fine. This year, we whiffed on a kid whose mom carries buckeyes in her purse, and a kid whose mom is as redass as they come. If Blake Brockermeyer wasn’t such a shithead, no one would be complaining right now. I’ll give Hand a pass until next year. 

That’s one way to look at it. Of course by all accounts he’s fucking up 2022 as well, cant counter negative recruiting, and is getting worked for 2nd and 3rd backup plans. As neon said, he needs a dominant line this year on the field and that looks pretty doubtful as well based on early returns. You fuck up 2 OL classes in a row and youre fucked for years. And personally, as a Texas fan, I’m tired of giving motherfuckers passes and waiting for more data when the trend line is alarming and obvious. I can’t think of anyone who has reversed a trend that negative in recent memory except Giles. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I have to give Hand at least this year and next year.  The past two years he had less than stellar athletes and the offensive system Texas ran only made things worse. A definite case of trying to force a system without the right players to be successful. That's not on Hand.  He's definitely got some better players in the system and now he's got a offensive system that should help the line but they still are pretty young as a unit.  Need to see progress this year and marked improvement next year.

I don't care much about "stars" and rankings when it comes to offensive lineman as to me that is one place where rankings are a complete crap shoot. We've been pushed around by 2 stars as much as 5 stars as well. It's all about development and depth.  I feel like we're headed in the right direction. This year will go long way into showing that.

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I have to give Hand at least this year and next year.  The past two years he had less than stellar athletes and the offensive system Texas ran only made things worse. A definite case of trying to force a system without the right players to be successful. That's not on Hand.  He's definitely got some better players in the system and now he's got a offensive system that should help the line but they still are pretty young as a unit.  Need to see progress this year and marked improvement next year.

I don't care much about "stars" and rankings when it comes to offensive lineman as to me that is one place where rankings are a complete crap shoot. We've been pushed around by 2 stars as much as 5 stars as well. It's all about development and depth.  I feel like we're headed in the right direction. This year will go long way into showing that.

While the dude seriously pulling the "we gotta fire him now after a 59-3 win" was clearly a bit special, I think this year is pretty make or break for him. If things suck, no reason to keep him into next year.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Just watched the hudl. I think he's a good take even if he's 6'4, and I like him more than most of the other plan b's we've been looking at

I'm mostly impressed that he already has his 2021 highlights up. Even if a time traveler can't ever start for us, he should be able to tell our coaches which play the other team is about to run. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

I was looking at this last night and I think it's a mixed bag. There are definitely some that you can't really blame Hand for:

• Brockermeyers. By all accounts the problem here was just that Blake is a baby that doesn't like Tom Herman.
  • Foster. This one was actually thought to be trending our direction before mama put her foot down. It happens.

But there's plenty of stuff to blame him for as well:

• We never moved the needle at all with Savion Byrd
  • Invested time in the two Arizona guys to absolutely no avail.
  • Ignored Reuben Fatheree entirely for some reason.
  • Didn't keep the 2nd/3rd tier of Leyrer/Lengyel-types sufficiently warm to get them to give us a serious look.

I don't know what to believe on Jackson. Some have said he was all tOSU all along, but others have said we could have landed him until he saw our OL get abused in the RRS last year.

2 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

In terms of Hand's failures this cycle, I was always disappointed that we never really pushed for Matthew Wykoff. I think he would look fantastic in this class right now.

https://247sports.com/player/matthew-wykoff-46080998/

Waste of time. Redass. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If we had offered another tackle, Blake would have used it as a public excuse for looking around. If we were keeping guys warm and that leaked out, he would have used it as a public excuse for not trusting Texas.

Not sure I agree with this.  Blake didn't need an excuse to look around,  he was already doing it. 

If it is true,  and I don't know if it is,   then Tom is the weak one here.  

11 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Not sure I agree with this.  Blake didn't need an excuse to look around,  he was already doing it. 

If it is true,  and I don't know if it is,   then Tom is the weak one here.  

The All-American alumnus would have benefitted greatly from some sort of cover. He and Kristy are currently experiencing the effects of not having any cover whatsoever because of how much kowtowing TH/Yancy/Hand eventually did.

• Hook 'Em 6

56 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Ignored Reuben Fatheree entirely for some reason.

He doesn't like football and he's been an aggy commit for all intents and purposes since 8th grade. His dad may have dog-and-pony-showed visits and interest but any effort in that recruitment was wasted effort. 

7 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I was always disappointed that we never really pushed for Matthew Wykoff.

I love him as well, but as noted above he is a redass from a family of redasses. Aggy had Wykoff and Zuhn just plopped in their laps. They lost some of their other legacy guys but those 2 stuck and they are both really good at a position of dire need. 

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

but I'd rather have Merril than Fatheree if I'm honest. And that's not sour grapes, I just don't like him as a prospect. 

Agreed. Being a college football player is a fucking grind even if you love it. He clearly doesn't love or even like the sport. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I don't know what to believe on Jackson. Some have said he was all tOSU all along, but others have said we could have landed him until he saw our OL get abused in the RRS last year.

The ONLY way that he goes anywhere other than tOSU is if tOSU never offers. He was an absolute stone cold lock to tOSU and the RRS had zero impact on that recruitment. It might have had an impact on his decision if tOSU didn't come calling and it becomes a Stanford/Texas/Notre Dame battle. Any effort in recruiting him was for the slim chance that he hits the portal in a couple of years, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I was looking at this last night and I think it's a mixed bag. There are definitely some that you can't really blame Hand for:

• Brockermeyers. By all accounts the problem here was just that Blake is a baby that doesn't like Tom Herman.
  • Foster. This one was actually thought to be trending our direction before mama put her foot down. It happens.

But there's plenty of stuff to blame him for as well:

• We never moved the needle at all with Savion Byrd
  • Invested time in the two Arizona guys to absolutely no avail.
  • Ignored Reuben Fatheree entirely for some reason.
  • Didn't keep the 2nd/3rd tier of Leyrer/Lengyel-types sufficiently warm to get them to give us a serious look.

I actually have some fundamental disagreements with your post, although it was a good thoughtful post.

1.) The Foster shit was what, 12 months ago? More? Whenever it is MORE than enough to pivot to other fucking targets instead of kicking that dead horse. To wit:
2.) I disagree on the AZ guys. We barely flirted with them and never took them seriously. This is even more egregious, imo, than your post. He didn't invest any resources at all in 2 winnable recruitments. We ignored them because Brockermeyers, and Donovan Jackson, and Foster. 

It's not the Jacksons of this class that are the problem, or even the Fosters (if you cut bait when you should). It's the Byrds, Brockermeyers, AZ Invisibility, and then the 2nd/3rd tier trash heaps we still couldn't close with. IMO that's a pretty large indictment of fuckwaddery. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I disagree on the AZ guys. We barely flirted with them and never took them seriously.

Agreed, and to take it a step further we also ignored the Southern California guys and there was some legitimate interest in Texas from them. I know that Thomas Cole and Austin Barry both had interest in hearing from Texas and right now those kids would both look really good in our class. Cole is one of those late growing former TE guys that this staff covets and seems like a perfect fit for the team and scheme.  Barry is a bully that the ASU staff pounced on and right now those are trustable evals.  I don't think we need to be aggy and go OOS for every position every year, but we do need to treat Southern California like it's west Texas, and if a player here and there in AZ fits in we need to do that as well. Texas is exciting to those kids. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Cole-46082263/

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Barry-46094794/

• Hook 'Em 3