Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Previous years’ OL recruiting seems fine. This year, we whiffed on a kid whose mom carries buckeyes in her purse, and a kid whose mom is as redass as they come. If Blake Brockermeyer wasn’t such a shithead, no one would be complaining right now. I’ll give Hand a pass until next year. 

Then next year comes and it’s the same shitty offensive line recruiting so now we have two years of bad offensive line recruiting and we know how that goes.

BobbyBurton -- Wednesday

Chris Ash, welcome to the Big 12.

Now go stop Texas Tech and Alan Bowman.

Saturday will be Ash’s true indoctrination to the pass-happy Big 12 as a defensive coordinator.

Sure, he’s seen it before while an assistant at Iowa State. But unlike his peer on offense, Mike Yurcich, Ash has never been the one calling the shots in this conference.

And he’ll be doing it against a potent Red Raider offense. Think whatever you want about the closeness of Tech-Houston Baptist game, the problem for the Red Raiders clearly didn’t come on the offensive side of scrimmage.

All eyes will be on Ash and his squad’s performance on Saturday. And rightly so.

If the Horns have problems slowing Tech, what will that mean for an offense like OU?

I like the recent scholarship offer to Strake Jesuit offensive lineman Max Merril.

At his most recent combine appearance, Merril came in at 6-4, 262 pounds.

If he is still growing, and has room to get even bigger, that’s not all that different than what Sam Cosmi was at the same point in his development.

Like most high school OLs, Merril must continue to work hard on improving in pass protection. But his run blocking is extremely good. He shows athleticism, determination and some functional intelligence in how he leveraged defenders on specific run plays.

I enjoy watching film of high school players. So if you’re like me and want to look a little further, here are some highlights from his junior year.

Pretty impressive to me.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2CbU95

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BobbyBurton -- Wednesday

Chris Ash, welcome to the Big 12.

Now go stop Texas Tech and Alan Bowman.

Saturday will be Ash’s true indoctrination to the pass-happy Big 12 as a defensive coordinator.

Sure, he’s seen it before while an assistant at Iowa State. But unlike his peer on offense, Mike Yurcich, Ash has never been the one calling the shots in this conference.

And he’ll be doing it against a potent Red Raider offense. Think whatever you want about the closeness of Tech-Houston Baptist game, the problem for the Red Raiders clearly didn’t come on the offensive side of scrimmage.

All eyes will be on Ash and his squad’s performance on Saturday. And rightly so.

If the Horns have problems slowing Tech, what will that mean for an offense like OU?

I like the recent scholarship offer to Strake Jesuit offensive lineman Max Merril.

At his most recent combine appearance, Merril came in at 6-4, 262 pounds.

If he is still growing, and has room to get even bigger, that’s not all that different than what Sam Cosmi was at the same point in his development.

Like most high school OLs, Merril must continue to work hard on improving in pass protection. But his run blocking is extremely good. He shows athleticism, determination and some functional intelligence in how he leveraged defenders on specific run plays.

I enjoy watching film of high school players. So if you’re like me and want to look a little further, here are some highlights from his junior year.

Pretty impressive to me.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2CbU95

Burton with another pathetic entry into what should be christened as his "Fart In The Wind Collection." What a worthless fucking contribution. Seriously, why bother? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

This has always been the make it or break it year for Hand on the field, but with how poorly 21 and 22 OL recruiting continues to go, he’s going to have to prove himself to be a damn good OL coach to justify keeping him in the face of these recruiting woes, and the UTEP game didn’t do anything to show us he’s near that level. There’s going to have to be some serious improvement by the OL over the course of the season (beyond just Yurcich’s improved scheme protecting the OL better).

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Burton with another pathetic entry into what should be christened as his "Fart In The Wind Collection." What a worthless fucking contribution. Seriously, why bother? 

Because he gets praise from 247 subs every time he posts, regardless of vapidity. I would be willing to bet there’ll be at least 10 comments thanking Bobby for sharing his thoughts on this stuff. 

He does bring up one decent point though. while Tech probably isn’t very good overall, I think their offense will be at least decent this year, so we should be able to get a much better read on Ash and this defense. I do expect our offense to score in the 50s again this week, so the game shouldn’t be in doubt. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:
  • You can fault him for not getting them on campus sooner, but Jonah Miller was impacted by lack of visits. I'm not putting that on Hand. 

Miller was "impacted" by Hand putting no real effort into recruiting them - likely due to overconfidence re: where we stood with in-state targets. We offered the kid back in April of 2019, there was plenty of time to prioritize him and get him to visit before the Covid situation threw everything out of whack.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Miller was "impacted" by Hand putting no real effort into recruiting them - likely due to overconfidence re: where we stood with in-state targets. We offered the kid back in April of 2019, there was plenty of time to prioritize him and get him to visit before the Covid situation threw everything out of whack.

In April 2019, Rashaad Samples still worked for us, Blake Brockermeyer hadn't exposed his tiny dick yet, and they were slowplaying everyone else. Would you have preferred that they go hard at options 3-7 in April 2019 instead of play the game for the top of their board? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

From the Bama side

JT Tuimoloau: Bama continues to be strongly in the mix there. Bama/Ohio State race. Maybe still slight OSU lean but Bama has closed the gap and there's a real chance there to land him.

Shemar Turner: Not liking Bama as much here at this point. That could change if he takes trips, but thinking he ends up staying in-state at this point.

Tunmise Adeleye: Sticking with my Bama pick here for now. I don't think he has any plans to announce soon though." -- Hank (BOL Recruiting Chat)

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

While the dude seriously pulling the "we gotta fire him now after a 59-3 win" was clearly a bit special, I think this year is pretty make or break for him. If things suck, no reason to keep him into next year.

Fyi -- might be an obstacle for firing Coach Hand since his contract goes thru 2021 season...

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The All-American alumnus would have benefitted greatly from some sort of cover. He and Kristy are currently experiencing the effects of not having any cover whatsoever because of how much kowtowing TH/Yancy/Hand eventually did.

I keep seeing this referenced, but haven't actually seen anything where the Brocks are getting treated like Pariahs?  Would love to though.

5 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I keep seeing this referenced, but haven't actually seen anything where the Brocks are getting treated like Pariahs?  Would love to though.

There are posters here who can, and have, relayed specific situations and general dissent from prominent and not so prominent alums. There are also tangible actions Kristy is attempting to build bridges. Her husband is just following her with a flamethrower. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There are posters here who can, and have, relayed specific situations and general dissent from prominent and not so prominent alums. There are also tangible actions Kristy is attempting to build bridges. Her husband is just following her with a flamethrower. 

I'll take my 9.95er school diploma now, thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

2.) I disagree on the AZ guys. We barely flirted with them and never took them seriously. This is even more egregious, imo, than your post. He didn't invest any resources at all in 2 winnable recruitments. We ignored them because Brockermeyers, and Donovan Jackson, and Foster.

I don't understand why this year, in particular, the second the Brocks were out we didn't start flirting with more guys on the West Coast.  I am not even sure it is too late.  It may be for 2021 but not for 2022.   They have to be thinking twice about committing to a PAC school.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I can't even find Merrill on ESPN.  Maybe Gerry will deliver some BOMC.

He's going to get a decent bump likely just from getting a profile on ESPN and with his barely having a grade on 247 and Rivals, if he shows that he can not fall into a puddle of goo at the snap he's likely going to get decent bumps across the board and be the source of many a BOMC whiny post. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Mike Roach: Ishmael Ibraheem still '100 percent Texas'

Ishmael Ibraheem is suddenly one of the senior leaders on his team. The four-star 2021 prospect from Dallas Kimball has been playing for three years, and now he’s on the verge of his final year. For Ibraheem and his teammates, the goal this year is to go to state and make history for Dallas ISD. “We’re trying to get to state,” he said. “Dallas ISD has never been to state before and that’s what we are trying to do. We’re going to go crazy on the field. We’ve got all our guys and want to go 10-0.”

Ibraheem committed to Texas back in June. That hasn’t stopped schools from trying to contact him, but Ibraheem said he told them that his recruitment is shut down. “I’d say two or three that stay texting me,” Ibraheem said. “They just check to see if I’m still open, but I told them I’m one hundred percent Texas.” Ibraheem got to see Texas against UTEP and came away impressed with how they performed. “They went crazy,” he said. “The defense improved a lot since last year. So, that’s good to see.”

Ibraheem was able to watch the cornerbacks, and he saw one of his friends turn in a strong performance in the debut. “They were lockdown,” he said. “Especially Josh Thompson. He and I have been texting a lot. I can’t wait to get down there and meet him.” Ibraheem is working on a few players to join him at Texas. Andrew Mukuba and Shemar Turner are his two main targets at the moment.” “I’m still working on Andrew Mukuba and Shemar Turner,” he said. “I’ve been telling them Texas is the move because we’re building something real nice.”

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Ibraheem is ranked as the No. 12 cornerback in the nation and No. 23 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

meh o line recruiting doesnt really matter in the end

if all else fails you can just go to an air raid & dink & dunk passes can replace the run game 

you dont need 5* o lineman to pass block for 2 seconds 

But those offenses get shit on by teams with elite talent. So while you don’t need 5* oline to run that offense, you do need them to run an offense that can actually win championships. 

• Hook 'Em 1