Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

(Mike Roach) Performers of the week: Which commits and targets stood out?

High school football has been playing at the small school level for the last three weeks, and the higher levels are set to begin their seasons this week. Still, a few Texas commits and targets are well into their seasons and showing great performances on the field. Each week, we will be profiling performances from the star commits and targets who showed their stuff on Thursday and Friday nights around the country. Here are the three stars of the week.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville (2021)

Stats: 12 carries, 256 yards for four touchdowns

Brooks has been on a tear this season. The Texas commit hasn’t needed many carries to make an impact, and that continued this week. Averaging over 21 yards per carry, Brooks was impressive last Friday as he showed his usual blend of vision and instinctive running. Brooks’ frame is filling out, and he’s showing excellent burst to and through the hole. Brooks continues to show off dominant ability against small school competition, and he’s headed for a strong senior season as Hallettsville looks to make a deep run.

Brenen Thompson, ATH, Spearman (2022)

Stats: 152 yards rushing, 2 touchdowns, 69 receiving yards, 1 touchdown, 1 pick six.

Thompson does it all at the small school level, and he showed that off by scoring on the ground, as a receiver and on defense. Thompson is known as one of the fastest prospects in the state of Texas regardless of class, and that makes him hard to stop at the small school level. Not only does Thompson show off strong straight-line speed, but he also shows incredible quickness in small spaces to separate. Thompson can do a little bit of everything, but he’s probably best used as a do it all slot-back in college.

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo (2023)

Stats: 14 carries, 175 yards, 3 touchdowns

Owens is one of the best 2023 prospects in the country, and his 364 yards and 6 touchdowns through three games as part of a platoon proves that. Owens shows pristine feet and vision, and he hits the hole with a bang. A gliding runner who changes gears effortlessly, Owens is growing into a superstar running back with big play ability best fit in a spread offense. His time playing in a two-back system will also help keep the miles off of him early in his career.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The team hosted RDC. There was apparently some sessions scheduled around how to build your personal brand, prepping the younger guys for NIL

For the olds, this is a bfd

awesome man, love those guys. can't wait for the next anime house

49 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Haven't we heard this "Let's see how Texas does against OU" before? We all know how that recruitment turned out.

Exactly. Why chase the chick you know is just messing with you? This kid coming to Texas would be totally shocking to me. And even if he did, him staying would be just as big a shock. I don't see it.  

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The team hosted RDC. There was apparently some sessions scheduled around how to build your personal brand, prepping the younger guys for NIL

For the olds, this is a bfd

I'll have to agree with Tope. All their videos are pretty damn funny. Especially the Lebron ones. 

42 minutes ago, futureman said:

@Harvdog what’s the inside scoop?

After getting some distance from the situation, Tunmise now thinks his schoolmates dad was just trying to mentor him and wasn't fostering some sort of sicko codependency to live vicariously through him and possibly molest him....

Spoiler

Unfortunately, Tunmise is very, very wrong... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If somebody made an all time CFB All American team, Suh would deserve strong consideration for 1st team on that team

It is a well known fact that Suh ate Grant Wistrom on alumni day his Sophomore year. He was reverse double teaming linemen his last 2 years. Why does nobody bring this up?

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

@satyanash are your a pawg? r u a female or do any females post in the recruiting section? anyone want to chat with me in messages (girls only)

This is awkward.  The names I've referred to Satya by, Bloody Gash, for example... well, I've never actually said that to a female before.  Should I feel bad now?

• Haha 1