Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Does anyone actually think Satya is a woman? That’s ridiculous. Just because he constantly complains, second guesses every decision, can’t understand the points people make, is always scared and worried about nothing...

SociableDeafeningJunco-max-1mb.gif

I assume he’s about 5’4 and 105 lbs too

6 hours ago, futureman said:

@Harvdog what’s the inside scoop?

I think he wants the attention. He’s sitting out this year and that won’t help him. No one cares when you aren’t playing. He went to Florida and turned his back on his friends and talked all kinds of shit about his Texas HS football. Not smart. I would bet on either Alabama or A&M. Either way, best of luck to him and maybe he will follow through on the package deal promise. That will be a nice badge when him and James Brock transfer to Texas A&M Commerce so they can play. 

• Hook 'Em 3

247 Sports / Steve Wiltfong / Two new schools emerge for Top247 WR Dont'e Thornton

Spoiler

Two new schools emerge for Top247 WR Dont'e Thornton
STEVE WILTFONG

As Baltimore (Md.) Mount Saint Joseph Top247 receiver Dont'e Thornton continues to work through the recruiting process, of course Oregon and USC remain major players, as does Notre Dame.

A couple other programs have emerged here in the fall too.

“Texas and Georgia, they’re coming hard,” Thornton’s uncle Faschall Grade said. “They’re really, really trying to put the press on.

“It’s definitely intriguing.”

The 6-foot-4 1/2, 185-pound Thornton is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 6 receiver and No. 52 prospect overall. Oregon has been the long-time 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for Thornton who has always planned to make his college decision in January at the All-American Bowl.

That gives the Longhorns and Bulldogs time to make a move on the likes of the Ducks, Trojans and Irish.

“I’m a tell you Coach Tom Herman has been very instrumental from a recruiting standpoint from himself, we’ve talked a lot,” Grade said. “He has evaluated and gave perspective on where he thinks Dont’e is and how he can help the program. It’s definitely encouraging us to get to Austin and see Texas because it’s a great place to visit and be.

“We talk to Coach (Kirby) Smart and the wide receiver coach Cortez Hankton and they just tell us how Georgia is a nice place to be. One of the things, the connection we have that’s intriguing is Lawrence Cager and Dont’e know each other and played in the same division in high school. Just comparing him and Cager to the system that they have at Georgia and how Lawrence Cager adjusted when he came from Miami. Lawrence Cager had a successful one year there and they told Dont’e to talk to Cager which Cager loved it there.”

The Thornton camp could take some unofficial visits before deciding.

“We would like to get down to Georgia and Texas,” Grade said. “It’s good to see the Pac 12 open back up. We’ll try and get over and see SC and Oregon play. We’ll see where it goes the next couple weeks.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Super K on LJ:

I know I told you all we were expecting an announcement from 2021 RB, LJ Johnson in early September. Early September has come and gone.

I do not have a new timeline for him. I’m told that he just wants to take a little more time.

However, it does not sound like anything has changed in terms of the direction he’s leaning. Texas recently made his top four and we still believe this one is trending towards Texas.

I’ll let you know if anything changes.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Am I paranoid or does "Oregon has done a great job here" sound like "he's a silent to Oregon"?

This is one of those recruitments in which academics may make up a deficit.  The kid obviously wants to get as far the fuck away from Baltimore as possible.  Everything I've read about him indicates that academics matter, really matter.  That eliminates Oregon, which is the epitome of mediocrity in that arena.  Two of my nephews graduated Ducks and lost no time getting into grad schools that elevated their record.  This feels like it will swing our way if we win.

16 minutes ago, cafe society said:

This is one of those recruitments in which academics may make up a deficit.  The kid obviously wants to get as far the fuck away from Baltimore as possible.  Everything I've read about him indicates that academics matter, really matter.  That eliminates Oregon, which is the epitome of mediocrity in that arena.  Two of my nephews graduated Ducks and lost no time getting into grad schools that elevated their record.  This feels like it will swing our way if we win.

It's a fine "get the fuck out of Baltimore" option to be fair. Better than like Auburn or something.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's a fine "get the fuck out of Baltimore" option to be fair. Better than like Auburn or something.

Agree completely.  But if academics carry the importance that I read - no, I'm not naive to the academics tone poem many recruits recite - then I believe Texas has a real, serious chance.  USC as well.  And Athens surpasses Eugene in that regard, too.   Austin is further away from trouble than Athens, Los Angeles has the potential for too much trouble.  Spitballing.  Feels right.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Agree completely.  But if academics carry the importance that I read - no, I'm not naive to the academics tone poem many recruits recite - then I believe Texas has a real, serious chance.  USC as well.  And Athens surpasses Eugene in that regard, too.   Austin is further away from trouble than Athens, Los Angeles has the potential for too much trouble.  Spitballing.  Feels right.

Are we talking about Bryan Pickryl type importance? If not, forget about the academics nonsense. 

Bobby Burton: Friday

The weather in Lubbock is something I always check out prior to the team playing there. The plains of West Texas can produce irregular weather systems. But it looks benign on Saturday. The temperature in Lubbock is expected to be in the low 90s at kickoff. The forecast calls for plenty of sunshine, not much wind and low humidity.

Texas has three receivers that I think I truly lightning in a bottle. Josh Moore, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington. Two of them are out against Tech. If this game gets in to a true scoring fest, Texas is going to have to dig deep to come out on top.

Texas looked outstanding in game one of 2020. There are no two ways about it. However, this game against Tech will tell us even more about who these Longhorns are. Unlike against UTEP, everything Texas wants to accomplish in 2020 is on the line in Lubbock. There is little room for error in the game and no room on the schedule for a conference loss. The Horns need to play loose and uptempo. But that is easier said than done. I expect a tough match in Lubbock. Let’s see if Texas has the mental resolve to continue to execute at a high level - that is what happened against UTEP and just because the opponent changes, it can’t fail to happen week after week if Texas wants 2020 to be a breakthrough campaign.

Less than a week after receiving an offer from Texas, Strake Jesuit offensive lineman Max Merril is expected to make a commitment today at noon. Texas is thought to be the leader but in a year that has been so wacky, you never know until the end.

The headline says it all: “For Years the NFL Have Coveted the Prototypical Quarterback. Now There Isn’t One." VY came around about a decade too early for the NFL and he went to the wrong head coach.

Lubbock was the site of one of the two biggest losses in Longhorn history. Graham Harrell to Michael Crabtree robbed the Horns of a chance to play for the national title. The other for me is the Georgia-Texas Cotton Bowl of the early 80s. Those two defeats still sting because of the repurcussions. Because of what could have been had they won. I’ve seen other demoralizing losses, ones to UCLA and OU. But Tech and Georgia are ones that just kind of haunt a Texas fan forever.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Friday

Normally his posts are bad because he doesn’t actually say anything, but sharing his analysis is even worse. He thinks there’s little room for error against a team that eeked out a win by the thinnest of margins against HBU and against whom we’re favored by 19 points? And he thinks we’ll struggle at WR of all positions? Bobby Burton is a fucking moron. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2