Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

They're rushing three linemen (THREE LINEMEN) and they're getting pressure/sacks. OL still can't figure out how to block a simple stunt. A win is a win but the OL is getting waxed today.

Christian Jones had key mistakes - chop block,  couldn't pick up the stunt.   Checked his bio after the game,  very  inexperienced,  began playing football his junior year of high school. No other option ?

With the benefit of hindsight, an ankle injury last spring seems to be the only thing that kept Christian Jones from parlaying the buzz he created in practices leading up to the Sugar Bowl at the end of 2018 into a featured role up front. If the former soccer player who didn't take up football until his junior year of high school is going to make his move, he can do it in 2020 with the right tackle job open and Jones possessing all of the tools to man the spot.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-10-former-recruiting-sleepers-help-Texas-win-in-2020-Tom-Herman-Sam-Cosmi-Chris-Brown-147515541/#147515541_5

Mike Roach: Recruits react to UT's thrilling overtime win over Texas Tech

Texas finished off an unlikely and thrilling 63-56 overtime victory against Texas Tech in Lubbock. The game was broadcast nationally on Fox and Horns247 spoke to several Texas targets to get their reaction.

Austin High QB Charles Wright: “It was exhilarating. The whole team battled and made big plays when it mattered. Shows a lot about this team. Those last two series of regulation got me hyped up.”

Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis: “That’s why you play all 60 minutes and then some. As long as you have time on the clock you always have a chance and it showed the resilience of this team.”

McKinney North WR JJ Henry: “It was exciting to watch.  A lot of players stepped up to make big plays. It was a very good game.”

New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris: “A win is a win.”

Mansfield Summit OLJacoby Jackson: “It was a crazy high scoring game.  I got nervous for Texas but I’m glad they pulled it out.”

Frisco Liberty WR Evan Stewart: “I was hype, not even gonna lie.  The Texas DBs were getting me even more hype on the last drive.  They were lock down.”

St. Louis (Mo.) University cornerback Isaac Thompson: “I feel like this is the year Texas makes it to the college football playoff. They look really good.”

Spearman (Texas) athlete Brenen Thompson: "It's crazy because our game Friday went into OT too.  It was just fun to watch."

Mansfield Timberview DB Landon Hullaby: "It definitely had a lot of ups and a lot of downs, but they pulled it off."

Plano (Texas) John Paul II cornerback Braxton Myers: “I thought it was an exciting game. The offense and defense went back and forth all game but the Texas defense came up big when they needed to.”

El Campo (Texas) running back Rueben Owens: "I didn't get to watch, but I saw the highlights and it looked like a great game."

We will continue to update throughout the evening.

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

DL was excellent in the run game. Gotta give Overshown props if you're talking about LBs, from what I recall he played well.

Go back and look at T.J. Vasher's touchdown on a slant at the end of the 3rd quarter. Overshown half-heartedly tries to jump the route and is completely out of position.

edit: He also sad SaRoderick Thompson in his grasp on that 75-yard touchdown run, but crashed into Foster(?) and let him loose.

Edited by satyanash

Mansfield Summit OLJacoby Jackson: “It was a crazy high scoring game.  I got nervous for Texas but I’m glad they pulled it out.”

Ok, I'm not thinking Tech is in it for Jacoby Jackson.  

The recruit reactions are great--didn't come away with the same sky is falling sentiment as the fanbase.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

The recruit reactions are great--didn't come away with the same sky is falling sentiment as the Surly.

FIFY

Edited by Bear19

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

The recruit reactions are great--didn't come away with the same sky is falling sentiment as the fanbase.  

dont give us @satyanash level of blue balls post all the reactions 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

As strange as it may sound, recruits are much more capable of compartmentalizing the results of each game than us fuccbois.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Probably sees himself as a Day 1 starter

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

As strange as it may sound, recruits are much more capable of compartmentalizing the results of each game than us fuccbois.

In general, I feel like people who have recently played competitive sports get the "sometimes the other guy is just real fucking motivated that day" mentality. 

Flipside is, no question getting the W is always key, and the coaches definitely need to figure some shit out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In general, I feel like people who have recently played competitive sports get the "sometimes the other guy is just real fucking motivated that day" mentality. 

Flipside is, no question getting the W is always key, and the coaches definitely need to figure some shit out.

They’re also not diehard lifelong fans so they don’t have the battered fan syndrome we do. They just see an exciting game. 

Hell, even if someone just started following UT when Charlie got here, today’s game would’ve brought back a flood of PTSD-inducing memories. 

• Hook 'Em 2

When it was 56-41 it had a Charlie Strong against Cal feel to it. Total implosion by the defense, special teams that would make the Three Stooges blush and a 3rd quarter disappearing act by the offense. The only thing missing from a Charlie special was screwing up the coin flip. Without the best QB in college football we are a total shit show right now. Fans have every right to be on edge right now 

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Because Tom Herman. Did they even take Yurich with them? That game on offense felt like a 100% Herman special we went in there thinking we where going to roll a shitty tech team and with scripted plays got up 10 points and then turtled and then fell behind and got desperate after a bunch of 3 and outs and then broke out the shitty stupid trick plays.

The needless trick plays when we were doing anything we wanted gave me a very sick feeling in my stomach. I would love to think all of last year’s problems were on Tim Beck but that symptom appears to be all Herman. 

• Like 1

If we are looking for a silver lining, our three biggest recruiting rivals did not exactly set the world on fire yesterday. LSU is going to be shit this year and gargle balls like I thought. Rattler looks like a freshman and Aggy looks like they are in mid season form already. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Newy25 said:

If we are looking for a silver lining, our three biggest recruiting rivals did not exactly set the world on fire yesterday. LSU is going to be shit this year and gargle balls like I thought. Rattler looks like a freshman and Aggy looks like they are in mid season form already. 

Unlike those teams, we did actually create excitement with a pulsating come from behind win.  We have a chance to move forward.

Of course, we have some obvious issues to overcome ( OL play, poor tackling, turtle play calling, etc).

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Best QB in college football? Guess I’m the only guy who thought Ehlinger looked like shit today. He pulled it together at the end for sure, but lots of bad throws and bad decisions throughout the day. Particularly on a few options, unless they were actually predetermined in which case why aren’t we letting our senior QB have the reins? 

Yeah Sam wasn’t doing the team any favors until the end.  He really had a bad game until 3 mins left.   Hopefully he got that out of his system.  I’m getting a little concerned about his accuracy but we will see if it gets better next week.  

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The needless trick plays when we were doing anything we wanted gave me a very sick feeling in my stomach. I would love to think all of last year’s problems were on Tim Beck but that symptom appears to be all Herman. 

The double pass play later in the game scared the shit out of me and almost got returned for six.  That said, it failed because Sam threw low to the the receiver and the receiver threw it a tad shallow back to the qb.  If he had hit Sam, there were blockers set up a for a very large gain and possible TD. Just poor execution. 

26 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The double pass play later in the game scared the shit out of me and almost got returned for six.  That said, it failed because Sam threw low to the the receiver and the receiver threw it a tad shallow back to the qb.  If he had hit Sam, there were blockers set up a for a very large gain and possible TD. Just poor execution. 

It’s easy to blame poor execution on trick plays but the execution difficulty level of those plays are extremely high. We were chewing their defense to bits with easy to run shit. We scored 31 fucking first half points relatively easy. It’s terrible risk/reward assessment and game management. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s easy to blame poor execution on trick plays but the execution difficulty level of those plays are extremely high. We were chewing their defense to bits with easy to run shit. We scored 31 fucking first half points relatively easy. It’s terrible risk/reward assessment and game management. 

What trick plays did we run besides the double pass when we were in like 2nd and 20? I don’t remember any other trick plays, especially not when our offense was actually working. 

39 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yeah that qb throwback has been in the Herman playbook since day 1.  It has utility and stresses the defense in a cascading way more often than not, at least in the past.  The execution on that play and the rest of the offense was bad and mostly due to his late throws, and underthrowing the deep ball.  Sam was waay way off with his accuracy all game and a massive amount of luck made it all look like an expert comeback by a grizzled veteran.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Best QB in college football? Guess I’m the only guy who thought Ehlinger looked like shit today. He pulled it together at the end for sure, but lots of bad throws and bad decisions throughout the day. Particularly on a few options, unless they were actually predetermined in which case why aren’t we letting our senior QB have the reins? 

As per usual In Lubbock the wind was about 20mph during the game. That is tough to throw in, but definitely not his best game. 

14 hours ago, victory88 said:

With ou, LSU, tcu all losing ....  And aggy looking fucking horrible against a vandy team that almost didn’t have enough players to play.... we need to hit the recruiting trail hard.  Fuck all these regional schools.  

The best thing to happen to A&M was their game being relegated to the SEC Alternate channel that many recruits probably don't have 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Yeah, basically other than Bama, everyone we frequently butt heads with on the recruiting trail looked like shit, except for maybe Baylor, but I doubt anyone actually watched that game 

Just now, Fud said:

Yeah, basically other than Bama, everyone we frequently butt heads with on the recruiting trail looked like shit, except for maybe Baylor, but I doubt anyone actually watched that game 

Even Baylor was only up on Kansas by 10 at the half and was barely out gaining them in yardage. They obviously pulled away in the second half, but they weren’t outplaying Kansas from the start. 

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Even Baylor was only up on Kansas by 10 at the half and was barely out gaining them in yardage. They obviously pulled away in the second half, but they weren’t outplaying Kansas from the start. 

Well, if we butt heads against Kansas for an OL do we point to the Baylor game or not?

• Hook 'Em 1

Two kick returns for touchdowns skewed that score and helped them break away a little. their offense was not very impressive from what i saw.

As per usual In Lubbock the wind was about 20mph during the game. That is tough to throw in, but definitely not his best game. 

Didn’t seem to bother Tech much. But I guess they are a bit more used to it than us so there’s somewhat of an advantage. The OL being a swinging door certainly didn’t do Sam any favors either.

But when they only rush 3, Sam needs too run or there needs to be some shallow to mid range outlets. Sam seemed like he was trying to stay in the pocket somewhat. And receivers need to come back to the qb. He threw a few behind but tech receivers were making great catches and Texas receivers weren't. Texas was definitely feeling the pressure. but I'm hoping that was our cal, byu, umd trap game and Texas survived. 

• Like 1

Where will sam run when they rush 3 and drop 8?  That defense by definition covers all the areas and has defenders looking at the qb from their zone responsibilities. 

How about don’t take holding and chop block penalties at the start of drives to have us at 1st and 20 inside our own 20?  Turning a good first down play into 1st and 20 ten yards back is a staple of our offense.

how about our 5 OL being able to block 3 DL for 4 seconds?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

What trick plays did we run besides the double pass when we were in like 2nd and 20? I don’t remember any other trick plays, especially not when our offense was actually working. 

Does the play where Bijan put both of his heels in his mouth count as a trick play?  Because that was a real trick that I've never seen anyone do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1