Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

21 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"Does the play where Bijan put both of his heels in his mouth count as a trick play?  Because that was a real trick that I've never seen anyone do."

I guess you have never seen south austins mom in action then?

"In action" is a strange way to phrase it. She mostly just lays there. 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Where will sam run when they rush 3 and drop 8?  That defense by definition covers all the areas and has defenders looking at the qb from their zone responsibilities. 

How about don’t take holding and chop block penalties at the start of drives to have us at 1st and 20 inside our own 20?  Turning a good first down play into 1st and 20 ten yards back is a staple of our offense.

how about our 5 OL being able to block 3 DL for 4 seconds?

There were some offsides, chopblock and they managed to bottle Sam with 3 DT and a linebacker spying.  I remembered a few throws like this incompletion where there was a lot of green for Sam:

image.png.0d07497f0b6ef8f47e6a4982cc688e58.png

where they even dropped linebackers into coverage which stood out in my minds eye more than these:

image.png.4fa56eb53db1985d6b362ad422b67e16.png

looks like there's room but the linebacker comes up when Sam steps up into the pocket which then implodes. The linemen stunk even worse on the rewatch. 

Edited by Mdhorn

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Definitely.  Tillman is a gooner but I didn’t think he sounded Biased.  Brando even had to say “look we don’t care who wins but”

Watch our touchdown plays, you can audibly hear Tillman groan and whine while we score. He may not have made it as known as Brando, but it's there if you listen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

From this view it looks like "#14- far left in the picture" should break open but I would say that E. should have checked down to the outlet receiver and force the linebacker to make an open field tackle. Where did the play go? If another second goes by then the outlet route would be shutdown as well. In reality, the pass should already be on its way.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Brando = Mike Farrell on TV

Spencer Tillman player ball at OU. You can do the math from there. 

Spencer Tillman is more impartial than Brando.  Go back 30 years and Brando was doing the same shit about the Horns.  No idea why.  And tbf, when the refs fucked us and entrapped Charlie vs Okie St, Tillman all but came out and accused the refs of being paid off.  Brando is just a syphilitic, red-light waterfront gloryhole.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Spencer Tillman is more impartial than Brando.  Go back 30 years and Brando was doing the same shit about the Horns.  No idea why.  And tbf, when the refs fucked us and entrapped Charlie vs Okie St, Tillman all but came out and accused the refs of being paid off.  Brando is just a syphilitic, red-light waterfront gloryhole.

Brando is a devout LSU fan. He went to ULM, but came up in the business calling LSU hoops. His UT hatred is mystifying. My best guess is that he has Louisiana little man syndrome about the State of Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah,  agree with @billfromlaketravis

Brando probably developed his dislike for TEXAS while in Louisiana...

Wiki Profile:  

Born  February 27, 1956 (age 64)   Shreveport, Louisiana, U.S.

Alma mater Fair Park High School,  University of Louisiana at Monroe

"In 1976 Brando was a disk jockey at radio station KROK-FM in his native Shreveport, Louisiana. From 1981 to 1986, Brando was the assistant sports director at WAFB-TV in Baton Rouge; he did telecasts of Louisiana State University men's and women's basketball[1] on Tigervision."

Edited by LTtxfan
Bill from Lake Travis beat me

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah,  agree with @billfromlaketravis

Brando probably developed his dislike for TEXAS while in Louisiana...

Wiki Profile:  

Born  February 27, 1956 (age 64)   Shreveport, Louisiana, U.S.

Alma mater Fair Park High School,  University of Louisiana at Monroe

"In 1976 Brando was a disk jockey at radio station KROK-FM in his native Shreveport, Louisiana. From 1981 to 1986, Brando was the assistant sports director at WAFB-TV in Baton Rouge; he did telecasts of Louisiana State University men's and women's basketball[1] on Tigervision."

I've worked with several LSU alums/Louisiana natives from Brando's generation. There's definitely a Little Man Syndrome/jealously/disdain towards Texas going on there. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:13 PM, torre said:

Christian Jones had key mistakes - chop block,  couldn't pick up the stunt.   Checked his bio after the game,  very  inexperienced,  began playing football his junior year of high school. No other option ?

With the benefit of hindsight, an ankle injury last spring seems to be the only thing that kept Christian Jones from parlaying the buzz he created in practices leading up to the Sugar Bowl at the end of 2018 into a featured role up front. If the former soccer player who didn't take up football until his junior year of high school is going to make his move, he can do it in 2020 with the right tackle job open and Jones possessing all of the tools to man the spot.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-10-former-recruiting-sleepers-help-Texas-win-in-2020-Tom-Herman-Sam-Cosmi-Chris-Brown-147515541/#147515541_5

you are in the wrong thread.

this is where you mean to be: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/forum/2-football/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

His direct quote was "I wanted to come to school here, but they wanted me to backpedal"

Actually, still no. At least not the part i am talking about. Could ware have talked out of his ass and changed the story? Probably, but he without a doubt said Texas did not call him.

• Fuck You 4

IT: Scoop

Spoiler

By: Gerry, Eric, and Justin

Team news following Texas' victory at Texas Tech, updates on 2021 recruiting targets, and notes/quotes from some of UT's top targets in 2022.

TEAM

In the preceding years of Tom Herman’s tenure we’d be discussing a loss this Monday morning. It would have been one of those all too familiar team-wide meltdowns where UT lost in all three phases of the game as well as on the headsets.

Thanks to a very late, improbable comeback, that’s not the case. Lincoln Riley can have that conversation this week.

It is frustrating, however, that this may not be a predictably good team week in and week out. Instead, we may have to rely on last year’s sentiment of ‘if you play like the bad team enough, you are the bad team.’ I don’t think that will be the case but there is a lot to correct and there were certainly signs of ‘same old Texas,’ notably struggling on the road.

We suspected with so much staff overhaul Texas would be hit harder than most schools when it came to playing sound, fundamental football. That would be the case even before the tumultuous uneven offseason where the new coaches were limited by how much they could teach.

Sundays are for corrections and there is a lot to correct. The team worked on tackling. Ash hates they didn’t have a spring to work on it but realizes nobody else did either. He didn’t light into the defense too much which tells us he thinks this is going to get worked out fairly quickly. Tackling is something that can be improved quickly.

The defensive backs and linebackers worked on coverage technique. Man coverage is difficult for linebackers, especially Mikes versus a team like Tech, but Mitchell was too often flat-footed. He was playing slow. The staff thought there would be some give and take in the passing game and they thought they’d turn Alan Bowman over, which they did. Coverage wasn’t all bad, even on some of the positive plays for Tech, but there’s plenty to clean up and they better do it in a hurry with a capable TCU on the way to Austin.

Special teams showed a frustrating amount of mental mistakes. Not honoring the onside kick, Jamison trying to field the punt from the side of his body, and a missed block. That should all be easy to fix, but will they find new ways to mess up? I think Jay Boulware is a good special teams coach. We’re going to find out relatively quickly, if so.

I don’t know what to tell you about the offensive line. There’s too much time in the program for these players to struggle like they have, though this particular unit hasn’t played much together. Some errors could conceivably be chalked up to lack of cohesion. There isn’t enough depth across the line so competition is largely absent. The one player who can provide competition at two positions, Isaiah Hookfin, is still banged up.

The long lull of offensive ineptitude in the second half looked all too familiar to last year, before Mike Yurcich arrived. That caught a lot of people’s attention but we didn’t talk to anyone with a good explanation beyond poor execution.

The offense should get a jolt with the return of Jake Smith, though it isn’t 100 percent certain he’ll play. He didn’t practice yesterday but he is expected to play on Saturday. We agree with those who have stated it’s important to get him back and integrated into the offense before OU, but they really need him versus TCU too.

We think Tarik Black will see his playing time restored but the ball is in his court.

Two games down and the team is mostly healthy. Bijan Robinson was at practice after his horrific looking crash landing.

Just a general note: if a player’s snap allocation is dramatically reduced you can rest assured there’s an accountability lesson being learned. We’re not going to drag the details of every player’s miscues before the public.

JAYDON BLUE

Klein Cain lost a thrilling opener versus Bridgeland last Friday, but Cain’s Jaydon Blue had himself a good outing with 224 yards on just 22 carries. The 5-foot-11, 205-pound national Top 100 runner for the Class of 2022 was happy to be be back on the field.

How’d it feel to get back to football?
“It felt good. I’ve been working for this since the quarantine, working out with my teammates. Getting stronger and faster. I’m finally happy to be back. It’s something we’ve been waiting on since last March. So it felt good to be back. Two touchdowns, I can do better. I’m just getting back in my groove. Next week it’ll be better.”

UT, LSU, and OU are his top schools:
“They’re just great schools. I stay in touch with those coaches the most. I talked to Coach Herman earlier today (Friday).”

Thoughts on Drayton.
“He’s a very good dude. He’s probably one of the best running back coaches in the country. I went for a camp, I think my freshman year, and he taught me a bunch. Ever since he’s been in contact with me.”

Who he talks to at Texas:
“I talk to Coach Herman a lot. I talk to Brandon Harris, Bryan Carrington, even Coach Yurcich.”

If LJ committed ahead of him would that affect things?
“No, I’m a hard working dude. I don’t really care who is in front of me, I’m going to work for that spot because I know what I can do. Really it doesn’t affect me, wherever I go is just based off how good the school is, if I can trust the coaches. I’ve known LJ a long time. He’s a very good football player.”

Recruits he keeps in touch with:
“I talk to Jalen Milroe, he was committed to Texas. I talk to Quinn Ewers. He’s trying to get me to go there every day. Phaizon (Wilson), I talk to him too. He tries to get me to go to Texas.“

On Coach Drayton, Coach DeMarco Murray (OU), Coach Kevin Faulk (LSU):
“They stay in contact with me every day and tell me how much they want me. I’m just taking my time to see which one fits me best.”

We still feel good about where UT sits with Blue. Big thanks for the help, @Okamvy.

In speaking with a source, everything still remains the same in the Albert Regis recruitment. Texas defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen continues to be in touch with the La Porte coaching staff on a weekly basis, and is maintaining weekly communication with Regis. Texas A&M's Terry Price is communicating with Regis directly, and is not in touch with the La Porte coaching staff nearly as much. The Longhorns continue to be considered the front runner with the Aggies right there.

Texas continues to build a relationship with Dont'e Thornton from Mount Saint Joseph in Baltimore. This quickly developing recruitment is at the point of Thorton and a key person very close to his recruitment looking to get to Austin and take a look at the city and campus. Oregon has been the leader for a while with North Carolina, Notre Dame and now Texas and Georgia squarely in the mix. Tom Herman, Andre Coleman and other members of the staff have all had communication with Thornton and family in the last week.

Members of the Texas staff were working after their comeback win over Texas Tech and losses by Oklahoma and LSU. Among the many prospects members of the Texas staff reached out to were Thornton, Terrence Cooks, Oklahoma 2022 WR commit Jordan Hudson, Del Valle 2022 WR Caleb Burton and Oklahoma State WR/ATH commit Raymond Gay.

CALEB BURTON

It happens with every recruit. The more attention they get, the more stressful it can become. For the 2022 Del Valle five-star wide receiver, he's handling it all in stride.

"I'm just ready for football," said Burton. "I'm excited because it feels like so long ago."

His lofty goals are bred from a competitive nature and being around the game so long.

"My goals are 1200 yards and 25 touchdowns this fall," Burton said. "I want a high 'yards per carry' average as well. I've been working on my speed and quickness, exploding in and out of my breaks, and ball skills."

At 6-foot-0, 172 pounds, the nation's top rated wideout is working on making a top schools list out of his 38 offers.

"The schools you could expect to see are Clemson, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama," said Burton.

Burton was able to catch the first half of Texas-UTEP a few weeks ago from DKR. Burton was definitely impressed.

"I was at the UTEP game a couple weeks ago," Burton said. "I loved what I watched. The offense looks great. Coach Yurcich and Coach Coleman have done a great job. The receivers look more disciplined and explosive. It was fun to watch."

Arming UT pledge Quinn Ewers with weapons is a priority for this staff. Burton watched the 2022 Southlake Carroll five-star signal-caller last year and came away curious.

"He's the real deal," said Burton about Ewers. "I watched him last year in the playoffs versus Duncanville. He can make every throw. He's smart too. He's athletic, but doesn't leave the pocket too soon."

Burton has been around the UT program for a few years and is very familiar with the team. He's continually building with the new offensive staff and the product on the field has his attention.

Texas will battle some big-time programs for Burton's services, but UT looks great today.

JAMARION MILLER

The 2022 East Texas tailback took over during his first game of the 2020 season.

With Tyler Legacy hosting the Lufkin Panthers in Week 1, Miller put on a show. He tallied 347 yards and four scores on 16 carries in Legacy's Friday night win.

For most at IT, Miller is well known. His older brother, Damion, starred at John Tyler and inked with UT on National Signing Day in 2017 but never made it to campus. Jamarion has been following big brother to games for years, and he's seen Austin the most.

For his junior year, he's got a new coach - Joe Willis - and new team name - Tyler Legacy.

"We're most likely going to the playoffs this year," said Miller. "We're finally bringing Legacy back up to the top since 2004 (its last state title). But overall, everyone is doing their best on the field for us to go deep in the playoffs."

Recruiting has certainly picked up over the last few months. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound four-star holds ten offers, including Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Baylor, Arkansas, and Washington State. Texas and Oklahoma have increased its contact of late. Miller isn't overwhelmed by it all, he's just grateful.

"It feels pretty good to just to have a nice, little talk with college coaches around the country," said Miller. "I know going to visit different schools will make the recruiting process ten times better, when they finally let us travel. I’m still open for any school right now, and I’m just trying to get my class work done so I'll be able to go off to college."

Oklahoma is pushing hard, with RB coach DeMarco Murray in his ear early and often. Texas and Stan Drayton are also in the mix and might have a little more urgency today.

"I've liked Texas for a long time from now," Miller said. "Ever since my brother got recruited from them, I've liked the Horns. I love the locker room, the coaches, and the fans there."

Jaydon Blue remains the top priority, but if Texas takes two tailbacks in 2022 (and we expect them to), Miller is near the top. Your move, UT.

GUNNAR HELM

The 2021 Texas commit is eager for his senior year at Cherry Creek High School in Colorado. It almost didn't happen.

But now they'll play and he couldn't be more excited. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, the three-star tight end doesn't hear from many schools after his UT pledge just over two months ago.

“Ohio State is really the only one but they only text me every so often," said Helm. "I think they know I’m 100 percent all-in on Texas.”

Texas has had a little bit of everything from the tight end position two games into the season. Cade Brewer, Jared Wiley, Malcolm Epps, and Brayden Liebrock have all played this year, and he sees production and notices the balance of distribution.

“I’m seeing a lot of 12 personnel and it’s really making me excited," Helm said. "There’s a lot of explosive talent at every position.”

Until then, Helm is just waiting for his season to start.

JAYLEN THOMPSON

Another 2022 running back the staff likes is Jaylen Thompson, a 5-foot-9, 188-pound three-star from Saint Bernard High School in Playa Del Ray, CA.

If you ask the Cali native what schools he's watching on his Saturdays, I bet the Longhorns are mentioned early and often. He's 7-on-7 teammates with 2021 Texas commit Jamier Johnson, too.

His season was pushed to the spring so he's adjusting like most on the West Coast.

"My expectations this season is to rush for 2,000 and try to help lead my team to state and win state," said Thompson. "The recruiting process has been quite the experience, but it’s a blessing. Since we can’t take any visits, it’s just been like a waiting game. I’m just waiting on my turn to visit all of these great colleges."

Another Texas target at tailback, Thompson has a few programs standing out already.

"The schools that have made a strong impression on me so far are Texas, Oregon, Oregon State, and Colorado," Thompson said.

He did mention that UT really has his attention.

"Man, I love Texas," said Thompson. "I’ve always loved Texas since I played youth ball. I really like that they all play for each other out there. You can see it and feel it. I say that because this season they're starting off very fast and their defense plays with so much speed. Every time anybody makes a play, they go crazy for their guys, and I think Coach Herman and Coach Drayton are doing a great job."

With Blue, Miller, Tavorus Jones, and Jadarian Price, Texas doesn't have to look too far to fill its 2022 tailback crop, but this staff always looks out-of-state and Thompson could be a fit down the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

There were some offsides, chopblock and they managed to bottle Sam with 3 DT and a linebacker spying.  I remembered a few throws like this incompletion where there was a lot of green for Sam:

image.png.0d07497f0b6ef8f47e6a4982cc688e58.png

where they even dropped linebackers into coverage which stood out in my minds eye more than these:

looks like there's room but the linebacker comes up when Sam steps up into the pocket which then implodes. The linemen stunk even worse on the rewatch. 

In both cases the RB is wide open with open field and Sam doesn't give either one of them a look. Obviously on 3rd and 17, Ingram isn't picking up the 1st down, but it's much better than taking a sack and having to punt out of your EZ. It looks like Johnson has an easy 7-10 yards to get Texas back into a more favorable down and distance.

13 minutes ago, Ryno said:

Actually, still no. At least not the part i am talking about. Could ware have talked out of his ass and changed the story? Probably, but he without a doubt said Texas did not call him.

Based on the broadcast of the UTEP game and many other interviews over the years, this is completely wrong, but please continue to sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Remembering-that-rarified-Andre-Ware-14872858.php

An option quarterback at Dickinson — he had only one touchdown pass his senior season — Ware grew up a UT fan and was recruited by the Longhorns, not as a quarterback, but a defensive back. “I was going to Texas,” Ware once told ESPN.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yea but those guys actually work for us.   But ware isn’t exactly a homer 

Galindo roots for us to get beat until it looks possible, then he rails on our development... He's at his worst for baseball. He takes it easy on is shaka and all female coaches. 

11 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Based on the broadcast of the UTEP game and many other interviews over the years, this is completely wrong, but please continue to sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Remembering-that-rarified-Andre-Ware-14872858.php

An option quarterback at Dickinson — he had only one touchdown pass his senior season — Ware grew up a UT fan and was recruited by the Longhorns, not as a quarterback, but a defensive back. “I was going to Texas,” Ware once told ESPN.

Reading comprehension is as hard as active listening for you. Have a good day, brother.

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

In both cases the RB is wide open with open field and Sam doesn't give either one of them a look. Obviously on 3rd and 17, Ingram isn't picking up the 1st down, but it's much better than taking a sack and having to punt out of your EZ. It looks like Johnson has an easy 7-10 yards to get Texas back into a more favorable down and distance.

Ingram’s not wide open at all on that 3rd and 17. There’s a LB right there covering him and would be there by the time Sam got the ball to him, plus you don’t throw a covered swing pass one second into a play on 3rd and 17. By the time Sam gets through his primary options on that play, Ingram is absolutely covered. 

The real problem with is Christian Jones getting beat on the edge immediately when he should know he has help inside so the only thing he can’t do is get beat to the outside and then the interior double team getting split so Sam has no room to step up in the pocket. That play was just an abject failure by the OL. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ingram’s not wide open at all on that 3rd and 17. There’s a LB right there covering him and would be there by the time Sam got the ball to him, plus you don’t throw a covered swing pass one second into a play on 3rd and 17. By the time Sam gets through his primary options on that play, Ingram is absolutely covered. 

The real problem with is Christian Jones getting beat on the edge immediately when he should know he has help inside so the only thing he can’t do is get beat to the outside and then the interior double team getting split so Sam has no room to step up in the pocket. That play was just an abject failure by the OL. 

I still dont really understand the strategy on putting all 3 of your best lineman on the left side and leaving the right filled with inexperience and Okafor. Why not put Okafor next to Cosmi and Angilau to help Jones on the Right

• Like 1