Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 11/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

Is CDC going to pay my medical bills when I stroke out reading "Herb Hand Flips Holy Cross OL Commit Austin Uke"? At least decommit for a while, so I don't have to read about a direct flip. Maybe I can get away with something  small and ischemic in that scenario.

He only played in three games as a junior before he transferred. USC and Penn State just offered. Florida State is reportedly close. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He only played in three games as a junior before he transferred. USC and Penn State just offered. Florida State is reportedly close. 

TBF, I was equal parts making fun of the sky is falling nature of our 9.95ers and the current state of our recruiting. That said, joining this list would just get us a ticket on the P5 Recruiting Struggle Bus.

Mike at Night

Spoiler

—It's been a rough month for Texas on the recruiting trail, but it's time for the Longhorns to get off the mat. Texas can do that this weekend when Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks makes his decision. The athletic linebacker prospect has been a huge target for the Longhorns since they offered him a year ago, and the work Coleman Hutzler put in on that front has been tireless since he arrived on campus. Cooks will decide between Texas, LSU, Baylor and Georgia. I think this recruitment really comes down to Texas and Baylor at this point. I've had my 247Sports Crystal Ball on Texas for a while and I have no plans to change it at this point. Barring something crazy happening at the last minute, I believe the Longhorns will be the victor on Saturday. Simply put, nobody put in more work, and while Baylor might have an advantage with Shadow Creek quarterback Kyron Drones committed there, but the recent improvement of the Texas defense and the feedback from former teammate Xavion Alford has been huge.

—If Texas lands Cooks, I think the combination of him and Morice Blackwell is a strong group. As the position moves more towards swifter athletes who can play in space, Blackwell and Cooks fit that to a tee. Cooks has been hampered this year with a hand injury, but he shows the ability to run and hit that isn't common in prospects at the position in state. Cooks is also a player who isn't nearly finished developing. His best football is probably in front of him, and he's just the type of guy Chris Ash wants to find for this defense.

—I'm in the process of confirming which commits are set to early enroll. So far, I've confirmed JD Coffey, Jaden AlexisGunnar Helm, Derrick Harris, Hayden Conner and Charles Wright are all planning to be in Austin for the spring. Speaking of Alexis, I exchanged a few messages with him last night, and he's not having any second thoughts. Education was always going to be a big component for him and football wasn't the only reason he committed. There are still a few guys I'm checking on in regards to early enrolling but haven't verified yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

TBF, I was equal parts making fun of the sky is falling nature of our 9.95ers and the current state of our recruiting. That said, joining this list would just get us a ticket on the P5 Recruiting Struggle Bus.

Florida State offered.

Sure, but the problem with everyone viewing Herman as a lame duck is that the top tier recruits are likely to go elsewhere. There are good players out there, but they're going to take a lot of development.

Edited by Schulz2.0

Haven't been on this thread in a while, so apologies if I'm repeating shit that has already been put out there. Cooks probably commits this weekend. Also, probably something coming out shortly about the complete and utter stupidity, arrogance, and sloth being exhibited by Herman and Hand when it comes to OL recruiting. They've utterly buttfucked some layups in the DFW and are showing no signs of righting that if either manages to hold on to their jobs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Haven't been on this thread in a while, so apologies if I'm repeating shit that has already been put out there. Cooks probably commits this weekend. Also, probably something coming out shortly about the complete and utter stupidity, arrogance, and sloth being exhibited by Herman and Hand when it comes to OL recruiting. They've utterly buttfucked some layups in the DFW and are showing no signs of righting that if either manages to hold on to their jobs.

CTJ, let's say worse scenario comes true and Tom slithers his ass into a CCG game...  He gets another year, does CDC allow him to make ANOTHER coaching change and replaces/upgrades Hand?  And would any OL coach worth their salt even attempt to come here knowing what Tom has just went through in 2020?

1 minute ago, hornfromdallas said:

if ur wondering what ctj is referencing about dallas he read the it article that came out today that said neither herman or hand has ever reached out to ol trainer donald hawkins 

you mean lifetime longhorn Donald Hawkins??  WTF are we even doing?!?!

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

if ur wondering what ctj is referencing about dallas he read the it article that came out today that said neither herman or hand has ever reached out to ol trainer donald hawkins 

i mean, why would they - it isn't like he has a clear tie to the program, is vocal about the program, is a trainer at a position of need or in an area of need.

breaking news GIF

he is all of those things? no shit! someone should tell those morons that is the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Getafix posted this in the Jimbo 2021 thread. Source is a A&M 24/7 thread titled "Where A&M stands with every top target in the 2021 class".

I pulled the relevant names below - LJ Johnson (Thinks A&M), JJ Henry ("UCF is the sneaky one to watch"), Bryce Foster (Like where A&M is, but OU not giving up easily, Oregon is right behind), Shemar Turner (A&M, Bama, Texas are the top 3 w/ drop off between first 2 and Texas)

Spoiler

-Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson

The national top-50 prospect is one of the few without a commitment timeline, even as the Early Signing Period approaches. Johnson says he plans to make a commitment whenever he knows for sure. He wanted to take official visits this fall but that obviously did not happen. Prior to the season, he was considered a heavy Texas lean. However, with the playoff of both schools so far this fall, A&M is in the best shape now. I like my Crystal Ball prediction for him, though it is not over just yet. But I think he will be an Aggie.

-McKinney North WR JJ Henry

Henry has been pretty quiet in terms of his recruitment. The speedy wideout, who can play outside or in the slot, was high on Texas for a while and also likes A&M but, if I were to bet today, I think he heads out of state. He is a player that wants to do his own thing and find the place where he both fits in the best as well as sees himself playing the most. UCF is the sneaky one to watch here. Henry does not have a timetable for a decision at the moment.

-Katy Taylor OG Bryce Foster

Foster plans to announce on his birthday, Dec. 18, which is the final day of the Early Signing Period. He has several schools still in it but A&M and Oklahoma are the main two. He has long been an OU lean but the Aggie season so far, and especially the offensive line play, has his attention. The national top-100 prospect is also aware that four of the current five starters are all seniors. Foster’s mother and brother are Aggies and the distance is a big draw, too. I like where A&M stands but Oklahoma is not going to give up easily and it could go either way. Oregon is up there just behind the other two but him not getting up there this fall hurts the Ducks’ chances. Foster would almost assuredly be an immediate contributor for A&M if he ends up in Maroon and White.

-DeSoto DE Shemar Turner

Turner has a top five but A&M, Alabama and Texas are the main three with the first two being ahead even moreso. I have long liked where the Aggies stood and that is still the case. Turner likes how A&M user bigger defensive lineman on the edge and also inside with DeMarvin Leal a good example of how he would likely be used. Others see him as a pure DT. He has also gotten to know former DeSoto standout Von Miller a bit and that has helped the Aggies, as has his relationship with Terry Price. Turner had been set to announce at the Under Armour All-American Game but, with that being recently canceled, his exact plans are up in the air. An Early Signing Period announcement could end up happening.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

you mean lifetime longhorn Donald Hawkins??  WTF are we even doing?!?!

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I mean, why would they - it isn't like he has a clear tie to the program, is vocal about the program, is a trainer at a position of need or in an area of need.

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

the it article that came out today that said neither herman or hand has ever reached out to ol trainer donald hawkins

Which is total bullshit because Texas recruited Leyrer and has been recruiting 2022 OG/C Caden Kittler as well. Hawkins is probably just pissed because Texas is "late" Uke but that's clearly bullshit. 

Ok, but let's be fully fucking clear here. this isn't a conversation that needs to be had but Herb Hand has absolutely fucked OL recruiting this year and that's the only reason why this is even a story at all. Name one person here who would've been happy with Texas taking Austin Uke or Joe Mehary at any point (even now?). Hakwins is not coaching Andrej Karic right now. Uke is getting a lot of attention because every team has reached the point of taking reaches and fliers on kids. If Hawkins wants to be pissed because they haven't reached out to Uke until now, that's fine but know that tweeting fireherbhand and firetomherman is all well and good for a common fan, but if he's going to try and get his kids recruited and be a trainer he's going to have to learn, it's a fucking long way down the 2021 OL list to get to Austin Uke. 

Hand with an absolutely colossal fucking failure in this and the 2022 class. Just a fucking abomination. Self-wrought at that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Which is total bullshit because Texas recruited Leyrer and has been recruiting 2022 OG/C Caden Kittler as well. Hawkins is probably just pissed because Texas is "late" Uke but that's clearly bullshit. 

Ok, but let's be fully fucking clear here. this isn't a conversation that needs to be had but Herb Hand has absolutely fucked OL recruiting this year and that's the only reason why this is even a story at all. Name one person here who would've been happy with Texas taking Austin Uke or Joe Mehary at any point (even now?). Hakwins is not coaching Andrej Karic right now. Uke is getting a lot of attention because every team has reached the point of taking reaches and fliers on kids. If Hawkins wants to be pissed because they haven't reached out to Uke until now, that's fine but know that tweeting fireherbhand and firetomherman is all well and good for a common fan, but if he's going to try and get his kids recruited and be a trainer he's going to have to learn, it's a fucking long way down the 2021 OL list to get to Austin Uke. 

Hand with an absolutely colossal fucking failure in this and the 2022 class. Just a fucking abomination. Self-wrought at that.

hey man we don't want you to defend Hand/Tom with rational thought..

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

hey man we don't want you to defend Hand/Tom with rational thought..

Hand’s done so much indefensible shit and such a terrible fucking job both recruiting and coaching that there’s no reason to make shit up. 😂

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

I don't read or subscribe to IT, stumblefuck. Like I posted previously, I haven't been following along lately, so I wasn't sure if anything had surfaced yet or not.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

You can think that Hawkins has stuff to learn and still be clear about the reality that not talking to him or working with him, ever, is fucking stupid. I don't even follow what else you're attempting to state in the post. Dealing with an ex-player and fan who is now training all kinds of OLs prospects, including the Brocks, is a regret-free action by a competent staff. Any argument otherwise is absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I thought the narrative was that Jimbo was talking with/prioritizing private trainers/handlers and that Herman didn't go that route, so the high school football corches would be sure to favor Herman and UT and funnel their players to Austin if Austin wanted any.  Herman not talking with an OL trainer in Dallas area wouldn't be a surprise in such a scenario. Or is that too black/white and meant for posturing but not the real life shit?  OTOH, haven't seen reference to Jimbo/A&M corches dealing with any trainers in this cycle. Maybe they're keeping a low profile considering the existing NCAA violations from last cycle?

Humidor

TEAM

Four players did not practice this week. That includes the brothers Ingram-Dixon, Keondre Coburn, and Jordan Whittington.

Reese Leitao has a broken hand but is playing with a club. There is a bit of optimism regarding him next year playing defensive end with a year to prepare for it. Leitao is a good example of how players can prove to be much more mentally comfortable on one side of the ball than the other.

We’ll have a bigger team portion next week. It’s a bye week and not much to talk about.

SCENARIO 1-3

The decision-makers are pragmatic and understand recruiting is sliding, but they won’t make a decision regarding the future of the head coach position off of that. The thinking is, if the head coach situation is worked out once and for all, recruiting will follow suit.

The AD is still struggling to raise money and that remains an essential point in deciding Tom Herman’s fate. He was brought to Texas to raise money and navigate difficult head coaching situations. Del Conte was brought to Texas for this exact moment and he understands that.

As crazy as it sounds, there is *some* discussion Herman wouldn’t be safe with a Big 12 Championship victory. We think that’s easier to say now, based on how people feel in November, than in December after raising the trophy with a dejected OU onlooking. But it does illustrate the hot water Herman currently finds himself, and if fundraising leading up to that game remains dire, then one of the major issues really isn’t fixed.

A loss to OU, should it occur, and the writing is seemingly on the wall. That would make Herman 1-5 versus the hated rival, with losses occurring on the headsets and in the week of prep as much as on the field.

Donor sources we talk to indicate Del Conte will have the financial support he needs even if the hire isn’t for Scenario #1(Urban Meyer).

We’ll concede Scenario #2 (Herman returning) is more likely than it was after the OU loss, but that isn’t to say it’s likely. That should be expected with the team being on a four-game winning streak. However, the decision-makers do understand the context of the winning streak and are receiving calls after ugly wins the same as after losses.

Everything on the Meyer front is quiet from direct donor and AD sources. We don’t think that’s a bad thing because Del Conte prefers to work in silence to the extent he can. We do know there has been misinformation given from the AD to donors, and high-level donors to mid-level donors. If you have enough sources you’re able to game out what is real and what isn’t.

Misinformation we’ve heard includes: whether a search for a search firm has been conducted (it has, though we don’t know the result), and whether donors are ready to help out financially, i.e., buyouts (they are).

We did hear that one former head coach with ties to UT does believe Urban to Texas is a possibility. We know it is, but it was interesting to hear this person thinks it’s possible too.

To balance that, one of my best agent sources is skeptical Texas can pull off such a move given the climate and cost.

As far as Scenario #3 (a search beyond Meyer), we haven’t heard any names in a while. James Franklin was thought to have a chance very early on, but he’d be a terrible hire and is proving that now.

If a change is to be made, they’re all in on Scenario #1.

RECRUITING MATTERS

Four-star Shadow Creek star LB Terrence Cooks is set to announce his commitment on Saturday at around 3:30 p.m. The Longhorns remain the heavy favorite over Baylor when checking in with multiple sources. Should the 6-foot-2, 210-pound speedy linebacker pick Texas, it will be a combination of football/academics and a close bond with linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler.

The addition of Cooks to Morice Blackwell would give Texas two extremely athletic space linebackers in the class. There is also JACK prospect Derrick Harris Jr. Should the Longhorns offer another linebacker in the class, Arizona verbal K.C. Ossaicould get the nod. The staff is closely monitoring Ossai, and there are some pushing for an offer with others questioning where he would fit in the defensive scheme. The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Ossai plays with excellent eyes, passion, physicality and makes up for lack of forty speed with football IQ and football DNA.

On to some (L)OL recruiting.

Former Texas and NFL offensive lineman Donald Hawkins trains some of the best offensive line prospects in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. That list includes Tommy and James Brockermeyer from time to time, Stanford commit Jack Leyrer and senior riser Austin Uke at Parish Episcopal. The list of younger prospects Hawkins is working with includes the next nationally recruited offensive tackle out of Highland Park — Robert Sweeney. Obviously, when recruiting the Brockermyer brothers, a staff would go through the parents. But there is information to be gained and key relationships to be built and needed with prospects to attain all pertinent information, and that would include a position specific trainer such as Hawkins. In the case of Texas, Hawkins not only trains some of the top offensive line prospects in the D/FW area, but he also played for the Longhorns. That gets to the point of the failures of the Longhorn staff recruiting the position. As of yesterday afternoon, neither Texas head coach Tom Herman nor offensive line coach Herb Hand has called or reached out to Donald Hawkins. Never. Not once. And let’s also add this, Jack Leyrer’s father is also a Texas graduate. So Herman nor Hand has ever reached out to the person that trains multiple targets/offers with parents that are Texas graduates.

Now on to Uke. If there is something that will cause Texas pause in offering Uke, it’s that he’s only a shade over 6-foot-3 without shoes on. Uke, however, has an 80-81-inch wingspan and 10-inch hands with terrific feet, body quickness, and flexibility in his ankles, knees and hips. USC, Florida State, and Penn State are just some of the recent offers with three more Power 5 offers expected in the next week. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand is scheduled to conduct a virtual visit with Uke on Saturday, and an offer is still possible or likely. Now if Herb Hand was being a thorough recruiter, he would reach out to Hawkins about Uke’s ability to be a quality tackle at 6-3.25 seeing as Hawkins was a 6-4 tackle that excelled at Texas and played in the NFL. Uke’s mom is high on USC right now, pending other offers likely to come.

The Longhorns wisely made an offer to 2021 Bryan Rudder playmaker Keithron Lee this week. Lee is seen by the Texas staff similar to Dajon Harrison in the 2020 class. Wide receiver first, but a player capable of playing cornerback. In the case of Lee, the defensive staff will battle more for Lee assuming he were to pick the Longhorns due to being a longer-armed athlete with more high-point ball skills. Lee’s growing list of offers includes Ole Miss, TCU, Texas Tech, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and SMU.

Inside Texas had him in the top 100 in the summer, but probably still underrated him. IT will see him tonight to get a more thorough understanding of the dynamic playmaker.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

After Charlie, I'm not even sure that's an apt comparison. More like a fat guy hiring a taste tester at a buffet... what's the point?

Optics and the distribution of risk to the search firm in case of a massive fuck up. Think back around 1998-1999 if Jerry Sandusky was a serious candidate for head coaching jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If they can hang on to Sanders (which is admittedly a big if) then the defensive class will actually be pretty solid. The offensive class is a total fucking disaster though.

Every defensive commit in this class is 4*/5*.  Hayden Conner is the only 4* offensive recruit out of 9 commits.