Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 11/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, gmr548 said:

I played center at 6’2” and
I vividly remember the two times I just got whipped from start to finish, one even got me pulled from the game... lined up against nose tackles that were like 5’10”. It’s like trying to push a fucking boulder off the line. Those guys just ate my lunch.

Short, stocky types with burst are a fucking nightmare at DT. You cannot move them.

Yep. Short works well for running backs and DTs.   Leverage. 

Gerry Hamilton said today that the early signing period probably won't get pushed back. If Tom isn't let go on Dec 1 and Urban hired shortly after this class has zero chance of getting an Urban bump.

This class is gone. Urban will have to fill holes with grad transfers.

Or we keep Tom and are fucked.

(Gerry Hamilton) Recruiting Matters: Who is the "cool school"

When Mack Brown arrived to Texas in December of 1997 followed by the Rick Barnes hire in April of 1998, Longhorns athletics was primed for a successful run. Brown was inheriting a talented roster that included future Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams as well as upgraded facilities. Barnes was met with a similar scenario when hired with Cooley Pavilion opening in 2003.

The recruiting landscape in the state of Texas was completely different and much more inviting, there were similar opportunities. Texas A&M was successful under R.C. Slocum but not a juggernaut and Oklahoma was going through more downs than ups. That meant there was no “cool school” Mack Brown had to overcome for top prospects in the state.

What happened in Austin was Mack Brown maximized opportunity on the field in season one, and on the recruiting trail signed the No. 1 ranked recruiting class headlined by USA Today Offensive Player of the Year Chris Simms and Defensive Player of the Year Cory Redding. The Longhorns were instantly on the verge of becoming the “cool school” in football in the state and region. The “Big 3” followed in receivers Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson and Sloan Thomas, along with a number of massive recruiting wins within state lines despite failing to get over the hump on the field. It’s long been under appreciated what Chris Simms’ Letter of Intent meant for the school.

Despite not getting over the hump on the field while Simms was the quarterback, it was huge in recruiting several member of future Texas teams and brought national attention to the Longhorns. The not-too-distant signings of No. 1 overall prospect Vince Young and McDonald’s All-American point guard T.J. Ford, and the success that followed for each, cemented the University of Texas as the “cool school”.

Fast forward to today, and the question for the Texas football program is who is the cool school?

The good new for Texas fans is that cool school is not Oklahoma or Texas A&M. While Oklahoma has enjoyed great success with former Texas high school QB’s turned Heisman Trophy winners and college football playoff appearances, they are not the cool school with prospects. Similarly, Jimbo Fisher has the Aggies in the AP Poll top 5 and with a shot at the college football playoff, but kids within the state are not reacting to Texas A&M like they are going to become the cool school in recruiting.

The cool schools for prospects since Vince Young crossed the goal line to beat USC have been Oregon and Florida, followed by a trio of schools nationally — Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. LSU is a cool school regionally, and at times nationally. Georgia sometimes finds their way into the cool school category, but that window will close if Kirby Smart continues to struggle to get over the hump. Oregon continues to be a school prospects mention romantically, but not the same level as when Chip Kelly peaked in Eugene.

Since the 2014 class, Alabama has signed eight top 20 ranked prospects in the state, including six top 10’s. Ohio State has signed six top 20 prospects, including five top ‘10’s. LSU has signed nine top 20’s, including six top 10’s. In the 2021 class thus far, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU and Clemson have all gained commitments that were/are top targets for the Longhorns.

Thus far in the 2022 class, Ohio State is riding a tidal wave of momentum and LSU has the top two domestic safeties on the commit list. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are holding serve for sure, but the early commitments and heavy leanings in the 2022 class reveals there is a place for a “cool school” to emerge in-state and close to home west of Baton Rouge.

The time is now to change the thoughts in the state of Texas. Texas football is finishing up another facility upgrade, Texas basketball is debuting a new arena in 2022 that will rival the nation’s best. The timing couldn’t be better for the powers that be to make Texas the “cool school” once again.

• Hook 'Em 1

The defensive side of the ball isn't tanking but the offense isn't helping their cause.  If dipshit Herman had an offense and won, then they're doing fine on that side of the ball too.  But teams with less beating Texas regularly while others take him to the wire, isn't showing anybody Herman is ready to take the next step.  It shows people that he has difficulty winning the gimmes.   

tOSU is winning their conference like they're supposed to, especially in a down conference. It's not until they get into the playoffs that they've had difficulty.  This year, they match up well with everybody and an NC isn't going to help our recruiting.  Get JoJo, dump Hand and focus on late developers and transferring linemen.  Have no clue why we're on guys so late. 

Edited by Mdhorn

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, sure... Ok 👌

Blowing bubbles, what a fitting picture lol. How do you build momentum when you can’t admit anything is wrong in the first place? Aggy is building momentum, OOS schools are robbing us blind and we are hoping herman becomes something he isn’t. Just fuckin great. I read the Turner update from Roach just now and man that’s depressing. Georgia leads now from all his comments. Says his mom loves the coaches. 2020 blows. 

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Quick Google shows the ND kid was recently arrested for criminal trespass/attempted robbery. It may be ND decommitting from him.

Yep.  

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting/report-notre-dame-de-commit-david-abiara-charged-with-criminal-trespassing/article_b9f1e95b-b223-5af9-a031-72d1eaffbfcb.html

Gerry Hamilton said it was a prank gone wrong. There might be more to the story than what's public.

Yes exactly. They were acting in a street version of Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving play, the scene where Charlie Brown pops a cap in Lucy’s ass as final retribution for taking the football away.
  • Haha 3

The "leak" was before the game right when Herman had a clear path to the CCG right?

I learned about it during the game when I texted my source a reference to Meyer. They then gave me that info. I think they had learned it well before the game, possibly last week.

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I learned about it during the game when I texted my source a reference to Meyer. They then gave me that info. I think they had learned it well before the game, possibly last week.

Right, so hopefully this was posturing to save face in case Herman rattled off some BS wins and won a fluke CC.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The leak is that he’s changed his mind about coaching right now. So that means either he’s really changed his mind, there is a money negotiation going on, or the administration is going another direction. I have no idea which one.

I'm just an idiot on an online message board but, save Meyer being charged with some kind of crime, I really don't see what could transpire that would cause the administration to begin looking elsewhere (assuming in this case, of course, they weren't rebuffed by Meyer first)

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

image.png

Burton would know as well...honestly there is so much smoke and I believe @Dbeasy BUT there is going to be so much posturing that I wont get really concerned until public statements are made. Urban had unimaginable leverage and Texas just kind of take it until Herman is fired and they can talk openly or a legitimate backup candidate emerges (unlikely)

I agree with you. There has to be a lot of moving parts. It could be posturing. I am 100% sure he was in play and interested. To decide this late into it to not move forward is strange. It really bummed me out when I heard because I thought it was just about a done deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Burton would know as well...honestly there is so much smoke and I believe @Dbeasy BUT there is going to be so much posturing that I wont get really concerned until public statements are made. Urban had unimaginable leverage and Texas just kind of take it until Herman is fired and they can talk openly or a legitimate backup candidate emerges (unlikely)

Remember when they announced LSU hiring Herman during the LSU game on ESPN? I have no doubt we are going to back up the brinks truck and close this out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

10 years of getting Buttf’d in the mouth by OU, in-state recruits leaving and national media highlighting all the mistakes doesn't sit well with the BMD’s.  They want to win.  CDC wants to win.  UM wants to be the first to win MNC’S at 3 different schools. Texas has the money, the players and his ego would love to bring Texas football truly back.  Hire him and prepare to win 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

10 years of getting Buttf’d in the mouth by OU, in-state recruits leaving and national media highlighting all the mistakes doesn't sit well with the BMD’s.  They want to win.  CDC wants to win.  UM wants to be the first to win MNC’S at 3 different schools. Texas has the money, the players and his ego would love to bring Texas football truly back.  Hire him and prepare to win 

You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX